MAAC 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sticksup

Re: MAAC 2020

Post by Sticksup »

Marist will be tough to beat in the MAAC. Upcoming games against Richmond and Army will be very interesting and a win against either would provide a huge confidence boost.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Sticksup wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:20 am Marist will be tough to beat in the MAAC. Upcoming games against Richmond and Army will be very interesting and a win against either would provide a huge confidence boost.
I don't how much there is to be gleaned from a 12-4 win in February over a Binghamton team coming off a 2-11 season and losing their top 2 scorers, but there were some encouraging signs for Marist. FOGO was outstanding. 6 v 6 offense and goaltender were solid. EMO and close d looked much improved over any game in the 2019 season. SSDM remains a big concern. To be competitive with Richmond and Army, they will need to clean up the clearing game and get something out of rides. Against teams of a similar ilk in 2019, Marist only successfully cleared 19/28 times vs. Army, 11/23 vs. North Carolina, and 14/24 vs. Virginia.

Elsewhere, Quinnipiac lost in a tough matchup vs. Rutgers and then to Umass-Lowell in a game you'd like to see them win. QU has many of the same concerns as Marist in 2020, but additionally lost a ton of production on offense. QU lost to Lowell despite winning 19-22 draws. QU has been very sloppy with turnovers on clears and settled offense, and they also struggle at SSDM. Freshman DeLucia at Attack has had a nice start to the season.

Detroit Mercy had a very ambitious schedule to start the season, with games at Jacksonville and Ohio State. They started with a nice narrow win at Jax followed by a quick turnaround to play at OSU. It was a competitive 1st quarter before the Buckeyes blew the game wide open. UDM had 5 players on the preseason All MAAC team and Freshman attacker Waters has been impressive en route to leading the team in goals. Not many of their goals have been assisted, this a team I would strongly consider playing zone against in MAAC play.

Siena had a nice crowd of 723 on hand for their 14-12 win in LIU's 1st D1 game after being a longtime D2 power. The Saints had a comfortable 13-6 3rd quarter lead before LIU reeled off 6 straight goals. Monmouth had a narrow 11-8 win over NJIT after losing to NJIT by 3 last season. Offense still might be hard to come by for the Hawks. I expect both of these teams to be improved in 2020.

Canisius had a pretty disappointing start to 2020, getting down 20-2 at Hobart before falling 22-8. On the bright side, Buck picked up where he left off with 6 goals. And 6'6 Freshmen goalie Bergmann played a nice 2nd half in relief. It will be interesting to see what Miyashita does in goal going forward. Buck, Stefaniak, and Boissonneault will be a handful for every MAAC defense, but the rest looks like a work in progress.

Manhattan acquitted themselves nicely in a 9-4 loss at Navy on a cold Friday night in their first game without Giarratana. Manhattan put as many shots on net as Navy did. Manhattan plays hard and disciplined, and should not be overlooked. They are capable of pulling upsets as Bryant and Canisius found out last year. St. Bonaventure is the last to kickoff 2020 playing St. Joe's on Sunday.
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

redfoxalum wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:28 pm
Sticksup wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:20 am Marist will be tough to beat in the MAAC. Upcoming games against Richmond and Army will be very interesting and a win against either would provide a huge confidence boost.
I don't how much there is to be gleaned from a 12-4 win in February over a Binghamton team coming off a 2-11 season and losing their top 2 scorers, but there were some encouraging signs for Marist. FOGO was outstanding. 6 v 6 offense and goaltender were solid. EMO and close d looked much improved over any game in the 2019 season. SSDM remains a big concern. To be competitive with Richmond and Army, they will need to clean up the clearing game and get something out of rides. Against teams of a similar ilk in 2019, Marist only successfully cleared 19/28 times vs. Army, 11/23 vs. North Carolina, and 14/24 vs. Virginia.

Elsewhere, Quinnipiac lost in a tough matchup vs. Rutgers and then to Umass-Lowell in a game you'd like to see them win. QU has many of the same concerns as Marist in 2020, but additionally lost a ton of production on offense. QU lost to Lowell despite winning 19-22 draws. QU has been very sloppy with turnovers on clears and settled offense, and they also struggle at SSDM. Freshman DeLucia at Attack has had a nice start to the season.

Detroit Mercy had a very ambitious schedule to start the season, with games at Jacksonville and Ohio State. They started with a nice narrow win at Jax followed by a quick turnaround to play at OSU. It was a competitive 1st quarter before the Buckeyes blew the game wide open. UDM had 5 players on the preseason All MAAC team and Freshman attacker Waters has been impressive en route to leading the team in goals. Not many of their goals have been assisted, this a team I would strongly consider playing zone against in MAAC play.

Siena had a nice crowd of 723 on hand for their 14-12 win in LIU's 1st D1 game after being a longtime D2 power. The Saints had a comfortable 13-6 3rd quarter lead before LIU reeled off 6 straight goals. Monmouth had a narrow 11-8 win over NJIT after losing to NJIT by 3 last season. Offense still might be hard to come by for the Hawks. I expect both of these teams to be improved in 2020.

Canisius had a pretty disappointing start to 2020, getting down 20-2 at Hobart before falling 22-8. On the bright side, Buck picked up where he left off with 6 goals. And 6'6 Freshmen goalie Bergmann played a nice 2nd half in relief. It will be interesting to see what Miyashita does in goal going forward. Buck, Stefaniak, and Boissonneault will be a handful for every MAAC defense, but the rest looks like a work in progress.

Manhattan acquitted themselves nicely in a 9-4 loss at Navy on a cold Friday night in their first game without Giarratana. Manhattan put as many shots on net as Navy did. Manhattan plays hard and disciplined, and should not be overlooked. They are capable of pulling upsets as Bryant and Canisius found out last year. St. Bonaventure is the last to kickoff 2020 playing St. Joe's on Sunday.
Great recap per usual.

On the Canisius take, this was the worst I've seen this team look in a season opener in many,many years of following the Griffs. Buck is his normal self and was the only dangerous A or M in the first half against 'Barts 1's. Boissonneault and Stefaniak we're not good the entire game, nothing worked for them and while the most pressing issue appears to be in cage, I don't think the 6'6" freshman is the answer. He is raw and if there is any hope of making the MAAC tournament he struggles with footwork and clears. I firmly believe he will be an all-MAAC type GK by the time he is done but I don't think he is the answer long term this year. We will definitely see what Miyashita has in mind and if he turns to the other SR or JR GK on roster this week as there are no easy runs anywhere on the schedule w/Bobby Mo, Michigan and Air Force all in the next 4 weeks.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

" Monmouth had a narrow 11-8 win over NJIT after losing to NJIT by 3 last season. Offense still might be hard to come by for the Hawks. I expect both of these teams to be improved in 2020."

I was at Monmouth and wouldn't call it a narrow win, they were up 9-3 and 11-5 with six minutes to go. They gave up three late with a few of them man down, lost focus and discipline late. Lots of positives, goaltending was great, and the offense looks much improved. Last year they only scored in double digits twice, on Saturday they got quality shots and converted, also hitting several pipes. Princeton will be a tough test but the Hawks are playing with confidence and appear to be on the upswing.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

They will be tested for sure. There’s a big difference between NJIT and Princeton.
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

McGriff wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:21 pm
redfoxalum wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:28 pm

Great recap per usual.

On the Canisius take, this was the worst I've seen this team look in a season opener in many,many years of following the Griffs. Buck is his normal self and was the only dangerous A or M in the first half against 'Barts 1's. Boissonneault and Stefaniak we're not good the entire game, nothing worked for them and while the most pressing issue appears to be in cage, I don't think the 6'6" freshman is the answer. He is raw and if there is any hope of making the MAAC tournament he struggles with footwork and clears. I firmly believe he will be an all-MAAC type GK by the time he is done but I don't think he is the answer long term this year. We will definitely see what Miyashita has in mind and if he turns to the other SR or JR GK on roster this week as there are no easy runs anywhere on the schedule w/Bobby Mo, Michigan and Air Force all in the next 4 weeks.
I had hopes today that my Griffs would look better today, maybe not get the W,but at least look better and boy was I disappointed.

9-2 at half while generating minimal shots on cage, only getting 18 total on net the entire game. The coaching staff started the freshman GK and he got shelled early and often and struggled to clear consistently and was relieved in the 4th by last weeks starter and he promptly gave up 3 on 3 shots, probably didn't matter at that point anyway.

I am not sure what the answer is and why a talented offense is struggling so much, but turning the ball over 22+ times and only going 11 of 35 on faceoffs and a sub 50% svs is not the right recipe to expect any other results.

Coach Miyashita better figure it out and quick. Michigan Tuesday then Hartford next Saturday. Could be a looooong year. Not what I expected.
Qckstk

Post by Qckstk »

Canisius is about the only team in the conference that has surprised me so far. I think Robbie Mo & Hobart are pretty good this year, but I wouldn’t have expected such blowouts of the Griffs. Their losses on D are very apparent. I did expect the league to be a bit down this year and I haven’t changed my mind after the first few games. I watched Siena today and they looked pretty good - for a quarter, but got embarrassed for the next three. Curious to see how Detroit bounces back. They had a nice start against OSU, but then had a total meltdown. We’ll see if they can return to the form displayed in their opener against J’ville. Marist does appear to be the class of the MAAC. I base this not so much on their opener - a solid showing, but Bingo looks very young this year. In their 13-11 loss to Richmond, however, they played a very good veteran team. Game could have gone either way, but Marist made a couple of mistakes in the middle of the field that Richmond took advantage of and they also failed to cash in on a couple of good opportunities. The thing I noticed in this game was the grit of Marist. They fought tooth and nail to the final whistle, and they will need to do so again on Tuesday to be competitive against Army who has just steamrolled everyone they have played. I see both Q’Pac and Monmouth as middle of the conference teams, fighting for a tourney spot. Very early, but haven’t seen anything to change my pre season outlook, with the possible exception of Canisius.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Great win for Marist on Tuesday, 17-9 over #7/9 Army. Peyton Smith, Marist's fogo who should be an AA candidate, went 17-28 with 10 gb's. McGregor in net saved >60% of shots, and imo one of the best attack trios in the country combined for 15 points and only 1 turnover. Marist scored as many goals in the first half as Army had conceded in their previous 3 games combined, including games against 2 ranked teams. These standout performances were more than enough to overcome being outshot by Army, causing less turnovers, committing more turnovers, losing the gb battle, and clearing at a 15% worse rate than Army. Marist's poise deserted them in the 4th quarter, committing 10 turnovers including a few offsides violations. Clearing has been a problem. I'd like to see clearing middies inserted for some of the defensive personnel, and a simple draw and dump scheme like a 4 man low clear. Marist's best middie, Lyons, left the game with an injury in the first half and did not return.

Also on Tuesday, Detroit Mercy returned to action after a bit of a layoff and beat Bellarmine 20-13. Don't know anything about Bellarmine but 20 goals is more than Bellarmine conceded to Utah or Marquette. Marist and UDM have been the 2 most impressive MAAC teams to date imo. Canisius was doubled up by Michigan 16-8 as their tough start continues. Miyashita's postgame comments were critical of their clearing game. On the bright side, FR middie Conry is an emerging threat. The Griffs started their freshman in cage again and Miyashita was happy with his save percentage while acknowledging other areas need work, as has been alluded to here.

Conference wide, a lot of freshmen on offense have been impressive. The leading goal scorers for Detroit Mercy, Manhattan, Quinnipiac, Siena, and St. Bonaventure are currently all freshmen.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

redfoxalum wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:37 pm Great win for Marist on Tuesday, 17-9 over #7/9 Army. Peyton Smith, Marist's fogo who should be an AA candidate, went 17-28 with 10 gb's. McGregor in net saved >60% of shots, and imo one of the best attack trios in the country combined for 15 points and only 1 turnover. Marist scored as many goals in the first half as Army had conceded in their previous 3 games combined, including games against 2 ranked teams. These standout performances were more than enough to overcome being outshot by Army, causing less turnovers, committing more turnovers, losing the gb battle, and clearing at a 15% worse rate than Army. Marist's poise deserted them in the 4th quarter, committing 10 turnovers including a few offsides violations. Clearing has been a problem. I'd like to see clearing middies inserted for some of the defensive personnel, and a simple draw and dump scheme like a 4 man low clear. Marist's best middie, Lyons, left the game with an injury in the first half and did not return.

Also on Tuesday, Detroit Mercy returned to action after a bit of a layoff and beat Bellarmine 20-13. Don't know anything about Bellarmine but 20 goals is more than Bellarmine conceded to Utah or Marquette. Marist and UDM have been the 2 most impressive MAAC teams to date imo. Canisius was doubled up by Michigan 16-8 as their tough start continues. Miyashita's postgame comments were critical of their clearing game. On the bright side, FR middie Conry is an emerging threat. The Griffs started their freshman in cage again and Miyashita was happy with his save percentage while acknowledging other areas need work, as has been alluded to here.

Conference wide, a lot of freshmen on offense have been impressive. The leading goal scorers for Detroit Mercy, Manhattan, Quinnipiac, Siena, and St. Bonaventure are currently all freshmen.
Saw good parts of both Richmond and Army games and the Foxes looked like a pretty complete team in both games albeit with some early season ugliness in both which is happening all over. Is it just me or was Marist sliding early and often way more than I remember ever seeing ? Yesterday Army seemed totally surprised and really unable to handle it. I know it's very early especially for the way things work in the MAAC but Marist looks to be on one level, UDM on the next, with Quinnipiac-Siena-Manhattan-Monmouth-Canisius pretty much in a free for all for the scraps. Think Q and Monmouth have the best chances from that group to challenge for the top so in a lot of ways not much has changed in the conference but obviously an early and possibly premature observation
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

A good win, and more proof that the talent is just not at certain institutions and that more parity exists than ever.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

First of all: THE BEST CAMERA WORK AND ANGLE I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME, MAYBE EVER, FOR A LACROSSE GAME.

Watching this game was like being in the stands, and I so enjoyed the lack of commentators while still getting the sound from the field and the stands. How can "RedfoxTV" put on such a excellent broadcast, but every home Terp game is unwatchable without a telescope?

Tremendous performance by Marist last night. They played as complete of a game as you will see. Foxes absolutely feasted on top of the crease in the first half with plenty of feeds finding shooters in good position. Army looked huge in the opening minutes, but the Red Fox speed shrank them down to size pretty quickly. I was impressed by every every Marist player that took the field. I hope Lyons' injury is not too serious. He was fun to watch.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:23 am First of all: THE BEST CAMERA WORK AND ANGLE I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME, MAYBE EVER, FOR A LACROSSE GAME.

Watching this game was like being in the stands, and I so enjoyed the lack of commentators while still getting the sound from the field and the stands. How can "RedfoxTV" put on such a excellent broadcast, but every home Terp game is unwatchable without a telescope?
This is likely largely due to the location of the press box. The height of a press box at a 5k seat stadium with no track provides a nice camera angle for lacrosse. IL recently named Tenney Stadium one of the best places to watch college lacrosse in the "for the fans" category.

https://goredfoxes.com/news/2020/2/11/m ... rosse.aspx

The sports communication students also work very hard on production

https://www.marist.edu/-/espn-teaching-control-room
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Pretty disappointing weekend across the conference. Only a couple more weeks until conference play gets underway.

Hartford 10 Canisius 4.

Denver 16 St. Bonaventure 3. Air Force 11 St. Bonaventure 5.

Marquette 18 Detroit Mercy 6.

Delaware 11 Monmouth 2. Delaware's starting goalkeeper stopped >90% of Monmouth's shots.

Umass Lowell 16 Siena 15. So far, 2020 has been a continuation of 2019. The Saints can score and score efficiently, but struggle stopping anyone.

Manhattan 16 Wagner 5. Really impressive game from SR Midfielder Hanson, had 9 assists which tied a MAAC record set by Marist's Chris Pistello in 1997 vs. Niagara. He'll draw a lot of attention from defenses going forward. Hopefully Niagara brings back their program eventually, the Purple Eagles still have a women's team.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

You can throw in Q's no show at UVM too, on the plus side it looked like Army was going to get it done for a long time at Cuse, interesting to see how Marist handles success against Hartford. Sometimes that can be more telling than a bounce back after a loss
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Very impressed with Marist so far. The Redfoxes are a step above the rest of the MAAC. It should be a fun year for the program if they keep playing at this level and improve week to week.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Guess Marist handled success just fine, playing with a lot of energy on both sides of the ball with a good face off man and a good goalie. Going to be awfully tough to beat in the MAAC
Sticksup

Post by Sticksup »

This looks like one of the most balanced teams Marist has had and one of the best if not the best scoring units to date. Two good tests coming up before conference play starts with Bucknell and Delaware.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Marist was solid across the board in a 14-6 win over Hartford on a rainy Tuesday night. The dramatic year over year improvement from EMO and close d continues. EMO 4/5 after being one of the worst units in D1 in 2019. The entirely new close d combined for 6 CT's, 4 GB's, 0 TO's and played on and off ball d well. Bucknell featuring 2 attackmen averaging 4.0 points per game will be a big test. Only negative was Lyons dnp after being injured in 1st half of Army game, he had been drawing the pole on the 1st midfield in the first 2+ games.

Also on Tuesday, Monmouth beat Wagner 9-5. Some interesting matchups this weekend, Manhattan vs. Bryant, Marist @ Bucknell, Monmouth vs. St. Joseph's, Quinnipiac @ Fairfield,
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

So Q"s game against Brown was supposed to be at home but was moved to Brown because of "field conditions" even though there wasn't any weather at that time. Today's women's game had to be moved to UCONN, what a disaster. New stadium and can't play on the field it seems until late March. Guess cork isn't the the greatest filling for field turf, guys fall on it like it's ice even on good days
fatherof2

Post by fatherof2 »

flyerfan17 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:31 am So Q"s game against Brown was supposed to be at home but was moved to Brown because of "field conditions" even though there wasn't any weather at that time. Today's women's game had to be moved to UCONN, what a disaster. New stadium and can't play on the field it seems until late March. Guess cork isn't the the greatest filling for field turf, guys fall on it like it's ice even on good days
Well...... using cork as the infill.. it's biggest selling point is that it keeps the field cooler! sounds like it's working. LOL
cooler in the summer vs hot black rubber granules. on the flip side. the black rubber granules make the field playable in Feb when the sun gets to it.
the Q out thunk themselves.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”