SoCon

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Justafan

Re: SoCon 2020

Post by Justafan »

I think Richmond, High Point, and Air Force will be pretty competitive for the next year, maybe 2. Then you will see them fall back a little. I wouldn’t put Jacksonville at that level at all and see it getting worse in the next couple of years.

I hope I am wrong, but it just seems like the growth of the amount of top talent has peaked for many different reasons. That obviously effects the non traditional conferences and programs. Would love to see the southern conference and some others take the next step.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

I'm not sure I see a SoCon drop-off coming. I think there is more parity on the way (perhaps not in the Top 3-5) but among the next 25-30.

FWIW, check on Jacksonville's current roster . . . they seem to be the transfer destination of choice for quite a few former Top 20-25 programs (Army-2. JHU-1, UMd-1, UAlb-1, MSM-1)
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

If I had to name just one reason why the SoCon will continue to (slowly) rise, it is playing time. While each transfer has their own unique reasons, PT seems to be a strong contributor. You also don’t have to wait until it’s your turn. (Don’t get me wrong, that’s a nice problem to have as a program, but it stinks if you are the one waiting.)
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

NElaxtalent wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:00 pm I'm not sure I see a SoCon drop-off coming. I think there is more parity on the way (perhaps not in the Top 3-5) but among the next 25-30.

FWIW, check on Jacksonville's current roster . . . they seem to be the transfer destination of choice for quite a few former Top 20-25 programs (Army-2. JHU-1, UMd-1, UAlb-1, MSM-1)
Transfer U.

I expect Jacksonville to be very competitive this season. Having seen them multiple times last year, including once in person, they have a lot of really good pieces but just couldn't complete the puzzle for some reason last season. Galloway is a good coach and that program is on the rise for sure, especially with their recent facility improvements. Expect to see them contend for the SoCon title for multiple years to come.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

I'm inclined to agree on Jax. I'm not as sure about HPU's status/trend. Did they catch lightning in a bottle with Troutner/Nolting combo? Or are they now a perennial Top 25 team?

I think Richmond & Air Force are definitely committed to lacrosse so I see a solid group of 3-4 teams vying for the SoCon title. Fun league to follow.
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

Jax is a weird one for me. Galloway seems to get the press but is 17-27 as a head coach. That should be improved upon this year with a watered down schedule but they are essentially the 4th best team in the second worst conference. Of all these transfers talked about only 1 to 2 actually get time and half of the transfers they got are goalies.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

shaadb-man wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:56 am Jax is a weird one for me. Galloway seems to get the press but is 17-27 as a head coach. That should be improved upon this year with a watered down schedule but they are essentially the 4th best team in the second worst conference. Of all these transfers talked about only 1 to 2 actually get time and half of the transfers they got are goalies.
They’re looking at the 4 straight losing season’s and Galloway leading them to a winning year in 2018, with a win over Navy, and a conference finals appearance.
Last year’s team beat High Point, and they found a breakout player in sophomore Jack Dolan.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

shaadb-man wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:56 am Jax is a weird one for me . . . but they are essentially the 4th best team in the second worst conference.
Hmmm, based on 2019 and looking forward, I'd have the SoCon in front of the NEC, MAAC & perhaps even AE now that UAlbany has dropped back considerably. IMHO none of those conferences are 3-deep like the SoCon. For 4/5/6 teams, Jax, Furman & Mercer have played some strong OOC opponents.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

This will be a tell-tale year for SoCon lax. Last year the conference had three very good wins (HPU over Duke and UVA, Richmond over ND). Other than that, some above average wins, some below average losses. The schedule several of the teams have put together this year could elevate them to true top-tier status, or relegate them to continued up-and-coming. HPU has Maryland, Duke, Cornell and UVA within the first 5 games; Richmond has Maryland, ND, Duke within first 5 games (as well as probably second-tier Navy), with UVA later in the season; AF has Duke, Denver and UVA within first 6 games. Jacksonville, which to me is fourth in the conference, isn’t taking nearly as big of a bite, with Duke being the only top-tier school on the schedule in their 7th game. Will be interesting to see how the results play out for the three bold teams, or whether Jacksonville enters conference/tournament play with the best record on paper. Will also be interesting to see the attitude and intensity some of the traditionally slow-season-starting blue blood teams come out against the SoCon teams during the early season games, having been knocked around early last year.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

D1 Men: Lacrosse Starts Tonight
With Colgate scrimmaging Jacksonville tonight at 7 PM EST in Tallahassee, FL, the lacrosse season has unofficially started.

There will be numerous more scrimmages on Saturday and Sunday. To see the list of scrimmages, go to http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/01/14/d1- ... s-tonight/.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Anyone at the Jacksonville scrimmage yesterday?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

NElaxtalent wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:00 pm I'm not sure I see a SoCon drop-off coming. I think there is more parity on the way (perhaps not in the Top 3-5) but among the next 25-30.

Jacksonville actually has 2 former Terps on the roster: Colin Hinton and Alex Giovinco
Hinton was the #38 recruit in the IL's 2017 Power freshman rankings.

I have noticed 2 outgoings from Jacksonville: Gavin Legg at Michigan, and there is a Tommy Clayton(incoming freshman) on Denison's roster.
Live Free or Die!
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

twitter account that followed the scrimmage

https://twitter.com/lax904?lang=en
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

shaadb-man wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:57 pm twitter account that followed the scrimmage
https://twitter.com/lax904?lang=en
“Freshman Jacob Greimer who earned the honor with his 6 goals yesterday v Colgate”
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 8/28/18, Re-Posted 1/1/20
Honoring the All-Phillylacrosse First-Team Boys’ Squad for 2019:
Attack
Jackson Birtwistle, Radnor, Jr. – US Lacrosse All-American, All-EPLCA, First Team Central League … Helped Raiders reach PIAA semifinals … Had 77 goals, 40 assists … Committed to Syracuse.
Jeb Brenfleck, Academy of the New Church, Jr. – US Lacrosse All-American, All-EPLCA, First Team Friends Schools League … Helped Lions reach National Prep semifinals and win Friends Schools League championship … Had 60 goals, 46 assists … Committed to Penn State.

Jacob Greiner, West Chester East, Sr. – US Lacrosse All-American, All-EPLCA, First Team Ches-Mont League … Helped Vikings win Ches-Mont League title … Had 53 goals, 36 assists … Signed with Jacksonville.

Jake Morin, Garnet Valley, Jr. – US Lacrosse All-American, All-EPLCA, First Team Central League … Helped Jaguars reach District 1 AAA final and PIAA semifinals … Had 52 goals, 41 assists … Committed to Penn State.
That was a big pickup for Jacksonville.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Carolina in the Morning. (Furman)
Caddy Day
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Real good write up on Brandon Dodd’s
recruitment to Air Force.
4 +4 against Duke, 1st college game

https://www.hjnews.com/sports/school/do ... a37d4.html
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:18 pm D1 MEN: Sean Goldsmith Flying Under-Radar
Coached against his dad coming off their NC state championship circa 1998. He was reffing D1 games while coaching SE Guilford HS. He couldn't have been more supportive of our budding club lacrosse program/league in Charlotte (or more gracious when we were able to nip them in the last 2 mins for a hard fought W on a cold/wet eve). Seem to recall they drilled us pretty bad the following year but those details are more foggy & certainly less important :lol: :lol: :lol:

Based on the name and style of play, I had presumed this was his son. M-PI thanks for sharing. Glad to hear all are doing well.
BearsLax

Post by BearsLax »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:18 pm D1 MEN: Sean Goldsmith Flying Under-Radar
This article bugs the tar out of me. Admittedly, I know very little about the inner workings of college lacrosse, but to suggest this kid should transfer to a perennial power is not good for the sport at all. Mercer has struggled in its short lacrosse history and the get a kid that can help them get some stability in their program and this guy wants him to transfer to a perennial power, What the heck!?
College lacrosse would be better served to be more competitive across the board, not have a dominate five or six programs.
Again, I know very little about the sport but the author of this article is completely wrong in this instance.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”