When will HS Lacrosse be back?

HS Boys Lacrosse
COMMISH

Re: When will HS Lacrosse be back?

Post by COMMISH »

It's a bit of a nightmare in CA. With Fall sports status still undetermined, the probability of any sports having a season becomes less likely. IMHO, California (Newsome) thought the states playing a Fall sports schedule would have a spike. That was not the case, California remained on the sidelines and now, when sports were supposed to resume, COVID is in a full on second wave. I think the only reason California has not made a cancellation announcement is fear of litigation. And ultimately the kids suffer...
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

cltlax wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:07 am
Tdemling6 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:25 pm
cltlax wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:47 am
Tdemling6 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:18 pm HS here in the South starting to roll out schedules. Most states in the region planing to start on time. I've seen Feb dates for games and few late January dates for states that start that early.
North Carolina girls season is scheduled to start in Jan this year. Typically runs March-May.
Yes. Boys is Jan as well. Yeah, they usually start first week of March. Not sure why they pushed it up? Y'all played football there?
Football got moved from the Fall to February this year. They pushed lacrosse earlier to accommodate precious football.
That's right. I remember seeing that. I forgot they pushed football to spring there.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

COMMISH wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:11 pm It's a bit of a nightmare in CA. With Fall sports status still undetermined, the probability of any sports having a season becomes less likely. IMHO, California (Newsome) thought the states playing a Fall sports schedule would have a spike. That was not the case, California remained on the sidelines and now, when sports were supposed to resume, COVID is in a full on second wave. I think the only reason California has not made a cancellation announcement is fear of litigation. And ultimately the kids suffer...
I don't think it is unique to have delayed the Fall season. VA, MD and DC all pushed their Fall seasons to late winter. Basketball tryouts were yesterday in VA (though conditioning had been going on), as the Winter season will go first, then Fall, then Spring.

At the time states had to make decisions (VA's is not made by politicians for HS sports, BTW) vaccines were mostly theoretical and in-class instruction was not in the plan as of yet. In VA the hope was that by the start of Winter sports that in-class schooling for public schools would have started so having spots would make sense. We have not had in-class instruction, generally speaking, but are going forward with sports. You can imagine the various angry talking points about this.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Monsignor Martin delays start of low- and moderate-risk sports
https://buffalonews.com/sports/high-sch ... 6a7d5.html
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

KHSAA ruled yesterday to continue plan for winter sports and they pushed baseball and softball back a week. While lacrosse isn't sanctioned - yet, in Kentucky the two leagues still usually follow the KHSAA guidelines on everything. Usual start is last week of Feb/first week of March. Already have schedules out with games that week so should be a normal season in the Bluegrass. Only thing that can stop it would be local school systems JCPS (Louisville) has been much stricter than FCPS (Lexington). We'll see. But as of now, should start and finish as usual.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Looks like So Cal will (possibly) be returning on January 25.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Quint Kessenich
@QKessenich
4 days ago
If we attack 2021 with 2019 methodology, the lacrosse season will be a disaster.

Debunk the notion of leagues. Common sense says establish regional pods.

Start practice March 15, games April 1. Test & Play multiple games a wknd.

Play a regionalized national tourney in June.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

California

CIF announces guidelines for return of high school sports
December 17, 2020 8:08 PM
by Steven Felschundneff | [email protected]

The executive board of the California Interscholastic Federation issued a statement this week announcing that the California Department of Public Health has given the go ahead for high school sports competition to resume on January 25, 2021. The statement also includes detailed guidelines for each sport to return to play in the safest way possible.

The return to play is not guaranteed, however, because the public health department plans to revisit the issue on January 4. If the coronavirus outbreak is still surging at that time, competition could still be delayed or even scrapped.

The guidance from public health mirrors the overall COVID-19 risk, so if the county is in the most restrictive, purple tier, then sports will also operate under the most restrictive protocols.

Los Angeles County, along with 90 percent of the state is in the purple tier, the most restrictive, so the only sports allowed to compete come January 25 are: cross country, golf, swimming and diving, tennis and track and field. If the county advances to the red, or substantial, tier then baseball, field hockey, girls lacrosse, and softball would be added.

The county will have to advance to the moderate tier for badminton, football, gymnastics, boys lacrosse, soccer, volleyball, and water polo to compete. Finally, the region would have to be in a minimal, yellow tier, for basketball, cheerleading and wrestling to get the go ahead.

“Everyone in California wants students to be able to return to in-person learning, sports, and all other co-curricular activities that are so important for their physical and mental well-being,” the statement read.

For now the order allows for physical conditioning practices to continue, including skill building and training as long as they are done outdoors.

Competitions, meets and races are authorized only if both teams are located in the same county or if teams are located in immediately bordering counties. Out-of-state competition is not allowed at this time.

Any tournaments or events that involve more than two teams are not currently

permitted in California. Exceptions may be made, with authorization from the local health department, for the sports where individual competitors from multiple teams are routine like track and field, cross-country, tennis and golf.

Schools must still follow all guidelines from their local, county and board of education for the district.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

RT @CoachPino30: 6,700 people can attend a pro game as a leisure activity while disenfranchised HS athletes in NY may go as much 2 years without a season. Shameful. https://t.co/ILJpg5J9HJ
Caddy Day
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

In Nevada, the NIAA has cancelled all Winter Sports. Fall and Spring are still being considered, but as of right now there is no plan to move kids back in to the class room for Public Schools (well k-3 will be back end of January). Some private schools have been holding Hybrid learning schedules with kids on campus 1/2 the time. The Governor has placed a ban on most contact sports and our College and Pro teams couldn't even have fans. I honestly don't see HS sports coming back until Fall 2021.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

laxdad30 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:22 pmI honestly don't see HS sports coming back until Fall 2021.
i disagree. It won't be a "normal season". But we'll have lacrosse this spring. HS and college.
Caddy Day
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

laxdad30 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:22 pm I honestly don't see HS sports coming back until Fall 2021.
You realize that the majority of the country had fall sports and were successful, right? Oh, and winter sports are going perfectly fine in most states that have allowed them, which is a larger chunk than some would lead you to believe. HS lacrosse will happen in most states 100%. Could it look different? yes. But will still happen.
Tactful Lax

Post by Tactful Lax »

And look at how the number of Covid cases and deaths spiked. Coincidence?
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Tactful Lax wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:52 pm And look at how the number of Covid cases and deaths spiked. Coincidence?
I'm close to a lot of HS coaches in multiple sports and they have all said there has been little spread within the team. Every case I've seen or heard about was said to have came from outside of the team or games (ie. social settings, family, etc.). That's not to say its not possible or won't be any spread in competition, but from what I've heard there has been little through that avenue, as far as can be proven through contact tracing. Certainly take the precautions YOU need to as an individual, but it is 100% safe to play sports - especially one like lacrosse that is outside. But, that's just my opinion. To each their own.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Very good news for lacrosse, especially for states that may be still on the fence about playing or not.

Study shows NO spread in HS sports.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/high-schoo ... s-covid-19
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Tdemling6 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:02 pm Very good news for lacrosse, especially for states that may be still on the fence about playing or not.

Study shows NO spread in HS sports.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/high-schoo ... s-covid-19
That's big. Though I fear things like the UK variant, by early March this surge hopefully has tempered, and +50 million doses will have been administered to the most at risk and essential (fingers crossed the single dose J&J vaccine gets approved in February). That's a lot of factors. combined with not wanting to take two full springs away from kids, pointing towards a season. We probably don't see many interstate powerhouse match ups, or a few thousand fans at Homewood for the MIAA-A final, but I expect some semblance of a season in most parts.

Tdemling6, love the podcast.
MPSSAAlaxfan

Post by MPSSAAlaxfan »

I have a child in elementary school in an area private school. They are working closely with the county health department tracking cases, etc. He has been in-person 5 days a week since school started in September, with the exception being the requisite virtual days immediately following the Thanksgiving break and winter break. While there have been some cases in the school, he has not missed a single day as a result... Knock on wood. Just this month, the school reported that none of the handful of cases involving kids or teachers in the school to date were transmitted in the building. While they don't elaborate, I know in at least one case, the culprit was a sleepover. None of this means anything in terms of getting kids back on the field, but as a parent it certainly relieves whatever anxiety there might have been if the schools allow the kids to play.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Baltimore County and fall sports but relevant...

A motion passed tonight that, assuming things continue in the right direction, is really exciting for high school athletes!

"I move to resume high school fall sports on Saturday, February 13th, regardless of the status of reopening high school buildings, and to proceed in accordance with The Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association Roadmap for the Return of Interscholastic Athletics."

Rationale:
-We are moving in the right direction with our COVID metrics
-Fall sports tryouts typically start in the weeks before school starts, so it is not unheard of for these athletes to require their own transportation to tryouts or practices before the building is open for the rest of the students
-Generally, fall sports have less direct contact than winter sports and are played outside (except volleyball and badminton, but as a volleyball parent I can attest that there are safe ways to play this sport).
-The MPSSAA plan had fall sports starting on Feb 13th in their Competition Seasons Option 2 plan, so this coincides with the original plan
Caddy Day

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”