Brown

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Brown

Post by OCanada »

In leagues all members get a vote whether they have a team or not. An example is the ACC when they wanted to add a team or two to get an AQ. Wake AD vetoed Hopkins and Loyola. His quote was “ Hopkins will win an ACC title over my dead body. “

The buck stops with the President and should.

Going to be at least 2 new ADs over the next couple years
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Bearfan wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:56 am Probably true on reading of the tea leaves.....it’s just the IVY league likely could have done a better job letting kids and coaches know a lot earlier in time to potentially withdraw. The whole process should have been a whole lot less obtuse.
Frustrating that I can go in my hometown library and take out a book, that I am encouraged to safely dine with a mask and restart the economy by shopping in person locally and that 60 some other D1 programs have found a way to make a season happen.
Not good for the IVY image and certainly very sad for the student athletes.
Do you know of any players that missed the withdrawal deadline?
“I wish you would!”
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

I believe the entire Brown Team is enrolled this spring. Although some discussed withdrawing I believe they all stuck together feeling they had a very strong returning core and unfortunately it did not work out.
I also believe had the IL presidents been a little more expedient with their likely decision some would have withdrawn in time.
Typical Lax Dad

Bearfan wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:06 pm I believe the entire Brown Team is enrolled this spring. Although some discussed withdrawing I believe they all stuck together feeling they had a very strong returning core and unfortunately it did not work out.
I also believe had the IL presidents been a little more expedient with their likely decision some would have withdrawn in time.
Thanks. Not easy an easy decision. Is Goss done now? He is an excellent goalie. Some very good players that don’t get a lot of press on that team. Some will show up in ACC/Big Ten down the road.
“I wish you would!”
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

So Ivy lax (all Ivy sports) a no-go 2020/21 but Brown can host lax quarters? ;)
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

If Brown does host the quarterfinals yet did not support a season of competition for the Brown players this year that would require a bit of discussion........maybe teams from only forty miles away will be allowed to play????.congrats to Providence and Bryant for making the quarterfinals
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

From twitter:

Brown Athletics Receives University Approval to Move into Ivy Phase IV - Grateful for the work of so many to make this a reality and allow us the opportunity to get back on the field.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Daly on the Brown Bears Sports Report, posted 4/8 "... we're pretty confident we can put together a 5 or 6 game schedule by the end of the month..." (24:30 mark of interview).
Well... optimism is nice. As he points out, under current BigEast restrictions, PC is a no: they've maxed out their allowed OOC games already so... ????? Is daly talking D2 D3 games? D1 Bryant is, HC & BU may be the D1 programs within travel restrictions (ish) distance.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:23 am Daly on the Brown Bears Sports Report, posted 4/8 "... we're pretty confident we can put together a 5 or 6 game schedule by the end of the month..." (24:30 mark of interview).
Well... optimism is nice. As he points out, under current BigEast restrictions, PC is a no: they've maxed out their allowed OOC games already so... ????? Is daly talking D2 D3 games? D1 Bryant is, HC & BU may be the D1 programs within travel restrictions (ish) distance.
I admittedly haven’t listened to the interview so I don’t know if a specific distance requirement was mentioned, but assuming travel is restricted to day trips then other southern NE D1 possibilities besides those three are UMass Lowell, Merrimack, Hartford, Sacred Heart, and Fairfield. Add three MAACs if the MAAC changes its tune on OOC scheduling: Quincy, Marist, Siena.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

The previously stated travel restrictions were 40 miles which would rule all of those out. If it is just a day trip then sure, there are a plethora of options but that hasn’t been the message from the Ivys so far. This asinine rule of course makes as much medical sense as saying you can play any school except those with “C” “O” “V” “I” or “D” in the school name.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Brown was supposed to play Holy Cross tomorrow, but they had some Covid issues on the Worcester campus. Bryant is scheduled for 4/27 and BU on 4/30. Daly points out with deserved pride that none of his players have transferred and almost everyone is on campus. Credit to the coaching staff and senior team leadership.
Typical Lax Dad

Can Opener wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:30 am Brown was supposed to play Holy Cross tomorrow, but they had some Covid issues on the Worcester campus. Bryant is scheduled for 4/27 and BU on 4/30. Daly points out with deserved pride that none of his players have transferred and almost everyone is on campus. Credit to the coaching staff and senior team leadership.
Thanks for posting that. The Fall will be here before you know it
“I wish you would!”
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

I hope that Seniors Goss and McCaleb get every possible game coming to them( and of course the entire Brown team). Wonder if or how many present Seniors will try to get another year at perhaps another institution(transfer portal) or if any have not completed their studies and can return next year to what hopefully will be a full season?
Just seems a shame that their first scheduled game against HC gets cancelled due to covid issues.!!!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Brown was supposed to play Holy Cross tomorrow, but they had some Covid issues on the Worcester campus. Bryant is scheduled for 4/27 and BU on 4/30.
Ditto thanks. No 2021 games posted on the Men's lax page yet. Wish they could play UPenn & Dart!
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Are they still hosting NCAALax playoffs? That considerably extends beyond a 40 mile radius.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

NCAA still working on how round 1 will work, so IDK if quarters & finals are set either.
socalax

Post by socalax »

I somehow doubt teams headed to the NCAA tournament will be willing to play OOC games at this stage - why risk injuries? I would expect to see BU and Bryant drop off the schedule.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

socalax wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:26 pm I somehow doubt teams headed to the NCAA tournament will be willing to play OOC games at this stage - why risk injuries? I would expect to see BU and Bryant drop off the schedule.
Tom Coughlin would see this a little differently. In the last game of the 2007 season, the Giants were already in the playoffs and facing a 15-0 Patriots team in a "meaningless" game. Coughlin took an old school approach and it paid off in silver dollars.

From the NY Daily News:
"We're here to play football," he told his players. "We're gonna play our starters. We're not changing who we are. Anytime you go out on the football field, you play to win."

Three days later, the Giants placed themselves on a path of unlikely mastery over the New England Patriots, winning everywhere except the scoreboard in a 38-35 loss that ignited an unlikely rivalry. Since then, the Giants are 3-0 against New England, including two improbable Super Bowl victories over the NFL's most dominant franchise of a generation.

My prediction is that schools like PC, Bryant and BU will do the right thing and play Brown if at all possible. Whether it's good for their teams, it's good for lacrosse. It's a small fraternity and the kind of thing Daly and the boys will remember for a very long time.
socalax

Post by socalax »

My prediction is that schools like PC, Bryant and BU will do the right thing and play Brown if at all possible. Whether it's good for their teams, it's good for lacrosse. It's a small fraternity and the kind of thing Daly and the boys will remember for a very long time.
That is a great story and I hope you are right! Situation is a little different as we are asking teams, during conference play, to add extra games rather than simply play their schedule like the Giants did. Bryant and BU are tournament bound and would need to insert a mid-week game to play Brown, and PC doesn't have space for more OOC games. To play even Hartford, Merrimack or UMass would require the IL to relax the 40-mile restriction. I hope Daly is successful as these boys haven't played competitively in over a year and even just a few games would be tremendous.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Let's gooooo!!!!

Brown will play BU this Friday night according to Inside Lacrosse.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... kend/57733

It is also listed on the BU website as a 7:00 pm start at Nickerson Field:
https://goterriers.com/news/2021/4/21/m ... night.aspx

I hope for the sake of the seniors that this game actually takes place. Fun fact: it will be the first ever meeting between these two programs.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”