Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Turnandrake

Re: Navy 2022

Post by Turnandrake »

13-7 upenn @half I believe. Upenn attackman #40 and #26 navy had no answers for them.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

2nd quarter Penn came out with 3 EMO Goals.

Stopped counting after 3rd quarter when it was 19-8.

Navy was rotating their bench regularly, Penn not as much, even had BJ rotating between LSM and SSDM through 3-4 quarters.

Noticed a few players missing on Navy and not dressed, and some likely muscling through after on the yard screeners.

Had to leave early in 4th quarters...so not sure where the score ended, but it was clear both sides were getting minutes for everyone.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Navy’s offense not much on settled O. Not a lot of
Ball movement. Lot of garbage goals on rebounds.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Good Luck to all the 1C MIDS today on their Service Selection.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:12 pm Good Luck to all the 1C MIDS today on their Service Selection.

~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

It will be a good year for a Lax Club in Pensacola
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

this is awesome. i coached ryan chase in high school. he's a great kid. super excited to see him accomplishing awesome things!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:52 am It will be a good year for a Lax Club in Pensacola
Word on the street is they did pretty well last weekend in a 7v7 tournament.
~Livy

gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Question. Regardless of the result, was the turnout for the Penn scrimmage at Severn pretty good?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:44 pm Question. Regardless of the result, was the turnout for the Penn scrimmage at Severn pretty good?
Standing room only. Both bleachers packed, even the south side endzone crowded.
~Livy

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:56 am
old salt wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:10 am
FannOLax wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:12 am Watching a bit of the Navy at Notre Dame football game yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Navy's quarterback was Xavier Arline, who played HS lacrosse on Long Island with the son of a friend. Sure enough, early in the 2nd half, NBC's announcers picked up on the lacrosse angle, showed a HS pic of Xavier in lacrosse garb, talked about Shoreham Wading River HS's lacrosse successes. Then, during a break in the football action, they showed the younger NBC announcer with a lacrosse stick, claiming and demonstrating how throwing a lacrosse ball is like a QB throwing a football, saying that lacrosse is a terrific secondary or complementary sport. Previously on FanLax, I'd complained how Carc and his ESPN buddies over-emphasized college lax players' other HS sports, so it was nice to see big-time college football announcers giving a shout-out to lacrosse. Arline had committed to UNC Tar Heel lacrosse, but overall the Annapolis football offer was better for him, and I can certainly understand and appreciate his choice to go to the Naval Academy.
That was cool. The announcer was future NFL hall of fame QB Drew Brees. He also said lax is his favorite crossover sport & that he's encouraging his kids to play lax. The other announcer was Mike Tirico (Syracuse '88) who was obviously well informed on LI lax.

Given the apparent extent of the injury to Navy's starting QB, it looks like Xavier is the starter again. Navy now heads into the softer portion of their toughest season sched in the modern era. They host ECU this week then play at Temple before the finale vs Army.

This will be Xavier's chance to seize the starting position, or not. As a spread QB in HS, he is still struggling with taking the snap from under center, making the reads necessary to run the triple offense & being a drop back passing QB. He has yet to show the passing ability of a FBS QB.

Things are in flux for Navy FB. These last 3 games will likely determine the future of this Navy coaching staff & if they depart, whether Navy continues to run the triple option.

These last 3 games might bring some clarity. It was hoped that Xavier would become the next Malcom Perry but he has yet to play behind an OL that generates the necessary openings. 3 of the last 4 seasons, Navy's offense has been dysfunctional. Everything has to work in sync to generate the opportunity for Xavier to use his Perry-like explosive open field running ability. We've seen flashes, but not often enough to build a game plan around him.

Navy FB plays much of the same tough sched in '22, before the 3 top AAC teams jump to the Big 12 in '23 or '24.
It's approaching post-season decision time for Xavier. Does he stick with FB or give lax a shot this spring.
Whatever he chooses, I hope he gets the opportunity to fulfill his awesome potential.
As a Navy fan...I hope for two things (i) they lose all their remaining game if they dig their heels in with the TO and little passing or (ii) they go down swinging by increasing their playbook with more passing.

By comparison Army gains over 100 more yards in passing, twice the yards/pass, over 100 more yards total offense per game, more than twice the touchdowns, which accounts for more than 700 additional yards of total offense. In a game of inches.

And if XA is comfortable in a spread....then improvise, adapt, and overcome. This is the same damned problem we had with Navy MLAX...shoe horning talented players into a downhill and die offense, hoping we could beat the damned clock before the game gets away form us.
XA out, TL in, vs ECU.
Two TD’s in a little over a qtr, both passing. And the long pass set up the first score.

TD3- I power run through the A, in a spot where they threw two passes in the red zone. Making progress.
~Livy

Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

2-8 progress :lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
old salt

Post by old salt »

??? what happened to jr OLB #57. Stand out through last wk. Started vs ND. Still listed #1 on depth chart.
Did not play this wk. No longer listed on roster.
VONL on radio call said he's no longer part of the program.

He was a lax recruit. I wonder if he's switching sports again ? ...openings at DM.
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
https://navysports.com/sports/mens-lacr ... dges/17666

This loss was significant. This staff might have survived with a 5-7 finish & a N*. ...not so sure any more.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Drcthru wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:22 am 2-8 progress :lol:
Progress in passing.....baby steps Drcthru, baby steps. :lol:
~Livy

NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

old salt wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:10 am
FannOLax wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:12 am Watching a bit of the Navy at Notre Dame football game yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Navy's quarterback was Xavier Arline, who played HS lacrosse on Long Island with the son of a friend. Sure enough, early in the 2nd half, NBC's announcers picked up on the lacrosse angle, showed a HS pic of Xavier in lacrosse garb, talked about Shoreham Wading River HS's lacrosse successes. Then, during a break in the football action, they showed the younger NBC announcer with a lacrosse stick, claiming and demonstrating how throwing a lacrosse ball is like a QB throwing a football, saying that lacrosse is a terrific secondary or complementary sport. Previously on FanLax, I'd complained how Carc and his ESPN buddies over-emphasized college lax players' other HS sports, so it was nice to see big-time college football announcers giving a shout-out to lacrosse. Arline had committed to UNC Tar Heel lacrosse, but overall the Annapolis football offer was better for him, and I can certainly understand and appreciate his choice to go to the Naval Academy.
That was cool. The announcer was future NFL hall of fame QB Drew Brees. He also said lax is his favorite crossover sport & that he's encouraging his kids to play lax. The other announcer was Mike Tirico (Syracuse '88) who was obviously well informed on LI lax.

Given the apparent extent of the injury to Navy's starting QB, it looks like Xavier is the starter again. Navy now heads into the softer portion of their toughest season sched in the modern era. They host ECU this week then play at Temple before the finale vs Army.

This will be Xavier's chance to seize the starting position, or not. As a spread QB in HS, he is still struggling with taking the snap from under center, making the reads necessary to run the triple offense & being a drop back passing QB. He has yet to show the passing ability of a FBS QB.

Things are in flux for Navy FB. These last 3 games will likely determine the future of this Navy coaching staff & if they depart, whether Navy continues to run the triple option.

These last 3 games might bring some clarity. It was hoped that Xavier would become the next Malcom Perry but he has yet to play behind an OL that generates the necessary openings. 3 of the last 4 seasons, Navy's offense has been dysfunctional. Everything has to work in sync to generate the opportunity for Xavier to use his Perry-like explosive open field running ability. We've seen flashes, but not often enough to build a game plan around him.

Navy FB plays much of the same tough sched in '22, before the 3 top AAC teams jump to the Big 12 in '23 or '24.
It's approaching post-season decision time for Xavier. Does he stick with FB or give lax a shot this spring.
Whatever he chooses, I hope he gets the opportunity to fulfill his awesome potential.
The way that Tai Lavatai is playing, I don't see Arline getting much QB time for Navy football. When I have watched him, he does not seem competent to be the QB in a TO scheme. He has not improved in the games I have been able to watch. I'm not knowledgeable of all the Navy QB's on the team, but I find it hard to believe that XA is #2 on the depth chart among all the others. I do not think he would, or should, get much playing time as the Navy QB.
My recommendation for Xavier would be to concentrate on a lacrosse career. I believe he would have three seasons of eligibility. From what I've read on this forum he is highly skilled as a lax player and his lack of size is not a detriment to his effectiveness.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Maryland is so proud to be the home of the Naval Academy in beautiful Annapolis. It’s really special to have the most prestigious military academy on the beautiful Severn River. As a UMD grad I’m really proud of the amazing schools in our state. UMD, Hopkins, USNA and Georgetown (I include Georgetown as Md donated the land and DC is embedded in Md), Loyola, Towson, UMBC. That’s a lacrosse league all by itself all within 40 miles.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Capital Gazette tweet
West Point cadets attempting to nab the U.S. Naval Academy’s mascot ahead of the annual Army-Navy football game ended up grabbing a different goat, according to a report. @NavalAcademy @WestPoint_USMA
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:03 am Capital Gazette tweet
West Point cadets attempting to nab the U.S. Naval Academy’s mascot ahead of the annual Army-Navy football game ended up grabbing a different goat, according to a report. @NavalAcademy @WestPoint_USMA
The funny part is they stole a retired goat with only one horn...Funny thread: https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/14 ... 18863?s=20

~Livy

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Still two weeks off,

but I’ll throw my hat in now for,

Go Navy, Beat Army !!

The best football game of the year, every year.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”