Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
SoCal

Re: Recruiting

Post by SoCal »

I agree that the girls (and their parents) have a lot of fun visiting and catching up with old teammates off the field. But on the field is a different matter - it’s game ON. The 24 and 25 commits and the 26 showcase players are all working hard to impress their future or hopefully future coaches. Some teams didn’t have the best chemistry and you could hear the girls yelling at each other. Other teams seem already well bonded. My daughter’s coach gave equal playing time to all of her commits. Not sure how other schools did it.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

SoCal wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:38 am I agree that the girls (and their parents) have a lot of fun visiting and catching up with old teammates off the field. But on the field is a different matter - it’s game ON. The 24 and 25 commits and the 26 showcase players are all working hard to impress their future or hopefully future coaches. Some teams didn’t have the best chemistry and you could hear the girls yelling at each other. Other teams seem already well bonded. My daughter’s coach gave equal playing time to all of her commits. Not sure how other schools did it.
Equal playing time. I didn’t see any of the yelling from any of the teams I witnessed. For us it was a love fest. In fact, I was laughing to myself because in two years when these girls aren’t getting equal playing time, that’s when the hatchet and the claws will come out. Especially from the psycho parents. 😁
Last edited by Relax77 on Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:02 pm
SoCal wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:38 am I agree that the girls (and their parents) have a lot of fun visiting and catching up with old teammates off the field. But on the field is a different matter - it’s game ON. The 24 and 25 commits and the 26 showcase players are all working hard to impress their future or hopefully future coaches. Some teams didn’t have the best chemistry and you could hear the girls yelling at each other. Other teams seem already well bonded. My daughter’s coach gave equal playing time to all of her commits. Not sure how other schools did it.
Equal playing time. I didn’t see any of the yelling from any of the teams I witnessed. For us it was a love fest. In fact, I was laughing to myself because in two years when these girls aren’t getting equal playing times, that’s when the hatchet and the claws will come out. Especially from the phsycho parents. 😁
It would be a lot more fun if all the other parents weren't so crazy.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

GratefulRed wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:12 pm
Equal playing time. I didn’t see any of the yelling from any of the teams I witnessed. For us it was a love fest. In fact, I was laughing to myself because in two years when these girls aren’t getting equal playing times, that’s when the hatchet and the claws will come out. Especially from the phsycho parents. 😁
No doubt. Some good people. Some strange people. And some straight up nuts. That’s my experience anyway.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:23 pm
No doubt. Some good people. Some strange people. And some straight up nuts. That’s my experience anyway.
Totally. It is amazing how other parents yelling at the refs are crazy, yet my critiques are always insightful and constructive.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

GratefulRed wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:18 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:23 pm
Totally. It is amazing how other parents yelling at the refs are crazy, yet my critiques are always insightful and constructive.
I went to watch my daughter’s future team a couple times this year. We sat in the stands away from most of the parents. We still were able to hear “why isn’t my daughter out there. She’s better than some of the other middies.” “They refuse to pass to her.” “Coach is against my daughter.” Etc etc. it was like I was at my daughter’s high school game. I was told this is common.
301Hayes

Post by 301Hayes »

Deacon022 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:33 pm
I went to watch my daughter’s future team a couple times this year. We sat in the stands away from most of the parents. We still were able to hear “why isn’t my daughter out there. She’s better than some of the other middies.” “They refuse to pass to her.” “Coach is against my daughter.” Etc etc. it was like I was at my daughter’s high school game. I was told this is common.
That is not common in college lax from our experience having multiple kids playing in college for a while now. Something is off about that culture. I’ve never once heard that - I’m sure those conversations happen between 2 parents who are friends, in a private conversation. But to be loud enough to hear it like that? Thats a culture problem and not common - would be shocking to hear on the college teams my kids have played on.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

301Hayes wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:43 pm
That is not common in college lax from our experience having multiple kids playing in college for a while now. Something is off about that culture. I’ve never once heard that - I’m sure those conversations happen between 2 parents who are friends, in a private conversation. But to be loud enough to hear it like that? Thats a culture problem and not common - would be shocking to hear on the college teams my kids have played on.
I've had two kids go through this and I never heard that once. People can talk in private - but never heard anything even remotely like this at a game.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

I don’t know, but the above quotes were from both teams. I guess that’s why they didn’t sit with the other families. I’m glad you guys are saying it’s not common, a few parents told me it was. I guess it’s where you land.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

On my daughter's big ten team, the parents are cliquier than the kids, talking turd about each others, especially in relation to some of the post-game tailgates. Too much Alpha Queen Bee energy. One of the reasons my wife refuses to go to any parent events -- our other daughters are a great excuse to have.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:54 pm
On my daughter's big ten team, the parents are cliquier than the kids, talking turd about each others, especially in relation to some of the post-game tailgates. Too much Alpha Queen Bee energy. One of the reasons my wife refuses to go to any parent events -- our other daughters are a great excuse to have.
Have a feeling the parents that are saying this doesn’t happen are all from the ivies. 😁
spinnersend2

Post by spinnersend2 »

Definitely happens on my daughter’s team. Some times it is warranted other times parents are beyond clueless as to where their child ranks on the pecking order. That said, the girls almost always know and truly have a great bond and chemistry. Any discord is usually parent related and due to comments like mentioned above or about another kids play. We have tried to nip that behavior in the bud but I will always say the dining table can be a players worst coach.
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:26 pm
Have a feeling the parents that are saying this doesn’t happen are all from the ivies. 😁
Are you being sarcastic? Please tell me you’re being sarcastic. I sure hope so bc the Ivy parents are some of the most self inflated folks I’ve ever been around. HHH games had some doozies.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

SoCal wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:08 am
Are you being sarcastic? Please tell me you’re being sarcastic. I sure hope so bc the Ivy parents are some of the most self inflated folks I’ve ever been around. HHH games had some doozies.
Let’s be honest. Nearly ALL parents have an overinflated view of their child’s abilities relative to other players.
Its natural. Ivy parents, ACC parents, BIG10 parents, NESCAC parents etc.

And some subset of those parents (a subset that is completely uncorrelated with what league or team their daughter plays for, lack the common sense or good manners to keep their thoughts to themselves.

We all hear it. I’ve never met any parent of a college lax player that doesn’t have a similar story.

Luckily, MOST parents to a good job of keeping their unproductive (and mostly unrealistic) thoughts to themselves….
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:59 pm
SoCal wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:08 am
Let’s be honest. Nearly ALL parents have an overinflated view of their child’s abilities relative to other players.
Its natural. Ivy parents, ACC parents, BIG10 parents, NESCAC parents etc.

And some subset of those parents (a subset that is completely uncorrelated with what league or team their daughter plays for, lack the common sense or good manners to keep their thoughts to themselves.

We all hear it. I’ve never met any parent of a college lax player that doesn’t have a similar story.

Luckily, MOST parents to a good job of keeping their unproductive (and mostly unrealistic) thoughts to themselves….
I think there is a big difference across schools. One daughter is currently at a lower-level Power 5 school and another at a Patriot league school (usually with 5-10 of each other in the rankings). The difference is night and class in attitude. I think mainly because most of the Patriot league girls picked their school for academics first, even though a good amount of girls (including most starters) had opportunities at a higher-ranked school.

At Pat league school, parents generally like each other and are more focused on team success than that of the individual.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

Just a heads up - there is no more Power 5

Just Power 4 (until the ACC blows up and then ?)
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

:D
BigRedChant wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:40 pm Just a heads up - there is no more Power 5

Just Power 4 (until the ACC blows up and then ?)
So y'all going to the B12 or what?
cdb

Post by cdb »

All the BIG 12 commentators are saying the ACC will break up and many teams will end up in the BIG 12. But why would an ACC team go to a league that pays less -- that is what Clemson and Florida State have been upset about! The Big 12 pays less money than the ACC -- Florida State and Clemson want either the BIG 10 or SEC -- the Big 12 does nothing for them -- Many people are predicting there will one be one super conference at the end -- made up of the best football teams. If so, WLAX may either keep its present leagues for everything besides football or form new leagues, because many of the best college football teams do not put much behind LAX. It will be especially interesting times for teams that do not have lots of money or are struggling -- it will affect everyone because football mostly pays for the non-revenue sports.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

cdb wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:41 pm All the BIG 12 commentators are saying the ACC will break up and many teams will end up in the BIG 12. But why would an ACC team go to a league that pays less -- that is what Clemson and Florida State have been upset about! The Big 12 pays less money than the ACC -- Florida State and Clemson want either the BIG 10 or SEC -- the Big 12 does nothing for them -- Many people are predicting there will one be one super conference at the end -- made up of the best football teams. If so, WLAX may either keep its present leagues for everything besides football or form new leagues, because many of the best college football teams do not put much behind LAX. It will be especially interesting times for teams that do not have lots of money or are struggling -- it will affect everyone because football mostly pays for the non-revenue sports.
Although this has everything to do with football- it does matter to wlax because it explains how Big10, SEC (Florida and Vanderbilt), and, to a lesser extent B12 schools will just have so much more $ to spend than anybody else in the near future,

The reason the ACC is in trouble is because they are stuck with their ESPN TV contract until 2036. The other P3 just renewed their contracts recently - which will result in more $. Football wise- ACC schools that want to win a Championship won’t even be close to the other competitive schools.

This is why some ACC schools want to leave. The rumors about ACC schools possibly going to the B12 don’t just involve more $ but possibly significantly more $ because the B12 is talking about possibly partnering with venture capital.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

cdb wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:41 pm All the BIG 12 commentators are saying the ACC will break up and many teams will end up in the BIG 12. But why would an ACC team go to a league that pays less -- that is what Clemson and Florida State have been upset about! The Big 12 pays less money than the ACC -- Florida State and Clemson want either the BIG 10 or SEC -- the Big 12 does nothing for them -- Many people are predicting there will one be one super conference at the end -- made up of the best football teams. If so, WLAX may either keep its present leagues for everything besides football or form new leagues, because many of the best college football teams do not put much behind LAX. It will be especially interesting times for teams that do not have lots of money or are struggling -- it will affect everyone because football mostly pays for the non-revenue sports.

One thing you're forgetting...
Right now, the Big12 pays less than the ACC. When Clemson and FSU leave, that won't be the case. Add the complexity of Private Equity getting involved with the Big12, and the ACC won't be anywhere close.
ESPN is already negotiating for lower pay for the option period of the media contract with the ACC. The ACC is trying to make up that difference with FSU and Clemson's settlement money. Unfortunately for the ACC, schools like UNC, Louisville, possibly Miami, and others aren't going to stay in the ACC when Clemson and FSU bolt.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”