Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
QuickTiger19

Re: Recruiting

Post by QuickTiger19 »

Heard JS indicated he would be retiring from SB when AS graduates high school, essentially to clear the way for her to go wherever she wanted in the recruiting process/so she didn’t feel pressure to play under him.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

QuickTiger19 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:15 pm Heard JS indicated he would be retiring from SB when AS graduates high school, essentially to clear the way for her to go wherever she wanted in the recruiting process/so she didn’t feel pressure to play under him.
Hmmm Never heard that pretty young to retire unless he just wants to take a year or two off and then get back in it
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

I knew Clemson was a close number 2 behind Cuse for Spallina but i can't lie i didn't see this one coming..what i'm gathering is that it was a tie between the two and the tie breaker was the family ties to syracuse that ultimately won out. Perhaps she felt the pressure to commit to Cuse.just speculating here..but she prob had a talk with her dad and he told her to follow her heart and make her own legacy like a coming of age movie type of thing.

Also worth noting..there's been an uptick in notable flips and decommitments the last 2 years after being radio silent for a good part of a decade. Landscape is changing
jff97

Post by jff97 »

njbill wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:37 pm Delaney Lawler didn’t miss. She never played lacrosse in college and never intended to. Exclusively field hockey for five seasons at Ohio State.
Didn't know that. Wonder why she was even included in those rankings. At least on the men's side IL doesn't include the kids who play another sport. Then again ILWomen's coverage is pretty poor so maybe this shouldn't be surprising.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:37 pm I knew Clemson was a close number 2 behind Cuse for Spallina but i can't lie i didn't see this one coming..what i'm gathering is that it was a tie between the two and the tie breaker was the family ties to syracuse that ultimately won out. Perhaps she felt the pressure to commit to Cuse.just speculating here..but she prob had a talk with her dad and he told her to follow her heart and make her own legacy like a coming of age movie type of thing.

Also worth noting..there's been an uptick in notable flips and decommitments the last 2 years after being radio silent for a good part of a decade. Landscape is changing
I think it’s going to become a lot more common.
njbill

Post by njbill »

jff97 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:36 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:37 pm Delaney Lawler didn’t miss. She never played lacrosse in college and never intended to. Exclusively field hockey for five seasons at Ohio State.
Didn't know that. Wonder why she was even included in those rankings. At least on the men's side IL doesn't include the kids who play another sport. Then again ILWomen's coverage is pretty poor so maybe this shouldn't be surprising.
She was an excellent lacrosse player. Among other things, she was a UA AA and played in the senior game in 2019.
timber18888

Post by timber18888 »

jff97 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:02 pm With another round of "recruiting rankings mean nothing" comments, I figured it was a good time to bring back the analysis of done on how the top 100 recruits live up to their rankings. The categories are the same as previous years. To be AA or all-conference you need to be on the actual team, not honorable mention. Starters means you started at least half the team's game (yes I know in lacrosse that starter can be misleading, but I had to draw the line somewhere.) Contributors plays in half the team's games and not just garbage time, from what I can tell.
For the 2019 and 2020 classes since this was the last year of eligibility guaranteed for everyone in the class, I also include the missed category. This just means they didn't see playing time on the field. After that long windup, here is the list along with a few takeaways at the bottom. Asterisks for players who transferred means that's the school that got them in the category.
Multi-time AA: Kasey Choma, #1, Notre Dame
Madison Ahern, #2, Notre Dame
Shaylan Ahearn, #4, Maryland
Hannah Leubecker, #9, Maryland
Jackie Wolak, #15, Notre Dame
Erin Coykendall, #22, Northwestern
Katelyn Mashewske, #30, Syracuse
Emily Nalls, #39, North Carolina
Emily Heller, #45, Florida
Isabella Peterson, OTR, James Madison
Emily Sterling, OTR, Maryland
Sam Thacker, OTR, Denver
AA: Olivia Dirks, #3, Penn State*/North Carolina
Emma Schettig, #5, Maryland*/Notre Dame
Delaney Sweitzer, #8, USC/Syracuse*
Olivia Carner, #23, Duke
Izzy Rohr, #25, Penn
Arden Tierney, #27, Richmond*/Notre Dame
Becky Browndorf, #33, Florida*/Boston College
Cubby Biscardi, OTR, Duke
Lindsey Frank, OTR, Richmond*/Northwestern
Niki Miles, OTR, Penn
All-conference: Sophia DiCenso, #6, Richmond
Kari Buonanno, #11, Princeton
Catherine Flaherty, #13, Maryland/Florida*
Hannah Heller, #18, UMass*/Florida
Blair Pearre, #21, Towson
Bianca Chevarie, #35, Syracuse
Jay Browne, #36, Stanford
Ainsley Thurston, #38, Duke/Queens*
Kiki Shaw, #41, Virginia
Katie Elders, #44, Dartmouth
Melissa Sconone, #47, North Carolina/Hofstra*
Kara Rahaim, #48, Stanford
Olivia Dooley, OTR, USC*/Notre Dame
Nicole Ferrara, OTR, Ohio State
Paige Gunning, OTR, Vanderbilt
Hilary Hoover, OTR, Cornell
Olivia Malamphy, OTR, Boston College/Towson*
Libby May, OTR, Maryland
Caroline Mondiello, OTR, Stanford
Claire Morris, OTR, Ohio State/Fairfield*
Meghan Pickel, OTR, Stony Brook/Adelphi*
Emily Wills, OTR, Loyola
Multi-year starter: Livi Lawton, #10, North Carolina
Kennon Moon, #12 Penn
Ryan Smith, #14, Boston College
Dylan Amonte, #29, Northwestern
Julia Dorsey, #32, North Carolina
Kayla Frank, #37, Virginia Tech
Caroline DeBellis, #42, Duke
Allegra Catalano, #46, Louisville
Anna Ruby, #49, Loyola
Kay Conway, OTR, Duke
Julia Greene, OTR, Stanford*/Boston College
Caitlin McHale, OTR, Bucknell
Lucy Murray, OTR, Dartmouth
Aiden Peduzzi, OTR, Maryland
Alexis Reinhardt, OTR, Cornell
Starter: Jane Hansen, #7, Northwestern
Shelton Sawers, #17, Florida
Lexi Schmalz, #19, Duke
Sophia Taglich, #31, Boston College
Katie Castiello, OTR, Cornell*/Clemson
Sydney Foster, OTR, Loyola/Saint Joseph’s
Meg Hillman, OTR, Loyola
Sloane Murphy, OTR, USC
Bryce Pfundstein, OTR, Johns Hopkins/Ohio State*
Annie Steigerwald, OTR, Michigan/Niagara*
Emma Tilson, OTR, Maryland/Clemson*
Contributor: Nicole Humphrey, #16, North Carolina
Kate Sites, #20, Maryland
Chloe Hunter, #24, Penn
Victoria Hensh, #26, Maryland
Jaime Biskup, OTR, Virginia*/Vanderbilt
Phoebe Day, OTR, Boston College
Jane McAvoy, OTR, Notre Dame
Lianna McDonnell, OTR, Stanford
Katie Shanley, OTR, Northwestern
Kiera Shanley, OTR, Northwestern
Carly Steinlauf, OTR, Johns Hopkins
Missed: Briana Lantuh, #28, North Carolina
Delaney Lawler, #40, Ohio State
Logan Lillie, #43, Northwestern
Amber Bustard, #50, Loyola
Whitney Albert, OTR, Florida
Sophia Antonopoulos, OTR, Maryland
Maddy Balter, OTR, Northwestern
Emma Briger, OTR, Princeton
Georgia Ceanfaglione, OTR, Florida
Hunter Chadwick, OTR, Northwestern
Riley Hoeg, OTR, Virginia
Mary McWright, OTR, Boston College
Ellie Mooney, OTR, Notre Dame
Olivia Navaroli, OTR, Duke
Amy Shohet, OTR, Dartmouth
Lucy Svetec, OTR, Penn
Julia Szynal, OTR, Northwestern
Katie Thompson, OTR, North Carolina
Some takeaways:
-This class's top 100 had 22 All-Americans, easily dwarfing 2018 (11) while falling slightly short of 2017 (25)
-81 players hit at least contributor status, which was slightly more than the 2017 and 2018 class
-However, it doesn't feel like this class had a lot of starpower compared to the previous two classes. Really good players sure, but not someone on the level of a North, Scane, Ortega, Tyrrell, etc.
-The number of transfers jumped from nine through 4 years to 2021 after this year. Definitely a COVID-year by product.
-It's hard to declare a winner in the class. Sure teams like MD and ND got a lot out of it, but that didn't seem to translate on the field. None of the FF teams this year had amazing 2019 classes. Solid sure, and that's maybe what you need to contend year-after-year with a few superstars mixed in.
Hope this sparks some conversation.
Think its fair to say that Coykendall had the best career out of all these players, with Sweitzer/Wolak/Peterson in close second
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

KT needs to becareful here..she's had such a promising start to her coaching career and is staring at a potential HOF career. She needs to calm down. Some people are saying Spallina is out to get her. Reading his daughter's IG post about committing to clemson, it heavily implies JS played a key role in steering her away from Syracuse. that's a fight KT won't win
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

jff97 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:02 pm With another round of "recruiting rankings mean nothing" comments, I figured it was a good time to bring back the analysis of done on how the top 100 recruits live up to their rankings. The categories are the same as previous years. To be AA or all-conference you need to be on the actual team, not honorable mention. Starters means you started at least half the team's game (yes I know in lacrosse that starter can be misleading, but I had to draw the line somewhere.) Contributors plays in half the team's games and not just garbage time, from what I can tell.
For the 2019 and 2020 classes since this was the last year of eligibility guaranteed for everyone in the class, I also include the missed category. This just means they didn't see playing time on the field. After that long windup, here is the list along with a few takeaways at the bottom. Asterisks for players who transferred means that's the school that got them in the category.
Multi-time AA: Kasey Choma, #1, Notre Dame
Madison Ahern, #2, Notre Dame
Shaylan Ahearn, #4, Maryland
Hannah Leubecker, #9, Maryland
Jackie Wolak, #15, Notre Dame
Erin Coykendall, #22, Northwestern
Katelyn Mashewske, #30, Syracuse
Emily Nalls, #39, North Carolina
Emily Heller, #45, Florida
Isabella Peterson, OTR, James Madison
Emily Sterling, OTR, Maryland
Sam Thacker, OTR, Denver
AA: Olivia Dirks, #3, Penn State*/North Carolina
Emma Schettig, #5, Maryland*/Notre Dame
Delaney Sweitzer, #8, USC/Syracuse*
Olivia Carner, #23, Duke
Izzy Rohr, #25, Penn
Arden Tierney, #27, Richmond*/Notre Dame
Becky Browndorf, #33, Florida*/Boston College
Cubby Biscardi, OTR, Duke
Lindsey Frank, OTR, Richmond*/Northwestern
Niki Miles, OTR, Penn
All-conference: Sophia DiCenso, #6, Richmond
Kari Buonanno, #11, Princeton
Catherine Flaherty, #13, Maryland/Florida*
Hannah Heller, #18, UMass*/Florida
Blair Pearre, #21, Towson
Bianca Chevarie, #35, Syracuse
Jay Browne, #36, Stanford
Ainsley Thurston, #38, Duke/Queens*
Kiki Shaw, #41, Virginia
Katie Elders, #44, Dartmouth
Melissa Sconone, #47, North Carolina/Hofstra*
Kara Rahaim, #48, Stanford
Olivia Dooley, OTR, USC*/Notre Dame
Nicole Ferrara, OTR, Ohio State
Paige Gunning, OTR, Vanderbilt
Hilary Hoover, OTR, Cornell
Olivia Malamphy, OTR, Boston College/Towson*
Libby May, OTR, Maryland
Caroline Mondiello, OTR, Stanford
Claire Morris, OTR, Ohio State/Fairfield*
Meghan Pickel, OTR, Stony Brook/Adelphi*
Emily Wills, OTR, Loyola
Multi-year starter: Livi Lawton, #10, North Carolina
Kennon Moon, #12 Penn
Ryan Smith, #14, Boston College
Dylan Amonte, #29, Northwestern
Julia Dorsey, #32, North Carolina
Kayla Frank, #37, Virginia Tech
Caroline DeBellis, #42, Duke
Allegra Catalano, #46, Louisville
Anna Ruby, #49, Loyola
Kay Conway, OTR, Duke
Julia Greene, OTR, Stanford*/Boston College
Caitlin McHale, OTR, Bucknell
Lucy Murray, OTR, Dartmouth
Aiden Peduzzi, OTR, Maryland
Alexis Reinhardt, OTR, Cornell
Starter: Jane Hansen, #7, Northwestern
Shelton Sawers, #17, Florida
Lexi Schmalz, #19, Duke
Sophia Taglich, #31, Boston College
Katie Castiello, OTR, Cornell*/Clemson
Sydney Foster, OTR, Loyola/Saint Joseph’s
Meg Hillman, OTR, Loyola
Sloane Murphy, OTR, USC
Bryce Pfundstein, OTR, Johns Hopkins/Ohio State*
Annie Steigerwald, OTR, Michigan/Niagara*
Emma Tilson, OTR, Maryland/Clemson*
Contributor: Nicole Humphrey, #16, North Carolina
Kate Sites, #20, Maryland
Chloe Hunter, #24, Penn
Victoria Hensh, #26, Maryland
Jaime Biskup, OTR, Virginia*/Vanderbilt
Phoebe Day, OTR, Boston College
Jane McAvoy, OTR, Notre Dame
Lianna McDonnell, OTR, Stanford
Katie Shanley, OTR, Northwestern
Kiera Shanley, OTR, Northwestern
Carly Steinlauf, OTR, Johns Hopkins
Missed: Briana Lantuh, #28, North Carolina
Delaney Lawler, #40, Ohio State
Logan Lillie, #43, Northwestern
Amber Bustard, #50, Loyola
Whitney Albert, OTR, Florida
Sophia Antonopoulos, OTR, Maryland
Maddy Balter, OTR, Northwestern
Emma Briger, OTR, Princeton
Georgia Ceanfaglione, OTR, Florida
Hunter Chadwick, OTR, Northwestern
Riley Hoeg, OTR, Virginia
Mary McWright, OTR, Boston College
Ellie Mooney, OTR, Notre Dame
Olivia Navaroli, OTR, Duke
Amy Shohet, OTR, Dartmouth
Lucy Svetec, OTR, Penn
Julia Szynal, OTR, Northwestern
Katie Thompson, OTR, North Carolina
Some takeaways:
-This class's top 100 had 22 All-Americans, easily dwarfing 2018 (11) while falling slightly short of 2017 (25)
-81 players hit at least contributor status, which was slightly more than the 2017 and 2018 class
-However, it doesn't feel like this class had a lot of starpower compared to the previous two classes. Really good players sure, but not someone on the level of a North, Scane, Ortega, Tyrrell, etc.
-The number of transfers jumped from nine through 4 years to 2021 after this year. Definitely a COVID-year by product.
-It's hard to declare a winner in the class. Sure teams like MD and ND got a lot out of it, but that didn't seem to translate on the field. None of the FF teams this year had amazing 2019 classes. Solid sure, and that's maybe what you need to contend year-after-year with a few superstars mixed in.
Hope this sparks some conversation.
Thanks, again, for doing this!
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

I'll watch this 2026 class very closely for Clemson. They had a stellar 2023 class, then a subpar 2024 class, now a stellar 2025 class. The 2026 class will confirm the direction this program is heading in. Clemson's recruiting is really bad for cold weather schools. It's been shown that most kids want to move south to warmer schools. Unless you're BC, other schools will suffer as a result as we're starting to see with Syracuse. Add in the fancy new facilities and the promise of being a really good program, this is exciting for kids.

We'll see how long this excitement lasts before on-field results either back it up or stain it.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:14 pm I'll watch this 2026 class very closely for Clemson. They had a stellar 2023 class, then a subpar 2024 class, now a stellar 2025 class. The 2026 class will confirm the direction this program is heading in. Clemson's recruiting is really bad for cold weather schools. It's been shown that most kids want to move south to warmer schools. Unless you're BC, other schools will suffer as a result as we're starting to see with Syracuse. Add in the fancy new facilities and the promise of being a really good program, this is exciting for kids.

We'll see how long this excitement lasts before on-field results either back it up or stain it.
I honestly thought they would be different than Florida. I thought it would take some time, but I definitely think with the new rules and the new facility, Clemson in the final four team in 3-4 years and winning one. And that has nothing to do with getting AS. As we have discussed, I’m in the camp of her being overrated. Thanks to AS , I do love the Eisfeld grab. But like we have said , there’s not that many balls to go around. similar to UNC, you can’t bring in all these alpha athletes and expect everybody to get a look. It’s just not gonna happen.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:51 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:14 pm I'll watch this 2026 class very closely for Clemson. They had a stellar 2023 class, then a subpar 2024 class, now a stellar 2025 class. The 2026 class will confirm the direction this program is heading in. Clemson's recruiting is really bad for cold weather schools. It's been shown that most kids want to move south to warmer schools. Unless you're BC, other schools will suffer as a result as we're starting to see with Syracuse. Add in the fancy new facilities and the promise of being a really good program, this is exciting for kids.

I honestly thought they would be different than Florida. Not just a perennial 20 team. I thought it would take some time, but I definitely think with the new rules and the new facility, Clemson in a final four team in 3-4 years and eventually winning one. And that has nothing to do with getting AS. As we have discussed, I’m in the camp of her being overrated as the top pick in the strong 2025 class. I do love the Eisfeld grab. Guess you gotta thank AS for that. But as myself and others have said, there’s not that many balls to go around. Similar to UNC, you can’t bring in all these alpha athletes and expect everybody to get a look. Some will pan out. Some won’t. But everyone isn’t playing. It’s just not gonna happen.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Agreed. I think Clemson's future success will be driven by defense. Some great classes over past couple years, but no elite defenders or middies with elite defensive skills. Can' t see them being pereniell top 10 team without improving D by a lot. reminds me of talent ND has brought in alot. The reason ND hasn't been able to break through (And in past years UVA, Duke) in that they can't get big stops when they need them.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

I honestly thought they would be different than Florida. I thought it would take some time, but I definitely think with the new rules and the new facility, Clemson in the final four team in 3-4 years and winning one. And that has nothing to do with getting AS. As we have discussed, I’m in the camp of her being overrated. Thanks to AS , I do love the Eisfeld grab. But like we have said , there’s not that many balls to go around. similar to UNC, you can’t bring in all these alpha athletes and expect everybody to get a look. It’s just not gonna happen.
Emma P is the stud in that class. She'll be the best out of the group. No idea why she isn't the #1 recruit, but either way, Clemson likely got the true #1 in this class.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Eisfeld switches to Clemson as well. Hear there is one more cuse decomitt coming
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Madlax59 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:44 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:31 pm I am certainly not one of those guys that say I told you so but I do feel total vindication. I told you guys she was going to Clemson. You laughed at me. Not sure what happened but as usual, I was right. 😁
Not to be cynical....but what happened to " Cuse is my dream school and I want to play with my brothers" ?? Funny how SB I(and helping her dad win a natty) isn't even the 2nd choice.
when you say "not to be cynical", that means you're about to be cynical, yay?
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:00 pm

Emma P is the stud in that class. She'll be the best out of the group. No idea why she isn't the #1 recruit, but either way, Clemson likely got the true #1 in this class.
this is true. I think Spallina is a good player but she's slightly regressed compared to her 8th grade and freshman year when she was heralded as the next coming. I think her game is more mature but others in the class have caught up to her and Emma P is definitely number 1 in that class now.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:49 pm

To be fair i'd say Spallina is probably the best feeder in the class. If she is willing to accept that role, Clemson will be good. if we wants 40 goals per season too, then you have the issue with not enough balls to go around.

this is true. I think Spallina is a good player but she's slightly regressed compared to her 8th grade and freshman year when she was heralded as the next coming. I think her game is more mature but others in the class have caught up to her and Emma P is definitely number 1 in that class now.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:49 pm

Uh oh. You’re gonna be in trouble for saying that.
realitychecks

Post by realitychecks »

Interested to know if the situation discussed on the transfer portal thread played into the decomitting
Regardless what a haul for Clemson who already had the best midfielder in Pencek now they add the #1 recruit and top attackman / QB in Spallina and now Eisfeld. Seen a few people mention “there’s only 1 ball” AS is a true QB and best passér in the class will she pull it down and dodge yes it’s depends on D Play her as a feeder she dodges and play her as a dodger she’s feeding. Think these recent moves help recruiting in a large way. It will be interesting to see if there are more flips before signing day. Enjoy the summer

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”