Robert Morris 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
romorooter_4.0

Re: Robert Morris 2021

Post by romorooter_4.0 »

Any word on which conference the team will be joining?

The team did start out initially with the CAA when the team was first formed. This would be good competition for RMU, and a chance every year to have some real resume building games. This is probably a long shot but it probably offers the best competition and exposure for the team.

If they went to the SoCon they would be near the top of the league right away. They do have relationships with a number of the programs in this league playing some of these teams each year. This is the obvious choice at this point. It does seem like the travel for some of the away games would be long, and the team would be facing 1 or 2 flights a year depending how the Jacksonville and Air Force games fall. With the talk of budgets and potential cuts around the lax community that could be tough on the wallet.

For the MAAC they would be the best team right away, and is not worth it for the MAAC.
Qckstk

Post by Qckstk »

Sorry, not better than Marist
romorooter_4.0

Post by romorooter_4.0 »

RMU would be competing for the MAAC championship right away. An affiliate member jumping right to the top is not ideal. Marist had a great game vs army last year and then had a few let downs. I think it would be a competitive games between the two, but id give the edge to rmu with the better offense.
Qckstk

Post by Qckstk »

I agree RMU would compete for the championship right away, as they did in the NEC. Not sure I’d agree with your offensive comparison after I saw Marist hang 17 on an Army team that was giving up 3 gpg.
romorooter_4.0

Post by romorooter_4.0 »

Maybe we will get to see that game one day. Maybe this year depending on the conference choice.

RMU can not afford to be independent this year. They have a good enough team to grab an AQ and play in a play in game or the first round of the tournament. If they are stuck as an independent it would be hard to motivate kids because their is no end goal. RMU is not at the level and does not have the scheduling to get an at large bid. Those are reserved for the ACC teams that did not get the AQ bid.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

romorooter_4.0 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:58 am Maybe we will get to see that game one day. Maybe this year depending on the conference choice.

RMU can not afford to be independent this year. They have a good enough team to grab an AQ and play in a play in game or the first round of the tournament. If they are stuck as an independent it would be hard to motivate kids because their is no end goal. RMU is not at the level and does not have the scheduling to get an at large bid. Those are reserved for the ACC teams that did not get the AQ bid.
I do hope that RMU can find a conference to play in this upcoming season with Perkins returning. They should be a formidable team. But with all the challenges that each team is going to have putting together a schedule within their existing conference and travel, I am not certain that this will happen. Compounding the problem for RMU is the location of the school. Pittsburgh, is not a quick turnaround bus ride to ANY team in D1 that I can think of. Many conferences have asked for less overnights and air travel so RMU may be forced to either play all games on the road or have a very limited schedule.

I am not saying won't find a conference eventually, but I have strong doubts for 2021.
romorooter_4.0

Post by romorooter_4.0 »

2021 will be one of the most talented offenses RMU will have ever had. Perkins plus Ryan Smith (#2 overall pick in the NLL draft), and Popovich returning. It would be a crime for them not being able to compete for a conference championship.

I think alot of coaches and players would prefer to have an overnight stay for away games. A up and back trip on game day is tough. But i do understand that budget cuts are a real thing. Thats why i think the SoCon would be a tough conference to be in for them because there is a minimum of 1 flight possibly 2 flights for games against Air Force and Jacksonville depending on how the fall.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

bar_down wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:28 am
Laxbuck wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:33 pm
bar_down wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:45 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:15 pm RMU in real trouble in regard to finding a league and a slate of games for 2021. Huge problem
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Lol.
What league have they joined?
We were told a couple weeks ago but I’m sure as hell not going to announce the new conference on a message board before the school announces it.

OK..... Still waiting for the announcement. Do dthey have a league or not What is the advantage to not announcing it at this point? Of course, they could stay in the NEC and be among the top 2 or 3, depending on who's view you take.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:33 pm
bar_down wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:28 am
Laxbuck wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:33 pm
bar_down wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:45 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:15 pm RMU in real trouble in regard to finding a league and a slate of games for 2021. Huge problem
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Lol.
What league have they joined?
We were told a couple weeks ago but I’m sure as hell not going to announce the new conference on a message board before the school announces it.

OK..... Still waiting for the announcement. Do dthey have a league or not What is the advantage to not announcing it at this point? Of course, they could stay in the NEC and be among the top 2 or 3, depending on who's view you take.
I don’t believe they were given the opportunity to stay in the NEC
romorooter_4.0

Post by romorooter_4.0 »

I believe the NEC felt slighted that RMU left so i do not think they are interested in having them back. RMU made the move for basketball reason.

If they already know i am not sure why they would wait to announce anything. The woman's program has announced their new conference few months ago. I believe that they do not know yet and the clock is running out. I think it is a 3 dog race for a new conference SoCon MAAC or the long shot CAA.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

RMU is a really solid and well coached team, and has one of their better teams ever on paper for 2021. Unfortunately, that is also a reason they seem unlikely to find a conference any time soon. The primary motivation for conferences to have affiliate members is to maintain their AQ or hedge against losing their AQ. No conference as currently constituted is in any immediate danger of that happening. The negatives of adding RMU (potential they win the AQ/not a geographic fit for any conference) far outweigh the positive of adding a good team to boost a conference's profile. I fear they might be in the same boat as Cleveland State until there is significant realignment, schools cut programs, or a new conference decides to sponsor D1 lacrosse.
romorooter_4.0

Post by romorooter_4.0 »

I completely agree and its a damn shame because they will not get an at large bid, and their team is too good not to have a chance at an AQ. i think it would be hard to get motivated with out that.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

redfoxalum wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:45 pm RMU is a really solid and well coached team, and has one of their better teams ever on paper for 2021. Unfortunately, that is also a reason they seem unlikely to find a conference any time soon. The primary motivation for conferences to have affiliate members is to maintain their AQ or hedge against losing their AQ. No conference as currently constituted is in any immediate danger of that happening. The negatives of adding RMU (potential they win the AQ/not a geographic fit for any conference) far outweigh the positive of adding a good team to boost a conference's profile. I fear they might be in the same boat as Cleveland State until there is significant realignment, schools cut programs, or a new conference decides to sponsor D1 lacrosse.
This will not help RMU's ability to recruit 22s & 23s if they don't land in a conference. I don't know of any player who isn't dreaming of playing in the NCAA tournament.
Andylovesgroundballs

Post by Andylovesgroundballs »

Hey you all worried ? This team is stacked!! They will compete in any conference you put them in. Hell put them in the ACC ! They will hold their own ! They got Jimmy PERK PERK The 7 year vet who will give the defenses fits this year. They Still are craving a couple lock down defenseman not just guys who can push transition. This has been their Achilles heal for awhile. Seems like they play defenders who are not so great at one on one defense or team defense but play the guys who get the ball pushed up to the offense end. A punch of long pole middies on close. They will also need to find a Goalie! Alex Heger Gone is going to be tough to replace. Heger saved their defense for awhile. Good Chance some teams may expose them. But All in All RMU is going to be tough to beat !! They need a good defense coach to come in their and coach them up that would help a lot. GO BOBBY MO !! ON TO THE ACC !!!
romorooter_4.0

Post by romorooter_4.0 »

RMU average goals per game over 15 years of existence
2006: 5
2007: 7
2008: 10
2009: 12
2010: 15
2011: 14
2012: 15
2013: 12
2014: 9
2015: 9
2016: 11
2017: 11
2018: 12
2019: 13
2020: 14 through 6 games
RMU historically is an offensive team and can score quickly and in bunches. With all of the offensive talent they have there is no reason they can not average 13 or 14 goals per game in 2021.
The Achilles heal with RMU was always defense. RMU average goals against over 15 years.
2006: 12
2007: 12
2008: 11
2009: 11
2010: 12
2011: 11
2012: 13
2013: 11
2014: 11
2015: 11
2016: 11
2017: 10
2018: 8
2019: 14
2020: 14 through 6 games
2018 was the year they games Maryland all they could handle. The defense needs to be figured out eventually for this team to be more consistent, and better against better competition.
romorooter_4.0

Post by romorooter_4.0 »

Any other news out of fall ball with how the team is looking/dealing with COVID?
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

In 2021, Robert Morris looks to have its best team in program history.
https://lacrossebucket.com/2020/11/20/r ... team-ever/
bar_down

Post by bar_down »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:20 pm
redfoxalum wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:45 pm RMU is a really solid and well coached team, and has one of their better teams ever on paper for 2021. Unfortunately, that is also a reason they seem unlikely to find a conference any time soon. The primary motivation for conferences to have affiliate members is to maintain their AQ or hedge against losing their AQ. No conference as currently constituted is in any immediate danger of that happening. The negatives of adding RMU (potential they win the AQ/not a geographic fit for any conference) far outweigh the positive of adding a good team to boost a conference's profile. I fear they might be in the same boat as Cleveland State until there is significant realignment, schools cut programs, or a new conference decides to sponsor D1 lacrosse.
This will not help RMU's ability to recruit 22s & 23s if they don't land in a conference. I don't know of any player who isn't dreaming of playing in the NCAA tournament.
They have a conference affiliation. The players and the families have known for a while. Obviously with the possibility that the 2021 season might not happen at all or may look very differently that it has in previous seasons the school and conference haven't announced it publicly. You're just going to have to wait.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

bar_down wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:50 pm
oldbartman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:20 pm
They have a conference affiliation. The players and the families have known for a while. Obviously with the possibility that the 2021 season might not happen at all or may look very differently that it has in previous seasons the school and conference haven't announced it publicly. You're just going to have to wait.
Won’t be as cold as the NEC
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Too bad,
was hoping for a return to the CAA.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”