When the ACC meets the Big 10

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Re: When the ACC meets the Big 10

Post by wlaxnut »

ILLaxParent wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:17 am Also I suspect ASU and Coach McCormack will have the hammer dropped on them tomorrow. NU usually takes their losses out on their next opponent. I will be there but probably leave early if we are in running clock early.
Poor ASU. I wonder if another 30 might be dropped. The 2nd and 3rd stringers will enjoy some gametime.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Two Clash of the Titans matchups Saturday. Syracuse may have taken a backseat to Notre Dame at this point but they are still a worthy representative from the ACC to go against a Big 10 giant. Northwestern has a lot on the line for this one. Two losses in a row to the power of the ACC won’t look very good come May long term. And in the short term it will significantly drop them in the polls in my estimation. It will make them look like they can beat up on the weak sisters but can’t take on the best and win, especially since both of them will have been at home. Syracuse is also looking to rebound after their loss to Stony Brook. This is a prime time Saturday night match up with an 8 PM start time streaming on BTN plus.

The other game is a Saturday afternoon 1pm matinee (streaming on ACC Network) pitting Maryland at North Carolina. Maryland obviously looking to get back on track after losing at home to Florida. They risk losing two in a row for the first time in the Cathy Reese era. Remarkable to consider. This will be the first real test for North Carolina this year. Even though it’s still early in the season, this game will be talked about in May when the committee looks to seed. Both of these games are very compelling. A good second chapter in the ACC versus the Big Ten 2020 edition.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:34 pm Two Clash of the Titans matchups Saturday. Syracuse may have taken a backseat to Notre Dame at this point but they are still a worthy representative from the ACC to go against a Big 10 giant. Northwestern has a lot on the line for this one. Two losses in a row to the power of the ACC won’t look very good come May long term. And in the short term it will significantly drop them in the polls in my estimation. It will make them look like they can beat up on the weak sisters but can’t take on the best and win, especially since both of them will have been at home. Syracuse is also looking to rebound after their loss to Stony Brook. This is a prime time Saturday night match up with an 8 PM start time streaming on BTN plus.

The other game is a Saturday afternoon 1pm matinee (streaming on ACC Network) pitting Maryland at North Carolina. Maryland obviously looking to get back on track after losing at home to Florida. They risk losing two in a row for the first time in the Cathy Reese era. Remarkable to consider. This will be the first real test for North Carolina this year. Even though it’s still early in the season, this game will be talked about in May when the committee looks to seed. Both of these games are very compelling. A good second chapter in the ACC versus the Big Ten 2020 edition.
I think UNC will win against Maryland, but it won't be a blowout, though arguably Maryland has more to lose in this game due to the Florida defeat.

I listed a whole bunch of stuff in the Feb. top 25ish games thread (in retrospect, probably should have put that here) regarding the SU-NU matchup. Both sides already have a loss. Northwestern has a matchup with North Carolina in a couple of weeks, Syracuse faces Maryland next weekend. Neither one can afford another loss with those other games coming up. Syracuse especially so since a loss to both Northwestern and Maryland next Friday will leave the Orange with no meaningful wins in February (they play Colgate on Monday, but should win that). Going 4-3 into March where they have only four games (Virginia Tech, Virginia, Louisville and Notre Dame...all on the road) really puts them in a hole. Louisville should be a win, but VT and the Cavs are still questionable given the Stony Brook contest. And Notre Dame, well...
wlaxnut

Louisville at Michigan

Post by wlaxnut »

This is by no means a marquee matchup, but it is ACC vs Big 10. I find it compelling because I like both teams. If Louisville pulls the upset, it will certainly make some waves, look good for their PRI, and give them more confidence. For Michigan? It may signal the end of them being a ranked team in the very near future.
LaxGuy17

Re: Louisville at Michigan

Post by LaxGuy17 »

wlaxnut wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:46 am This is by no means a marquee matchup, but it is ACC vs Big 10. I find it compelling because I like both teams. If Louisville pulls the upset, it will certainly make some waves, look good for their PRI, and give them more confidence. For Michigan? It may signal the end of them being a ranked team in the very near future.
This could actually happen. UM I don’t think is as good as everybody thought. Louisville has a couple players. I agree this might be an upset special.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Louisville looks like it is still on the bus.

Painful. Announcers -- shocker alert -- don't really understand the game.

Louisville apparently stopped for coffee, and got a little zip.
Last edited by seacoaster on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

The live stats feature has the Louisville roster totally screwed up. The names and numbers are all wrong. Don't know if any of the stats are correct.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Badlands wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:38 pm The live stats feature has the Louisville roster totally screwed up. The names and numbers are all wrong. Don't know if any of the stats are correct.
Too bad you can’t join us on BTN plus, Badlands. The camera work is not bad. Louisville starting to get a little momentum going. They score their second of the game with a nice run to cage. Michigan 6–2
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Louisville with another nice bold rush to cage. Michigan 6-3
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:43 pm
Badlands wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:38 pm The live stats feature has the Louisville roster totally screwed up. The names and numbers are all wrong. Don't know if any of the stats are correct.
Too bad you can’t join us on BTN plus, Badlands. The camera work is not bad. Louisville starting to get a little momentum going. They score their second of the game with a nice run to cage. Michigan 6–2
Michigan 6-4. Error filled game.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Louisville not connecting on some of their passes into the eight, but they are trying. Good sign. Once they connected to big number 66 (Scanlan) and she put it home pretty easily for their first goal. If they could connect with her a few more times this could really be a game.

And Scanlon rifles home a free position low inside the left post and Louisville pulls to within 2. Michigan 6–4
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Weather at the moment is 34° with 16 mile an hour wind.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Louisville acquitting themselves quite well here. I’m glad they’ve come to play.

Again, pretty decent camera work. Whoever it is gets how to frame the shot in the offensive zone. Nice job.
Last edited by wlaxnut on Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Louisville hanging in, trailing 6-7 at the half. Have to be pretty disappointed if you are a Michigan fan. Up 6-1 at one point.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

If Louisville can clean up their mistakes, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that they could win this game.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:04 pm If Louisville can clean up their mistakes, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that they could win this game.
Agreed; this is either team's game, really, if one of them can clean up the blown clears, poor passes and forced play. I don't understand why Michigan is not running the ball more through Muir, No. 1. She should be carrying from below GLE and spotting cutters in the power alleys.

The clearing errors by both teams are, at this point in the season, kind of unforgivable. It is not like there's a vigorous redefend going on here.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Rachel Florek has been making some important saves in goal for the Cardinals.

Scanlan is going to be very difficult to contain with her size and shooting ability.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:11 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:04 pm If Louisville can clean up their mistakes, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that they could win this game.
Agreed; this is either team's game, really, if one of them can clean up the blown clears, poor passes and forced play. I don't understand why Michigan is not running the ball more through Muir, No. 1. She should be carrying from below GLE and spotting cutters in the power alleys.

The clearing errors by both teams are, at this point in the season, kind of unforgivable. It is not like there's a vigorous redefend going on here.
I’m surprised they’re not utilizing Muir’s skills more either. She’s very talented at hitting cutters, as you say, and dodging once she establishes her passing ability.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

The Cardinals look like they have a plan on offense much more so than Michigan. All tied at 7.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Nice to see Louisville hanging in there and answering. Michigan 9-8

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”