Annoying Sports Cliches

General Chatter
wlaxnut

Re: Annoying Sports Cliches

Post by wlaxnut »

In lacrosse:

Scores are 90 percent of the time referred to as hitting "the back of the net", putting it in the "back of the net". Back of the net, back of the net.
It isn't even based in reality due to the shape of the back of the net. It's cone shaped, hence-- THERE IS NO "BACK OF THE NET"!!!
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

After it hits the back of the net, what can you do?
Turn and rake.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Remember back in the 70s when NBA teams had what used to be referred to as their "token white" guy? That's a cliche you don't hear anyone in the league now that there has been an influx of non-college European players.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

“To a man...”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

"Water shows weakness"
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

"Chinese home run" - haven't heard that one since the 1960s
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

just thought of another one no longer used in baseball:

A player flies out deep into the outfield. Some one says, "another egg in your breakfast and he would have had it (a home run)".

Still another though I do not recall the actual cliche words used was regarding whether a player went out drinking the night before - if he ordered a full breakfast, you know he was in his hotel room all night. But if another ordered tomato juice and black coffee, you know he had been out and is now nursing a hangover.

wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:06 pm just thought of another one no longer used in baseball:

A player flies out deep into the outfield. Some one says, "another egg in your breakfast and he would have had it (a home run)".

Still another though I do not recall the actual cliche words used was regarding whether a player went out drinking the night before - if he ordered a full breakfast, you know he was in his hotel room all night. But if another ordered tomato juice and black coffee, you know he had been out and is now nursing a hangover.
These are great, Brooklyn! Thanks so much for sharing these great looks back into what once was.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:07 pm

These are great, Brooklyn! Thanks so much for sharing these great looks back into what once was.

+1

Many, many moons ago I came across an encyclopedia of old baseball terms, axioms, and whatever. Sadly, I failed to buy a volume of it at that time. I tried to find one online but only came up with this: https://tinyurl.com/vvht4m8

You'd be surprised at how many worn out phrases and terms existed in every region of the USA, many of which were funny as heck.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Possibly the dumbest sports cliche of all time: Dick Vitale's "diaper dandies".

Here is Vitale referring to young men ages 18 or 19 who stand 6'7" or more, weigh well over 200 pounds, could kick his butt from here to Kingdom Come, or serve in the military or as police officers, and he refers to them as diaper wearers. Imagine someone reporting women's college basketball and using the same terms - such a commentator would be called a sexist and far worse! How dumb can anyone get? These are grown men, not infants!

wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

In football—

“Running downhill”

Playing on a flat field.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

When a player's contract is terminated or he is traded due to his old age or injury:

"so sad that it all ended that way"

"things happen for a reason"

"oh well, whatever doesn't kill you strengthens you"

wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

“Forever and a day”

Makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Who started this dehumanizing trend of referring to human beings who play sports as "piece" or "pieces"?

ex. They lost a few key pieces on defense. The acquisition of Harry Harold adds a key piece to the offense.

Is it really so frickin difficult to say "player" or "players"??
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

wlaxnut wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:38 pm Who started this dehumanizing trend of referring to human beings who play sports as "piece" or "pieces"?

ex. They lost a few key pieces on defense. The acquisition of Harry Harold adds a key piece to the offense.

Is it really so frickin difficult to say "player" or "players"??

~ "piece" or "pieces" ~

Kudos to you for bringing that up. Reminds me of the times when locals here in Lake Wobegone referred to Kirby Puckett as a "teddy bear". To some he was regarded as a play thing rather than as a human being.

Another thing I always hated was the idiotic notion of referring to certain minority athletes as "role models". Thankfully, we don't hear this nonsense so much anymore and that's likely because more people today are now aware that this was a concept created by the Nazis. Like the killers that they were, the Nazis knew that in order to destroy a people, they must first undermine the family which is the strongest foundation of a society. Destroy that foundation, and everything else in their evil schemes becomes easier to achieve. As I always say, Nazis be d@mned.

wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

“Better to be lucky than good”
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

a game of inches. sometimes that's just the way the ball bounces...
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Any effort percentage above 100.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:15 am Any effort percentage above 100.
That’s one that irritates me too!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I'm kinda undecided about this one but here it goes: riding the pine where a player sits on the bench rather than play all game long.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”