Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:50 am one of two things occurred- either no one heard it (offensive?), or everyone who heard it knows that i didnt really mean it, so they were just ok with it
Let me know.... if Baltimore is closer, we can meet at the Dome in the summer.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

it's not for me to know... everyone else apparently knows what im thinking. ask them please
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Typical Lax Dad

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:02 am it's not for me to know... everyone else apparently knows what im thinking. ask them please
Let me know what reaction you get..... or I can meet you down there to see for myself.
DMac

Post by DMac »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:14 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:55 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:00 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:01 am
DMac wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:45 pm While I think Andy and his brother exaggerate a whole lot about the racism they experienced growing up, I sure don't see anything wrong with what he's saying here. Think this is another mountain being built from a mole hill.

“They used an expression that southern Italians were called, I believe they were saying southern Italians, Sicilians — I’m half Sicilian — were called, quote-unquote and pardon my language, but I’m just quoting the Times: ‘n----r wops.’ N-word wops, as a derogatory comment,” Cuomo told host Alan Chartock."
https://www.syracuse.com/news/2019/10/n ... rview.html

There was a heavy population of Italians where I grew up and they used wop, daygo, guinea constantly.
Was the norm and no one took offense. Of course that was before we built mountains from mole hills as
much as we do today and people weren't nearly as thin skinned as they are today. Seems to me as if people had a much better sense of humor and didn't make such a big deal out of everything. JMHO.
His use of the N-word was highly inappropriate. If you don’t understand that, then you’re still living in the 1950s (or modern day Alabama).

DocBarrister :roll:
I get it that this is your MO, Doc, but you really have to stop going to these kind of extremes in these kind of discussions. Just a little reminder that I was the one who called you out as the biggest racist, hands down, of anyone on this forum during Her Holiness' run for President. Your distaste for the white man and his ways could not have been made more clear. This is just another shot by you at a white guy that completely misses the mark.
Couple of questions:
Do we all agree that blacks own the N word, made it their own, and are the only ones who are "allowed" to use it? While I don't like it and it makes uncomfortable, I do get it. Just as it's okay for one sailor to call another a squid, an Italian to call another Italian a guinea, Irish folks calling one another Micks, etc, etc, etc.
If we agree that blacks can use the N word, why can't a n-word wop use it too, why can't they own their word too?
(Again, I think Andy and bro highly exaggerate the racism they experienced growing up and if someone called them a n-word wop they likely responded with, "Go phuk yourself you potato pickin' Mick", but you won't get that part from him or bro.)
No, it was not inappropriate, he was quoting what was printed in the NYT, but one word from the quote has been isolated and things are being blown way out of proportion here. Just the facts, ma'am.
I will agree with MDlax, Ffg, and the ever gentlemanly and thoughtful seacoaster's opinions of what I said here and disregard yours.
DocB,
Did you actually take a look at what Cuomo said, how he said it, the context it was said in...you know, his intent?

I'm surprised that you would condemn it (I don't know all the history you and DMac may have) if you've looked at it.

I hadn't been aware of the event, so looked to see for myself.
Maybe I'm truly missing something, but sure looks like an ok, careful, usage in context.
Yes, I did. The fact that even many well-intentioned folks like Cuomo (and DMAC is not well-intentioned in this regard) seemingly don’t understand why the comment was highly inappropriate is quite telling about how far we must still go in eliminating racism (even the unintentional kind) from our daily discourse and interactions. I have had more than a few professional colleagues say something to me that was intended as praise or friendly chat but that was, in essence, clearly based on racist notions of ethnicity. I don’t expect people to be perfect and rarely call people out when they make such mistakes ... and I’m sure I have made similar mistakes.

However, I am not the Governor of New York. He got called out on his mistake, and he should own up to it.

For the well-intentioned among you, it might be time for some introspection. For the non-well-intentioned among you, maybe it’s time to realize that blatant racism is still unseemly, even in the Trump Era.

DocBarrister
No doubt just the thought of spending a week with me would send shivers down your spine, Doc, but if you were ever to do that you would come on here and say, holy schidt, was I ever wrong about DMac! You have no idea whether or not I'm "well intended" in this regard. Further, your unquestionably being the biggest racist on this forum renders your input to nothing more than words to be ignored.
I'd have to imagine a discussion in a mixed ethnicity environment should go something like, "Nice day out there today, eh fellas?" Anything beyond that would undoubtedly amount to some kind of racial slur in your book, intended or unintended. You're too unreasonable, sensitive, and unrealistic to have any kind of sensible discussion with regarding this subject, just aint worth it.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:04 am
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:02 am it's not for me to know... everyone else apparently knows what im thinking. ask them please
Let me know what reaction you get..... or I can meet you down there to see for myself.
ok- it's here: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=383&start=1920#p84826
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Typical Lax Dad

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:19 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:04 am
ok- it's here: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=383&start=1920#p84826
Send me a PM when you head to West 4th, Rucker or the Dome. I probably can find some other spots too if another area is easier to get to. Just want to see the reaction for myself. No big deal. Thanks.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

why? the experiment is already complete. no need for it now.
Typical Lax Dad

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:43 am why? the experiment is already complete. no need for it now.
Just let me know. Good experiments can be duplicated and yield the same result. Scientific method. You are up to it...
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:45 am
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:43 am why? the experiment is already complete. no need for it now.
Just let me know. Good experiments can be duplicated and yield the same result. Scientific method. You are up to it...
ok, meet me there tonight
Typical Lax Dad

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:10 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:45 am
ok, meet me there tonight
I have a dinner meeting tonight. Give me a little heads up and I would be happy to meet you. Not sure where you reside but we could find a place.
Can talk lacrosse afterwards and drink some German beer.
old salt

Post by old salt »

They likewise won't understand the immense offensiveness of those, like Trump, using the word "lynching" to describe a fully judicial process such as impeachment.
Precisely when did "lynching" become a racist trope ?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DMac wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:07 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:14 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:55 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:00 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:01 am
DMac wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:45 pm While I think Andy and his brother exaggerate a whole lot about the racism they experienced growing up, I sure don't see anything wrong with what he's saying here. Think this is another mountain being built from a mole hill.

“They used an expression that southern Italians were called, I believe they were saying southern Italians, Sicilians — I’m half Sicilian — were called, quote-unquote and pardon my language, but I’m just quoting the Times: ‘n----r wops.’ N-word wops, as a derogatory comment,” Cuomo told host Alan Chartock."
https://www.syracuse.com/news/2019/10/n ... rview.html

There was a heavy population of Italians where I grew up and they used wop, daygo, guinea constantly.
Was the norm and no one took offense. Of course that was before we built mountains from mole hills as
much as we do today and people weren't nearly as thin skinned as they are today. Seems to me as if people had a much better sense of humor and didn't make such a big deal out of everything. JMHO.
His use of the N-word was highly inappropriate. If you don’t understand that, then you’re still living in the 1950s (or modern day Alabama).

DocBarrister :roll:
I get it that this is your MO, Doc, but you really have to stop going to these kind of extremes in these kind of discussions. Just a little reminder that I was the one who called you out as the biggest racist, hands down, of anyone on this forum during Her Holiness' run for President. Your distaste for the white man and his ways could not have been made more clear. This is just another shot by you at a white guy that completely misses the mark.
Couple of questions:
Do we all agree that blacks own the N word, made it their own, and are the only ones who are "allowed" to use it? While I don't like it and it makes uncomfortable, I do get it. Just as it's okay for one sailor to call another a squid, an Italian to call another Italian a guinea, Irish folks calling one another Micks, etc, etc, etc.
If we agree that blacks can use the N word, why can't a n-word wop use it too, why can't they own their word too?
(Again, I think Andy and bro highly exaggerate the racism they experienced growing up and if someone called them a n-word wop they likely responded with, "Go phuk yourself you potato pickin' Mick", but you won't get that part from him or bro.)
No, it was not inappropriate, he was quoting what was printed in the NYT, but one word from the quote has been isolated and things are being blown way out of proportion here. Just the facts, ma'am.
I will agree with MDlax, Ffg, and the ever gentlemanly and thoughtful seacoaster's opinions of what I said here and disregard yours.
DocB,
Did you actually take a look at what Cuomo said, how he said it, the context it was said in...you know, his intent?

I'm surprised that you would condemn it (I don't know all the history you and DMac may have) if you've looked at it.

I hadn't been aware of the event, so looked to see for myself.
Maybe I'm truly missing something, but sure looks like an ok, careful, usage in context.
Yes, I did. The fact that even many well-intentioned folks like Cuomo (and DMAC is not well-intentioned in this regard) seemingly don’t understand why the comment was highly inappropriate is quite telling about how far we must still go in eliminating racism (even the unintentional kind) from our daily discourse and interactions. I have had more than a few professional colleagues say something to me that was intended as praise or friendly chat but that was, in essence, clearly based on racist notions of ethnicity. I don’t expect people to be perfect and rarely call people out when they make such mistakes ... and I’m sure I have made similar mistakes.

However, I am not the Governor of New York. He got called out on his mistake, and he should own up to it.

For the well-intentioned among you, it might be time for some introspection. For the non-well-intentioned among you, maybe it’s time to realize that blatant racism is still unseemly, even in the Trump Era.

DocBarrister
No doubt just the thought of spending a week with me would send shivers down your spine, Doc, but if you were ever to do that you would come on here and say, holy schidt, was I ever wrong about DMac! You have no idea whether or not I'm "well intended" in this regard. Further, your unquestionably being the biggest racist on this forum renders your input to nothing more than words to be ignored.
I'd have to imagine a discussion in a mixed ethnicity environment should go something like, "Nice day out there today, eh fellas?" Anything beyond that would undoubtedly amount to some kind of racial slur in your book, intended or unintended. You're too unreasonable, sensitive, and unrealistic to have any kind of sensible discussion with regarding this subject, just aint worth it.
If it will assuage your obviously hurt feelings, any comments of mine directed at “DMac” are not necessarily directed at the individual behind “DMac”. Just as there is more to me than “DocBarrister”, I am certain there is more to you than “DMac”.

Now, could the individual behind “DMac” be even worse than the username? I guess so (I read some of those posts by Wombat), but I’m willing to give you the benefit of the doubt (for now).

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:58 pm
They likewise won't understand the immense offensiveness of those, like Trump, using the word "lynching" to describe a fully judicial process such as impeachment.
Probably not precise but at about this era (1890’s - 1920’s) I would guess lynching became associated with racism. When do you gather it happened?

ChairmanOfTheBoard

here ya go- we are not the same, says elected official: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/201 ... nr-vpx.cnn
Typical Lax Dad

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:04 pm here ya go- we are not the same, says elected official: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/201 ... nr-vpx.cnn
Bill Clinton looks like he has a tan in that clip.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:07 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:04 pm here ya go- we are not the same, says elected official: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/201 ... nr-vpx.cnn
Historically speaking it started from the white man about lynching the white man.

Charles Lynch (1736-1796) was a Virginia planter, politician, and American revolutionary who headed an irregular court in Virginia to punish Loyalist supporters of the British during the American Revolutionary War. The terms "lynching" and "lynch law" are believed to be derived from his name.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:37 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:07 pm
Historically speaking it started from the white man about lynching the white man.

Charles Lynch (1736-1796) was a Virginia planter, politician, and American revolutionary who headed an irregular court in Virginia to punish Loyalist supporters of the British during the American Revolutionary War. The terms "lynching" and "lynch law" are believed to be derived from his name.
Go back and read Old Salt’s query....but thanks for the history lesson....when you can, post some photos of a lynchin’ party thrown by Coloured people.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:52 pm The left was fine with it when (D) Jim McDermot used it insimiliar context. #whackamole

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status ... 21152?s=21

And Harry: https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status ... 23168?s=21

And Kerry: https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status ... 46146?s=21

And Biden: https://www.instagram.com/p/B38Yfg6nWb0 ... 1ywfcx84ke
I didn't look at each example, but the first ones I looked at did use a modifier: "partisan lynching" or "political lynching". The modifier does imply a recognition of the difference. It was nevertheless wrong to do, IMO, an intentional use of a very loaded word to inflame.

Trump used no modifier, nor does he get the benefit of the doubt as not racist himself, nor does Graham in his attempted defense (flat ignoring why the word is so fraught). What Trump's usage does have in common with those examples is the intention to inflame.

Not ok.
Either bunch.

Likewise, Trump has previously mis-used the word "coup", again a totally inappropriate of a very loaded word.

Not ok, either.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:08 am
old salt wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:58 pm
Probably not precise but at about this era (1890’s - 1920’s) I would guess lynching became associated with racism. When do you gather it happened?

So, TLD, why do we think that those on here who are darn reliable Trump 'supporters' or at least 'apologists' would have such difficulty understanding the sensitivities around this word? And when it became so associated specifically with racial terror?

Do they really have no idea about the scale of the reign of terror during Reconstruction, Jim Crow, and thereon???
Could they simply be ignorant of the scale of that period, the orders of magnitude greater, relative to 'lyching' as simply a mob taking action to put someone to death for an accusation in lieu of a judicial proceeding?

Or does it go deeper than mere ignorance?

Return to “POLITICS”