ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Re: ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:56 am So BC v. Syracuse and UNC v. Duke...and a UNC-BC final. Semis are Friday evening.

Curious why UNC didn't rest starters a bit, and instead left them in for some monster stat-padding.
I hope you’re right. BC looked shaky, and I know that’s a funny thing to say about a team that won by 11, but they were making a lot of mistakes. Good thing Abbey was stellar in net. I don’t know if they can get away with that kind of play against a team of Syracuse’s magnitude. I’m going to take them game by game. And I have no idea why Kenzie Kent didn’t even dress for the game. If she is out, all bets are off for me.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:05 am
seacoaster wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:56 am So BC v. Syracuse and UNC v. Duke...and a UNC-BC final. Semis are Friday evening.

Curious why UNC didn't rest starters a bit, and instead left them in for some monster stat-padding.
I hope you’re right. BC looked shaky, and I know that’s a funny thing to say about a team that won by 11, but they were making a lot of mistakes. Good thing Abbey was stellar in net. I don’t know if they can get away with that kind of play against a team of Syracuse’s magnitude. I’m going to take them game by game. And I have no idea why Kenzie Kent didn’t even dress for the game. If she is out, all bets are off for me.
C'mon now. They made the Final and lost by a goal to an excellent team without Kent at all last year. Big breath in...and exhale. All will be well.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

SERIOUSLY? Is no one going to mention that the so-called 4th ranked team, Notre Dame, was upset by 18th ranked Duke last night in the ACC tournament? And once again the Goldendomers can't get it done. They have some very good talent, but their name carries more weight than the results. Just like in college Football. Everyone knows about "Touchdown Jesus", but the National Championships are at Clemson and Alabama.

Thoughts?
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:19 am

C'mon now. They made the Final and lost by a goal to an excellent team without Kent at all last year. Big breath in...and exhale. All will be well.
No, they're the team from the ballyhooed ACC who lost by a goal in the Final to a Darkhorse team from the CAA. Raise your hand if you picked JMU to win the Championship at the beginning of last season(Shelley Klaes-Bawcombe please put your hand down). That's what I thought.
DMac

Post by DMac »

By "no one", you mean the four (okay, maybe six) posters who come on and post on the wlax side?
Good to see ya, bout time you showed up.

Looked like two pretty evenly matched teams to me. Rankings, shmankings, don't mean jack, most of these teams can beat one another on any given day. That might be the most goals I've seen Giacolone give up in a game (not knocking her, just don't think it was her best day) and I doubt ND cares to see any more of the Jenner sisiters. Ollie was on a mission, just wasn't going to be denied (reminded me of Cuse's Hawryschuk in the earlier game) and "little" sister did a pretty good job on the DCs.
Didn't have a dog in the fight but thought it was a pretty good game.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

But BC had Tess Chandler’s 50 goals, and Kaileen Hart’s 57 goals and 28 assists last year. If you take away Kent, there is not only a drop off in goals and assists, but they lose Kent’s excellent leadership and quarterbacking skills.

I hear what you’re saying, but if I said it, it would be whistling past the graveyard.

Time will tell...
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:13 am By "no one", you mean the four (okay, maybe six) posters who come on and post on the wlax side?
:lol: Love it
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

That’s it for Duke in the tournament though. Ain’t no way they’ll get by the Tar Heels tomorrow night. They expended a lot of energy and emotion beating UND. They won’t have much left for Ortega and company. It’ll be UNC by 5-8.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:23 am SERIOUSLY? Is no one going to mention that the so-called 4th ranked team, Notre Dame, was upset by 18th ranked Duke last night in the ACC tournament? And once again the Goldendomers can't get it done. They have some very good talent, but their name carries more weight than the results. Just like in college Football. Everyone knows about "Touchdown Jesus", but the National Championships are at Clemson and Alabama.

Thoughts?
Are you the gentleman from the erstwhile Lax Power who frequently spoke of Joe Spallina and the Stony Brook Sea Wolves?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:23 am SERIOUSLY? Is no one going to mention that the so-called 4th ranked team, Notre Dame, was upset by 18th ranked Duke last night in the ACC tournament? And once again the Goldendomers can't get it done. They have some very good talent, but their name carries more weight than the results. Just like in college Football. Everyone knows about "Touchdown Jesus", but the National Championships are at Clemson and Alabama.

Thoughts?
I thought that Duke had a chance...I think I agree with you, ND is almost always overrated in every sport, not just Women's Lax....
DMac

Post by DMac »

Just in case I'm not the last one to see this, three pretty good players here (alright, very good).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHtkmTdC2Ho
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:26 am

Thoughts?
Are you the gentleman from the erstwhile Lax Power who frequently spoke of Joe Spallina and the Stony Brook Sea Wolves?
That is him; and it's nice of you to call him a gentleman.

Larry, maybe the only good thing about my commenting on the Notre Dame Choke-Burger last night is that it -- and Notre Dame -- provoked a response from you. Good to hear from you. Our ranks are now up to, like, nine, and that's including Nigel ("11, one more").
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:03 pm ("11, one more").
nice
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

DMac wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:43 pm Just in case I'm not the last one to see this, three pretty good players here (alright, very good).
Yeah, I watched this a few hours before yesterday's games, which is why I was puzzled (I almost wrote "gobsmacked" -- there, I wrote it) to see Kent on the sideline. No sign of anything amiss in that video, which I think was filmed this week.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:43 pm Just in case I'm not the last one to see this, three pretty good players here (alright, very good).
It was a nice piece and Carc always does a great job with profiling players. I am a big Dempsey Arsenault fan. Just like the way she plays. However, Kenzie Kent is not a Superstar. That's an overstatement. She's good, but hasn't played in enough games to be thought of in those terms. I respect her and what she does, but will stop way before I say superstar. Apuzzo...nothing needs to be said!
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:16 pm

However, Kenzie Kent is not a Superstar. That's an overstatement. She's good, but hasn't played in enough games to be thought of in those terms. I respect her and what she does, but will stop way before I say superstar. Apuzzo...nothing needs to be said!
So, 2017 was the last time Kent played in the post-season. In five NCAA tourney games, she had 21G, 16A (averaging more than 7ppg). Was she merely good or a superstar?
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Badlands wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:01 pm

However, Kenzie Kent is not a Superstar. That's an overstatement. She's good, but hasn't played in enough games to be thought of in those terms. I respect her and what she does, but will stop way before I say superstar. Apuzzo...nothing needs to be said!
So, 2017 was the last time Kent played in the post-season. In five NCAA tourney games, she had 21G, 16A (averaging more than 7ppg). Was she merely good or a superstar?
+1. KK is a superstar by any measure. She was MVP of the tournament in 2017 despite not being on the winning team.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:15 pm
Badlands wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:01 pm

+1. KK is a superstar by any measure. She was MVP of the tournament in 2017 despite not being on the winning team.
I put Kenzie Kent’s numbers for This season up against anyone playing This year, even Apuzzo. (And this is after she took a whole year off playing lacrosse.) But that’s not the only thing that makes her a superstar—it’s what she does on the field that won’t ever show up on any stat sheet. Some of the moves she makes, her view of the field and her teammates, and her grasp of strategy makes her a bona fide superstar. Not even worthy of a discussion.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:03 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:26 am

Thoughts?
That is him; and it's nice of you to call him a gentleman.

Larry, maybe the only good thing about my commenting on the Notre Dame Choke-Burger last night is that it -- and Notre Dame -- provoked a response from you. Good to hear from you. Our ranks are now up to, like, nine, and that's including Nigel ("11, one more").
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:21 am

But BC had Tess Chandler’s 50 goals, and Kaileen Hart’s 57 goals and 28 assists last year. If you take away Kent, there is not only a drop off in goals and assists, but they lose Kent’s excellent leadership and quarterbacking skills.

I hear what you’re saying, but if I said it, it would be whistling past the graveyard.

Time will tell...
If Kent had played last year, do you still think Tess Chandler scores 50g and Kaileen Hart has 57g & 28a?? Even with Kent, Apuzzo, and Arsenault this year, Cara Urbank has 44g 16a, Sheila Rietano has 28g 12a, and Taylor Walker has 27g 7a and I think all three are capable of stepping up and putting up bigger numbers if needed.

BC did look a little less disciplined than usual, but the camera crew caught Coach Walker-Weinstein's reaction to some of those turnovers and I have no doubt it will be addressed in practice.

Lastly, I don't think you can deny Kent is a star. She is a star surrounded by other stars, so she may not stand out as much at times, but she's definitely a star.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”