Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
RedIvy

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by RedIvy »

Ivy League teams have chance to show leagues strength this week with Yale at Penn State, Penn at Duke and Princeton at Virginia!

And to a lesser extent Harvard at UMass, Cornell at Towson and Highpoint and Brown at Stony Brook.

Wins here will help for potential three team NCAA bid.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

A couple of Ivies in action midweek on Tuesday.

Brown (1-0) hosts Sacred Heart (1-1) in the inaugural game at the Center for Lacrosse and Soccer at Stevenson-Pincince Field. Face-off is 12:30 pm on ESPN+.

Princeton (1-0) hosts Colgate (0-2) at 6:00 pm, also on ESPN+. Michaels Sowers tied school record with 4 goals and 7 assists vs Monmouth last Saturday. Colgate's 2 losses were against top 10 UNC and Syracuse.

Go Ivies!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Trumansburger wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:21 am A couple of Ivies in action midweek on Tuesday.

Brown (1-0) hosts Sacred Heart (1-1) in the inaugural game at the Center for Lacrosse and Soccer at Stevenson-Pincince Field. Face-off is 12:30 pm on ESPN+.

Princeton (1-0) hosts Colgate (0-2) at 6:00 pm, also on ESPN+. Michaels Sowers tied school record with 4 goals and 7 assists vs Monmouth last Saturday. Colgate's 2 losses were against top 10 UNC and Syracuse.

Go Ivies!
Good out of conference tests for the Ivy League this upcoming Saturday. Michael Sowers can’t get over the 11 point hurdle! He has had multiple 11 point games. A lot of good players in the league. Jeff Teat rarely gets a mention and he has had a staggering career.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:17 am ... A lot of good players in the league. Jeff Teat rarely gets a mention and he has had a staggering career.
It seems that Teat got ample attention his sophomore year, but less since then. Last season, it was Ament, Spencer and some Sowers, with the spotlight not hitting Teat. Teat is a terrific player with great field vision, who often makes the game look so simple and easy.

I am really pulling for Penn to knock off Duke Saturday at a neutral location in NC. As for Yale at Penn State, last year TD Ierlan's dominance against Arceri had a lot to do with the Elis handing the Nittany Lions their only two losses of the season. Driving to last year's game in New Haven was the first and only time I went to a Yale game expecting the Bulldogs not to win. Playing PSU in State College, PA will be a massive, difficult test for Shay and company. I think Princeton should be able to handle Colgate tomorrow; then comes an extremely difficult test for Princeton, travelling down to Virginia to face the national champions on Saturday. Brown is my sleeper team this year; I expect them to handle Sacred Heart tomorrow in Providence, then beat Stony Brook Saturday on Long Guyland. Dartmouth will have a tough test Saturday, hosting Mike Pressler's Bryant. Harvard opens a new era Saturday, visiting always-tough UMass who knocked off The Ohio State this past Saturday. Towson has started with two losses and no wins; I think that if Cornell maintains focus it can knock off Towson Friday in Baltimore. Tricky to follow that up with a Sunday game in Balto versus High Point, but that also looks winnable for the Big Red. GO IVIES!
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:57 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:17 am ... A lot of good players in the league. Jeff Teat rarely gets a mention and he has had a staggering career.
It seems that Teat got ample attention his sophomore year, but less since then. Last season, it was Ament, Spencer and some Sowers, with the spotlight not hitting Teat. Teat is a terrific player with great field vision, who often makes the game look so simple and easy.

I am really pulling for Penn to knock off Duke Saturday at a neutral location in NC. As for Yale at Penn State, last year TD Ierlan's dominance against Arceri had a lot to do with the Elis handing the Nittany Lions their only two losses of the season. Driving to last year's game in New Haven was the first and only time I went to a Yale game expecting the Bulldogs not to win. Playing PSU in State College, PA will be a massive, difficult test for Shay and company. I think Princeton should be able to handle Colgate tomorrow; then comes an extremely difficult test for Princeton, travelling down to Virginia to face the national champions on Saturday. Brown is my sleeper team this year; I expect them to handle Sacred Heart tomorrow in Providence, then beat Stony Brook Saturday on Long Guyland. Dartmouth will have a tough test Saturday, hosting Mike Pressler's Bryant. Harvard opens a new era Saturday, visiting always-tough UMass who knocked off The Ohio State this past Saturday. Towson has started with two losses and no wins; I think that if Cornell maintains focus it can knock off Towson Friday in Baltimore. Tricky to follow that up with a Sunday game in Balto versus High Point, but that also looks winnable for the Big Red. GO IVIES!
Yes on Teat. Yes on Brown. Teat just doesn’t draw as much attention anymore. Terrific player. I just told someone yesterday that Brown is a sneaky team this year. Princeton vs UVA should be interesting. Two good games the last two seasons. Princeton’s loss on a deflected shot in OT last year has been symbolic of their luck. Hoping for a good game. Two starting defenseman were out On Saturday but may be back tomorrow. I like Penn and Yale this year and not sure what to make of the rest of the league yet. Harvard is a mystery. Good talent on the roster. New coach.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

TLD: I had two comments regarding your post:

1) Jeff Teat is a consummate team player, and, unlike a highly demonstrative athletic player like Pat Spencer, Teat is less likely to make "highlight reel" type of plays. However, against Albany, he put up a highly respectable five points (1,4). My guess is that, while he might never draw the attention that flashier players do that he will continue to have a highly respected career both in the pro and international ranks after Cornell. Personally, I think that it would be better for the sport if his selfless play and incredible stick work were somehow highlighted a bit more.

2) Harvard could be tougher this year. From various messages that I've seen from the coaches as well as following their social media, it seems like they have a new intensity and focus. As I've noted in earlier posts, I assume that there will be some "upsets" in the Ivies this year.
Last edited by faircornell on Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

consummate?
Typical Lax Dad

faircornell wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:48 pm TLD: I had two comments regarding your post:

1) Jeff Teat is a consulate team player, and, unlike a highly demonstrative athletic player like Pat Spencer, Teat is less likely to make "highlight reel" type of plays. However, against Albany, he put up a highly respectable five points (1,4). My guess is that, while he might never draw the attention that flashier players do that he will continue to have a highly respected career both in the pro and international ranks after Cornell. Personally, I think that it would be better for the sport if his selfless play and incredible stick work were somehow highlighted a bit more.

2) Harvard could be tougher this year. From various messages that I've seen from the coaches as well as following their social media, it seems like they have a new intensity and focus. As I've noted in earlier posts, I assume that there will be some "upsets" in the Ivies this year.
Teat is one of my favorite players. For no apparent reason, his profile seemed to drop between his sophomore and junior seasons. He has put up big numbers every year. Under appreciated in my book.

Harvard should be interesting this year. My guess is they will be better late in the season.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CU77 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:52 pmconsummate?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks ! My mistake.
Typical Lax Dad

faircornell wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:22 pm
Jeff was 2nd team AA last year. His work didn’t go unnoticed!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:26 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:22 pm
Jeff was 2nd team AA last year. His work didn’t go unnoticed!
Thank you. Clearly, he's had recognition. The argument that you might hear from a Big Red fan is that there were a few occasions where Ivy POW was justified, but not given, in 2019. Also, at least once in the past two years, a Tewaaraton Finalist nomination might have been in order. I am aware of several good arguments why such recognitions were not given. Personally, I think it's unfortunate that such a unique talent for the game isn't highlighted a bit more.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Fourth Quarter still going on. Michael Sowers has put up 14 points against Colgate. Amazing.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

At the end of last year I thought Teat and Sowers were neck and neck for the best offensive players in the league. Watching Sowers tonight, have to believe he is the best player in the country. The load he carries for that Princeton O is a little scary, but if he can keep it up they’ll be in any game.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Sting The Corner wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:00 pm At the end of last year I thought Teat and Sowers were neck and neck for the best offensive players in the league. Watching Sowers tonight, have to believe he is the best player in the country. The load he carries for that Princeton O is a little scary, but if he can keep it up they’ll be in any game.
The fight for places in the Ivy Tournament will be extremely competitive. At some point in the season, we could see four Ivies in the Top Twenty.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Maybe even 5. Could happen as soon as this coming Monday, but a bunch of meaningful games between now and then. Way too early to really tell, but I sense a deep and successful league this year.
Typical Lax Dad

Sting The Corner wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:00 pm At the end of last year I thought Teat and Sowers were neck and neck for the best offensive players in the league. Watching Sowers tonight, have to believe he is the best player in the country. The load he carries for that Princeton O is a little scary, but if he can keep it up they’ll be in any game.
It's going to balance out as the season rolls forward and the team scoring will come easier.
molo

Post by molo »

Will Teat put up Sowers like points at the U this Friday? Looking forward to a rare Cornell appearance here this week.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Unlikely … but I wish I could be there to watch with you!
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Equally impressive as Sower’s performance was his coach taking him out with 9:37 left in the game. ultimate sportsmanship on part of coach assuming not injured. He was a point away from NCAA assist and two points away from all time point record. Wonder how many other coaches would have taken him out.

Really reflects well on IVY League and Princeton in particular. Ivy League has big chance to shine this weekend
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Bearfan wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:09 am Equally impressive as Sower’s performance was his coach taking him out with 9:37 left in the game. ultimate sportsmanship on part of coach assuming not injured. He was a point away from NCAA assist and two points away from all time point record. Wonder how many other coaches would have taken him out.

Really reflects well on IVY League and Princeton in particular. Ivy League has big chance to shine this weekend
Coach Madalon may recall how Dylan Molloy was kept in a 2016 playoff game against Hopkins and broke his foot in the final minutes. Brown was leading 17-6 at the time. Molloy set the all time school goals record in that game and was chasing several NCAA scoring marks. Many Brown State fans believe that decision cost the Bears a national championship. Molloy played with a Novocaine shot in the semis where Brown lost to Maryland in OT.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”