Coaches Running the Show

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: Coaches Running the Show

Post by bearlaxfan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:19 am
OCanada wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:03 am We called our daughter yesterday to assume her we did not pay 500k or bribe Mandy so she could play lacrosse at Yale when they last played in the NCAA tourney,
:lol:
My son had no such concerns...our limited $ all-in our start-up...nothing to spare! :(

He currently works for an international educational consulting edtech company helping international students seeking to go to top schools in the US and UK. $50mm rev, 7th year in business, started by one of his college classmates when still in HS. One of the first things he did was educate the entire company on NCAA guidelines when dealing with athletes, cleaned up some inadvertent over steps, but bribing coaches?! They get paid well for what they do, but this stuff with bribing and falsifying SAT's is way, way outside the norm...that said, there's a reason why Chinese kids (he's currently in Shanghai) need to fly to Hawaii or California in order to sit for the SAT. Apparently there'd indeed been fraud over there.

On the coaches, pretty darn horrifying, but if you think about it, not really that difficult to do. One kid every year or two, on the edge, for bucks augments that paycheck...certainly there were often one or two players on my son's Ivy team with big buck parents who never saw the field...but phonying whether they even played the sport...wow.

I recall the rumors on my son's team that $ were influencing playing time. Very perplexing PT choices gave rise to such rumors, particularly given that there was some serious parental wealth associated. I dismissed them at the time.

Yikes...
Thank dog the big money college sports coaches are insulated from this temptation! ;)
Can't find the link to the national map of highest paid state employees, but many are hoop or football coaches. Corruption top or bottom.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:40 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:19 am
OCanada wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:03 am We called our daughter yesterday to assume her we did not pay 500k or bribe Mandy so she could play lacrosse at Yale when they last played in the NCAA tourney,
:lol:
My son had no such concerns...our limited $ all-in our start-up...nothing to spare! :(

He currently works for an international educational consulting edtech company helping international students seeking to go to top schools in the US and UK. $50mm rev, 7th year in business, started by one of his college classmates when still in HS. One of the first things he did was educate the entire company on NCAA guidelines when dealing with athletes, cleaned up some inadvertent over steps, but bribing coaches?! They get paid well for what they do, but this stuff with bribing and falsifying SAT's is way, way outside the norm...that said, there's a reason why Chinese kids (he's currently in Shanghai) need to fly to Hawaii or California in order to sit for the SAT. Apparently there'd indeed been fraud over there.

On the coaches, pretty darn horrifying, but if you think about it, not really that difficult to do. One kid every year or two, on the edge, for bucks augments that paycheck...certainly there were often one or two players on my son's Ivy team with big buck parents who never saw the field...but phonying whether they even played the sport...wow.

I recall the rumors on my son's team that $ were influencing playing time. Very perplexing PT choices gave rise to such rumors, particularly given that there was some serious parental wealth associated. I dismissed them at the time.

Yikes...
Thank dog the big money college sports coaches are insulated from this temptation! ;)
Can't find the link to the national map of highest paid state employees, but many are hoop or football coaches. Corruption top or bottom.
Presumably the price tag would be higher.
I'd think that the corruption would mostly be the sports agent/shoe company racket where the #'s get really, really big.

The non-money sports probably more fertile ground for slipping a kid or two through admissions. Same for playing time (ego).
molo

Post by molo »

Interesting letter to the editor in this morning’s Sun from a former college counselor at a couple of private schools that serve Baltimore’s richest families.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
molo

Post by molo »

I was a public school counselor for 40 years. I’m glad to hear that at Baltimore’s pay to play schools no one ever used private admissions counselors or was determined to have questionable disabilties. I guess the areas elite are as honest as they are rich.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

This probably deserves its own thread.

I happen to know the author of that letter, and while I’m sure she honestly believes what she writes, I’m not sure she is/was fully cognizant of the complete landscape.

I’m also confident that she and her colleagues at Gilman (during her tenure there, and before and after,) would have never been complicit with ANY of the fraudulent behaviors alleged in this scandal.

But that doesn’t mean that parents weren’t incrementally spending on external counseling. Just as they were spending on their kids outside fitness coaches etc.

But she was a bit clueless about this when I was trying to my son get cleared to work out daily off campus for the one season he wasn’t playing a varsity sport his junior year, coming back from an injury. She suggested he play an intramural sport. When I tried to explain that it was necessary for his recruiting process that crucial junior year, she said something to the effect that only the very best athletes get recruited. That took me back a step as clearly she was saying that my son wasn’t on such a track. I explained to her that my son had a solid chance of leveraging lax to get into an Ivy or NESCAC level school, given his strong academics. She looked at me like I was crazy. I didn’t prevail, so he did his serious training that fall after wasting 90 mins of intramural screwing around. All-Ivy, did well in school.

In my son’s case, that extra training was at his own expense. He traded hours coaching other kids for time working out.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”