Wheels

Re: Transfer Poll: Chase Scanlan - Open through July 12th

Post by Wheels »

Live look at Desko offering #22...

http://gph.is/Ku3XsU
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:00 pm Live look at Desko offering #22...

http://gph.is/Ku3XsU
The man would give it to any random dude who walked in off the street at this point. Please, won't somebody take the #22 jersey?!!?!?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I’d have never guessed UVA. For anyone with good knowledge of the Hoos, are there openings at midfield there? I thought they were loaded there? I’m not so sure that’s the correct choice for him but let’s hope. Interestingly, I believe that is the Hounds’ first opponent next year!
:o

(and btw, anyone reading that interview should be able to understand better the dynamic between Chase and who was returning to the Hounds next year; it was never going to be a smooth issue).
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:21 pm I’d have never guessed UVA. For anyone with good knowledge of the Hoos, are there openings at midfield there? I thought they were loaded there? I’m not so sure that’s the correct choice for him but let’s hope. Interestingly, I believe that is the Hounds’ first opponent next year!

(and btw, anyone reading that interview should be able to understand better the dynamic between Chase and who was returning to the Hounds next year; it was never going to be a smooth issue).
Former Wahoo Zed Williams is his cousin and Lars has coached Scanlan on the Iroquois national team. Not shocked he is looking there. Top returning middie is Dox, obviously, but mostly unproven players behind him. Connors will likely get a lot of time as will Shellenberger running out of the box. Other names to watch are Simmons, Peele, Murray, and Maloney. More openings there than at attack IMO, which may have been the issue with Gray.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Laxter wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:45 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:21 pm I’d have never guessed UVA. For anyone with good knowledge of the Hoos, are there openings at midfield there? I thought they were loaded there? I’m not so sure that’s the correct choice for him but let’s hope. Interestingly, I believe that is the Hounds’ first opponent next year!

Former Wahoo Zed Williams is his cousin and Lars has coached Scanlan on the Iroquois national team. Not shocked he is looking there. Top returning middie is Dox, obviously, but mostly unproven players behind him. Connors will likely get a lot of time as will Shellenberger running out of the box. Other names to watch are Simmons, Peele, Murray, and Maloney. More openings there than at attack IMO, which may have been the issue with Gray.
Also have Cormier returning from injury, Dickson, Quinn, Sallade, Garno and others. Dont see a great fit , be a luxury that might lead to some discontent
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

stupefied wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:09 pm

Also have Cormier returning from injury, Dickson, Quinn, Sallade, Garno and others. Dont see a great fit , be a luxury that might lead to some discontent
Cormier and Dickson play attack. Sallade is at SSDM. :roll:
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Laxter wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:30 pm
stupefied wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:09 pm

Cormier and Dickson play attack. Sallade is at SSDM. :roll:
I know exactly where they play and where they may play. Surplus of talent results in position changes
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

VA seems a real possible because of his history with the coach and his cousin. At VA he has the connections and an opportunity to win a title so it makes sense.

Adjusting to life off the Rez is seldom easy and I am having some dissonance over his reasons for leaving LC and listing VA, Hop etc. as a destination for cultural reasons.

I have a friend from that Rez who played at Cuse and was an AA. I don’t meet him through lax I met him because of his work with Indians. He has tried for years to change the notion Chse is the only answer and players should go to schools like VA, Hop etc. Not that Cuse is not a great program and excellent school but to get them out into different environments and final destinations.

I voted Albany because of the Thompson’s experience and the thought it might be a cultural issue of being too far from the Rez. It doing well in these polls.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I'm going to agree with OCanada. Chase has to do what is best for him and has plenty of options. Conventional thinking would have him wind up at either Cuse or Albany. But IMO he is trying to chart his own path and I doubt he will do what others think he should do or what other players from the Rez have done before him so I don't think he will go to either school. Really sad to see him leave Loyola :( because he is a special player. IMO Chase will go to a team that has a chance to win a title or play in the Final Four every year, step in and play right away and be surrounded by good players, and play for a Coach he likes and trusts. And he can fill the shoes left by the departing Conrad. UVA does fit that requirement I hate to say, and it's a pretty special University. Heck, all of the schools he listed are way good with historical traditions and lacrosse legacy.

In the end I think Tiffany is going to be very happy.... :D
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Honestly, how great would it be if Chase chose Utah?!?!? :D
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Homer

Post by Homer »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:31 am Adjusting to life off the Rez is seldom easy and I am having some dissonance over his reasons for leaving LC and listing VA, Hop etc. as a destination for cultural reasons.
That's what I think we're all scratching our heads over, OC. For all we know it could just be a list of schools where he happens to know somebody. In fairness to him, you could say that the cultural issue is likely to be there at almost every program, and maybe he figures at least at these places somebody will have his back.

That said, honestly the impression one gets from reading the IL article is of a process that from the outside looks just a bit incoherent. Originally committed to Syracuse. The implication Xanders gives is that Cuse's main appeal for him now is financial, so you wonder if maybe from the start that wasn't a decision he felt fully comfortable with but felt he couldn't walk away from a full ride. Either way, he ends up decommitting, and -- again this is slightly reading between the lines in the article -- at that point the choice of a new program gets driven largely by the small number that still have significant scholarship money to offer. So, Loyola.

Now he's going back to the drawing board, but the approach still seems scattershot and constrained by less-than-ideal timing. He's visiting Cornell but not meeting with the coaches? So that he can find out if his hypothetical scholarship program can get him a waiver on the Ivy transfer deadline? I don't know anything about how that policy works, so maybe this is in fact totally plausible, but it strikes me as an odd theory.

Penn State was on the list, now apparently they're off. All this is not to criticize the kid -- far from it -- but just to point out that he might very well not have a totally clear idea of what he wants and how to find it, or he might have an idea that's clear to him but looks counter-intuitive to others. Trying to deduce logically where he's going to go based on public information should be labeled for entertainment purposes only.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:21 am https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... five/54917

Scanlan clarifies.......something.
I am wishing him luck. Kids sometimes just need to be where they feel comfortable. Loyola is a different environment. BC, Loyola, Holy Cross Fordham, Fairfield U and Villanova have a distinct culture. Maybe it wasn’t for Chase. I felt UVA had a chance. Wouldn’t mind seeing him land there.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Has Coach Tiffany said he plans to run Shellenberger out of the box or is that just your opinion? It would seem just as reasonable to move Matt Moore back to midfield and play Shellenberger at attack.
Live Free or Die!
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:31 am
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:21 am https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... five/54917

Scanlan clarifies.......something.
I am wishing him luck. Kids sometimes just need to be where they feel comfortable. Loyola is a different environment. BC, Loyola, Holy Cross Fordham, Fairfield U and Villanova have a distinct culture. Maybe it wasn’t for Chase. I felt UVA had a chance. Wouldn’t mind seeing him land there.
I was a huge fan of the kid and loved the write up about his background that came out earlier this year in Lax Mag. I wish he went with UVA in the first place. Why didn't he with Lars there and Zed having attended? Clearly Loyola wasn't for him, as he obviously has a beef with a certain "they" as is quoted in the article. Though no longer is the "locker room" (aka teammates) from the last interview, and it's no longer and issue of it being "blue collar" now that he's looking a Hopkins and an Ivy. Now it's "off the field". Either way, someone senior to him should advise him that in scenarios like this, you make it about yourself, not some vague and changing other that you can simply shift to justify your new circumstances. It may scare off potential coaches and teams, and it's not a good look.

I'm shocked that he's actually considering Hopkins, and I'd be thrilled if he actually went that route. He would bring so much to a program that has staled over the past few years. Of all the schools listed, he would make the biggest splash at Hop for sure. It would be a big deal. At the other schools, sure, he'd be an incredible player, but at Hopkins he would take on a much bigger role and one that the program desperately needs to right the ship.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Cooter wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:56 am
Laxter wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:45 pm Former Wahoo Zed Williams is his cousin and Lars has coached Scanlan on the Iroquois national team. Not shocked he is looking there. Top returning middie is Dox, obviously, but mostly unproven players behind him. Connors will likely get a lot of time as will Shellenberger running out of the box. Other names to watch are Simmons, Peele, Murray, and Maloney. More openings there than at attack IMO, which may have been the issue with Gray.
Has Coach Tiffany said he plans to run Shellenberger out of the box or is that just your opinion? It would seem just as reasonable to move Matt Moore back to midfield and play Shellenberger at attack.
haven't seen that commented anywhere by the coaching staff. obviously, shellenberger hasn't even attended a class and uva does have a few players, so anointing him a spot anywhere for his play in high school isn't/shouldn't happen.
moore was asked his freshman year if he'd be willing to go to attack. he felt he wasn't ready.
when cormier went down in the fall, he was approached again, felt he was, and was willing to do whatever would best help the team.
now they're a pretty good unit. i'd be shocked if that gets broken up after the way they produced on offense, and more importantly the way they dictated the game on the ride together.
aitken, scanlon, and then options conner, peele, shellenberger, dickson, simmons, maybe sallade or cormier and a host of others. things would look promising.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Cooter wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:56 am
Opinion.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Homer wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:25 am
OCanada wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:31 am Adjusting to life off the Rez is seldom easy and I am having some dissonance over his reasons for leaving LC and listing VA, Hop etc. as a destination for cultural reasons.
That's what I think we're all scratching our heads over, OC. For all we know it could just be a list of schools where he happens to know somebody. In fairness to him, you could say that the cultural issue is likely to be there at almost every program, and maybe he figures at least at these places somebody will have his back.

That said, honestly the impression one gets from reading the IL article is of a process that from the outside looks just a bit incoherent. Originally committed to Syracuse. The implication Xanders gives is that Cuse's main appeal for him now is financial, so you wonder if maybe from the start that wasn't a decision he felt fully comfortable with but felt he couldn't walk away from a full ride. Either way, he ends up decommitting, and -- again this is slightly reading between the lines in the article -- at that point the choice of a new program gets driven largely by the small number that still have significant scholarship money to offer. So, Loyola.

Now he's going back to the drawing board, but the approach still seems scattershot and constrained by less-than-ideal timing. He's visiting Cornell but not meeting with the coaches? So that he can find out if his hypothetical scholarship program can get him a waiver on the Ivy transfer deadline? I don't know anything about how that policy works, so maybe this is in fact totally plausible, but it strikes me as an odd theory.

Penn State was on the list, now apparently they're off. All this is not to criticize the kid -- far from it -- but just to point out that he might very well not have a totally clear idea of what he wants and how to find it, or he might have an idea that's clear to him but looks counter-intuitive to others. Trying to deduce logically where he's going to go based on public information should be labeled for entertainment purposes only.
Is the UVA roster full of players with blue collar backgrounds? UVA seems like one of the more patrician places to me. Same with Charlottesville.
Is blue collar a canard? It seems like the favorable reaction to Gray's decision to transfer might have paved the way for this move to trade up to a much stronger program, whichever one can make it work economically.
As Scanlan said “A lot of great programs have been very welcoming, and at the end of the day, I’m competitive and want to win like anybody else.”
Best of luck to him wherever he lands.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Way, way, way too much emphasis is being put on his "blue collar" comment. It's pretty clear he was caught off-guard by LSN and when asked to give a response, said something that wasn't entirely accurate. The schools he's looking at are the furthest thing from anyone's idea of blue collar so clearly that's not what he meant.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Based on Scanlan’s most recent comments, it seems: (1) his best buddy on the team, Pat Spencer, graduated; (2) the Loyola coaches and staff treated him very well; and (3) for whatever reason, he doesn’t feel like he fits in well socially at Loyola, and therefore wants to transfer.

Maybe he wants to upgrade his Patriot League competition to the ACC or B1G, but Loyola is a top-tier lacrosse program (there, I said it ;) ), so lacrosse itself doesn’t seem to be the issue.

Would love to see him choose Hopkins, but best wishes wherever he lands.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”