Pro N Cons Another Season Senior Eligibilty

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Lax3

Re: Pro N Cons Another Season Senior Eligibilty

Post by Lax3 »

QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

laxdad420 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:18 pm As a parent of two D1 players, including a senior, I am breaking my pledge never to post while they are playing.
Technically, they're not playing. So I think you're good...
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

QuakerSouth wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:30 pm [quote=laxdad420 post_id=122853 time=<a href="tel:1584123497">1584123497</a> user_id=2614]
As a parent of two D1 players, including a senior, I am breaking my pledge never to post while they are playing.
Technically, they're not playing. So I think you're good...
[/quote]

Ivy and Patriot League would also have agree to this for their players
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Ivy makes redshirt exceptions for real injuries/medical, so there is every reason to believe they will be on the side of the student-athlete in this very unusual circumstance.

Problem I see is Spring is a whole year more of school. With Fall sport like football, its not that big of an issue; and extra semester. its much easier to justify an extra semester as opposed to an extra year.

Then of course, you have schools on quarters like Dartmouth, Penn State (I think). Surely a few more.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Wow. Will be great for Forum traffic but this is going to be very bumpy for several years. I feel for the kids that were the "next man up" only to see that spot kept/taken by X, Y or Z.

Imagine the wrangling in late, grad school admissions at Duke/UVA/UNC just over Ierlan, Sowers & Teat (if they are interested & an Ivy grad isn't an option). I'd presume Ament & O'Keefe would stay at PSU if they opted for a 5th.

This is essentially free agency.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

So my opinions aside, son just said he was given a fifth year of eligibility. Then left to go shoot.

On an unrelated note, co-worker being tested for COVD-19. Here we go.
fatherof2

Post by fatherof2 »

I know this is a very general statement (but also a compliment!)
I would think that the Majority of Ivy and Patriot seniors would already have jobs lined up.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Allow all players an additional year eligibility and extend the 2020 season into 2021, all teams picking up where they left off on their schedule with their 2020 records and poll standings carried over. Start practicing later but schedule the same amount of scrimmages as with a normal season. First games played all teams 3/14-15/21 based on their 2020 schedules.

It's only fair to all concerned.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

I think this is great news and a nice gesture by the NCAA.

But it has some new challenges:

I think the NCAA should raise the scholarship limit from 12.6 by 3.15 (12.6/4) to 15.75 for the next four years so they can help give scholarships to the students.

Going a 5th year without any aid does not make sense for most people.

This will have an impact on roster sizes, playing time, and recruiting. If every freshmen is a red shirt, it is tough for the next 2-3 recruiting classes.

How will the transfer portal be handled.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

tech37 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:25 pm Allow all players an additional year eligibility and extend the 2020 season into 2021, all teams picking up where they left off on their schedule with their 2020 records and poll standings carried over. Start practicing later but schedule the same amount of scrimmages as with a normal season. First games played all teams 3/14-15/21 based on their 2020 schedules.

That's a very interesting idea...but they won't be exactly the same teams. Some/many seniors will move on. And there will be a new "Freshman" class. So its not exactly like picking up where we left off. And the Freshman in a sense, get a "shortened" season.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

QuakerSouth wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:35 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:25 pm Allow all players an additional year eligibility and extend the 2020 season into 2021, all teams picking up where they left off on their schedule with their 2020 records and poll standings carried over. Start practicing later but schedule the same amount of scrimmages as with a normal season. First games played all teams 3/14-15/21 based on their 2020 schedules.

That's a very interesting idea...but they won't be exactly the same teams. Some/many seniors will move on. And there will be a new "Freshman" class. So its not exactly like picking up where we left off. And the Freshman in a sense, get a "shortened" season.
Correct, I thought about new recruits after posting (some smart person on here could figure it out though). Yes, seniors would have the option to return or leave to enter work force.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Regarding the players who are still in high school, the extra year of eligibility will most significantly impact recruits in the HS classes of 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. Each class will likely suffer a lesser degree of impact than the preceding class. At the end of the 2024 season, two entire classes will simultaneously exhaust their eligibility. I'd imagine the ensuing vacuum will be filled by larger-than-normal (i) recruiting classes and (ii) transfer activity. As I noted above, I think this will create even more parity in the game. The Hopkins threads will be glorious ...
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Pros:
- Another year of eligibility to play if you want
- Play another year if you're good enough and someone wants to
- Defer the real world another year

Cons:
- Definitely not a guarantee of a 5th year - some coach has got to really want you to take a roster and/or scholarship spot away from a recruit or undergrad
- Need to get into a Grad School somewhere and its probably a little late for that at most places unless a coach really wants you and can jam you into a program that is built for this type of stuff
- Defer making $$$ for another year and end up spending $$$ instead
- FOMO as most of your best buddies are moving on in life and having fun as young professionals
- the Coronavirus is going to decimate schools financial positions so no one is going to put up money for more scholarships and roster spots in a non-revenue sport
- there is no guarantee they'll be even be playing lacrosse next spring
- defer the real world another year
Last edited by thetruth on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

smoova wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm Regarding the players who are still in high school, the extra year of eligibility will most significantly impact recruits in the HS classes of 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. Each class will likely suffer a lesser degree of impact than the preceding class. At the end of the 2024 season, two entire classes will simultaneously exhaust their eligibility. I'd imagine the ensuing vacuum will be filled by larger-than-normal (i) recruiting classes and (ii) transfer activity. As I noted above, I think this will create even more parity in the game. The Hopkins threads will be glorious ...
How did it work at Duke?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

How many Sr will actually return? No doubt a fair amount already have jobs, grad school or some other plans lined up.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:54 pm
smoova wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm Regarding the players who are still in high school, the extra year of eligibility will most significantly impact recruits in the HS classes of 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. Each class will likely suffer a lesser degree of impact than the preceding class. At the end of the 2024 season, two entire classes will simultaneously exhaust their eligibility. I'd imagine the ensuing vacuum will be filled by larger-than-normal (i) recruiting classes and (ii) transfer activity. As I noted above, I think this will create even more parity in the game. The Hopkins threads will be glorious ...
How did it work at Duke?
Everyone on the roster at the time that the season was cancelled got an extra year of eligibility.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:10 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:54 pm
How did it work at Duke?
Everyone on the roster at the time that the season was cancelled got an extra year of eligibility.
I understand. The question is, how did that effect in-coming freshman...I forget.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Ah, sorry. Misunderstood the question.

If you mean: what did that do to recruiting and the size of the freshman class? If I recall, nothing. There were quite a few kids who transferred out, so the was "room" for the next class of recruiting. But it was a long time ago. Perhaps a Duke fan would know for certain.

Sorry, not much help....
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I could see a lot of movement with the current crop of freshmen. Either guys at top programs who don't see a path to playing time after fall ball plus half of a season (with another crop of studs coming in next fall and becoming classmates), or those who have been tearing it up for mid-level programs since stepping on campus. With four years of eligibility left, and suddenly a lot of extra time this spring, searching for a better fit makes a lot of sense.
Freedom1234

Post by Freedom1234 »

I do think an extra year should be granted, but we must consider all players too. My brother's son is a Junior. Next year would have most likely been the only year he would start. He gets a little time here and there. He also does not get a scholarship but has been told his senior year would be a substantial one. He was supposed to get one this past year but there were some red shirts and he was told it would come his senior year. This being said, he also can not afford another year of tuition and is already deeply in debt. I see all the celebrating for these seniors of which I am happy for them, but this also affects younger players and their dreams too.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”