Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
cdb

Re: Recruiting

Post by cdb »

Both the SEC and Big 10 Commissioners just announced they will not be adding any schools from the ACC involved with court battles -- The ACC Commissioner just told everyone that the league will fight to support the Grant of Rights. SMU wanted to join the ACC and will not receive any media payment from the league for a while -- SMU raised $110 million from its fans to pay for the move to the ACC. Florida State might have difficulty raising the money it needs to get out of the agreement, but I believe Clemson could do it if it wanted to.

But there is another aspect some folks may be forgetting. ESPN recently laid off tons of people -- and there is a lot of talk that they do not see a future for them in broadcasting games that are only of interest to the fans of the two schools involved. ESPN has made it clear it favors the contract it has with the SEC over the ACC and does have the right to terminate the contract in 2027 -- which most expect that will do. But a there are a number of schools who are not profitable in sports despite the bigger payoffs from media. With the addition of NIL and the recent agreement to pay current and former players millions of dollars there is real financial pressure on the football schools. Some media companies think that college football may be supersaturated. So, the media companies will push for the one super league as they will earn much dollars from payouts to the individual schools rather tax supporting a whole league with perhaps 4-6 good teams and rest just so so. If the ACC crashes and the schools do not find a home that will enable them to collect media revenue, colleges may get out of all but intramural sports.

There are lots of possibilities and non one really knows where all of this is going. Going to a league like the Big 12 will be, at best, a temporary fix.

And the think tank folks that work for these companies truly believe that the profitable future lies with women sports. Soccer, Field Hockey, and LAX are attractive because an athlete does not have to be extremely large and tall to play. Of all of these the most interesting sport is WLAX, as it is fun to watch and fan friendly.
njbill

Post by njbill »

We love us our wlax on ESPN (including streaming), but it has always seemed like a pretty clear money loser for them. Every year, I wonder why they keep broadcasting games. I think I want to stick my head in the sand and ignore the issue.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

We wish wlax thought like this - but college football definitely wants and schedules games to fit different windows/time slots. They want games all day Saturday - but also weekday nights. So while the future of the ACC might be ? - non P4 conferences like the Sun Belt should still be valuable (because they can fit in those different windows but not get paid as much). Even on a Saturday, think about every ESPN and Fox and NBC and CBS channel needing a game for the noon, 330ish, prime time, and late night slot- that’s a lot of games and a lot of teams. And the reason why live sports is so valuable is because it’s one thing people watch live - which means commercials can’t be skipped.

In terms of wlax role in all this - I really hope Clemson’s emphasizing it means that their really smart people think the future is bright!
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Deacon022 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:16 pm I agree with both of you. It wasn’t just fun for the girls, the parents seem to have enjoyed it as well. Of all the things I’ve paid for over the years, this was my favorite event I’ve ever gone to. Running into all the girls and parents who played on my daughter’s team over the years now going off to their college teams, it was awesome. They all seemed super excited. I agree with Relax, the games for the most part seemed sloppy but it didn’t seem like anyone including the coaches cared. It was more like a meet and greet. Looking forward to it again next year.
Definitely looking forward to hearing where your girls went in a few years lol. If you all haven't figured it out already :lol: Great event. Anyone going to Placid too?
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

BigRedChant wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:53 am We wish wlax thought like this - but college football definitely wants and schedules games to fit different windows/time slots. They want games all day Saturday - but also weekday nights. So while the future of the ACC might be ? - non P4 conferences like the Sun Belt should still be valuable (because they can fit in those different windows but not get paid as much). Even on a Saturday, think about every ESPN and Fox and NBC and CBS channel needing a game for the noon, 330ish, prime time, and late night slot- that’s a lot of games and a lot of teams. And the reason why live sports is so valuable is because it’s one thing people watch live - which means commercials can’t be skipped.

In terms of wlax role in all this - I really hope Clemson’s emphasizing it means that their really smart people think the future is bright!
People outside of WLax think the future is bright. Unfortunately, the people currently running College WLax at the D1 level are inept. You've identified another way WLax purposely misses out on viewership.
The intern at my company's marketing division could run D1 WLax better than who's in charge right now.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

spidey44 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:49 am
Deacon022 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:16 pm I agree with both of you. It wasn’t just fun for the girls, the parents seem to have enjoyed it as well. Of all the things I’ve paid for over the years, this was my favorite event I’ve ever gone to. Running into all the girls and parents who played on my daughter’s team over the years now going off to their college teams, it was awesome. They all seemed super excited. I agree with Relax, the games for the most part seemed sloppy but it didn’t seem like anyone including the coaches cared. It was more like a meet and greet. Looking forward to it again next year.
Definitely looking forward to hearing where your girls went in a few years lol. If you all haven't figured it out already :lol: Great event. Anyone going to Placid too?
No. We are done for the year. That’ll knock twenty teams off the guessing.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Deacon022 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:01 pm
spidey44 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:49 am
No. We are done for the year. That’ll knock twenty teams off the guessing.
:lol:
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

change is a coming

"To maintain compliance with the federal Title IX law, any scholarship increases in a men’s sport will likely need to be replicated in a women’s sport, driving up the additional costs. But not all programs can afford to add so many additional scholarships. Some administrators are in the process of “tiering” their sports by decreasing investment on certain programs and increasing investment in others. This includes staff and salary cuts as well as the reduction in scholarships from Olympic sports, especially those that generate little to no revenue."

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-ncaa-t ... 00598.html
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

NULax2 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:31 pm change is a coming

"To maintain compliance with the federal Title IX law, any scholarship increases in a men’s sport will likely need to be replicated in a women’s sport, driving up the additional costs. But not all programs can afford to add so many additional scholarships. Some administrators are in the process of “tiering” their sports by decreasing investment on certain programs and increasing investment in others. This includes staff and salary cuts as well as the reduction in scholarships from Olympic sports, especially those that generate little to no revenue."

Let's remember though that this only applies to power 4 schools and that is just a fraction of total women's lax schools

Off the top of my heads, the only schools impacted are

- USC
- Oregon
- Cal
- Michigan
- Stanford
- Ohio State
- Northwestern
- Rutgers
- Penn State
- Duke
- UNC
- Va Tech
- BC
- Cuse
- UVA
- Pitt
- Clemson
- Louisville
- ND
- Maryland
- OSU

Remains to be seen how they will handle power 5 schools who don't play in power conferences (Florida, Vandy, Colorado). And non-power schools who play in power conferences (Hopkins).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the vast, vast, vast majority of schools are running title ix through prong 2. which is growth of opportunities, growth of investment in, growth of allocated resources in the underrepresented gender. so as they're not doing proportionality, increases in men's schollies does not mean replicating it for women's. that's prong 1. otherwise, you wouldn't be seeing $100 million contracts for football coaches and $250 million football facilities without a match for women. and you wouldn't be seeing disproportional spots and schollies year after year. you wouldn't be seeing sec coaches expecting 75+% of the $22 million to go to their team.

however, what i don't see passing the smell test is roster limits. i might be wrong and schools may argue schollies are increasing and (from $0) payouts to women are growing. but they'd be eliminating opportunities, and "growth" would be gone. only dollars up. i don't see it happening to women without a challenge. and i'd be surprised if it's even put on for women.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:11 pm

Let's remember though that this only applies to power 4 schools and that is just a fraction of total women's lax schools

Off the top of my heads, the only schools impacted are

- USC
- Oregon
- Cal
- Michigan
- Stanford
- Ohio State
- Northwestern
- Rutgers
- Penn State
- Duke
- UNC
- Va Tech
- BC
- Cuse
- UVA
- Pitt
- Clemson
- Louisville
- ND
- Maryland
- OSU

Remains to be seen how they will handle power 5 schools who don't play in power conferences (Florida, Vandy, Colorado). And non-power schools who play in power conferences (Hopkins).
I read the attached article - I’m not sure if what you say is true.

Everything I have heard before makes me think this applies to all D1 schools

But maybe you are right
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

however, what i don't see passing the smell test is roster limits. i might be wrong and schools may argue schollies are increasing and (from $0) payouts to women are growing. but they'd be eliminating opportunities, and "growth" would be gone. only dollars up. i don't see it happening to women without a challenge. and i'd be surprised if it's even put on for women.
I know I’m in the minority but I sincerely hope they institute the roster limits in wlax. It was plainly evident after watching some of the games this weekend at HHH (where most of the teams there were top 40 teams) that some of the girls don’t have the ability or skillset to be playing at the D1 level, or at least what maybe D1 was five years ago. It is severely watered down right now. I also don’t believe it would slow the growth, there’s plenty of girls lax in D2 and D3.
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:42 pm
I know I’m in the minority but I sincerely hope they institute the roster limits in wlax. It was plainly evident after watching some of the games this weekend at HHH (where most of the teams there were top 40 teams) that some of the girls don’t have the ability or skillset to be playing at the D1 level, or at least what maybe D1 was five years ago. It is severely watered down right now. I also don’t believe it would slow the growth, there’s plenty of girls lax in D2 and D3.
Didn’t you say that the HHH games were all about having fun and don’t translate to what will happen once they’re at their colleges?
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

BigRedChant wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:18 pm
I read the attached article - I’m not sure if what you say is true.

Everything I have heard before makes me think this applies to all D1 schools

But maybe you are right
I think you're right BigRed. I think they are using P5(P4) schools to make the decision and then rolling it through to the rest of D1. My interpretation from a coach who I spoke to. I could have interpreted incorrectly of course. Wouldn't be the first time, but I think it's for all...
Last edited by spidey44 on Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdb

Post by cdb »

Just read the new increases in scholarship numbers allowed by the NCAA. This seems to affect all schools not just the Power football schools. If the Power leagues are forced via Title Nine to increase scholarships in women's sports in order to keep in compliance with Title 9, the school could choose to de-emphasize certain women's sports and increase others in order to remain compliant. But, if they , choose to keep WLAX, Power schools will be playing against schools with more scholarship athletes than the non Power schools -- it would seem that would force those schools to offer the same number of scholarships in order to remain competitive??????

Helpmeet understand here! Thanks
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

SoCal wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:06 pm
Didn’t you say that the HHH games were all about having fun and don’t translate to what will happen once they’re at their colleges?
Lmao. 🤦🏻‍♂️. Do I really have to answer that, in regards to the point that I made above? Yeah. HHH is all about meeting and greeting your future teammates and having fun. Also, Stony Brook going 0-3 and Syracuse 1-2 doesn’t mean they are going to suck going forward. But there was a large amount of kids that shouldn’t have been on some of those teams.

There were kids who had difficulty catching and throwing the ball under pressure. Couldn’t clear. Trying to run through five people from the defensive zone to the offensive zone and dropping the ball every time. Turning over the ball continuously everytime they touched the ball. At times it looked like youth lacrosse. Some of those kids will never step foot on a field in a meaningful game. Especially since most teams play what, 16-20 kids a game. And I’m not talking about the super athletic kids that don’t have the sick skills yet.

There was 750 kids at this event. Having 125 d1 teams. 40 kids to a team. There isn’t 5000 skilled enough girls to play at that level unless you water it down. Like I’ve said before. What would happen if we made 125 professional baseball teams. How would the product be.
Last edited by Relax77 on Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:32 pm
Lmao. 🤦🏻‍♂️. Do I really have to answer that, in regards to the point that I made above? Yeah. HHH is all about meeting and greeting your future teammates. Stony Brook going 0-3 and Syracuse 1-2 doesn’t mean they are going to suck going forward. HHH Committed has nothing to do with the fact that there was a large amount of kids that shouldn’t have been on some of those teams.

There were kids who had difficulty catching and throwing the ball under pressure. Couldn’t clear. Trying to run through five people from the defensive zone to the offensive zone and dropping the ball every time. Turning over the ball continuously everytime they touched the ball. At times it looked like youth lacrosse. Some of those kids will never step foot on a field in a meaningful game. Especially since most teams play what, 16-20 kids a game. And I’m not talking about the super athletic kids that don’t have the sick skills yet.

There was 750 kids at this event. Having 125 d1 teams. 40 kids to a team. There isn’t 5000 skilled enough girls to play at that level unless you water it down. Like I’ve said before. What would happen if we made 125 professional baseball teams. How would the product be.
125 professional baseball teams is an apples to oranges comparison. We are talking about college lacrosse, yes? How many college baseball teams? That’s your apples to apples to comparison. I’d also argue that most of the young women who play lacrosse in college don’t have aspirations of winning a national championship or playing professional lacrosse and that’s okay. They’re student-athletes. If they’re okay riding the bench then who cares if most rosters are large. Let the top 15ish programs and their fans battle out every year for the best of the best.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

SoCal wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:58 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:32 pm
Lmao. 🤦🏻‍♂️. Do I really have to answer that, in regards to the point that I made above? Yeah. HHH is all about meeting and greeting your future teammates. Stony Brook going 0-3 and Syracuse 1-2 doesn’t mean they are going to suck going forward. HHH Committed has nothing to do with the fact that there was a large amount of kids that shouldn’t have been on some of those teams.

125 professional baseball teams is an apples to oranges comparison. We are talking about college lacrosse, yes? How many college baseball teams? That’s your apples to apples to comparison. I’d also argue that most of the young women who play lacrosse in college don’t have aspirations of winning a national championship or playing professional lacrosse and that’s okay. They’re student-athletes. If they’re okay riding the bench then who cares if most rosters are large. Let the top 15ish programs and their fans battle out every year for the best of the best.
It’s an exaggeration but the point is not apples to oranges. You are watering down the product by having 40 kids a team. And when you get past the 30th ranked team it shows heavily. And it’s not about riding a bench. It’s about they don’t belong there on that level.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

Not sure why insulting young women is informative here. The cool thing about there being so many teams is that you can choose to watch the games you want. As a matter of fact, I would argue that since the only time the top 8ish teams play a good game is against each other - which is not often- we should be appreciative of the amount of college lax teams that do play good games against each other
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

In my opinion, Cap limits would force those top teams to not grab the ten best commits on the board. And that would trickle all the way down. So in theory, teams outside the top 25 would be better because they would have a higher caliber roster. Which was make for better games.
Last edited by Relax77 on Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”