Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
masondixonlax

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by masondixonlax »

HappyHourLax wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:36 pm Tillman gonna have a hard time finding uniform violations…..Army kids are usually pretty well buttoned up 😂 tough match up but I think UMD wins and has a path to the final four as Penn St and Princeton don’t match up well with the Terps.
This is my lacrosse stick. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My lacrosse stick is my best friend
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:46 pm
HappyHourLax wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:36 pm Tillman gonna have a hard time finding uniform violations…..Army kids are usually pretty well buttoned up 😂 tough match up but I think UMD wins and has a path to the final four as Penn St and Princeton don’t match up well with the Terps.
This is my lacrosse stick. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My lacrosse stick is my best friend
Um… that’s the Marines.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Thanks Area for shedding light on OSU nonsense. I spoke to a parent in Baltimore pregame who said much of the same. I’ll hold my breath for any comments from the always so knowledgeable “mouths of lacrosse”. Winning is the best revenge. Army most certainly will be tough but Terp D will be there with or without Zap. Love a home game and if good enough…Annapolis.
molo

Post by molo »

I’ve considered Maryland just a tad below the big three from the ACC most of the season, but the committee must have ignore the Michigan game. The Maryland team I touted is appreciably better than Army West Point, but the offense that shows up yesterday could send them home early.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Army is always a very tough out but I think it's the kind of game Maryland wants. Army's not going to hang a crooked # Maryland's offense can't reach. Michigan put up goals and forced the offense to try and get it all back and that's when they commit turnovers and stop playing within themselves. They don't have any particular matchups on the offensive end that will be very tough if Zaps can't make it back. It'll be manageable. Similar to us, they're not a great shooting team. I think like the Rutgers games, just keep them in front of you, play sound, limit the mistakes, and they should be able to grind this one out. Army is also the 2nd worst clearing team in the tournament and really struggled with that late against Loyola. We're the best. Colletti is a very good FOGO for them but that could be a way to tilt possession adv and build a lead. I doubt it's pretty, it'll be a grind, but I think it's the right kind of opponent.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

From the games I watched, Morin stood out from midfield. He can shoot from distance, so our shorties will have to press out and not let him get his feet set. He did well in both games against Loyola, and against Cornell.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:17 am Army is always a very tough out but I think it's the kind of game Maryland wants. Army's not going to hang a crooked # Maryland's offense can't reach. Michigan put up goals and forced the offense to try and get it all back and that's when they commit turnovers and stop playing within themselves. They don't have any particular matchups on the offensive end that will be very tough if Zaps can't make it back. It'll be manageable. Similar to us, they're not a great shooting team. I think like the Rutgers games, just keep them in front of you, play sound, limit the mistakes, and they should be able to grind this one out. Army is also the 2nd worst clearing team in the tournament and really struggled with that late against Loyola. We're the best. Colletti is a very good FOGO for them but that could be a way to tilt possession adv and build a lead. I doubt it's pretty, it'll be a grind, but I think it's the right kind of opponent.
I just hope Geppert is healed enough to play well - it's pretty clear how critical he is to the faceoff success for Maryland.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:17 am Army is always a very tough out but I think it's the kind of game Maryland wants. Army's not going to hang a crooked # Maryland's offense can't reach. Michigan put up goals and forced the offense to try and get it all back and that's when they commit turnovers and stop playing within themselves. They don't have any particular matchups on the offensive end that will be very tough if Zaps can't make it back. It'll be manageable. Similar to us, they're not a great shooting team. I think like the Rutgers games, just keep them in front of you, play sound, limit the mistakes, and they should be able to grind this one out. Army is also the 2nd worst clearing team in the tournament and really struggled with that late against Loyola. We're the best. Colletti is a very good FOGO for them but that could be a way to tilt possession adv and build a lead. I doubt it's pretty, it'll be a grind, but I think it's the right kind of opponent.
The Rutgers comparison is apt. Army, like Rutgers, lacks scoring depth and has 2 initiators surrounded by complementary scoring pieces. What makes Michigan a match-up nightmare for us is Michigan has 3 dodging, passing, and shooting threats at attack. That's not Army. Coletti has played very well all season, but I don't think Army can do Maryland what Michigan did to Maryland in both games at the face-off spot.

Army's goalie has really stood out. He's really athletic in goal. They have the PL defender of the year in Pilate, and their system is really good. However, outside of the 14-13 win at home over Rutgers in week 2, Army hasn't played a team like Maryland in terms of size, athleticism, and depth. They haven't had to deal with 2 lines of midfield that can threaten a defense all game long.

Ruppel has struggled in games where teams make him move side-to-side. From what I've seen of Army, that's not really their offense. I feel better about Ruppel gobbling up time and room shots from 15 yards than I do about Ruppel stopping 12 yard alley dodge shots. It will be interesting to see who Makar takes in this game, and I'm assuming Zappitello is out still.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Quint can't help himself this week with his writeup for MD: "On Saturday, they once again proved that playing on short rest is not their forte. History bares this out. Maryland has never delivered an A+ performance with a short turnaround. They often crash and burn under a model that requires a full week of prep, practice, scouting, and rest."
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

jff97 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:19 pm Quint can't help himself this week with his writeup for MD: "On Saturday, they once again proved that playing on short rest is not their forte. History bares this out. Maryland has never delivered an A+ performance with a short turnaround. They often crash and burn under a model that requires a full week of prep, practice, scouting, and rest."
I guess if Quint’s correct then Army is in trouble! 😝
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

So 2 national championships and 2 1-goal losses in the national championship over their last 4 championship weekends is crashing and burning. Plus big ten titles in 2017, 2021 and 2022. Qanonint types again!
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

But 2022 doesn't count, because according to Quint they would have lost if the championship game was five minutes longer.

...even though they only gave up one goal in the last 7 minutes, and won by two.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Quint got what he wanted...people talking about Quint... :shock:
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

would love to know the list of teams who do deliver A+ performances on a short turnaround. Yale got smushed by Virginia in the 2019 championship. Duke's been to one championship in the last 10 years and was never close to being competitive with Yale in that game. so it's basically UVA and their two championships? oh wow, that's the same number Maryland has in the last 5 years.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:44 pm But 2022 doesn't count, because according to Quint they would have lost if the championship game was five minutes longer.
Quint and Carc claimed that Tillman told them that, at an accidental meeting at the airport after the game.

But it's nonsense no matter who said it. The Terps were in total control in that game, were up 9-2 with 5 min to go in the 3rd, and then let up a little. Cornell got to 9-6 halfway through Q4, but did not score again until just 36s were left. And they were still down 2. I have no doubt that the Terps would have put up another goal or two if the game went on and they really needed to. But they didn't.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

keno in reno wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:54 pm So 2 national championships and 2 1-goal losses in the national championship over their last 4 championship weekends is crashing and burning. Plus big ten titles in 2017, 2021 and 2022. Qanonint types again!
Unreal... MD fans have won the coveted thin skin award this year, bar none. :roll:
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Says the dude who has multiple posts on here about how much he loves to root against Tillman lol
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

It doesn’t matter because the game is 60 minutes. What if they played 5 fewer minutes? What if they stopped the game after 45 minutes when Maryland was up 9-3? Talk about the game and not hypotheticals. We play 60 minutes and Maryland won the 60 minutes.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

tech37 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:12 am
keno in reno wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:54 pm So 2 national championships and 2 1-goal losses in the national championship over their last 4 championship weekends is crashing and burning. Plus big ten titles in 2017, 2021 and 2022. Qanonint types again!
Unreal... MD fans have won the coveted thin skin award this year, bar none. :roll:
Took a great effort to overtake Rutgers fans after their three-year reign. :lol:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Henpecked wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:56 am
tech37 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:12 am
Took a great effort to overtake Rutgers fans after their three-year reign. :lol:
:D Dude above proves my point

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”