Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by 51percentcorn »

nyjay wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:13 pm The increased openness and use of social media is a very welcome change. Under the ancien regime, the roster would get posted when, January? Definitely gives us something to talk about and should make the team/program slightly more relevant and known within the school, Baltimore and lacrosse community as a whole. Probably helps with recruiting as well. Really happy to see it. A much more modern approach. So much for the Bellicheck influence.
I have to admit - I like it. First off, this was pretty well done - the overhead shot of McDonogh etc. Second, for a new coaching staff it would appear to send a good message - even though they weren't our recruits per se - they're ours now and we value them. Keep thinking Butch......

I also supported the Run/Walk 8.6 message by the Hopkins lacrosse team for Black Lives Matter
Mr. F

Post by Mr. F »

cuseman4133 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:47 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:46 am
Also don't think this has been discussed here yet but Steele Stanwick is leaving the women's program. And before someone says it—no he's not switching to the men's team. Don't know where he's headed.
Future VMI head coach Steele Stanwick?!
I think he got a job outside of the Lacrosse industry: real estate
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The 8.6 mile thing was great—a ton of current, former, and future Jays were doing it. Good look for the program. These videos are the work of Matt Lawrence, the athletic department's digital media coordinator.

I suppose I'll use the opportunity to post what I know about the incoming freshman as the team tweets out each of these welcome videos, starting with Ince today. I know a lot more about certain guys than others so some of these posts will likely be pretty sparse while others are detailed. Please feel to chime in. I don't know a whole lot more about Ince than what I just posted a few pages ago and what you can see on his highlight tape. There are some pretty good players he's covering in those clips, including Dom Petro of Boys Latin. His straight-line speed appears to be an asset. Definitely profiles as a wing/transition middie and/or SSDM. His dad is a fairly renowned cardiologist in the Baltimore area who did his residency at Hopkins hospital.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Well then, good job, Matt Lawrence. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the rest of these.

As for Ince, no idea how much he'll contribute, but if you can run and are good off the ground, I think you can help a PM coached team
CU77

Post by CU77 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:50 pm including Dom Petro of Boys Latin.
Dom Petro??? Really?

Amazing name.
Homer

Post by Homer »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:11 pm Of course, we are all free to disagree!
That too is the mark of a great University.
Amen to that, MDlax.

Just to clarify my position: it seemed obvious to me from the context of jhu06's original post that his concern was with (what he perceived as) "taking sides" in the more narrowly ideological sense. I was responding to the apparent suggestion that if that were happening, it would be a "good" thing. My reply was that as a general matter of principle side-taking is not something universities should be engaging in, and I tried to articulate some of the general reasons why that principle exists and why it is important to uphold. I was not commenting on any specific aspect of JHU's response to the present situation.

I agree with you that there is a different, more broadly aspirational sense of "taking sides," in which one can be said to try to be "on the side" of equality or justice or truth or reason. I agree that it may also be important at times to express the institution's sense of commitment to such broadly orienting moral values, most definitely including anti-racism. The precise point where that begins to turn into side-taking of a more objectionable kind, however, is never an easy line to draw. I realize that I am probably much more hawkish than most people when it comes to wanting to err on the side of avoiding even the slightest possible inference of bias.

Appreciate the conversation.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Homer wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:20 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:11 pm Of course, we are all free to disagree!
That too is the mark of a great University.
Amen to that, MDlax.

Just to clarify my position: it seemed obvious to me from the context of jhu06's original post that his concern was with (what he perceived as) "taking sides" in the more narrowly ideological sense. I was responding to the apparent suggestion that if that were happening, it would be a "good" thing. My reply was that as a general matter of principle side-taking is not something universities should be engaging in, and I tried to articulate some of the general reasons why that principle exists and why it is important to uphold. I was not commenting on any specific aspect of JHU's response to the present situation.

I agree with you that there is a different, more broadly aspirational sense of "taking sides," in which one can be said to try to be "on the side" of equality or justice or truth or reason. I agree that it may also be important at times to express the institution's sense of commitment to such broadly orienting moral values, most definitely including anti-racism. The precise point where that begins to turn into side-taking of a more objectionable kind, however, is never an easy line to draw. I realize that I am probably much more hawkish than most people when it comes to wanting to err on the side of avoiding even the slightest possible inference of bias.

Appreciate the conversation.
Me too. All good.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-Good luck to concannon. Like connor reed and many many many others, record books won't show the heart and guile he played with.
-My statement was pretty clear, and the dms are for that. This forum is an oasis of distraction from the nonsense outside of it. If you're the daughter of a police officer reading some of that stuff, what are you thinking the school says and like w the alumni admissions stuff they can say diversity all they want but the bulk of the recruiting efforts are still going to the top 50 n/east private schools 100 or so other private schools (neumman in new orleans/harvard westlake etc) and the kids of foreign ceos instead of insert urban high school in birmingham alabama.
-nice column by quint. Mild shock the $200 gloves or whatever comment got by editors considering how much of ils $ comes from apparel. From the outside as someone who wasn't a great athlete growing up and whose parents had enough but weren't ceo's, when I see the $ some of these articles talk about parents throwing down I just sort of raise an eyebrow at it. $50 pair of cletes for baseball every spring, $40 new baseball pants every other year, the jersey/hat from the $60 rec league fee and a mitt I changed every 6 years got me through 8-9 baseball seasons. I get the kids like these sports, there's value in an easier admission to a Hopkins or whatever, but that's a lot of $$. I have seen the belichik foundation $$$ in action very very very well spent in inner cities but I also saw kids having to practice on parking lots because there's no fields. Baseball has had a misreble time trying to grow in inner cities going back to finding out in the mid 90s a guy named marvin freeman was the only black starting pitcher in the game at the time. The limiting factor for baseball in inner cities and lacrosse is that there are limited scholarships, and the pro game is not generational wealth generating.
-To the diversity angle, school should take a hard look at making Kyle Harrison special assistant to Daniels. You really can't get a better ambassador/public face for the university especially right now. He'd be a huge hit w/alumni, when the school goes out to do things in the community he's got a rich local story. Make it a part time job, but it's better than laura the georgetown law educated dean or those diversity deans from the midwest they hired last week who don't know the community.
-I think the introductions were a subtle way of locking down the kids. Put them on social media/roster, harder for a 18 year old to walk away. I think 15 years ago they used to put out something on the website announcing the 9-10 kids arriving that fall.
https://hopkinssports.com/news/2003/4/2 ... Class.aspx
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Has anyone asked Harrison if he wants to be the "special assistant to Daniels"? Before we take a "hard look" at doing that maybe someone should ask the guy if it's something he's interested in.

Up next on the freshmen rollout is Brendan Grimes: https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 6716739584

I think anyone who follows this thread is already well aware of the kid—our top incoming recruit who in my estimation (and it is only that) should be a starter from day one. His natural spot is on the left wing on attack but the presence of Williams may force PM and Junior to get creative with how these two will be deployed together. Grimes is more than capable of running out of the box, and dodging from up top, as he did often with the U19 last summer. But that's probably not the best way to optimize his talent. At absolute worst, he's a big lefty sniper, a more mobile Fraser/Degnon type. But at best, his game can be considerably more than that. Very willing and able passer, and while he's definitely lefty dominant he's already shown an ability to shoot with both hands on the run and with feet set. The kid is extremely smooth in all of his dodging movements—has a feel for the game you can't teach and can only hope your players have when they arrive on campus. After a back injury cut short his junior high school season, he was completely dominating this spring as a senior before Covid-19. From a size and skill standpoint he looked as ready for college as any Hopkins attackman I've seen coming out of high school and that includes Joey Epstein. Those two should be able to do some damage together for the next 3 years.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

ig glasnost is desperately needed. Thanks to all the football and other tv deals rosemont set up our b1g competitors have the resources for mammoth social media presences. They need to work harder than they have because while penn state is on espn+visible 12 months a year because of football+b1g hoops to a much lesser extent a recruit really only sees hopkins the feb-april window when he's bogged down w/games+classes.

They won't hire harrison because it's smart.

the 2020 freshman class has 8 midfielders, the 2003 class had 7 players. there's a story there and it goes beyond the 8-12 kids they have on the 2020 roster right now from outside the northeast. Petro seemed to have schools he liked getting kids from-culver was a favorite of late. Interesting if Milliman has wells he does a good job drawing from.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

So Teat is not unexpectedly going back to Cornell. But he didn't graduate and had to get a waiver from the Ivy League office. He apparently still needs credits (a la TD). This would appear to leave the other Cornell seniors (Fletcher, Telesco, Duggan, Salvatore, et al), all of whom did graduate, in a different situation and possibly/probably unable to return. So maybe this is good news and there's still hope? A couple of those guys would really fit nicely.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:37 pm So Teat is not unexpectedly going back to Cornell. But he didn't graduate and had to get a waiver from the Ivy League office. He apparently still needs credits (a la TD). This would appear to leave the other Cornell seniors (Fletcher, Telesco, Duggan, Salvatore, et al), all of whom did graduate, in a different situation and possibly/probably unable to return. So maybe this is good news and there's still hope? A couple of those guys would really fit nicely.
At this point I think we should just assume the roster as it is now is what it will be headed into the fall, and if a guy like Duggan unexpectedly happens to end up entering the portal and wants to go to Homewood (I think it unlikely) then that'd be a bonus.

But we've already taken in three transfers, and the roster is enormous. There may not be any money/spots left.

Fernandez, Kirson, and Szuluk have all been officially accepted BTW, from what I've been told. So no 11th hour surprises there.

Teat of course would have been very interesting but as it stands we already have a pretty crowded attack unit which includes at least two lefty wing players.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:43 pm
nyjay wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:37 pm So Teat is not unexpectedly going back to Cornell. But he didn't graduate and had to get a waiver from the Ivy League office. He apparently still needs credits (a la TD). This would appear to leave the other Cornell seniors (Fletcher, Telesco, Duggan, Salvatore, et al), all of whom did graduate, in a different situation and possibly/probably unable to return. So maybe this is good news and there's still hope? A couple of those guys would really fit nicely.
At this point I think we should just assume the roster as it is now is what it will be headed into the fall, and if a guy like Duggan unexpectedly happens to end up entering the portal and wants to go to Homewood (I think it unlikely) then that'd be a bonus.

But we've already taken in three transfers, and the roster is enormous. There may not be any money/spots left.

Fernandez, Kirson, and Szuluk have all been officially accepted BTW, from what I've been told. So no 11th hour surprises there.

Teat of course would have been very interesting but as it stands we already have a pretty crowded attack unit which includes at least two lefty wing players.
Maybe Coach Milliman can just call Tillman and ask him how he navigates all those transfers and new recruits each year.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

If any of those guys want to play a fifth year, it just seems too easy. Yes, all the scholarship money is spoken for, but there are no scholarships in the Ivy anyway, so for these guys it would just be another year like what they've been doing (i.e. a mix of tuition and aid) for four years already.

Yes the roster is large, but everyone's is these days. And I'm not sure it matters all that much (other than, of course, to the guys who really want to see the field and don't). I know all the gnashing of teeth about roster size that's happened on this thread, I just tend to disagree with it.

If you can get a guy who can start, I tend to think you take him. And I'd say Duggan, Telesco, Fletcher and Salvatore all could start for this team in 21. It may be that Milliman doesn't want rentals, but given these guys played for him, they could be useful culture carriers.

Who knows. Probably won't happen, but still think it's possible.
Jhu99

Post by Jhu99 »

Teat back to Cornell for a 5th year
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hopkins lax instagram account is asking for the Top 3 of Hopkins attackmen - Cowan, Wood, O'Neill, Riordan, Piccola, Cook, Thomas, Wittelsberger, Browm if anyone cares
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:47 pm Hopkins lax instagram account is asking for the Top 3 of Hopkins attackmen - Cowan, Wood, O'Neill, Riordan, Piccola, Cook, Thomas, Wittelsberger, Browm if anyone cares
I'll go Thomas, Piccola, and Brown. All from different eras.

Hopefully we can add Epstein to that list someday.
nyjay wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:19 pm If you can get a guy who can start, I tend to think you take him. And I'd say Duggan, Telesco, Fletcher and Salvatore all could start for this team in 21. It may be that Milliman doesn't want rentals, but given these guys played for him, they could be useful culture carriers.
Are those guys good enough to start? Sure, but IMO you have to consider several other factors, including team chemistry. If you noticed, all three of the transfers we've gotten so far have multiple years of eligibility left. Fernandez and Kirson both have 2 while Szuluk has 4. These are guys you can build on, who not only help you immediately but can help grow a culture over time. You don't necessarily get that with the one-year grad-student mercenary parachuting in from another school for a season and then he's gone. For a game-changer like Teat that's a risk you probably have to take but for a lot of other guys the payoff might not be worth rocking the boat. While I certainly hope we are very competitive in 2021—the goal here should be to start thinking about the future longterm. 2022-2023, with Epstein as a senior, Grimes with a year of college under his belt and everyone with a year of experience under the new coaches/system, is when we start getting serious IMO.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Jhu99 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:21 pm Teat back to Cornell for a 5th year
nyjay beat you to the punch by 44 minutes.

Ah, 44. A glorious number that is unequaled, until it becomes 45.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 - Agree completely with your points and I do think - Sowers notwithstanding - PM would prefer not to go the one year rental route and instead take guys with multiple years of eligibility remaining and who can be part of a longer term development of the team. Tried to capture that in the second sentence you quoted. If he hadn't been the coach at Cornell and if these guys hadn't played for him, I wouldn't be making the points that I trying to make. Trying again: I would think that a one year rental of a guy who (1) PM knows, (2) PM knows to be an exemplar of the exactly the kind of culture PM is trying to instill, (3) is good enough to start and (4) fills a position of need, would pretty much be a no-brainer in spite of roster size concerns. And it seems to me like one of those Cornell seniors might fit that bill.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

we're not one or three players away. we're more like 6-10 2-3 middies, 2-3 ssdms 2-3 close d. Only way I'd support a one and done is if the position is of such dire need like ssdm or he thinks the lockerroom is so polluted and he thinks a wise grasshopper could be very helpful.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”