The Independent State Legislature Doctrine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
seacoaster

Re: SCOTUS

Post by seacoaster »

dislaxxic wrote:Kavanaugh’s Court begins its inevitable power grab with Kisor v. Wilkie

Comments from the barrister crowd?

Just a huge and pretty abstruse topic, Dis. Here is an article -- a primer -- on the Court's deference jurisprudence:

https://www.americanbar.org/publication ... _doctrine/

These guys -- Kavanaugh, Gorsuch, Thomas -- would probably tell you that they are not unreasonably hostile to the administrative state or the bureaucracies placed in charge of stuff like the environment, as such. What they are hostile to, they might say, is the disconnect between the regulator (say, the EPA) and the words of the democratically elected body whose job it is to fashion the laws. "Deference" doctrines like Chevron and Auer and Seminole Rock allow the bureaucracies to perform functions and fill in blanks spaces that, frankly, Congress may never have considered, doesn't have time to consider, could never reach legislative consensus on, etc. So the decline of deference will mean a Costanza-like shrinkage of the administrative and regulatory state -- because we know, don't we? that Congress is unlikely to step up its game.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Not my area of interest or expertise by anyone's stretched imagination.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Racial gerrymandering walking uip the courthouse steps again:

http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/12/virgi ... g-dispute/
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

RGB votes against Trump from her bed at MSKCC. Up the Republic!
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

I suspect the COOO has one of his staffers preparing the CONDOLENCE tweet he'll send later today to Justice Ginsburg's bereaved family. No malice intended.He's simply hastening the inevitable. MSKCC needs the bed and Gorsuch et.al. are eager to fill her seat.(Can't keep Judge Moore waiting).
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

The SCO's investigation finally gets to the SCOTUS:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/22/politics ... index.html

Smell money laundering? A Trump Organization middle-conduit for washing up? W.T.F.?
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Alfa Bank? They had their server communicating with Trump Tower and Spectrum Health. (De Vos/ Erik Prince)
One of the ME sovereign wealth banks?
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

seacoaster wrote:The SCO's investigation finally gets to the SCOTUS:

Smell money laundering? A Trump Organization middle-conduit for washing up? W.T.F.?
Not sure if this is the same case, but I thought I read or heard online, that one of the 3 Russian entities Mueller indicted, called his bluff and hired an American law firm to argue the case on their behalf and the SCO has not been dragging their feet. Maybe the Russians are saying, if you got something, prove it?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote:
seacoaster wrote:The SCO's investigation finally gets to the SCOTUS:

Not sure if this is the same case, but I thought I read or heard online, that one of the 3 Russian entities Mueller indicted, called his bluff and hired an American law firm to argue the case on their behalf and the SCO has not been dragging their feet. Maybe the Russians are saying, if you got something, prove it?
What would make you think it is a “bluff” and that Mueller wouldn’t have a very detailed proof of crime??

Money laundering is a very paper intensive crime, digital trail.

In every other case Mueller has brought, he’s presented overwhelming evidence .

Is it perhaps that you think it would look bad for Trump, and thus you’re hoping Mueller can’t convict Russians???
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I intentionally used the word "MAYBE", that is not a concrete work. If the story I noted is true, and if we know the indicted Russians will never stand trial, then why would a Russian intentionally get legally involved with SCO's claims? Pray tell...?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote:I intentionally used the word "MAYBE", that is not a concrete work. If the story I noted is true, and if we know the indicted Russians will never stand trial, then why would a Russian intentionally get legally involved with SCO's claims? Pray tell...?
You didn’t say Mueller maybe bluffing. You implied that he is in fact bluffing.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
youthathletics wrote:I intentionally used the word "MAYBE", that is not a concrete work. If the story I noted is true, and if we know the indicted Russians will never stand trial, then why would a Russian intentionally get legally involved with SCO's claims? Pray tell...?
Wrong, maybe the Russians are saying this, which is why they would challenge him.
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
Wrong, maybe the Russians are saying this, which is why they would challenge him.
That may be what you meant but not what your words indicate. Btw, being subpoenaed doesn’t mean the Russian comp au is being charged. Could be a “witness”. Just giving you a hard time
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
Perhaps you just misspoke in the sentence prior to the “maybe”. No such qualifier in the initial statement as if fact or your clear opinion.

You haven’t actually responded to my post re Mueller and his pattern of presenting overwhelming evidence of crime. And this would be a very paper intensive proof of crime, digital trail.

As to why a Russian bank or oligarch might contest the charge, knowing that the only real jeopardy would be sanctions not criminal time, it might well been to have done discovery of value to the Putin support of Trump. Mueller has been playing his cards very close to his vest and this may have been an attempt to force some out before Mueller wanted. Of course, Mueller may have anticipated that and be just fine with that evidence coming out.

Time will tell.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I do not doubt that Mueller is doing everything in his command to be as detailed as possible. Having said that, it does not make one guilty as indicted, just because it came from Mueller.
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote:I do not doubt that Mueller is doing everything in his command to be as detailed as possible. Having said that, it does not make one guilty as indicted, just because it came from Mueller.
Nope, and guys like Mueller are super aware of that. Which is indeed why he presents overwhelming proof in each case.

My point isn’t that anyone is ‘guilty’ before actually tried, it’s just that if Mueller’s demonstrated pattern both through out his career and in each indictment so far ac SC, is the best predictor of future, we can fairly assume that he wouldn’t have indicted if he didn’t have an overwhelming paper and digital trail of proof.

Not a “bluff”!
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I don't think he'd be issuing subpoenas on the indicted Russians. I think this is fact-finding in connection with another matter. I'd like to think it was a subpoena seeking documents and information that might connect the Trump Organization to Russian dirty money. The press releases and stories say a "foreign government-owned company" is the target of the subpoena. A banking company acting as a conduit between the Trump Organization and Russian "lenders," owned/controlled by the government of Liechtenstein? Luxembourg? Cyprus? Eric probably knows a little about this one.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

What Goes Around Comes to a Halt

"For the young female law students who can’t understand why they are still bothering with law school, the sexual assault survivors still traumatized by the events of the fall, the millions of victims wondering whether it will ever be worth it to report abuse by the powerful, and everyone else who is still reeling at what all happened in September, this public corroboration that the federal judicial branch has no mechanism to police the federal judicial branch is just another bruise on a still-open wound. In September, horrified Americans heard from Senate Republicans that Ford’s testimony was not all that serious and so there would be no consequences. This week, they heard that the conduct alleged was “serious” and also that there would be no consequences. The lesson is depressingly clear: When you are powerful enough, what goes around eventually doesn’t come around. It just goes away."

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Trinity wrote:Alfa Bank? They had their server communicating with Trump Tower and Spectrum Health. (De Vos/ Erik Prince)
One of the ME sovereign wealth banks?

sanctimonious BS from the pretend liberals. HSBC bank st0ck still owned by the billionare club? exactly.

And....who exactly DID manage the "frozen" Iranian bank assets all those years? You know, the money that Obama gave back to them?

Money laundering? Isn't that what arm sales to Saudi house is? Can I get a pppllllllleeeeeeaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzeeee just stop it.

TAATS deny all you want

https://www.businessinsider.com/hezboll ... ks-2016-10

and

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... il-102004/

not a single bank executive charged with a crime (similar to wells fargo, no) gee, whose administration was in charge at this time icon_puke icon_puke

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/opin ... rists.html

it's only the hypocrites. I don't ski with guys who can't ski hard, why do YOU
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Another OT crease dive game winner.........

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... or-victims

Anyone know what ever happened to this decision? The money?

Ooppss......the Supremes forced the only veto override of the Obama administration. Not sure what Iranian money has to do with the 9/11 victims being able to sue and this tho ;)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Someone needs to get back on their meds.

Fatty, Trinity was speculatively answering the question about which foreign company may be under subpoena, under seal, in the Mueller investigation and prosecution. He just offered a reasonable guess in a string of such speculations.

We'll likely eventually know.

Personally, I've got a bit of a hunch that Wilbur Ross' Cyprus bank will eventually come into the picture too. But Alpha Bank is a pretty good guess.

Return to “POLITICS”