Which Program Will Win The Most National Titles This Upcoming Decade?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Which Program Will Win The Most National Titles This Upcoming Decade?

Post by wgdsr »

true. long list. there's also a list who made it one place and never again.

tiffany ya. also i believe tillman as an asst.

one thing is for sure, duke will have their pick of a lot of guys. maybe not from the b1g or acc, but almost everywhere else. they may swing and miss, but the school and their place in the sport will put them in a good spot.
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

Cooter wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:33 am
BigTom4 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:27 am I don't see him making it the whole decade either, I just don't see a significant drop off if they slot in Caputo, Casesse, or Chemotti
Good for you.
How many final fours have those guys coached teams to?
Caputo has coached in many final fours.

Also, love how you use final fours as the ultimate metric. Gotta prop up the UMD results anyway you can, right? If you ain't first you're last.
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

Cooter wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:11 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:01 am
BigTom4 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:27 am I don't see him making it the whole decade either, I just don't see a significant drop off if they slot in Caputo, Casesse, or Chemotti
Good for you.
same as tillman @ hahvahd?
danowski @ hofstra?
starsia and tiffany?
toomey, breschi, shay?
there are guys that did it before @ another school or as an asst (tierney, desko), but on the whole it'd seem that other attributes could be greater precursors.
One can come up with a list of many who didn't.
Assuming Danowski goes another five years, how many of those coaches on your list won a title in their first five years of coaching at the new school?
Danowski did in year 4
Tiffany did in year 3
Starsia did in year 5
Shay/Toomey not good comparable because they required major overhauls, unlike what would be needed replacing Dino

So yeah, not outlandish to think it could be a smooth transition.
Homer

Post by Homer »

BigTom4 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:48 am
Gotta prop up the UMD results anyway you can, right? If you ain't first you're last.
Pretty concerned about Duke going forward after their last-place finish this year.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Good for you.

Also, love how you use final fours as the ultimate metric. Gotta prop up the UMD results anyway you can, right? If you ain't first you're last.
Talking about head coaching. :roll:
Choice of final fours had nothing to do with UMd. :roll: Just putting the bar a little lower.

Winning a title is tough, you act like it is automatic for Duke. I haven't noticed Duke winning a title in the last 5 seasons. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

Homer wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:00 pm
Gotta prop up the UMD results anyway you can, right? If you ain't first you're last.
Pretty concerned about Duke going forward after their last-place finish this year.
Haha agreed. But crazy things can happen in a one season sample size. One goal (or one pipe) could be the differnce between first and last! Duke's last 10 years gives me confidence in their next 10.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

BigTom4 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:10 pm One goal (or one pipe) could be the differnce between first and last!
there's a difference between these 2?
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

Cooter wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:07 pm
Good for you.

Talking about head coaching. :roll:
Choice of final fours had nothing to do with UMd. :roll: Just putting the bar a little lower.

Winning a title is tough, you act like it is automatic for Duke. I haven't noticed Duke winning a title in the last 5 seasons. :idea:
Not at all automatic, just saying they have a better shot than the rest. Would still bet the field every year. And come on Coots, you always manipulate your stats and criteria. I'm not asking you how many NCAA championship games have the Terps played in over the last 2 seasons. Or how long is the Terps current final four streak. That would be petty. :idea:
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:15 pm
BigTom4 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:10 pm One goal (or one pipe) could be the differnce between first and last!
there's a difference between these 2?
Not to some refs
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

BigTom4 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:16 pm Not at all automatic, just saying they have a better shot than the rest. Would still bet the field every year. And come on Coots, you always manipulate your stats and criteria. I'm not asking you how many NCAA championship games have the Terps played in over the last 2 seasons. Or how long is the Terps current final four streak. That would be petty. :idea:
I imagine you can pick who you want. I picked the 3 I thought looked most likely, due to coaching, talent entering the period, recruiting... I don't necessarily feel that they are far in front of other top programs. One only has to look at Princeton rising up in the 1990s and winning 4 NCAA titles to realize it could be some team we wouldn't even consider at the moment.
Live Free or Die!
Nereo12

Post by Nereo12 »

I think Duke, Denver and Virginia shared
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

This pains me: Notre Dame. Why?: Their built in national recruiting infrastructure will only grow as lacrosse grows.

Then Maryland & UVA. Why? I believe schools that can take an advantage of changing lacrosse demographics, which state schools have and can, will benefit more than those who do not.

Just my 2 cents.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it wouldn't surprise me if there were only 1 or 2 teams with 2 champs, or maybe none.
the last 6 years, there've been 6 different champions. that hasn't happened for any 5 year stretch (i don't think) since the nc$$ started sponsoring lacrosse.
or maybe ever for that matter (hop had tons of champions when there were 6 teams and their alums voted in a cigar filled back room).

in that span, only one team has finished with fewer than 3 losses. used to be, 0, 1 or 2 losses was the norm. since 2010, that has changed.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

BigTom4 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:42 am
When it comes to desirability to recruits, who tops (Duke)? No offense to the Terp backers, but if you have the choice between a Duke diploma and an UMD diploma, who is taking the latter? Add to that good weather and a good looking student body, and the place sells itself. Duke admins have been supportive in getting recruits in, so they have a wide net and a strong value proposition that maybe only UNC and UVA can match.

I dunno, being falsely accused of rape and having the school administration plus most of the faculty side with the now-convicted murderer/false accuser seems to be a hurdle for me as a lax player...

Also, the answer to this question of course is Loyola. Thanks!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

The IVY that poaches the most highly ranked commits and has the greatest flexibility in admitting the unexceptional exceptions.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

stupefied wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:22 pm The IVY that poaches the most highly ranked commits and has the greatest flexibility in admitting the unexceptional exceptions.
Well, that cuts it down to just 2 teams.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

The NCAA has been holding a D1 lacrosse tournament every year since 1971 and we are currently experiencing the longest streak of consecutive years (6) with a different champion. The current streak started in ’14 with the Duke championship followed by Denver ’15, UNC ’16, Maryland ’17, Yale ’18 and Virginia in ‘19. The longest streak before that was four years (twice from ‘71-‘74 and ‘09-‘12).

I know that this thread is supposed to be about who will win the most in the next decade but I'd rather see who out there believes that this streak will continue for a seventh season? If you believe the streak will continue, who do you have winning the championship in 2020? I personally think that the streak will continue and I believe that Penn State or Cornell could win it all next year.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Henpecked wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:07 pm The NCAA has been holding a D1 lacrosse tournament every year since 1971 and we are currently experiencing the longest streak of consecutive years (6) with a different champion. The current streak started in ’14 with the Duke championship followed by Denver ’15, UNC ’16, Maryland ’17, Yale ’18 and Virginia in ‘19. The longest streak before that was four years (twice from ‘71-‘74 and ‘09-‘12).

I know that this thread is supposed to be about who will win the most in the next decade but I'd rather see who out there believes that this streak will continue for a seventh season? If you believe the streak will continue, who do you have winning the championship in 2020? I personally think that the streak will continue and I believe that Penn State or Cornell could win it all next year.
That is a pretty strong group of teams in the group of 6, particularly Yale, Duke, UVa and UMd. I would tend to feel those teams were a bit above 50% in total with a smidge more from Denver and UNC.
So I might guess it was a 40-45% chance that the streak of different teams would continue. The addition of Scanlan could push Syracuse well-forward, so I would go with Syracuse and Penn State as most likely to continue the streak. Adding a top goalie probably keeps Penn in the mix.
Live Free or Die!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Welcome Back Cotter

For those too young to remember, a old funny tv show where Travolta got his start
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

actual name of tv show was Welcome Back Kotter . Wish they had reruns

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”