Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by OCanada »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:26 am
OCanada wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:45 am That is what i am thinking bcs you keep posting the same inaccurate crap
Women's soccer didn't win a championship?
Women’s soccer is a D - lll sport. You need to work on your short term memory or start reading better. I said right after your first mention Hopkins has had a strong D -lll program already in place and inherited. Jen has arguably improved. Then you decided to get delusional and start taking shots that are unwarranted but very immature. You keep doing it so it seems your insecurities get assuaged somehow. You consistently try to reframe what someone said to suit your own uninformed narratives
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:35 am
OCanada wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:45 am That is what i am thinking bcs you keep posting the same inaccurate crap
Women’s soccer is a D - lll sport. You need to work on your short term memory or start reading better. I said right after your first mention Hopkins has had a strong D -lll program already in place and inherited. Jen has arguably improved. Then you decided to get delusional and start taking shots that are unwarranted but very immature. You keep doing it so it seems your insecurities get assuaged somehow. You consistently try to reframe what someone said to suit your own uninformed narratives
Projection
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:35 am
Whoah, 16 made a positive positive about women's soccer, with a rejoinder that was, at least to this reader's eye, in reaction to all the doom and gloom that infects the discourse so often on this thread, and specifically addressing the notion that Hopkins' administration is purposefully or neglectfully destroying its sports programs...a championship just won by a sport is relevant, yes?

OC, you responded that women's soccer is DIII and that the AD "inherited" strong DIII programs and "arguably improved them". Are you saying they've improved or not? Just the same? Just not destroying them? If I'm not mistaken, that's the women's soccer program's first national championship.

16 didn't respond.

OC, you then posted "straw man?"

16 responded, "Pavlov".

OC you then said 16 was "posting inaccurate crap"...what was "inaccurate" about his post?

Was it the championship or do you mean his rejoinder about the AD etc?

I don't get it.

I'd understand advocating for some sort of additional support for the DI sports, and specifically the men's program given thread topic, but why not be specific as to what is wanted?

Is it more money?
Higher coaches' salaries?
More technology spending?
Easier admission standards?
More tutors for athletes?

what?

Or is it just you think Petro shouldn't have been dropped?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Mdlax. I have been quite clear that the issue with the previous HC was personal and began w the President wanting to cancel one lax season entirely. He then backtracked on it after asking in a meeting “ who is running this university Petro or me”. I also went through events that followed. I have been very complimentary of Jen. Alana is a different story. I have no intention of repeating it. People either know or don’t. Do you think the President deciding to cancel an entire lacrosse season was wise even as a one off??

2016 had a narrative that was umm not objective. If he sticks to a team focus rather slipping in his straw man and ad hominem comments i could care less. You seem to differ.

One step forward was to dump Grant who was a disaster. and a bad hire. Senior Day was a joke.

As for D-lll programs there are a lot of them. One championship does not mean as a whole they are better. To wit, the administration did nothing with the plans to improve the swimming facilities. How would you decide if overall the programs ate better or not. I believe i said the D-lll programs are arguably better. You disagree? Would you provide your analysis for the D-lll programs before and after the current administration. Factor in Bloomburg financial aid gift.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

OCanada wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:24 am Mdlax. I have been quite clear that the issue with the previous HC was personal and began w the President wanting to cancel one lax season entirely. He then backtracked on it after asking in a meeting “ who is running this university Petro or me”. I also went through events that followed. I have been very complimentary of Jen. Alana is a different story. I have no intention of repeating it. People either know or don’t. Do you think the President deciding to cancel an entire lacrosse season was wise even as a one off??

2016 had a narrative that was umm not objective. If he sticks to a team focus rather slipping in his straw man and ad hominem comments i could care less. You seem to differ.

One step forward was to dump Grant who was a disaster. and a bad hire. Senior Day was a joke.

As for D-lll programs there are a lot of them. One championship does not mean as a whole they are better. To wit, the administration did nothing with the plans to improve the swimming facilities. How would you decide if overall the programs ate better or not. I believe i said the D-lll programs are arguably better. You disagree? Would you provide your analysis for the D-lll programs before and after the current administration. Factor in Bloomburg financial aid gift.
OC, you have no obligation to provide this kind of information to us here, but it certainly makes the board more enjoyable for people like me who are well on the outside looking in.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OC, I know you think you're the center of the world but my post was a sarcastic comment directed toward Sag A. who has, in fact, claimed that Daniels is destroying the entire athletic department. I didn't think that needed to be explained, but here we are.

ANYWAY I believe the schedule is coming out this week, not that there's any mystery about who we're playing but it'll be nice to get official dates.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Well the women's cross country natty run goes on - the women's volleyball team recently went undefeated despite not being able to scrimmage intrasquad - the football team went 10-1 this year. if they are not improved we must have been KILLlING IT before then.

I am a big Petro fan believe it or not. But he had his foibles. The 2013 issue was a straight on S show and it was Not Petros finest hour. I was "in the building" on that one and heard in detail what went on during and after. Bottom line you just can't do stuff like that anymore and this attitude of "it was nothing compared to my day," and blaming Kelton Black's mom is a bunch of shinolah. In the day of Bobby Knight and Paterno it is perhaps appropriate to ask who's in charge of an educational institution.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:41 pm Well the women's cross country natty run goes on - the women's volleyball team recently went undefeated despite not being able to scrimmage intrasquad - the football team went 10-1 this year. if they are not improved we must have been KILLlING IT before then.

I am a big Petro fan believe it or not. But he had his foibles. The 2013 issue was a straight on S show and it was Not Petros finest hour. I was "in the building" on that one and heard in detail what went on during and after. Bottom line you just can't do stuff like that anymore and this attitude of "it was nothing compared to my day," and blaming Kelton Black's mom is a bunch of shinolah. In the day of Bobby Knight and Paterno it is perhaps appropriate to ask who's in charge of an educational institution.
Minimization is not the right strategy in that situation.
I don't agree with cancelling the season though either nor the rolling suspensions.
If they wanted to suspend the players for the first game, they would have lost one game and not tanked the season.
Anyway, the debacle wrecked our consecutive Div I playoff streak, which was historical.
This and other examples are clear indications that Lacrosse is not any kind of a priority for Daniels, nor does he understand the University.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:09 am If they wanted to suspend the players for the first game, they would have lost one game and not tanked the season.
Eh this is very likely not true. Everyone played for the Albany and Loyola games at the end of the year and they still lost both of those, which is what tanked the season. Win EITHER of those two and the Jays make the tournament. The full starting lineup could only muster 4 measly goals at home against Loyola for Homecoming. Pretty sure that game is what convinced the staff to overhaul the offense for 2014.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:09 am This and other examples are clear indications that Lacrosse is not any kind of a priority for Daniels, nor does he understand the University.
It is a clear indication that he doesn't understand your warped view of the university which begins and ends with lacrosse. I think alot more important things cross his desk - or should cross his desk - than what the men's lax team is up to. Look, I see a great deal of value in athletics, probably more than most people. I am a fervent fan of the program - but the days where the men's lacrosse team was the single most important social interaction at the school are simply put - over. Over half the student body is of demographics that is not the one that cares most about lacrosse and likely comprises 95+ percent of this forum. I might wager over half the incoming freshmen have never seen a lacrosse game or held a lacrosse stick. When I moved into Gildersleeve you had to dodge the errant lacrosse balls from all the wanna-bes. That is not the case today. Get over it.

In terms of 2013 - as is most often the case - there was no perfect solution to the issue. The best solution would have been to understand you are not at Alabama or Oklahoma (no matter how hard '06 wishes it were so) and times have changed - do you think it is still a great idea for frats to kidnap pledges and drive them to Marriotsville or wherever and kick them out of the car? - (remember back then there was only the pay phone in the first floor of the dorm) - and not do the things in the first place. Oh but boys will be boys and I walked miles through 10 feet of snow to get back to campus. Yeah whatever.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I do agree with Sag A - I really can't believe I just typed that - in that the rolling suspensions - while a tantalizing prospect for Petro to manipulate the roster - ultimately provided a season long distraction and disruption. One thing I do not know is if Petro had restrictor plates installed on his ability to manipulate the roster - i.e why didn't he suspend 1/3 of the non freshmen against Siena a third against Michigan and a third against UMBC and be done with it? Given that he clearly manipulated the decisions to a degree based upon the opponent - it seems reasonable to think it was in some part undecided who would play and who would sit for any game. And while most think the Friday/Sunday scheduling is a tough deal - it must be difficult as well to sit out and not play for a two week time frame when you are healthy and then step back in like it was nothing.

The shame is that the 2013 team had some decent positives. It was Bassett's best year - the defense only allowed 109 goals - 7.8 pergame. They only surrendered 13 EMO goals won 65% of their face-offs and cleared at 91%. What we wouldn't do for stats approaching any of those. The two issues were simple - it as an uncharacteristically poor shooting Hopkins team and in the 5 losses they often turned the ball over way more than the opponent. They shot 11% against Loyola (only 39% on goal) 20% against Albany, 20% against North Carolina, 21% against Princeton. Of the 4 times during the season they reached 15 or more turnovers - they lost 3 of them - Syracuse/Princeton/Loyola.

In other Hopkins sports related news - the women's field hockey coaching staff - hired in 2017 - just received staff of the year for their region and the 19-4 national champion runner up season
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:44 amThe two issues were simple - it as an uncharacteristically poor shooting Hopkins team and in the 5 losses they often turned the ball over way more than the opponent.
Poor shooting % may have been a somewhat uncharacteristic thing at the time but it sure started a trend...
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:01 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:09 am This and other examples are clear indications that Lacrosse is not any kind of a priority for Daniels, nor does he understand the University.
It is a clear indication that he doesn't understand your warped view of the university which begins and ends with lacrosse. I think alot more important things cross his desk - or should cross his desk - than what the men's lax team is up to. Look, I see a great deal of value in athletics, probably more than most people. I am a fervent fan of the program - but the days where the men's lacrosse team was the single most important social interaction at the school are simply put - over. Over half the student body is of demographics that is not the one that cares most about lacrosse and likely comprises 95+ percent of this forum. I might wager over half the incoming freshmen have never seen a lacrosse game or held a lacrosse stick. When I moved into Gildersleeve you had to dodge the errant lacrosse balls from all the wanna-bes. That is not the case today. Get over it.

In terms of 2013 - as is most often the case - there was no perfect solution to the issue. The best solution would have been to understand you are not at Alabama or Oklahoma (no matter how hard '06 wishes it were so) and times have changed - do you think it is still a great idea for frats to kidnap pledges and drive them to Marriotsville or wherever and kick them out of the car? - (remember back then there was only the pay phone in the first floor of the dorm) - and not do the things in the first place. Oh but boys will be boys and I walked miles through 10 feet of snow to get back to campus. Yeah whatever.
Here's the thing. Lacrosse is a big part of the history and tradition of the University. It used be something special and unique about the place. I just don't think Daniels ever appreciated that. Lots of Universities recognize that sports is a way to get them in the public eye and promote what they are doing to a wide audience. NCAA halftime shows often feature key success stories and programs from the schools participating in the events. Lacrosse was part of the JHU brand and something we were really excellent at. Why tarnish that? Why let it lapse? I just don't think Daniels gets it.

Do I like what he's doing with the Physics and Astronomy Dept. YES!
I give the man props for that.
Don't like him throwing the Alumni under the bus with the legacies (if Harvard can have them, so can we!) and letting Lacrosse tank.

I absolutely do not agree with the hazing rituals and never participated in those things myself, although I was aware of that particular "ritual."
I think the response should have been more along the lines of "what's the least disruptive thing we can do to address the problem," rather than get into a p***ing contest with the HC. That was NOT the way to handle things.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:24 am Mdlax. I have been quite clear that the issue with the previous HC was personal and began w the President wanting to cancel one lax season entirely. He then backtracked on it after asking in a meeting “ who is running this university Petro or me”. I also went through events that followed. I have been very complimentary of Jen. Alana is a different story. I have no intention of repeating it. People either know or don’t. Do you think the President deciding to cancel an entire lacrosse season was wise even as a one off??

First of all, I'm way, way less informed about the Hopkins program than many of the posters on this board, so I'm certainly not going to suggest that I have nearly the insights some of you have. Add to that, that my memory of past events is going to be more hazy about Hop than about a couple of other programs I follow even more closely...yours would likely be sharper.

With that caveat, you didn't answer my question. Are you saying the DIII programs have improved or not? Surely you would know better than I would...16 has subsequently made clear that he was referring to Sag's comments about the AD's destruction of the athletic program, I called it a "reaction to the doom and gloom" that so often appears on this thread...wasn't specific to you, but rather the multiple posters who seem to think all is awful due to the Administration not 'caring'...

You got into a back and forth with '16, just felt you went too far.

But have the DIII programs been succeeding or do you think they are doomed to slip into obscurity?
what's your view? Does "arguably better" mean "better" or does it mean maybe going the other way?

(I'd made some comments several years ago back on LP about Hopkins increasing the pressure on their DIII programs to recruit better and better academic students and this was causing some considerable angst among the DIII coaching staffs (I'd been at a cocktail party with numerous coaches in attendance and listened to them discussing it)...but, according to those coaches, that pressure wasn't being applied in the same way to the DI programs, especially not the men's lax).

Are you really going to say that because they haven't yet spent major capital budget on swimming, Hopkins doesn't care about its sports programs, doesn't support its programs? Listen, my perspective is primarily the Ivies...lots of sports programs, some with excellent facilities, but nearly all of which paid for by capital fundraising within the athletic programs, whether generally or sport-specific...no big media contracts...has swimming done the fundraising necessary? (I have no idea).

You ask about the Bloomberg money...yes, I think that money should ultimately be helpful to Hopkins student-athletes, Hopkins sports programs. It gives them an Ivy-like capacity to meet any and all students' financial needs. And for the D1 programs it gives them a decided advantage over the Ivies and all of their Big 10 and ACC opponents. Big win....or should be.

You say you have specific knowledge of what Daniels wanted to do and said...were you in the room or is this second or third hand? Was this what was being considered in the heat of the moment, then dialed back? Are you sure that such initial reaction wasn't appropriate given the events? I take it that there's considerable difference of opinion as to what is acceptable behavior and what the ramifications should be...but I don't know what exactly happened, have never read a definitive report, just allusions. My own feelings about serious behavioral issues is that schools have long under reacted, swept issues under the rug, and, thus, been vulnerable to worse. I have no opinion about this specific case, just that such is my general frame.

I didn't understand how rolling suspensions were a good or bad idea, versus taking lumps in a shorter process. Was this supposed to send an ongoing message that the situation was very serious or was this supposed to be a lesser penalty than perhaps could have been levied, as in the loss of an entire season for those involved?...and/or for the team as a whole? (That does happen).

So, I can't answer the question as to whether Daniels considering a cancellation of the season was an appropriate response, (maybe it was!) as I don't know the underlying offenses.

Nor would I know whether there was lots of tension between Petro and Daniels as a result...what was clear from an outside observer is that Hopkins' on-field performance, ongoing, was not comparable to what it had been in prior decades...and that there was lots of teeth gnashing that somehow the Administration was to blame, not the coaching staff, not the decisions to go all-in with ER, not the team culture issues, not....

Personally, I think Hopkins should play to its strengths, not grind its teeth on how the past is no longer reality. I think there's lots of success ahead in that frame of mind...I have no opinion as to whether all the right pieces are in place as yet. Watching.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:37 am

Here's the thing. Lacrosse is a big part of the history and tradition of the University. It used be something special and unique about the place. I just don't think Daniels ever appreciated that. Lots of Universities recognize that sports is a way to get them in the public eye and promote what they are doing to a wide audience. NCAA halftime shows often feature key success stories and programs from the schools participating in the events. Lacrosse was part of the JHU brand and something we were really excellent at. Why tarnish that? Why let it lapse? I just don't think Daniels gets it.

Do I like what he's doing with the Physics and Astronomy Dept. YES!
I give the man props for that.
Don't like him throwing the Alumni under the bus with the legacies (if Harvard can have them, so can we!) and letting Lacrosse tank.

I absolutely do not agree with the hazing rituals and never participated in those things myself, although I was aware of that particular "ritual."
I think the response should have been more along the lines of "what's the least disruptive thing we can do to address the problem," rather than get into a p***ing contest with the HC. That was NOT the way to handle things.
Any chance there was a 'takes two to tango' ?

Any chance that Petro thought Men's Lax should get special treatment, he should have full decision power, due to that 'history and tradition'?

And any basis to say, "hey, coach, where you been?"...others knew of these behaviors, apparently a recurring thing, yet not previously "address"ed?

and when you say "letting Lacrosse tank"...what do you think he should have done?
Is it just 'support', pay and extend the contract of the coach who is there as the program "tank"s?
Or should he have told Admissions to relax all pressures on academic backgrounds?
Should he have excused compliance issues with scholarships?

It's not as if he turned down a new, fancy Lacrosse Center, right?

I'm fine with those who think Petro would have/could have righted the trajectory in the subsequent 5 years after his contract wasn't extended...we'll never know.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Here's the thing. Lacrosse is a big part of the history and tradition of the University. It used to be something special and unique about the place. I just don't think Daniels ever appreciated that. Lots of Universities recognize that sports is a way to get them in the public eye and promote what they are doing to a wide audience. NCAA halftime shows often feature key success stories and programs from the schools participating in the events. Lacrosse was a part of the JHU brand and something we were really excellent at. Why tarnish that? Why let it lapse? I just don't think Daniels gets it.
You are correct. Lacrosse was a part of the history, tradition and brand of the university. It's not a brand "pillar" any more.
Check the homepage. What is it pushing?

Civic Engagement, Astronomy Program, Embracing Baltimore City, Diversity and Inclusion, and Women's Soccer.

https://www.jhu.edu/
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:37 am Here's the thing. Lacrosse is a big part of the history and tradition of the University. It used be something special and unique about the place. I just don't think Daniels ever appreciated that. Lots of Universities recognize that sports is a way to get them in the public eye and promote what they are doing to a wide audience. NCAA halftime shows often feature key success stories and programs from the schools participating in the events. Lacrosse was part of the JHU brand and something we were really excellent at. Why tarnish that? Why let it lapse? I just don't think Daniels gets it.
Did I miss a memo or is Homecoming no longer in the spring for lacrosse? Did they tear down Cordish or the Bob Scott statue? Was the brand new scoreboard they installed just a few weeks ago already destroyed? Was the STX partnership or ESPN deal allowed to lapse?

It was only *last year* that the lacrosse team was given special treatment and allowed to return to campus for preseason in early January when every other student had to wait till the end of the month. Your claim that lacrosse is no longer special or unique on campus is a complete and utter fabrication.

As for your point about Harvard and legacies that you keep bringing up, well, 1) Hopkins played lacrosse in 2021 and Harvard didn't, whoops! 2) Harvard doing something is not a reason for anyone else to do it 3) Harvard hasn't won a playoff game in 32 years and has never made a Final Four so not sure why you're concerned about their legacies 4) Legacies in the Hopkins lacrosse program *do* still get preferential treatment if you haven't noticed. Take a look at how many guys on the roster have a parent or grandparent who went to the school and for the record, there's more on the way next year.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:04 am

Here's the thing. Lacrosse is a big part of the history and tradition of the University. It used to be something special and unique about the place. I just don't think Daniels ever appreciated that. Lots of Universities recognize that sports is a way to get them in the public eye and promote what they are doing to a wide audience. NCAA halftime shows often feature key success stories and programs from the schools participating in the events. Lacrosse was a part of the JHU brand and something we were really excellent at. Why tarnish that? Why let it lapse? I just don't think Daniels gets it.
You are correct. Lacrosse was a part of the history, tradition and brand of the university. It's not a brand "pillar" any more.
Check the homepage. What is it pushing?

Civic Engagement, Astronomy Program, Embracing Baltimore City, Diversity and Inclusion, and Women's Soccer.

https://www.jhu.edu/
Sheesh, it's fall and the women's soccer team just won a National Championship...and the cross country team won their 8th...

But even in the fall, a leading story on the first page of "Athletics" is this one: https://hub.jhu.edu/2022/11/11/hopkins- ... sh-center/

a couple of weeks ago and it was the lead story...

I don't know what "brand pillar" means, really, but surely lax hasn't suddenly become irrelevant when talking about the sports program. But win a championship, even just a Big 10 championship, and that story will get play above any others...in the spring/summer...

Also would help if there were stories about lax players being Academic All-Americans, etc...those stories also get attention for the DIII sports.

But sure, we shouldn't expect Hopkins Lacrosse to be on the Baltimore Sun's front page ever again...those days truly are long, long gone. Professional sports displaced that coverage.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:48 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:37 am Here's the thing. Lacrosse is a big part of the history and tradition of the University. It used be something special and unique about the place. I just don't think Daniels ever appreciated that. Lots of Universities recognize that sports is a way to get them in the public eye and promote what they are doing to a wide audience. NCAA halftime shows often feature key success stories and programs from the schools participating in the events. Lacrosse was part of the JHU brand and something we were really excellent at. Why tarnish that? Why let it lapse? I just don't think Daniels gets it.
Did I miss a memo or is Homecoming no longer in the spring for lacrosse? Did they tear down Cordish or the Bob Scott statue? Was the brand new scoreboard they installed just a few weeks ago already destroyed? Was the STX partnership or ESPN deal allowed to lapse?

It was only *last year* that the lacrosse team was given special treatment and allowed to return to campus for preseason in early January when every other student had to wait till the end of the month. Your claim that lacrosse is no longer special or unique on campus is a complete and utter fabrication.

As for your point about Harvard and legacies that you keep bringing up, well, 1) Hopkins played lacrosse in 2021 and Harvard didn't, whoops! 2) Harvard doing something is not a reason for anyone else to do it 3) Harvard hasn't won a playoff game in 32 years and has never made a Final Four so not sure why you're concerned about their legacies 4) Legacies in the Hopkins lacrosse program *do* still get preferential treatment if you haven't noticed. Take a look at how many guys on the roster have a parent or grandparent who went to the school and for the record, there's more on the way next year.
:lol: I quite agree about not worrying about emulating Harvard's lacrosse programs and benefits of legacies... ;)

Seems to me that griping about the Ivies getting more aggressive in recruiting athletes who were also considering lax-powerhouse schools like Hopkins (and thus 'we need to recruit and commit earlier') was a big part of what may have been behind what went awry in the program...

Focus on the positives, not the negatives.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”