4/17/2019 Regional Rankings

D2 Mens Lacrosse
laxfan4all

Re: 4/17/2019 Regional Rankings

Post by laxfan4all »

Have to believe stones in region record will be corrected. Like it or not, the selections are made entirely on mathematical equations. The numbers are put in, a result comes out. There are no bias, no opinions, no polls.
bmorelax

Post by bmorelax »

Most every state has different "in region" states. I found the list last year on the NCAA site, but haven't seen it again.

Last year for PA, NC was "in region", but SC was not.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

bmorelax wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:09 am Most every state has different "in region" states. I found the list last year on the NCAA site, but haven't seen it again.

Last year for PA, NC was "in region", but SC was not.
It is a complicated formula for what is in region and what is not. The regional concepts are based on the footprints of the major conferences common to most sports. For example, basketball, baseball/softball, soccer, etc... Conferences are bound together into those regions, and every game played with a team in one of those other conferences is an in-region game for those sports. Limestone is in Conference Carolinas. The SAC and Peach Belt are the other two conferences in the Southeast region, so all basketball games between the teams in those three conferences are in-region games, whereas if Limestone were to play say Grand Valley State University in basketball it would be out-of-region...

To make regions not quite so tiny, there are some additional rules - the easiest to understand is the neighboring state rule. So if Limestone plays basketball against Livingstone (HBCU) in the CIAA, which is in a different region than the Southeast, it still counts as an in-region game because NC is neighboring to SC. This is not the only additional rule. There do exist documents that show the regionalization, and have all the tables of states showing which games count as in region or not depending on your traditional region and state and the state of your opponent. The last one I could find online is from 2014, so it may be a bit out of date...http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/m ... pdf?id=874

Big pdf of a set of powerpoint slides, but has the tables from a few years ago...

For lacrosse, where the regions are artificial, play within those artificial regions are in-region, but play against opponents that would be in-region for the traditional regions are also in-region. So in those tables from 2014-2016 seasons PA and NC are in-region, but PA and SC are not. But since that is an older alignment (which gets updated when conferences change/expand/contract) the process of determining who is in-region or not needs to be updated...
dodger29

Post by dodger29 »

I think this is the document that describes "in-region" institutions by state for 2018-2019. It's a downloadable PDF of only the regional breakdowns:

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/file ... 180914.pdf
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

dodger29 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:42 am I think this is the document that describes "in-region" institutions by state for 2018-2019. It's a downloadable PDF of only the regional breakdowns:

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/file ... 180914.pdf
Thanks - and note that PA/SC is in region...
Hounds_dad

Post by Hounds_dad »

Did anyone really look at the “ In-Region Competition By State” chart, where’s Indiana...... only shown in Midwest Region. Go Fish
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Hounds_dad wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:17 pm Did anyone really look at the “ In-Region Competition By State” chart, where’s Indiana...... only shown in Midwest Region. Go Fish
It is in more than one place - you need to know how to read it. In the first column are the states that can potentially be in the region listed - so if you go to the Atlantic region, for example, that means schools that would have membership in a "traditional" conference in the Atlantic region (such as members of the MEC, CIAA, or PSAC which comprise the Atlantic region conferences). For a school in the MEC that happens to be in OH (Urbana) the first section of the document lists the Atlantic region, and then the OH line shows among the many in the list IN for Indiana. So if UIndy plays Urbana in Women's lax, it is a region game.

The line starting with IN only occurs in the Midwest region because there are no schools in Indiana that are both DII and members of a conference that is not in the Midwest region...
Hounds_dad

Post by Hounds_dad »

Ok if I’m understanding your explanation hurst and seton hill are in region games
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Hounds_dad

Post by Hounds_dad »

Crystal clear as Mississippi River, if your a college in Ohio or South Carolina you have the two largest “in region” foot prints but if your a Midwest region school. Your screwed.
Laxfan220

Post by Laxfan220 »

When it comes to men’s Lacrosse. I have a hard time understanding why they would use these crazy regional maps. There is a North and South region that’s it. 6 teams from each for the tournament that’s it. Schools are only able to qualify for tournament in the region they are assigned. If your a team that is considered a south team than all games played against south region teams should be in region and any games played against a Team that qualifies through the North should be an out of region game. It is totally preposterous that 2 teams that qualify through the same region can play the same opponents and one team gets regional credit for the games and the other does not totally rediccucliius.
Greyhounds

Post by Greyhounds »

It’s common sense that the 8 best teams in the south are

Limestone
Queens
Belmont abbey
Indy
Mount Olive
Rockhurst
Catawba
Wingate

There are so many holes in the “math”, it’s dumb.
Greyhounds

Post by Greyhounds »

What is the purpose of the coaches poll :lol:

So we dad can sit here during work and debate each other each week? :lol:

So the USILA can post social media content :lol:

Tampa is unranked, then at 4 in the south :lol:

Uindy is 7 in the country, and 6 in the south :lol:

Rockhurst 13 in the country, and potentially 9 or lower in the south :lol:

Based on the USILA coaches poll, it’s

Limestone
Belmont Abbey
Uindy
Mount Olive
Rockhurst
Queens
Wingate
Catawba
Lynn
Lindenwood
Tampa

Not far off, with an arguement queens could be higher.

In region :lol: math :lol: NCAA Voting Committee :lol:
Greyhounds

Post by Greyhounds »

Tampa :lol:
JimBeam

Post by JimBeam »

Greyhounds wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:51 am What is the purpose of the coaches poll :lol:

So we dad can sit here during work and debate each other each week? :lol:

Yes, I believe that's exactly what it's for. ;)
laxfan4all

Post by laxfan4all »

Greyhounds wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:36 am It’s common sense that the 8 best teams in the south are

Limestone
Queens
Belmont abbey
Indy
Mount Olive
Rockhurst
Catawba
Wingate

There are so many holes in the “math”, it’s dumb.
Agree 100% about what is, and what isn't an in-region game. But we'll have to agree to disagree about the selection criteria. How can you say Rockhurst is a top 6 team. They have only beaten 2 teams with a winning record. The only other team in their conference with a winning record, Mesa, game was cancelled. I guess we'll see tonight how good they are. As far as the math. Numbers don't lie. If it was all about W's and L's, every team would just schedule inferior opponents and assume they'll get in with a great record. There has to be some credit given for SOS. System may not be perfect, but I believe it is fair.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Having seen both UIndy and Rockhurst against the same opponent this year, tonight's game is a toss up. Very similar scores against the better common opponents (Belmont Abbey, Lindenwood, Maryville), and both are senior-heavy teams who know that their playoff hopes depend on this game.

It's cold and rainy in Indy today, and the Rockhurst coaches prepared last night by taking their players to a local HS game where they could stand in the cold rain for an hour with no umbrellas or rain gear. I've never seen that coaching tactic before, but we'll find out tonight if it helped. :lol:
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
dodger29

Post by dodger29 »

laxfan4all go check the math that the NCAA provided (http://web1.ncaa.org/champsel_new/exec/ ... ticpdfrank) Rockhurst has a better SOS and RPI by their calculations than both Mount Olive and UIndy who are sitting in #5 and #6. You can say all you like about what you see in their schedule but the NCAA has put numbers to their own process that says otherwise. Oh and by the way Mesa is no longer in Rockhurst's conference-- Mesa in the RMAC and Rockhurst is in the GLVC...

WhiteCarrera, Rockhurst has 11 guys from Minnesota, 2 from Idaho and 3 from Colorado, UIndy has 9 Canadians, 7 guys from Michigan, and 5 guys from IL-IN-OH-NY I don't think a forecast of 46 and cloudy will bother either team much... It's like summer back home for these squads.

In all honesty my take from the first week of the rankings from the 4 member NCAA selection committee is that they were not impressed with either UIndy or Rockhurst despite what other coaches or anyone else has said about either team. They are saying that one of those teams will have to win out to get an invite to the NCAA tournament (and don't expect a home game if they do get that invite)... Which is whole heaping pile of BS in my opinion. But, what do I know I just watch games...
laxfan4all

Post by laxfan4all »

My bad...IL still shows them both in the RMAC
HoundsDad

Post by HoundsDad »

I know i am new to the board, but my take is you would hope common sense would prevail. Look at Tampa best wins over #17 LR and #20 Rollins. UIndy best wins #3 Seton Hill #8 MercyHurst #14 Lindenwood . Common opp Belmont Abbey, both losses and Lindenwood which UIndy beat 11-6. What does SOS mean when you lose 5 games?? Seems like the NCAA selection committee is set to send the same teams year in and year out to the tourney. UIndy and Rockhurst should not be penalized because they play in the midwest.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”