Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

here's today's attempt- la mian- should be a disaster but really- where am i gonna go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeVFaj_jjzk
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pretty gutsy move, Chairman, particularly given that you get no recipe for the dough.
There's an art/feel/touch to what that fellow is doing, am anxious for the report on
just how disasterous the undertaking turned out. Keep us posted.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

ahh yes got that separate- sorry- it's underway!

https://omnivorescookbook.com/recipes/h ... ed-noodles

what are you making?
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Been eating those Swedish meatballs for the last couple of days, mighty tasty every time. Just put the last of them in the freezer along with some spatzle for another day.
Took a couple of pork chops out of the freezer, won't make anything particularly fancy but have got some onions, mushrooms, and white wine....will make a sauce of sorts in the pan (butter and flour, naturally) to go along with the last of the spatzle....probably bake some carrots too. They're mighty tasty baked with a little honey drizzled over them. That's all I've got for today. Got a rack of lamb in the freezer that's coming out soon....lamb is just incredibly tasty, a real treat.
I'll make these potatoes to go along with it. Simple but pretty cool...guy drives me a little nuts but he makes some good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOatJPocjDo
ChairmanOfTheBoard

wow those look good- a few years ago i saw a different recipe for the same thing- i think it was called soldiers or standing soldiers. looks great. nice presentation with the thyme too.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Funny video on how to feed 7 for about $3.35 https://www.facebook.com/iamauntiefee/v ... 402796680/

Tonight was homemade jalapeno poppers and beef, green chile, and black olive enchilada's.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:42 pm Funny video on how to feed 7 for about $3.35 https://www.facebook.com/iamauntiefee/v ... 402796680/

Tonight was homemade jalapeno poppers and beef, green chile, and black olive enchilada's.

Sorry to say but, <PUKE>.

Poor gal was much younger than me and died several years ago, probably from her awful cooking. Too much starch and fat, poor taste, and totally unappetizing. It is a shame that she died at only age 59 but the cholesterol inducing cooking was too much even for her.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:03 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:42 pm Funny video on how to feed 7 for about $3.35 https://www.facebook.com/iamauntiefee/v ... 402796680/

Sorry to say but, <PUKE>.

Poor gal was much younger than me and died several years ago, probably from her awful cooking. Too much starch and fat, poor taste, and totally unappetizing. It is a shame that she died at only age 59 but the cholesterol inducing cooking was too much even for her.
Depends on who is cooking....I do most all the cooking and almost always on the healthy side. With two college athletes back in the home and this pandemic, it is certainly throwing a wrench in our meal prep.

We don’t use oil and corn tortilla. Actually fairly healthy, we keep our carb intake below 40-50 grams/day, use lean meat, usually turkey but that was hard to come by.

1 flour tortilla is ~15 grams of carbs
Cheeses have little to no carbs
Olives, jalepeno, onion and green chilis healthy.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:51 pm

Depends on who is cooking....I do most all the cooking and almost always on the healthy side. With two college athletes back in the home and this pandemic, it is certainly throwing a wrench in our meal prep.

We don’t use oil and corn tortilla. Actually fairly healthy, we keep our carb intake below 40-50 grams/day, use lean meat, usually turkey but that was hard to come by.

1 flour tortilla is ~15 grams of carbs
Cheeses have little to no carbs
Olives, jalepeno, onion and green chilis healthy.

Good. Now add chopped lettuce, put some guacamole and sour cream on the side, and top off with a touch of Italian salad dressing for added flavor and nutrition.

One thing about this pandemic - still can't find Spam anywhere! Argh!! A direct order from Hormel costs more than it does when buying it as Target or Menard's. Oh well, mebbe they will ship some soon.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:01 am here's today's attempt- la mian- should be a disaster but really- where am i gonna go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeVFaj_jjzk
How did your noodles come out?
ChairmanOfTheBoard

great! i was very, very surprised that they stretched. two methods- one is to simply pull them apart, the other is to slap onto a board and expand (see earlier videos i posted). both work, the latter better.

then i read that the chinese use potassium carbonate and that helps them stretch. hard to get, even in NY apparently.

i opted for good old gluten- which means time- i made the dough a few days ago, set it in the fridge. i think that did the trick, really.

served with lanzhou soup (*vegan though). https://i1.wp.com/www.angsarap.net/wp-c ... 1280%2C720

tonight is a south african dish- chakalaka!

DMac

Post by DMac »

Am glad to get the report on the noodles, Chairman, was worried that you had knotted and twisted your fingers up with the task and were unable to type.
That chakalaka looks really good, gonna have to check that out.
Made a breakfast pizza today...bacon, tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, s, p, cajun, and a couple of different cheeses. Came out really good.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

your breakfast pizza is my normal pizza.

chakalaka was not only delicious but easy to make and dirt cheap. the hardest part is grating a carrot. served with rice, which i've been cooking with coconut flakes, and in a pan instead of a pot- borrowed from the spanish- more surface area gets the crust on bottom (socarrat!).

for this week- ill be making my usual tomato sauce (secret family recipe; not recorded on paper) and then an overnight pork shoulder (there goes vegan).
ardilla secreta

I finished off my pork neck and kale. I often buy pork neck for greens. Cooking the pork neck first with bay leaf and a few peppercorns. That yields a flavorsome cooking liquid for the kale, onions and garlic cloves. The meat comes easily off the bones and return to the nearly done kale. Drizzle a little EVOO on the plated dish. The pot liquor is about the best health tonic ever. Can substitute collard, turnip, dandelion greens.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:39 pm I finished off my pork neck and kale. I often buy pork neck for greens. Cooking the pork neck first with bay leaf and a few peppercorns. That yields a flavorsome cooking liquid for the kale, onions and garlic cloves. The meat comes easily off the bones and return to the nearly done kale. Drizzle a little EVOO on the plated dish. The pot liquor is about the best health tonic ever. Can substitute collard, turnip, dandelion greens.
how long a soak to get that pork neck pulling? low & slow???
ardilla secreta

Whenever you use proteins to make a stock you need to start with cold water and bring to a rolling simmer. To make it right you want to l'écume. That’s skimming the scum that develops on the surface. Coagulated proteins that will make the stock look cloudy. Bringing the stock to a full boil will cause that scum to incorporate into the stock.

The meat should be tender in an hour or little more depending on temp. The more tender, the easier it is to pick from the bones. I get my neck from Wegmans. You can also use pork hocks and sometimes I use turkey necks. I always keep a package or to of turkey necks in the freezer. I frequently make chicken stock using a family pack of chix thighs which are dirt cheap. Thighs are really easy to de-bone. I then roast the bones on a parchment paper covered sheet pan for about an hour at 375. Roasting gives the stock a richer color and flavor. Then reserve the thigh meat for stir-frys, currys, salads, etc.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:43 pm Whenever you use proteins to make a stock you need to start with cold water and bring to a rolling simmer. To make it right you want to l'écume. That’s skimming the scum that develops on the surface. Coagulated proteins that will make the stock look cloudy. Bringing the stock to a full boil will cause that scum to incorporate into the stock.

The meat should be tender in an hour or little more depending on temp. The more tender, the easier it is to pick from the bones. I get my neck from Wegmans. You can also use pork hocks and sometimes I use turkey necks. I always keep a package or to of turkey necks in the freezer. I frequently make chicken stock using a family pack of chix thighs which are dirt cheap. Thighs are really easy to de-bone. I then roast the bones on a parchment paper covered sheet pan for about an hour at 375. Roasting gives the stock a richer color and flavor. Then reserve the thigh meat for stir-frys, currys, salads, etc.
just last night i was talking to a friend about this being a great time to make a stock. and so i learned something today- l'ecume!

i had a large pack of chicken thighs on the conveyor belt yesterday for just over $2, and was told i had two chicken items, and had to give it back. terrible but a civic duty.

anyway i had chicken thighs at home already so i made a childhood favorite- mom's pasta & sauce. 5 hours of simmering, with sausage and chicken thighs and a pork shoulder cut up, with onions, mushrooms, and peppers. 2 cups of red wine, served with a crianza, topped with parsley and freshly grated pecorino. (not vegan today)

oh, and i rolled out my own fresh pasta.

i'd like to hear more about your curries- are they coconut based, or ghee based? after a long trip to thailand in 2015, i make curries all the time now. i had to spend a lot to get the right spices, rhizomes, leaves, powders, but it's worth it. i even bought a jasmine liquor in LA a few years back to boil the rice!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

You guys are awesome. I do all the cooking and love it, but you all take it to another level. Kudos, and keep is going.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

some of these will add tremendous flavor to your soups/stocks:

Oh by the way, when I went shopping today I actually found a can of Spam! Yippee!!!

ChairmanOfTheBoard

brooks is that oxtail?

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”