THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Chitown

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by Chitown »

I would think that Ohio State, Penn State, & Maryland will copy the Rutgers offensive scheme from the 2nd Half.

It was quite simple: cross cut middies to the goal when your attackmen have the ball behind the Goal, because the JHU middies won't/can't cover cutting middies, permitting 6-8 foot shots right on top of the Hop Goalie. Unstoppable shots.

On clears, The D shouldn't be throwing the ball to the riding team. No excuse for those bad/dumb passes. I expect that can be rectified.

Our Goalie and Face Off Middie played very well.

Fix it and play with energy, and Ohio State is beatable.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Tied for first in the b1g with 3 games to go and one win getting us into the b1g tournament, 2 perhaps getting us into the ncaa tournament regardless of b1g play and 3 getting us an ncaa home game. I'm filled with Cornell Willis energy and blue jay koolaid this week. Let's go.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

After watching the JHU-RU game and now the PSU-OSU game, you all should feel more confident about your upcoming game with OSU. OSU looks like they have only 2 guys that can win their individual match-ups on offense: Jasinski and Leclaire. OSU doesn't have a size problem anywhere on the field, but they look like they have an athleticism problem, especially on offense. Lots of big, slow guys.

Ignacio held his own against Arceri, though. Will be in a good FOGO match up.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:16 pm After watching the JHU-RU game and now the PSU-OSU game, you all should feel more confident about your upcoming game with OSU. OSU looks like they have only 2 guys that can win their individual match-ups on offense: Jasinski and Leclaire. OSU doesn't have a size problem anywhere on the field, but they look like they have an athleticism problem, especially on offense. Lots of big, slow guys.

Prouty has been terrific lately, no question about it—but it's no small caveat that he's been doing much of it against poles. During this hot stretch he hasn't really faced a strong FOGO, certainly no one of Inacio's caliber. I'm pretty worried about it.

Hopefully the Jays are not like us and are focusing only on the opponent ahead instead of trying to game out the next few weeks. If they start counting wins down the road and considering playoff scenarios then they'll be in for a real treat on Sunday. OSU is desperate for a win. A loss puts them in very, very dangerous territory and they still have Maryland to play after us. We are going to get their best effort of the season. Especially when you consider recent history: We knocked OSU out of the conference tourney last year, which in turn ended their at-large hopes and ended their season. They will be out for revenge. Never like to play against a team with their backs against the wall. Jays have to play that way too—while the 2-0 Big Ten cushion might make things feel a little less urgent for the time being, they really can't afford to lose this one either.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Teams play to win! "Back against the wall" doesn't make you a better team or a bigger threat. Jays must play their best game period. :evil:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Old Lax Fan

Post by Old Lax Fan »

At the end of the game a ref threw down his hat when Marr and a Rutgers lad seemed to be at cross purposes. What was going on there?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Old Lax Fan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:08 am At the end of the game a ref threw down his hat when Marr and a Rutgers lad seemed to be at cross purposes. What was going on there?
It was pretty clear what was going on. The Rutgers poles were beating the shirt out of him and anyone else that had the ball. Just another reason why the N$aa is a joke. A two goal lead, losing teams beating the shirt by slashing and hacking the winning team. Flag down......who cares. Another flag, double dog who cares. Three, four, hats, shoes.....whatever. None of it matters because the stupid rules allow the play to continue until.....well, you should know what stops the play when a flag down. Marr was getting slashed, and slashed hard. The intent is clear.....to cause bodily harm. Same reason why the N$aa allows cross checks, to the head. (rarely locked in b/c of head hits too.....insane) If I were getting slashed like that, I would either grab the Rutgers players stick and hold it, throw a hard pass into his nuts, take a shot with a follow thru to the body or drop the ball and start slashing him, with only one or two seconds left.

Instead, the Refs focus on after goal celebrations, doing the cop like stare downs of BOTH teams huddling.

Also sick of one Ref conversing with a coach while the game is going on, chatting it up on the sidelines...........clearly against the rules as well.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:37 pm There's a lot of criticism going around recently and much of it deserved but watching this game on TV—a beautiful day at Homewood, Homecoming crowd (looked good to me on TV but maybe it was more underwhelming in person), all the alums back, the history and tradition in the air, the band playing, food trucks—there's nothing else quite like it in this sport. If I'm a recruit, seeing all that makes me want to go put on the columbia blue and black. Whoever the coach is, whoever the AD or the president is, I don't see any of that changing anytime soon.

EDIT: Attendance was 4,000—it's certainly been better for a Homecoming game but considering the opponent and how early in the month it was, not really a bad number.

DJ letting Charalambides run right by him on that goal reminded me of when Tinney ran off the field against Maryland two years ago, allowing their middie to waltz into the middle and let one fly from 5 yards out. I thought the defense played well in spurts today—better than the 13 goals would suggest—but all it takes is one dumb mental lapse for it all to come tumbling down. And there was certainly more than one of those. Can't keep happening if they hope to be playing in May.

Zinn took one shot and still had more goals than Baskin, DeSimone, Keogh, Stagnitta combined.

.... and directly responsible for two Rutgers goals. Just sayin …

Congrats to Marr on 100 Gs. No small feat.
Last edited by jhu72 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:37 pm There's a lot of criticism going around recently and much of it deserved but watching this game on TV—a beautiful day at Homewood, Homecoming crowd (looked good to me on TV but maybe it was more underwhelming in person), all the alums back, the history and tradition in the air, the band playing, food trucks—there's nothing else quite like it in this sport. If I'm a recruit, seeing all that makes me want to go put on the columbia blue and black. Whoever the coach is, whoever the AD or the president is, I don't see any of that changing anytime soon.

EDIT: Attendance was 4,000—it's certainly been better for a Homecoming game but considering the opponent and how early in the month it was, not really a bad number.
For me it is looking at the TV side of the crowd. At well attended games, that side of the field is packed and it is SRO along the fence. In this case, at least the far side sections were completely empty and it was very sparse to almost empty through the rest of the stands. I get it is Rutgers but it was homecoming and man, not well attended in my view. Maybe alums were drinking their sorrows away at the Islander.

Of course, Hopkins only has one more home game (still don't understand why we are playing two straight games up in Happy Valley), which is on a Sunday night due to B1G obligations. Sure would have been nice to have a later homecoming, even if only by a week.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Comments on the game.

- good grief what a terrible defensive performance in the 2nd half. I still think Rutgers has cutters wide open on the crease. Can't really blame Darby for that - maybe he should get one on luck but the defense left him hanging out to dry. Hopkins was ball watching the entire 3rd and 4th quarter on defense. And their switching on cutters was pathetic.

- why wasn't there a thought to maybe switch up the defense. maybe a zone. Maybe have defenders work through the picks.
- where were the counter moves to Rutgers halftime adjustments. Defense looked clueless out there.
- why don't more SSDM get runs? Jones and hubler were clearly gassed in the 4th quarter. It is only going to get worse as the temperature goes up.
- Why Chamblaise(sic) decided to drive to the goal rather than wait for a cutter is beyond me. He doesn't drive to get that 14th goal. There is no doubt a cutter would have gotten open. But, instead he drives and losses the ball.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

44 shy of 4K.......pathetic for a Homecoming crowd on a nice day. Guess two thousand kiddies decided to head to College Park instead, which had over 6K in attendance.

Don't know who 72 is blaming for two goals, but the unnecessary over cerebral defense that HOpkins plays is to blame. 10 of Rutgers 13 goals were assisted. Any pressure on Mullins hands? Exactly. (it's TOO risky to poke check the the ball carrier is behind GLE :roll: )
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:22 am - why don't more SSDM get runs? Jones and hubler were clearly gassed in the 4th quarter. It is only going to get worse as the temperature goes up.
McManus got a bunch of run. DiPietro got one shift and promptly failed to pick up a GB and then took a bad penalty. Didn't see him for the rest of the game. The fact of the matter is there aren't many options to play at the position outside of Jones and Hubler. That, of course, is its own problem.
jhu72 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:16 am .... and directly responsible for two Rutgers goals. Just sayin ...
Have you counted how many goals the other middies are responsible for, or do you only pick on one? I've got some highlights to show you if you'd like to see how many goals some of them are "directly responsible for." This is what happens when you have offensive midfielders playing so much defense.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:16 am

DJ letting Charalambides run right by him on that goal reminded me of when Tinney ran off the field against Maryland two years ago, allowing their middie to waltz into the middle and let one fly from 5 yards out. I thought the defense played well in spurts today—better than the 13 goals would suggest—but all it takes is one dumb mental lapse for it all to come tumbling down. And there was certainly more than one of those. Can't keep happening if they hope to be playing in May.

Zinn took one shot and still had more goals than Baskin, DeSimone, Keogh, Stagnitta combined.

You're blaming Zinn? Sorry, but Rapine passed his guy off to him when he didn't need to. (for goal # 6)

Full game is on youtube for those that don't record them. I suggest you watch it 72....in slow motion.......

Like I asked, any stick EVAH touch Mullins on his 6 helpers? exactly.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:16 pm After watching the JHU-RU game and now the PSU-OSU game, you all should feel more confident about your upcoming game with OSU. OSU looks like they have only 2 guys that can win their individual match-ups on offense: Jasinski and Leclaire. OSU doesn't have a size problem anywhere on the field, but they look like they have an athleticism problem, especially on offense. Lots of big, slow guys.

Though the thought of Leclaire getting his hands free anywhere inside 15 yards is terrifying. Need to stop the outside shots.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

On the foirst goal, he actually plays the man coming around from X pretty well, guy just makes a great shot. It happens. Second one is definitely on Rapine (or the "system"). There is absoutely no reason to switch on that.

The idea od Zinn getting more run at SSDM is intriguing, assuming he could hold up defensively. He would be a one-man clear and would be devastating in transition.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:56 am

You're blaming Zinn? Sorry, but Rapine passed his guy off to him when he didn't need to. (for goal # 6)

Full game is on youtube for those that don't record them. I suggest you watch it 72....in slow motion.......

I've seen the game multiple times. Zinn does not play good defense and his defensive problem is not one of size or athleticism, it is one of bad decision making. Everybody likes to pick on the small guys (been going on for years and years, for being small), but they at least are using their brains. There is no mystery as to why Dave plays a Dolente type or a other small middie on defense, when he has a larger more athletic guy sitting.

Looking at the film - RAPINE MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE, ZINN DID NOT. ZINN DID NOT RECOGNIZE THE PLAY (cross through), RAPINE DID. Further I would bet any amount of money you can afford to lose, that knowing Rutger's tendency to run that play, Petro made it and its defense a point of emphasis last week. This is not complicated.

Zinn is a really good offensive middie, good on faceoff wing - he is as of today a total liability on defense! He will get better, but this nonsense, about he scores more goals than the others take shots IS NOT THE WHOLE STORY!

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Others disagree on the pass off (Hopkins playing "bookends" in the crease?)

Notice you haven't addressed the other 9 assisted goals and who's fault they might be? Picking on a singular player is such a DocBarrister move. Unless, you are him. hmmmm..........we wonder?
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:32 pm Rutgers has a kid who could play 7 years. If he's not getting a law/med/phd degree, time to move on man.
How many years did it take Boland to play his 4? :roll:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:11 am

I've seen the game multiple times. Zinn does not play good defense and his defensive problem is not one of size or athleticism, it is one of bad decision making. Everybody likes to pick on the small guys (been going on for years and years, for being small), but they at least are using their brains. There is no mystery as to why Dave plays a Dolente type or a other small middie on defense, when he has a larger more athletic guy sitting.

Looking at the film - RAPINE MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE, ZINN DID NOT. ZINN DID NOT RECOGNIZE THE PLAY (cross through), RAPINE DID. Further I would bet any amount of money you can afford to lose, that knowing Rutger's tendency to run that play, Petro made it and its defense a point of emphasis last week. This is not complicated.

Zinn is a really good offensive middie, good on faceoff wing - he is as of today a total liability on defense! He will get better, but this nonsense, about he scores more goals than the others take shots IS NOT THE WHOLE STORY!

Man anything to apologize for the coaches. The staff, which never makes any mistakes ever, has some really good PR people here. Ever think about why we have so many offensive middies playing defense in the first place? Why does Hopkins seemingly always have O guys stuck on D—a lot more often than the teams they play? That Zinn's fault too?

Every year seems like the curmudgeon crew picks one or two guys as a scapegoat. Apparently this year it's a freshman offensive middie who is being asked to play a lot of defense. And he still has twice as many goals as one of the starting first-line middies.

72, I assume if I comb through your posts I'll find all the times you pointed out Baskin, Keogh, and Concannon getting roasted on defense, right?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:46 am
jhu72 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:11 am

Man anything to apologize for the coaches. The staff, which never makes any mistakes ever, has some really good PR people here. Ever think about why we have so many offensive middies playing defense in the first place? Why does Hopkins seemingly always have O guys stuck on D—a lot more often than the teams they play? That Zinn's fault too?

Every year seems like the curmudgeon crew picks one or two guys as a scapegoat. Apparently this year it's a freshman offensive middie who is being asked to play a lot of defense. And he still has twice as many goals as one of the starting first-line middies.

72, I assume if I comb through your posts I'll find all the times you pointed out Baskin, Keogh, and Concannon getting roasted on defense, right?

No, you won't find that. Because you don't find people praising those guys out the wahzoo and making ridiculous claims for them. I am not scape goating Zinn. It's called a fact. The guy is having trouble with his defense. He would be better if he played more. If you look back a dozen pages or so you will find where I call for exactly that. I also called for the other freshman middies getting more time to sharpen their skills -- ALL OF THIS AT THE COST OF GIVING UP ON THE 2019 SEASON, in hopes of building a much better 2020 team. Giving them more time will not make the 2019 team better. Dave's choice is clearly to be the best the team can be this year. He is playing guys who work best within the system -- NOW. TODAY.

Petro's defensive scheme has been dumbed down compared to a decade ago. Is it still too complicated? I thought we are now getting smarter kids / players thanks to Daniels. The switch on a cross through is not a difficult concept. Even our new smarter recruits should not have trouble with this. Players of Petro's in the past were able to grasp the concept and execute it and win games and championships. Petro may have some problems, coaching defense isn't one of them. Talk about scapegoats. :roll:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”