All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

PizzaSnake

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by PizzaSnake »

CU77 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:29 pm A point I heard made by a doc on TV: bad reactions to the covid vaccine are FAR more treatable than covid.

Life is about balancing risks.
So practice medical arbitrage? Buy Mylan stock?😂😂
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ggait wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:29 pm
That’s just to get a few hours of drinking in when you’re working 80-100hr weeks...(for people who haven’t done this for 1+yrs solid it’s not exaggeration, 9-2/3am most weekenights, some overnighters, something like 10/11-4-7pm in Sat and Sun, almost all expenses are covered from dinner per diem to car service home so you save a lot of money in discretionary expenditures. I know people that did that for 3-4yrs, I was lucky to miss a chunk of that period but not all)
Young lawyers working in NYC did the same (at least back in the day).

A guy I knew actually lived at the law firm for a couple years. His folks lived in the outer boroughs, so he never rented an apartment in the city. He'd stay at the firm during the work week, then reload at the parents house over the weekend.

Slept on a partners couch, showered in the firm gym, ate all meals in the firm cafeteria, took car service to/from the clubs. Was able to bill more hours AND party more since he cut out all that commuting time. Saved a lot of money since his living expenses (except for entertainment and a Hamptons summer share) were zero.
I know, I always found it funny when I had to make demands of some 4th yr associate at Cadwalater who went to like Harvard law while I was a borderline middle class form of affirmative action as a first year associate at Credit Suisse. I mean I only reflect on that now many years later at the time I had some deadline or other reason I needed the thing done or just didn’t want to deal with my boss throwing a chair again or breaking his phone by smashing it repeatedly over something generally manageable or fixable. Traded client dinners with law firms a lot too which is how I got my taste for awesome steak and related that I couldn’t afford more than a few times a year at best.

But if you have to pay rent that still sucks up a good bit of the salary. Just not having to pay for dinners and some other benefits frees up a ton of cash flow.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:31 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:57 pm small sample size, but a randomized trial. and even better results than the hcq.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7605811/
Quote from the article: "Herbal medicine was used for symptomatic treatment in this study and the results showed that there was a significant between-group difference ". I would have liked to see more info on this part of the study. How much relief was provided?

If it can be shown that herbals or other alternate treatments can provide some measure of relief, will USA doctors adopt the use of herbal medicines as well? After all, while we are all anxiously awaiting a vaccine, we still need treatments for now. Let's all hope that light of the end of the tunnel starts becomes visible at long last.
there's been some on those that were used:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7414728/
https://www.heraldopenaccess.us/openacc ... f-covid-19
and others:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 01066/full
https://journals.lww.com/md-journal/Ful ... se.74.aspx
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 20-01153-7

china i believe is much more in on herbals than a lot of other places. considering the lack of prevalence of covid there, tougher to get larger clinical trials there. there are a bunch more links if you google "lianhua qingwen and huoxiang zhengqi". and a number of links to studies within those above studies. maybe something else to find in clinicaltrials.org

i doubt you could get much in the way of western trials never mind approvals coming. but maybe some possibly effective ones are prescribed by folks or don't need to be. i've got my quercetin, which is use in china, in lieu of my hcq,
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

njbill wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:23 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:57 pm small sample size, but a randomized trial. and even better results than the hcq.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7605811/
Better than HCQ? That’s unpossible.

Next, you are going to say it is better and more effective than injecting bleach.
you might already have used it as that next gen anti-malarial. no nightmares. you're in.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:36 pm
holmes435 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:27 pm Huh. And I always thought blow was the weight loss supplement of choice of the Wall Street guys. ;)
That’s just to get a few hours of drinking in when you’re working 80-100hr weeks...(for people who haven’t done this for 1+yrs solid it’s not exaggeration, 9-2/3am most weekenights, some overnighters, something like 10/11-4-7pm in Sat and Sun, almost all expenses are covered from dinner per diem to car service home so you save a lot of money in discretionary expenditures. I know people that did that for 3-4yrs, I was lucky to miss a chunk of that period but not all)
That’s exactly how it was. I remember not being able to sleep because I would see model formulas when I closed my eyes. I was basically working around the clock and I wasn’t at a sweatshop. A young guy at DLJMB from south side of Chicago was well into 6 figures in the early 1990’s and he wanted to quit because all he did was work. He said his family thought he was crazy for wanting to quit. I don’t know what became of him. My last DLJMB memory was working on a model and not being able to get the deferred tax to balance and after two days I called up the analyst there and told him it wouldn’t balance.... he said it was hard coded and he didn’t think anyone would notice. I had gotten grief for not getting it to work because, of course, the guys at DLJMB wouldn’t produce a model that didn’t work.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I remember my friend from hobart who worked in PR was telling me about doing something because of summer fridays and I was like “what the f*%k is that?!?”. I was like 27 and little better maybe doing 80ish hours and mostly getting out around midnight and he was making $55k 5yrs I’m living in a 750sq ft, two bed, 1ba railroad apt on 11th between B&C, so much easier to swallow but this cat was leaving work at lunch on Fridays in summers until he was like 30! He was also in that apt until he almost turned 31, I recall being in his room “meditating with DMacs type of party” while he was hosting a small party and while a little “relaxed” we’re staring at his window which led to a brick wall no more than 9 inches away and he goes, “I’m probably to old to be in this place and with a roommate huh?” (We also f%#ed his building up, no point replacing the fire alarm on the door to the roof with as many times as we broke it)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:24 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:40 pm FWIW, another data point.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiED ... id=US%3Aen

Before !Joe!, et al. get too excited, note I am making no assertions re likelihood of occurrence.
I got mentioned by name :lol: :lol:

From the same article, this is common and not reason for any alarm.

"Dr. Lindy Jones, the emergency department medical director at the hospital, said the reaction subsided soon after the worker was treated with epinephrine. He said the worker remained enthusiastic that she had received the vaccine and was set to be discharged later on Wednesday.

“She is healthy and she is doing well,” Dr. Jones said."

Joe
it's not a small thing from the standpoint that we're now rolling these things out by the 10s of millions. not 10s of thousands anymore. pile enough of them up, we get a stoppage.

not to mention it emboldens the anti-vaxx crowd and doesn't help for the vaxx-unsure crowd, if they're paying attention.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:49 pm

Before !Joe!, et al. get too excited, note I am making no assertions re likelihood of occurrence.

"Dr. Lindy Jones, the emergency department medical director at the hospital, said the reaction subsided soon after the worker was treated with epinephrine. He said the worker remained enthusiastic that she had received the vaccine and was set to be discharged later on Wednesday.

Joe
it's not a small thing from the standpoint that we're now rolling these things out by the 10s of millions. not 10s of thousands anymore. pile enough of them up, we get a stoppage.

not to mention it emboldens the anti-vaxx crowd and doesn't help for the vaxx-unsure crowd, if they're paying attention.
Is “Got Epi?” going to be the new “Got Milk?”🤔🤔🤪
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:30 pm
holmes435 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:27 pm Huh. And I always thought blow was the weight loss supplement of choice of the Wall Street guys. ;)
That’s exactly how it was. I remember not being able to sleep because I would see model formulas when I closed my eyes. I was basically working around the clock and I wasn’t at a sweatshop. A young guy at DLJMB from south side of Chicago was well into 6 figures in the early 1990’s and he wanted to quit because all he did was work. He said his family thought he was crazy for wanting to quit. I don’t know what became of him. My last DLJMB memory was working on a model and not being able to get the deferred tax to balance and after two days I called up the analyst there and told him it wouldn’t balance.... he said it was hard coded and he didn’t think anyone would notice. I had gotten grief for not getting it to work because, of course, the guys at DLJMB wouldn’t produce a model that didn’t work.
now wife saved me from all that. wasn't gonna live in the city.
have to chuckle at the models. just jerry-rig 'em in! everybody else does!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:03 pm

Joe

i guarantee the epi i've had in my trunk for years has lost some efficacy. still, gotta help some, no?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:13 pm

Joe

i guarantee the epi i've had in my trunk for years has lost some efficacy. still, gotta help some, no?
Maybe.

https://www.empr.com/home/news/fda-exte ... of-epipen/

How hot has your trunk been and for how long?

https://community.kidswithfoodallergies ... pinephrine
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:41 am
ggait wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:16 am
I don’t know much of anything about Wichita State, other than the basketball team.

Baseball team has a strong history.
I do know (but do not know why I know) that Wichita State has a world class program in aviation and aeronautics. Which is a lot more than I knew about UMBC's academic programs.
I didn’t know that. They had a fantastic hoops team in the early 1980’s. One of the best to not win a title. A funny UMBC story, a friend said he was talking to a guy about UMBC and told the guy UMBC stood for you made a bad mistake....the guy told him his daughter went there😂 🦶 in 👄
CHOICE .......not mistake, but choice. U Made a Bad Choice
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Typical Lax Dad

ABV 8.3% wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:32 pm
I don’t know much of anything about Wichita State, other than the basketball team.

I do know (but do not know why I know) that Wichita State has a world class program in aviation and aeronautics. Which is a lot more than I knew about UMBC's academic programs.
I didn’t know that. They had a fantastic hoops team in the early 1980’s. One of the best to not win a title. A funny UMBC story, a friend said he was talking to a guy about UMBC and told the guy UMBC stood for you made a bad mistake....the guy told him his daughter went there😂 🦶 in 👄
That’s right. Brain cramp.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:09 pm
😀 I didn’t have the pedigree to BS it.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:52 pm
indeed. gotta have the right type of b.s.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:32 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:13 pm

Joe

Maybe.

https://www.empr.com/home/news/fda-exte ... of-epipen/

How hot has your trunk been and for how long?

https://community.kidswithfoodallergies ... pinephrine
my wife had always given me "heat" for keeping it in my trunk. while she often would have hers in the cabin as she would forget to tote it to and fro, and inevitably leave it there at times. i don't know how hot the trunk is, but it's gotta be cooler than with all those windows, no?
so it looks like i mighta been right. though i'll never tell her that.
gotta be 40, 60, 75% good.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:09 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:52 pm
indeed. gotta have the right type of b.s.
Yep!!
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Joe

Agreed on the scale, and certainly don't want to encourage anti-vaxxers anymore than they already are!

Joe
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

FDA says Pfizer coronavirus vaccine contains extra doses, expanding nation’s supply
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/p ... story.html

Good news on the vaccine front. 6-7 doses instead of 5 per vial.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:50 pm
ABV 8.3% wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:32 pm

That’s right. Brain cramp.
... UMBC produces very qualified tech industry employees. Hired lots of them, very happy with the quality of their graduates.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”