D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I summon @viper
GSP

Post by GSP »

WOW! The IL Preseason B1G Rankings are really brutal!

JHU is 4th in the Conference and is completely shut out in the predicted All-B1G team. Of the 13 players, PSU has 5, MD has 3, OSU has 3, and even Rutgers has 2. JHU and Michigan do not have a single player.

IL claims that B1G coaches feedback was given significant weight.

Not encouraging, but they will have zero effect on the results in May.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

GSP wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:11 am WOW! The IL Preseason B1G Rankings are really brutal!

JHU is 4th in the Conference and is completely shut out in the predicted All-B1G team. Of the 13 players, PSU has 5, MD has 3, OSU has 3, and even Rutgers has 2. JHU and Michigan do not have a single player.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ence/55801

Joey Epstein > Jared Bernhardt

Averaged the same PPG (4.6) but Epstein was better over the second half of the season, including in the two head to head games (11 pts to 6). Bernhardt didn't even lead his own team in points. Guess he gets the nod for seniority.

Also, with all due respect to the Rutgers middie they chose whom I'm sure is a good player but...he had 13 pts last year. Forry Smith had double that. Pretty much every B1G team had middies with significantly more points. Even Rutgers has a few as well. What am I missing?
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I wouldn't give these much thought. Post season awards, sure, but not these.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not that interesting a video but... It's January. Beggars can't be choosers.

VIDEO: http://fanlax.com/fanlax/wp-content/upl ... z6E1tI.mp4
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

admin wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:51 am Not that interesting a video but... It's January. Beggars can't be choosers.

VIDEO: http://fanlax.com/fanlax/wp-content/upl ... z6E1tI.mp4
How normal is it for FOGOs to participate in defensive drills? They've got Narewski going 1-on-1 with O middies. Guess it can't really hurt. When those guys get stuck on D, you'd prefer that they can get through a shift without pooping themselves.

Elsewhere in that video: Murphy beats Colwell and scores, Degnon scores off a dodge before being clobbered in the back, and Petro's inhuman yelping can be heard prominently in the background.
LarryOneTime

Post by LarryOneTime »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:31 am
GSP wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:11 am WOW! The IL Preseason B1G Rankings are really brutal!

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ence/55801

Joey Epstein > Jared Bernhardt

Averaged the same PPG (4.6) but Epstein was better over the second half of the season, including in the two head to head games (11 pts to 6). Bernhardt didn't even lead his own team in points. Guess he gets the nod for seniority.

Also, with all due respect to the Rutgers middie they chose whom I'm sure is a good player but...he had 13 pts last year. Forry Smith had double that. Pretty much every B1G team had middies with significantly more points. Even Rutgers has a few as well. What am I missing?

Epstein is THE best attackman in the country. Other than Bernhardt, he is the best "complete" attackman. Dodge(to feed or score), Feed, Carry, Shoot from 13 yds, finish inside and ride. Some others on this list are one skill dominant, which is fine but if we are talking about "All Conference" I want the best the conference has to offer.
Last edited by LarryOneTime on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:03 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:00 pm Lot of dog whistling. Show me the evidence that qualified legacy applicants are getting rejected in favor of less qualified students from more diverse backgrounds. There are far, FAR too many qualified applicants every year for all of them to get in. Kids of every stripe who deserve to get in, do not. How dare the school actually try to build a qualified student body that looks somewhat like the country the school is in. They're not letting in unqualified students. But they sure were when they were accepting a lot more legacies than they should have.
The school has targeted schools it recruits at, and in practice it does not seek a student body that looks like America. When I was there every single class particularly in the humanities was maybe 10-20 percent if not more composed of kids who went to elite new england boarding schools and nyc private schools which is maybe .01% of American high schools. add in long island and new jersey and that's a good 40-50 percent of the arts and sciences school if not more. It's much higher at ivy league schools. Hopkins is not sending staff to suburban toledo or 500 kid high schools in rural west virginia.
My STEM (we didn't call it back then) TAs did not look like America either, but they were pretty accomplished. And while I do not believe Daniels is deliberately discriminating against legacies, they will feel a disparate impact because their characteristics will be highly correlated with the targets of his discrimination.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

LarryOneTime wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:15 pm Epstein is THE best attackman in the country. Other than Bernhardt, he is the best "complete" attackman.
What skill exactly is Grant Ament deficient in? Michael Sowers? Matt Moore?

Look 73 points as a freshman is terrific - I think Epstein has the potential to be the best offensive player in the country and may very well become that in the next one or two years because of his work ethic and competitiveness but the above 3 are virtual locks for 1st team AA attack - Moore is the only one that could possibly be replaced - only because he has to compete for points with Aitken/Krauss/Laviano and now Shellenberger. Someone else like Teat /Epstein/Bernhardt would have to put up monster numbers to kick one of those off - 100+ point year probably - and as we all know the Cookie Monster holds the Hopkins single season record at 80.

I missed it with all the diversity discussion if someone mentioned it - but add my congrats to Petro for the Tewaaraton Legends award
LarryOneTime

Post by LarryOneTime »

No one said deficient and i agree with your other points. 3 First team AA for sure in addition to moore. But i did say skill dominant. Joey is the closest thing to “complete” and since you asked does Ament/Sowers for example dodge and feed mostly? Basically the same player give or take (provides the same threat for their team) Ever see either one stretch the defense from out top or off the high wing? He has shown the ability to do all things required of a complete attackman in addition to the anility to carry a team in a big games. I respect your points tho. Hard not to agree.
GSP

Post by GSP »

Did you guys arguing the various skills of the attack men miss the last years NCAA's?
A MAJOR factor in UVA's success was the hard work and skill in the riding game by their attack in response to the 20/80 second clock.
Teams cleared at a 70% rate against them! That is a lot of lost possessions in which opponent's attack players became literally a ZERO factor.
In a copycat world, riding will become an essential skill going forward.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

LarryOneTime wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:32 pm No one said deficient and i agree with your other points. 3 First team AA for sure in addition to moore. But i did say skill dominant. Joey is the closest thing to “complete” and since you asked does Ament/Sowers for example dodge and feed mostly? Basically the same player give or take (provides the same threat for their team) Ever see either one stretch the defense from out top or off the high wing? He has shown the ability to do all things required of a complete attackman in addition to the anility to carry a team in a big games. I respect your points tho. Hard not to agree.
IMO, Sowers is the best player in college lacrosse. His dodging is elite. His feeding is elite. He's not a stretch shooter, but he's not someone you leave open from 10 yards out on the wing. He just plays for a completely underwhelming team. Put him on JHU or PSU or MD or ND (or you name it), and he's more dangerous than Ament has been. Again, IMO.

There's just so many great attackmen playing college lacrosse right now. I wouldn't put Moore up with there Ament, Bernhardt, Teat, Gray, or Epstein, though. UVA certainly needs him to stir their drink because their other attack are finishers. Being on a JHU board right now, I'm sure my inclusion of Bernhardt will be met with some harrumphs.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:04 pm Someone else like Teat /Epstein/Bernhardt would have to put up monster numbers to kick one of those off - 100+ point year probably - and as we all know the Cookie Monster holds the Hopkins single season record at 80.

I missed it with all the diversity discussion if someone mentioned it - but add my congrats to Petro for the Tewaaraton Legends award
Jared Bernhardt was 1st team All-American last season. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

LarryOneTime wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:32 pm No one said deficient and i agree with your other points. 3 First team AA for sure in addition to moore. But i did say skill dominant. Joey is the closest thing to “complete” and since you asked does Ament/Sowers for example dodge and feed mostly? Basically the same player give or take (provides the same threat for their team) Ever see either one stretch the defense from out top or off the high wing? He has shown the ability to do all things required of a complete attackman in addition to the anility to carry a team in a big games. I respect your points tho. Hard not to agree.
Jeff Teat can shoot the ball. Not as explosive a dodger but his vision and ability to get shots off is elite.
“I wish you would!”
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Wheels wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:02 pm I wouldn't put Moore up with there Ament, Bernhardt, Teat, Gray, or Epstein, though.
He's the only 40-40 guy on this list besides Gray correct?
He broke Knights single season UVA scoring record as a sophomore
He had 10 goals and 11 assists in the NCAA tournament
Please tell me how more elite he needs to be
If he wants to transfer to Hopkins - I would suggest Hopkins kick a legacy off the admissions list (see what I did there?)
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:50 pm
Wheels wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:02 pm I wouldn't put Moore up with there Ament, Bernhardt, Teat, Gray, or Epstein, though.
If he wants to transfer to Hopkins - I would suggest Hopkins kick a legacy off the admissions list (see what I did there?)
If we're just going by numbers, stop the conversation at Ament. But different systems, different responsibilities, etc.

Let's see what Moore does when he's the focal point of the defense. He's been an attackman for a year. Lars was smart to move him to attack because that's what that offense needed (in the half field).
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:50 pm
Moore is very good, but when looking at his total numbers let us not forget that UVa played 20 games.
Doug Knight put up his 86 pts in 15 games.
Live Free or Die!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:17 pm JHU EMO in 1977: http://fanlax.com/fanlax/wp-content/upl ... wMO33W.mp4
Great clip. Thanks, Matt.

Amazing how the fundamentals still look the same today.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:17 pm JHU EMO in 1977: http://fanlax.com/fanlax/wp-content/upl ... wMO33W.mp4
Where did you find that?
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”