Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Navy 2022

Post by The Orfling »

No loss is fun but this one will be tough to watch on film, I think -- from the two "own goals" (one bad luck, the other poor technique plus bad luck); to the "faceoffs won" that didn't result in a possession; to an "oh-fer" (0-5) on EMO; to getting beat twice with long clears behind the ride. Navy looked a little bit flat for long stretches. MSM's zone was effective -- maybe Navy could have looked for more opportunities in transition but MSM got back quickly. I thought there was one dubious penalty on the late MSM pole goal -- looked like a collision caused just as much by the MSM player's momentum -- but Navy was already behind the eight ball at that point.

Full credit to the Mount for a strong, steady game, and for their tender McGinley's big day in goal and their attacker Giblin with a five spot. I'd like to see Navy scratch and claw for ground balls more and show a bit more of sustained sense of urgency for the entire game -- those things are in their control so I'm optimistic we'll see more of that in Game #2. Go Navy, beat Mercer!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

old salt wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:19 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:17 pm The MSM goalie,
his 1st start,
21 saves.

Large, 6 feet 200 lbs.
Good prep, Academy New Church.

Definitely someone to keep an eye on.
He started 2 games last year, 1 vs Navy & played well then too. He fills up the net at NMCMS.
I just shake my head and wonder how these guys get missed.
A total whiff by the large programs.
He played for Jack Forster at Academy of the New Church, both known commodities.
Oh well, good get for MSM, and this certainly changes the outlook
in the NEC.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

FMUBart wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:27 pm Love the excuses! I guess unlimited "full scholarships" and an extra prep school year are a hindrance :lol: Has Navy ever lost to Mount??!
Oh, I forgot, the Mount must have a bunch of 5th & 6th year grad students, right? :roll:
Navy was 8-0 vs the Mount going into today's game.
molo

Post by molo »

Apparently one of the own goals has made it as a crossover twitter hit.
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Amplo is way out of his league. BTW, Show some respect and stand with your team during the Blue and Gold.

You would think a staff that is making over 500K could get it together. The box was a complete mess, SSDM players staying on the field during offensive sets, broken 10 man rides , slow (no) slides, broken defensive schemes, no adjustments on the F/O and 0-5 Man-Up Goals is really inexcusable.

It seems like all the pieces of the Naval Staff have been replaced under Amplo - so this does clearly fall on Coach Amplo's shoulders, PEROID !

Go Navy, beat Mercer !
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

MSM goalie played well, but that is the concept behind a zone D--force outside shots by negating individual 1v1's. We'll see if the MSM goalie is the next Larry Quinn, or, more likely Navy shot poorly.
old salt

Post by old salt »

2 things can be true at the same time. He may prove to be an outstanding goalie, but there is no question that Navy shot poorly.
The Mount defenders did a good job working the Navy shooters hands. Many of the Mids shots were harassed, rushed, not full speed, un-screened, & at goalie center mass.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

After letting it marinate a bit....

1st Quarter:
~ Nice to see Goers still snagging #10's first goal game ball
~ Tough GB loss when #64 thought shot clock was over but was reset, advantage MSM
~ Subsequent ride was poo
~ 10:31 MSM 1st goal was like a middle school offense, our D fell for it being sucked upfield entirely too high
~ 9:32 F/O just laying stick out after winning in...you must always assume you have a trailer, always.
~ 7:34 #10 stuck ball watching, leaving MSM 32 wide open in middle of field, MSM 32 then gets an assist on their clear.
~ 5:28 MSM, same play as their 1st goal from 10:31 just from the otherside
~ 1:10 #6 Navy missed a beautiful throwback opportunity to #64 when he drew a double, then #12 also missed #64 sitting wide open at 5&5

2nd Quarter
~ 13:59 MSM was having a tough time on our picks. #28 shoots a bomb
~ 13:01 MSM again screws up assignments on pick, #28 missed throw back
~ 11:10 Skip passes will go :)
~ 9:34 #29 double teamed a ton, then just chucks in to the crease (just trying to do too much, understandably)
~ 8:13 #29 with the great feed inside to #10 turned in to a GLF. (#10 will figure it out as the game slows down for him)
~ 3:54 Navy EMO 6 vs 4 was just poo that time

3rd Quarter
~ 15:00 This is just something that erks the hell out me. The way we line up our wings just seems insane. We play the odds of the ball coming our way rather than making every F/O a 3v3 man to man battle. Just strange for college level game.
~ 14:26 MSM goal right down the middle. Could just be luck, but wondering if we are being coached to go put pressure at all costs, and not after settled? Something to keep an eye on.
~ 13:35 missing a goal opportunity on doorstep again. Lets hope no more of those.
~ 13:11 got beat, badly, on the sub game at midline
~ 12:24 Buy our goalie a steak dinner. Our MDD was stretched out too far, leaving middle wide open for a clean shot.
~ 12:06 #10 snags a bigtime GB at midline, gets mugged by to 2-3 MSM players. But for some reason tries to swim out with one hand. Get low, hands on plastic and stick butt, hell put it on your chest of thumb to get the hell outta there.
~ 6:12 another GLF on the doorstep
~ 6:08 #6 needs to add another shot in his arsenal
~ 4:13 MDD still too stretched out towards top and sides of the box for my liking. This leaves skip lanes open and when the backside does not pinch in/support the middle while ball is opposite, it exposes far too much turf for their O to work. Not to mention, we seemed to just slowly move in and out as we were onball/offball. IMO, we should really be moving fast in/out, especially as far out as we were.

Not going to re-watch the 4th.

This was certainly a team loss, we had plenty of opportunities to score goals directly in front of the cage. and gave MSM two. The pulse while at the game, just seemed like "someone else will get us the win" and then that pressure gets even worse as the clock ticks away and you play even tighter. MSM pulse was chill, and frankly it was a win-win matchup, and a trap game for Navy.

For those blaming coaching, certainly...and they'll accept that, it is part of the job description. However, IMO that is just like blaming the refs for a loss, when the players also know they too underperformed. Coaches do not teach missing shots wide open on the crease, they do not teach swim moves to escape a triple team GB possession, ball watching, scoring on oneself, throwing ill-advised passes, laying out the stick.

This is a pivotal moment, for a game that really had zero meaning chasing the PL AQ. Will it hurt RPI to back in with an at-large...sure, but the odds are extremely unlikely anyway. What matters 'most' is league play. I trust the staff will present the outcome in a meaningful way, and I hope they too can be vulnerable in this process.

Mercer ain't no joke, strap up.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

OMG Youth, a "trap game" for a Home opener? Give me a break...the excuses are plain goofy. I can recall you often criticizing RS's lack of offensive adjustments & him getting the blame for stupid, unforced turnovers.

P.S. 9 goals is pathetic..

P.S.S. Advice to Chet-- hire Gravante
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I think Gravante has lifetime security at MSM so not sure even for the resource upgrade he’d make the move.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

He would def leave..would've loved to see him back in Geneva(but that's another story)....
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:54 pm OMG Youth, a "trap game" for a Home opener? Give me a break...the excuses are plain goofy. I can recall you often criticizing RS's lack of offensive adjustments & him getting the blame for stupid, unforced turnovers.

It's still Ricky's fault.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:50 pm Amplo is way out of his league. BTW, Show some respect and stand with your team during the Blue and Gold.

You would think a staff that is making over 500K could get it together. The box was a complete mess, SSDM players staying on the field during offensive sets, broken 10 man rides , slow (no) slides, broken defensive schemes, no adjustments on the F/O and 0-5 Man-Up Goals is really inexcusable.

It seems like all the pieces of the Naval Staff have been replaced under Amplo - so this does clearly fall on Coach Amplo's shoulders, PEROID !

Go Navy, beat Mercer !
uh oh...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bring back Richie!!!!
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:54 pm OMG Youth, a "trap game" for a Home opener? Give me a break... I can recall you often criticizing RS's lack of offensive adjustments & him getting the blame for stupid turnovers. PS 9 goals is pathetic..
Yes, trap game, as noted in my comment that was a win-win for MSM, same exact thing happened vs Jax season opener of 2018. Similarly type games with Vermont - UMBC in 2019, UD in 2020, and MSM again in 2021.

You are exactly correct, I was critical of RS's offense (certainly not the only one either) but you may also remember I was about the only one on these boards (for about 5 years) being optimistic about the slight changes he was implementing game to game, other than you of course who also was in his corner.

A big difference between now and then....the current HC defers to the OC and gives him a ton of rope, whereas that was not the case with JL, then Vasst Parks, and Phipps and the players knew it.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:07 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:54 pm OMG Youth, a "trap game" for a Home opener? Give me a break...the excuses are plain goofy. I can recall you often criticizing RS's lack of offensive adjustments & him getting the blame for stupid, unforced turnovers.

It's still Ricky's fault.
+1
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:34 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:54 pm OMG Youth, a "trap game" for a Home opener? Give me a break... I can recall you often criticizing RS's lack of offensive adjustments & him getting the blame for stupid turnovers. PS 9 goals is pathetic..
Yes, trap game, as noted in my comment that was a win-win for MSM, same exact thing happened vs Jax season opener of 2018. Similarly type games with Vermont - UMBC in 2019, UD in 2020, and MSM again in 2021.

You are exactly correct, I was critical of RS's offense (certainly not the only one either) but you may also remember I was about the only one on these boards (for about 5 years) being optimistic about the slight changes he was implementing game to game, other than you of course who also was in his corner.

A big difference between now and then....the current HC defers to the OC and gives him a ton of rope, whereas that was not the case with JL, then Vasst Parks, and Phipps and the players knew it.
Ain’t that the truth.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

BTW I wonder how many are SIQ today. ;) :lol:
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:08 pm BTW I wonder how many are SIQ today. ;) :lol:
When did you pick up that nomenclature?
“I wish you would!”
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:08 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:08 pm BTW I wonder how many are SIQ today. ;) :lol:
When did you pick up that nomenclature?
Army I assume. It’s SIR at Annapolis.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”