Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by kramerica.inc »

After the excruciatingly long, shortened season Towson had, you could probably hire Nads on the cheap.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:32 am After the excruciatingly long, shortened season Towson had, you could probably hire Nads on the cheap.
He would consider it too.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

He's a heckuva good coach. They lost a lot, but I didnt expect their falloff to be so great this year. The shallow recruiting pipeline is concerning though. He usually gets a lot of real good local public kids and tough NYers with a chip and something to prove. Guessing it was just a recruiting bubble. But can't say for sure.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

And Towson isn’t Hopkins. Not by a mile.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Since the Ivy league doesn't allow grad students to play, apparently the only way to return for a fifth year is to basically drop out and re-enroll next spring. I'm hoping some goalies enter the transfer portal and the Jays can snag one of them. I'm thinking almost anyone would be an upgrade.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:30 am And Towson isn’t Hopkins. Not by a mile.
If Nads can recruit Towson, I'd assume he could recruit Hopkins. It just depends if he would keep recruiting his old stomping grounds or hit up the regular prep schools where Hopkins has lived under Petro. Hopkins has more lax panache than Towson so I'd assume he would have a bigger lot of kids to choose from at Homewood.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:46 am Since the Ivy league doesn't allow grad students to play, apparently the only way to return for a fifth year is to basically drop out and re-enroll next spring. I'm hoping some goalies enter the transfer portal and the Jays can snag one of them. I'm thinking almost anyone would be an upgrade.
A lot depends on if the Ivy League changes their policy of not allowing graduate student-athletes. I've heard a few rumors that they will change that policy (at least temporarily) and allow graduate students to keep playing. If that's the case there may not be many transfers, though there probably still would be a handful.

If they don't change the policy and there is a mass exodus of 5th year Ivy players, I would expect Hopkins to be in the running for some of them. Carey can't really compete with the business schools at Duke, Georgetown, Michigan, Notre Dame, Virginia, etc. but if any of those guys are into the sciences, social sciences, humanities, education, public health, engineering, medicine, etc., JHU offers some great masters programs that could attract an Ivy graduate. The problem is I suspect a large number of them would be looking to get an MBA and that's not considered one of Hop's strengths in terms of graduate school offerings. SAIS is a world-class program but it's based in DC, as far as I know you can't play lacrosse and be a student there.

It also depends on who the coach is, and when we know who that person is. The sooner the better. And given the global crisis occurring right now, knowing "sooner" is going to be quite difficult unless they're keeping the same guy—which is why I think they keep the same guy for at least another year, assuming he'd agreed to that.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

It’s not just who you get as HC.

There’s the opportunity for getting a dynamite OC and DC too, plus volunteer assistant.

A new triumvirate working as a Team, hopefully being more respectful of the players, developing them, and leading them to achieve more, both on and off the field.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:31 am It’s not just who you get as HC.

There’s the opportunity for getting a dynamite OC and DC too, plus volunteer assistant.

A new triumvirate working as a Team, hopefully being more respectful of the players, developing them, and leading them to achieve more, both on and off the field.
Player development is a huge issue. Guys like Williams and DeSimone, both UA AA MOPs, have just never seemed to reach their potential. That's why I agree with other posters that SS would be a good choice for OC. Not all great players can teach, but he's a Stanwick. It's a large family where the older players taught the younger ones. Plus the Stanwicks are known for their attention to detail. Their dad would come to games with a clipboard and give each of them notes on their play. Attention to detail is what you need to be successful at the D1 level. I think Steele could develop the skillsets and devise an offense to maximize the talent he has. Players would look up to him. I'm not saying there aren't other offensive minds out there who would make a good OC, but I think SS deserves a chance on the men's side IMO.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:51 am Their dad would come to games with a clipboard and give each of them notes on their play.
Again, I want to stress I am not anti-Stanwick and I think he'd be an interesting name to consider for a future offensive assistant position, but this reasoning is absolute crazy town. First we should hire him because he'd shoot hard on the goalies in warmups, now we should hire him because his DAD has a clipboard and likes to take notes? I think maybe we should take a deep breath here. The potential benefits of hiring someone like Steele are pretty obvious and none of them have to do with warm-ups or clipboards:

1) he was a GREAT player, it wouldn't be a massive logical leap to think he might be a good coach, though we know one does not always necessarily translate to the other
2) though not an alum himself, he is very much a part of the Hopkins lacrosse family
3) he's from the area and likely knows the local recruiting scene well
4) his last name could carry some weight with recruits
5) he's younger and could, in theory, relate to today's players better than an old guy would

I think those are all intriguing things, and, once again, I want to stress I'm not shooting the idea down. But I think it would also be a mistake to just anoint the guy without a very, very thorough consideration of all other options. It would be quite a risk given his lack of experience when there are all sorts of guys out there for other programs who have demonstrated success at the D1 men's level. Look at what Phipps has done at Georgetown. A complete offensive turnaround for them in the matter of three years. He's also from the area, knows the local recruiting scene, but the difference is he's a done it already at a program like Georgetown that, IMO, has some similarities to Hopkins.

On a related note, there are congratulations in order as Steele and his wife just had a baby, named "Cryder."

https://twitter.com/HopkinsLacrosse/sta ... 8459088896
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Warming up the goalie is a BIG DEAL! Try reading Bob Scott's book - Lacrosse: Technique and Tradition
News Flash, our goalie play has sucked the last five years.
The goalie is seeing harder and more accurate shots in the game than he's seeing in the warm up. NOT GOOD!

Second, if your father is shoving notes in your face after every game, you learn ATTENTION TO DETAIL whether you want to or not.
One can imagine that SS might do the same thing with his players. ATD is the key to success in most disciplines IMO.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

"but this reasoning is absolute crazy town. "

that should be the permanent name of all Hopkins lacrosse related threads.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

This email from Dave P.
-------------------------

Dear Alumni and friends,

Good afternoon. My sincere hope is that this email finds you, your family and those closest to you safe and healthy.

Given the current landscape, I thought it pertinent tp reach out to you and provide you with an update from Hopkins lacrosse.

These are unprecedented times we find ourselves in. With the situation around us being so fluid, what appears to be a good solution to any number of the challenges our country, community, program and university faces, may be great one day and off the table the next. Clearly, there is a much larger concern than that of sports and in particular, lacrosse. Please note, our staff and university are keenly aware of this and have been certain to make sure our players recognize it as well. That said, what we as adults understand, may not resonate as clearly with a 17-23 year old that just lost their season and who's lives were comfortable have now been turned upside down

Let me first provide you with a better understanding of where things are at Johns Hopkins, within our program and nationally. Recently, Johns Hopkins suspended classes due to the outbreak and seriousness of the Corona Virus.Classes will resume remotely (online) this coming Monday. Initially, student athletes were permitted to remain on campus and continue to practice and compete. Last Thursday, after our win over Mount St. Mary's on Tuesday and prior to our contest with Navy on Saturday, we informed the team that Hopkins had made the decision to suspend all athletic activity until they were able to examine and re-evaluate the situation. A date of April 12th was set to determine whether classes would resume and students return to campus. For obvious reason this date is subject to change. Not Long thereafter, and after additional information was available, Hopkins suspended Spring sports until the same date of April 12th. Soon to follow, the BIG decided to suspend all spring contests and following suit, the NCAA came out with the statement that they would not be sponsoring any spring championships. Simply put, ALL Spring seasons were over.

While we completely understand there is a much larger picture and the health and safety of our young people and communities are the priority, it still remains very disappointing for a young man/.woman (as well as all winter and spring athletes) to have their season shut down. These certainly are new challenges we face as universities, communities and as a nation. We will continue to be supportive of the decision that Johns Hopkins makes and follow the directive of those addressing these larger issues.

When and if the students are able to return to campus, and based off of national recommendations and the decisions of the university, we will then react accordingly. In the meantime, we continue to discuss potential future plans, but more importantly, our goal is to stay connected to our young men. We want to make certain that when online classes begin, our men are focused, prepared and able to attack those online sessions with the focus and preparedness they will need to achieve success. The greatest connector they have is each other and our staff. It will remain our priority to stay in close contact with them.

Athletically, we have encouraged our players to safely and to the best of their abilities, stay sharp physically. As things unfold we will guide them as to what they should or should not be doing. We have discussed and will continue to address the many scenarios that could come about and are working with our medical staff, team nutritionist and strength and conditioning coach to best position ourselves once we have more answers.

While the season for everyone was cut short, and not every outcome perfect, we have enjoyed this group. We were blessed to work with them. They have grown in different ways each week. With injuries to important players, inexperience at the defensive end, they made no excuses. They worked hard for us daily and made every attempt to move forward and improve each day. Our team leadership was dedicated and put their peers first. This group worked diligently to be peer led off and on the field and to understand how to handle adversity. They had good chemistry, cared for each other and were aware we need to continue to develop and work to improve as the season unfolded. I am disappointed for them that it their efforts and time was cut short.

While the NCAA has reached some decisions about eligibility and has decided to grant all spring athletes a reprieve , none of us has any idea what that looks like or how the NCAA plans to approach it. There are so many moving parts and challenges. The implications of this decision, from academics and finances to recruiting, team dynamics and rosters are immeasurable at this point. There will be many important discussions to have on an NCAA, Institutional , team and individual level. And again, until all questions are asked and answers, all we can do at this time, is take carte of our young men, consider the potential opportunities and challenges and discuss how we might approach them from a university and programatic standpoint.

As always, Thank you! Your support matters. Our players are keenly aware of it and appreciate those that continue to support Blue Jays Lacrosse. We remain VERY excited about the incoming freshman class and look forward to getting back on Homewood Field when the time is appropriate. In the meantime ,we will work diligently in areas that will help our players and staff develop individually and find new and more creative ways to teach and develop our culture on and off the field in an effort to meet our standard and achieve our goals. Until then, please stay safe and healthy.

Dave Pietramala
Head Coach
Men's Lacrosse
Johns Hopkins University
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Doesn't sounds like someone who thinks he's about to be sent packing
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:04 pm Doesn't sounds like someone who thinks he's about to be sent packing
Doesn’t also sound like all seniors are going to be welcomed back.

As for the replacement staff, Nads Crawley and Durkin. There we are done.
Homer

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:04 pm Doesn't sounds like someone who thinks he's about to be sent packing
Sounds like someone who is -- among other things -- trying proactively to frame a narrative.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:11 pm
How are you concluding that from this email? What he said basically boils down to: "There are a million questions, not many answers, lots of factors to consider when the time does come to make those decisions and no one really knows how any of this is going to play out." I didn't detect anything in there about players being welcomed back or not.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:48 pm
flalax22 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:11 pm
How are you concluding that from this email? What he said basically boils down to: "There are a million questions, not many answers, lots of factors to consider when the time does come to make those decisions and no one really knows how any of this is going to play out." I didn't detect anything in there about players being welcomed back or not.
All I meant was there are way too moving parts to assume they will be back and I don’t believe the NCAA will answer those unanswered questions Petro mentioned. I believe they will be eligible as per the NCAA announcement but funding/scholarships will be left up to the institution and family. That’s a real stretch
shoothi

Post by shoothi »

Good for Dave to send that out to the Hopkins Family.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:21 pm 1) he was a GREAT player, it wouldn't be a massive logical leap to think he might be a good coach, though we know one does not always necessarily translate to the other
4) his last name could carry some weight with recruits
5) he's younger and could, in theory, relate to today's players better than an old guy would
Cornell's two assistants are both recent highly-regarded former players, Connor Buczek and Jordan Stevens, both in their first coaching jobs. I was initially VERY skeptical that this was a good idea, but it's worked out well so far.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”