Boston College

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Re: Boston College

Post by Cletus »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:31 pm
Cletus wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:43 pm *2/12
I stand corrected!
My apologies. I just don't want to add one more day to the long anticipated start of the season.

And I agree with you on how the Ivy is mishandling this. No definitive statement (unless I missed it) stinks for the young people who have a burning passion to play this great game. The BIg 10 is also dragging their feet in a sense because they have yet to allow their schools to post their '21 schedules. (Unless I missed that too.) I don't understand everything that's going on, or better stated, anything that's going on behind the scenes, but I do know that it's lousy for the student athletes, some of whom specifically chose their schools for lacrosse. It's inconsiderate of the universities, and frustrating for the players. I'm glad to see that some players are still transferring, the most recent being Michaela McMahon transferring from Penn to USC. But I know McMahon, and others, first choice was to be at the schools they enrolled in.

The season will be poorer without the Ivy's.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

The BC/UMass game has been rescheduled for Tuesday, March 2 in Fish Field House at Boston College. Should be a good one. Nice to see a game get rescheduled.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

The matchup against UAlbany has been rescheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 4 p.m.
Cletus

Good news for Boston area sports

Post by Cletus »

Beginning March 22nd, ballparks and stadiums can operate at 12% capacity Mass governor Charlie Baker announced yesterday. I'm not sure how this will effect college teams but I'm hoping it will spread to the Eagles.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Happening at the Dome too. A far cry from the good ol' days but it's a start.
Stadiums can reopen at 10% capacity, and fans must show proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of the event to enter, Cuomo said at a press conference. Fans must wear masks, participate in temperature checks and sit in mandatory assigned seating.
http://dailyorange.com/2021/02/fans-may ... uomo-says/
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:31 am Happening at the Dome too. A far cry from the good ol' days but it's a start.
Stadiums can reopen at 10% capacity, and fans must show proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of the event to enter, Cuomo said at a press conference. Fans must wear masks, participate in temperature checks and sit in mandatory assigned seating.
http://dailyorange.com/2021/02/fans-may ... uomo-says/
I'm thinking Mrs. R.U. Effinuts will be watching from home.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Too funny, was going mention that Mrs. Effinnuts should have no worries about anyone sitting in front of her and Family Phatasz should have all the room they need too.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Good profile of Charlotte North just posted on the US Lacrosse site:
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... rosse-star

It includes a link to her high school basketball highlight. Sorry if they have been shared here before, but they are remarkable. Uncanny ability to intercept passes.
https://youtu.be/-D1-hYHnhYI
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

So far the Eagles have exceeded expectations this year. They should move solidly into the top 10 in the rankings with the strong win over Virginia and losses by Florida and Penn State. Three of BC’s four wins have come against top 20 teams as of game time. Forecasts of eight losses in the regular season appear to be overly pessimistic now. I agree that winning on the road at Syracuse is a very tall order. I am much more intrigued by the back to back home games against Notre Dame in mid April. That is a huge rivalry for Boston College sports in general.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Can Opener wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:08 am So far the Eagles have exceeded expectations this year. They should move solidly into the top 10 in the rankings with the strong win over Virginia and losses by Florida and Penn State. Three of BC’s four wins have come against top 20 teams as of game time. Forecasts of eight losses in the regular season appear to be overly pessimistic now. I agree that winning on the road at Syracuse is a very tall order. I am much more intrigued by the back to back home games against Notre Dame in mid April. That is a huge rivalry for Boston College sports in general.
I got my hand raised. Those were my eight losses. I was completely wrong on that prediction. BC is loaded with underclass talent. And Charlotte North is a real force. Going to be very difficult for any team to completely neutralize her, not only around the goal, but also in the draw circle.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Can Opener wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:08 am So far the Eagles have exceeded expectations this year. They should move solidly into the top 10 in the rankings with the strong win over Virginia and losses by Florida and Penn State. Three of BC’s four wins have come against top 20 teams as of game time. Forecasts of eight losses in the regular season appear to be overly pessimistic now. I agree that winning on the road at Syracuse is a very tall order. I am much more intrigued by the back to back home games against Notre Dame in mid April. That is a huge rivalry for Boston College sports in general.
Agree with the sentiment here. They are a good team, with a lot of young talent, a good veteran and an offensive force. I like Hall, but the rest of the defense is pretty raw and young or less experienced. The top three -- UNC, SU and NU -- would expose every weakness.

You cannot keep them out of the top ten; agreed. But they will have to keep improving steadily to compete with a healthy Notre Dame, IMO.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I'll bet BC is #5 in at least one of the polls tomorrow.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

At 8:15 pm last night, BC tweeted this announcement about its game scheduled against UNH for 4:00 pm today in Fish Field House. Kinda odd.

‘Tomorrow's game against UNH has been postponed for non-covid reasons and are looking to reschedule for a later date.

We will still be playing at Hofstra on Saturday.’
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:30 am At 8:15 pm last night, BC tweeted this announcement about its game scheduled against UNH for 4:00 pm today in Fish Field House. Kinda odd.

‘Tomorrow's game against UNH has been postponed for non-covid reasons and are looking to reschedule for a later date.

Darn. Thanks for letting us know.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:30 am At 8:15 pm last night, BC tweeted this announcement about its game scheduled against UNH for 4:00 pm today in Fish Field House. Kinda odd.

It is odd. Thanks for the heads up.

No biggie in the end. Would have been a scrimmage for all intents and purposes anyway. Poor NH, what a decline—from former national champion to...whatever you want to call where they are now.

This was the last time UNH posted anything on their Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/unhlax/status/22526 ... 03648?s=21
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:48 am

It is odd. Thanks for the heads up.

No biggie in the end. Would have been a scrimmage for all intents and purposes anyway. Poor NH, what a decline—from former national champion to...whatever you want to call where they are now.

This was the last time UNH posted anything on their Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/unhlax/status/22526 ... 03648?s=21
This is a BC thread, so sorry in advance. I started following women's lacrosse when my kid started playing, and we would go over to UNH and watch Sandy Bridgman's teams compete. They were good teams, well-coached and featured some very good players. I learned a ton watching the games, where you could stand right behind the benches and listen to the chatter from about 25 or 30 feet away. Sandy could apparently recruit and coach. Sandy resigned to do other things for a while, including coach her own kid in high school. She's now the head coach at Div 3 Plymouth State in NH.

The UNH program hired Mike Daly, who had some success at Stonehill (a Div 2 championship, I think), but that didn't work out. The school then hired Sarah Albrecht in 2012. This is the history since:

2013: 6-11
2014: 7-10
2015: 6-10
2016: 6-11
2017: 3-14
2018: 6-11
2019: 10-7
2020: 1-4, then the Plague
2021: 1-3, so far.

46-84. You see the twitter feed is dormant since the hiring of Albrecht in late 2012. There is no outreach to local youth programs that I know of, and I have been involved and around local youth and high school programs up here since 2005 or 2006. The school has forgotten the program, and is apparently OK with...I was about to type "mediocrity," but that is not fair. At this point, the program fills out some Title 9 balancing needs; its purpose appears to be for the math, not for the playing or succeeding in the AE. I understand that this is a choice that the school is making, but it is just pretty sad.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

In other BC news yesterday:

‘After an incredible nine-point performance, senior Charlotte North has been named the IWLCA and ACC Player of the Week.

North led BC to a 20-11 win over No. 8 Virginia on Saturday, March 13, scoring seven goals on seven shots, while adding two assists for nine points. The Dallas native also had a caused turnover and season-high 11 draw controls.

She shared the IWLCA honor with Connecticut's Alyssa Parrella. Earlier this season, North was named ACC Co-Offensive Player of the Week (March 2).”

Her performance included this ankle breaker move:
https://twitter.com/bcwlax/status/13712 ... 84064?s=21
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:02 am This is a BC thread, so sorry in advance. I started following women's lacrosse when my kid started playing, and we would go over to UNH and watch Sandy Bridgman's teams compete. They were good teams, well-coached and featured some very good players. I learned a ton watching the games, where you could stand right behind the benches and listen to the chatter from about 25 or 30 feet away. Sandy could apparently recruit and coach. Sandy resigned to do other things for a while, including coach her own kid in high school. She's now the head coach at Div 3 Plymouth State in NH.

The UNH program hired Mike Daly, who had some success at Stonehill (a Div 2 championship, I think), but that didn't work out. The school then hired Sarah Albrecht in 2012. This is the history since:

46-84. You see the twitter feed is dormant since the hiring of Albrecht in late 2012. There is no outreach to local youth programs that I know of, and I have been involved and around local youth and high school programs up here since 2005 or 2006. The school has forgotten the program, and is apparently OK with...I was about to type "mediocrity," but that is not fair. At this point, the program fills out some Title 9 balancing needs; its purpose appears to be for the math, not for the playing or succeeding in the AE. I understand that this is a choice that the school is making, but it is just pretty sad.
Excellent piece, par usual. Have you considered sending this to the editor of any news publications in The Granite State?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:30 am
seacoaster wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:02 am This is a BC thread, so sorry in advance. I started following women's lacrosse when my kid started playing, and we would go over to UNH and watch Sandy Bridgman's teams compete. They were good teams, well-coached and featured some very good players. I learned a ton watching the games, where you could stand right behind the benches and listen to the chatter from about 25 or 30 feet away. Sandy could apparently recruit and coach. Sandy resigned to do other things for a while, including coach her own kid in high school. She's now the head coach at Div 3 Plymouth State in NH.

Excellent piece, par usual. Have you considered sending this to the editor of any news publications in The Granite State?
Hah. No way. If I thought this was sufficiently important, I would write the Athletic Director a polite note, asking why UNH and the Athletic Department are willing to settle for a coach who, after nine years at the helm, has a .285 or so winning percentage. Again, I think the answer is mathematics in the Title IX balancing act.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”