Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by OCanada »

Steel Hop. Back in the day you could not get scholarship money for lax and play a division lll sport. WhT I don’t recall is whether simply playing lax would prevent you also playing D lll sports. I don’t think it did. I could also be very wrong
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Tech. I know. I have been saying it for years. We are not alone in it
tech37

Post by tech37 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:13 pm Tech. I know. I have been saying it for years. We are not alone in it
HNY OC!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:21 pm I suspect this wouldn't be HOF level in the '90's and '2000's, but most positions chock a block with 1st and 2nd team AA's at some point in their careers.
If you call Denihan and Haugen children of the 90's as they played 3 seasons in years with a 9 as the third digit. then you could get to an entire starting 10 as 1st team AAs - you would also switch out Carcaterra for Kessenich probably.
If you have to stay technical - then the 90's is at 8 with Marchant as a 4x AA but not a 1st at middie and Dave Marr or Dudley Dixon are your other 90's AAs at attack.

In the 00's - staying technical with graduation year brings Denihan into the fold but after Barrie in '03 Hopkins has not had a 1st team AA at attack since. Benson and Byrne were highly recognized players. Mid-field is covered in spades - I guess if you have to have Haugen in the 00s that means leaving Donegar off the mid-field who is a 2x 1st team AA. Defense has Garvey and Evans as the 1st teamers.

In the 10's the only 1st team AA's are Kimmel, Dolente, Ranagan, Durkin and Tinney
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Catching up on a few things from over the holidays...
jhu06 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:13 pm 10 keys to returning to ff
1. Finding an all big 10 caliber goalie.
2. Connor Disimone returning to form.
3. 2 quality ssdm
4. Replacement for Foley
5. reinson ability to replace kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhn.
6. stronger start
7. replacement for marr
8. maximizing zinn
9. minimizing offensive zone penalties. marr, williams, epstein had 15 last year.
10. gbs.
Agree with all of these except #9—Marr was responsible for a lot of those and he's gone. With a few boneheaded exceptions, penalties on the attackmen generally mean they're riding hard. I'll take a few of those over the course of an entire season if it means those guys are making life difficult for the other team crossing the midfield line. Not sure there were enough of those penalties to appreciably impact the actual results of games/trajectory of the season.

Re: the discussion of the schedule/number of games/getting deeper into the roster—I have not looked closely at this but off the top of my head I know that both us and Notre Dame (among others, Penn comes to mind too) tend to do the "13-game very tough SOS schedule" and with the obvious exception of Penn last year, that hasn't worked out well for many of these teams come playoff time. It's been a good strategy for us if you just want the requisite SOS/RPI to make the tournament, but perhaps there's an argument to be made that it's not preparing the team well for May lacrosse. The Dukes/Yales/Marylands of the world who play a 14-game schedule, with a cupcake or two mixed in (e.g. Virginia played Utah, VMI, and Marist last year) have fared better come tourney time. It very well may not be related but after such an awful streak of first-round blowouts, we should at least be looking at it, IMO.
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:19 pm https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 61312?s=21

Hopkins is out with the Blue Jays’ all-decade team. Everyone remains disappointed with the 2013 season, but turns out the Class of 2013 did indeed have some terrific players.

This list probably has at least 2 or 3 future Hall of Famers on it, with Tucker Durkin leading the way as a near certainty.

Congratulations to all!

DocBarrister 8-)
My exact list except they have Kimmel over Crawley, which I don't totally get. Tough to argue with Kimmel's entire career which includes a 1st team AA season (the only year he played in this decade) and he was certainly a piece of that 07 championship team...but when you're talking about being a part of that team, you aren't really a player "of the 2010s." That's a whole other era. If you played with Byrne, Schwartzman, and Koesterer you probably shouldn't get to be on this decade list. Crawley meanwhile was a two-time AA this decade, two-time captain, and had a terrific performance in the Jays' only Final Four appearance of the whole decade.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Regarding scheduling “weaker” opponents, don’t the tournament calculations only look at your best ten games?

If so, that’s an incentive to play real games early on, grow the game for those weaker schools to play bigger named teams, and really develop your bench in a we’ve got to win environment.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-100percent on the crawley comments.
-I've discussed marr and most of you have disagreed, onto the next one.
-Owen Colwell has never been a source of discussion here but as the only captain on that side of the field faces huge challenges w/foley, kuuhhhn, danny jones gone, the net in limbo. It would help him demonstrably if prouty and the narewski brothers had excellent years.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:15 am My exact list except they have Kimmel over Crawley, which I don't totally get.
I don't know what's to "get". Hopkins had to pick a rule for compiling the team and they obviously picked graduation year. So while it is a fact Kimmel played 3 seasons in the "00's" and only 1 in the '10's - the choice is certainly defensible. For example - what would you say if someone like Kimmel started in '08 and finished in '11? What decade does he belong to? As far as the choice between those two players - there is none - Kimmel had 55 more points than Crawley.

And while these trips down memory lane are fun they are of course virtually meaningless. It was cool to think in a decade where I was there that they could literally put a Hall of Famer in 10 out of the 11 main positions on the field and twice over on goalie. Ned's trajectory certainly could have put him there as both a middie and a face-off - and I would nominate Kru if it were up to me.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

John Kelly over Fields
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:55 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:15 am My exact list except they have Kimmel over Crawley, which I don't totally get.
I don't know what's to "get". Hopkins had to pick a rule for compiling the team and they obviously picked graduation year. So while it is a fact Kimmel played 3 seasons in the "00's" and only 1 in the '10's - the choice is certainly defensible. For example - what would you say if someone like Kimmel started in '08 and finished in '11? What decade does he belong to? As far as the choice between those two players - there is none - Kimmel had 55 more points than Crawley.

And while these trips down memory lane are fun they are of course virtually meaningless. It was cool to think in a decade where I was there that they could literally put a Hall of Famer in 10 out of the 11 main positions on the field and twice over on goalie. Ned's trajectory certainly could have put him there as both a middie and a face-off - and I would nominate Kru if it were up to me.
If it was 2 years in one decade and 2 in the other, then take your pick. But when it's 3 and 1 I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense. Was Kimmel a better player? Maybe. But which guy contributed more to the decade? Crawley's 4 years of service had a far greater impact than Kimmel's 1. If you only need 1 year to qualify, then Joey Epstein has to be on there. But then you run into a problem in 2030 when you're putting together the team of the '20s and want to put Epstein on there (assuming he continues to play well, god willing), except you already put him on the previous team. Small world problems. You're right, it's meaningless offseason fodder.
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:49 am -Owen Colwell has never been a source of discussion here but as the only captain on that side of the field faces huge challenges w/foley, kuuhhhn, danny jones gone, the net in limbo. It would help him demonstrably if prouty and the narewski brothers had excellent years.
Teammates must have a lot of confidence to vote him in. If I was my boss and this were an office I'd say that Colwell and whoever ends up in the goal need to have some solid synergy. The season lives or dies on the defense/goalie's ability to improve substantially from last season.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:17 pm Was Kimmel a better player? Maybe.
There's no maybe - 145 points to 90. played on a NC team and in a final the next year 1st team AA. Again - your point is reasonable that Crawley played in 3 more years of that decade so he had a longer impact but under the criteria of which decade did you graduate - the one chosen by the group that did this list - Kimmel is an unquestioned choice.
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:17 pm The season lives or dies on the defense/goalie's ability to improve substantially from last season.
While not trying to put lipstick on the Hopkins defensive pig - one could also argue with scoring up - something like only 8 or 9 programs had GAAs less than 10 IIRC - that the season really lives or dies on whether Hopkins can find midfield scoring to take pressure off of Epstein and Williams - especially if Prouty and Matt N. can provide the team with an improved number of possessions
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:17 pm

If it was 2 years in one decade and 2 in the other, then take your pick. But when it's 3 and 1 I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense. Was Kimmel a better player? Maybe. But which guy contributed more to the decade? Crawley's 4 years of service had a far greater impact than Kimmel's 1. If you only need 1 year to qualify, then Joey Epstein has to be on there. But then you run into a problem in 2030 when you're putting together the team of the '20s and want to put Epstein on there (assuming he continues to play well, god willing), except you already put him on the previous team. Small world problems. You're right, it's meaningless offseason fodder.
If you're only going by one year of PT in the decade, I think you do have to include Epstein. His 73 points as a freshman were historic. But if they're choosing based on graduation year being in the decade then I think it's pretty hard to leave Kimmel off the list.
Laxsmitty

Post by Laxsmitty »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:40 pm
3. 2 quality ssdm
4. Replacement for Foley
6. stronger start
7. replacement for marr
8. maximizing zinn
9. minimizing offensive zone penalties. marr, williams, epstein had 15 last year.
10. gbs.
11. Use more of the bench and look for unexpected contributions.

First point and last point answer each other. It’s well known that Petro has a habit of destroying a goalies confidence. Nothing has changed. Also well known, he plays endless head games with the goalies ruining their ability to perform. Petro picks a starter based on a popularity contest rather than what’s best for the success of the team and how well a goalie can run the defense. He should use bench more because no under armor goalie would play for Petro knowing his reputation for being notoriously hard to play for. The problem isn’t selection necessarily, it’s coaching
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Laxsmitty wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:05 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:40 pm
3. 2 quality ssdm
4. Replacement for Foley
6. stronger start
7. replacement for marr
8. maximizing zinn
10. gbs.
11. Use more of the bench and look for unexpected contributions.

First point and last point answer each other. It’s well known that Petro has a habit of destroying a goalies confidence. Nothing has changed. Also well known, he plays endless head games with the goalies ruining their ability to perform. Petro picks a starter based on a popularity contest rather than what’s best for the success of the team and how well a goalie can run the defense. He should use bench more because no under armor goalie would play for Petro knowing his reputation for being notoriously hard to play for. The problem isn’t selection necessarily, it’s coaching
Is this recent knowledge? Gvodsen, Barrett and Schneider seemed to be confident
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Bassett had an excellent career but probably doesn't get his due because of the poor taste in everyone's mouths from the 2011 and 2012 postseason losses where the entire team **** the bed and pretty well hung him out to dry. And his '13 senior season which was generally excellent was overshadowed by the incompetency of the offense/first missed NCAA tournament in decades.

Gvozden had Schneider were similar cats, both could stand on their head and then give up easy shots from downtown. Gvozden started out hot and then his career tapered off once the book on him was out and seemed to lose his confidence. Schneider to his credit shut up a fanbase largely clamoring for anyone but him by the midpoint of his senior year and was an integral part of the team making the FF in 2015.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Goaltending is tough and results can erratic, seen some good ones fluctuate . Obviously much depends on defense in front limiting high % shots as well as quality of opponents. JHU schedules the best and the skills of offensive players keeps expanding while rules in all sports keeps favoring offenses.

Prior to the three mentioned, Scher, Smith and Schwartzman were also posted solid numbers.. That's a long stretch of good goaltending for JHU so maybe you could have expected some reversion to mean. Recent results may be due to myriad of reasons. Wouldn't shock me if save % is over fifty this year
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Catbird wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:49 am Bassett had an excellent career but probably doesn't get his due because of the poor taste in everyone's mouths from the 2011 and 2012 postseason losses where the entire team **** the bed and pretty well hung him out to dry. And his '13 senior season which was generally excellent was overshadowed by the incompetency of the offense/first missed NCAA tournament in decades.

Gvozden had Schneider were similar cats, both could stand on their head and then give up easy shots from downtown. Gvozden started out hot and then his career tapered off once the book on him was out and seemed to lose his confidence. Schneider to his credit shut up a fanbase largely clamoring for anyone but him by the midpoint of his senior year and was an integral part of the team making the FF in 2015.
Enjoyed this read
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Lets not forget Nick Murtha who was a 1st team AA in 2002. He was great that year.

Rob Scherr was great, steady and composed, would have been first team AA in 2003 but for the otherwordly performance by Tillman Johnson that year (would have had a natty too, God I hated that guy). NCAA screwed him by not giving him his year of eligibility back in '04. Have to wonder if they would have gotten by Cuse that year in the FF rematch, but such is life.

Scott Smith (RIP :cry:) had the unenviable position of following a string of all-americans and was not very well thought of during his time in goal (not to throw dirt on those who can't speak for themselves, just the truth observed from sitting in the stands all those years). Had some trouble like Gvozden and others who have followed giving up easy longballs... but that is to say we would love to have his >55% save percentage these days.

Schwartzman was just cooler than the other side of the pillow. Had some streaks of up and down play when appeared to lose focus, but when the chips were down there wasn't anyone else you wanted back there.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Catbird wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:12 am Lets not forget Nick Murtha who was a 1st team AA in 2002. He was great that year.

Rob Scherr was great, steady and composed, would have been first team AA in 2003 but for the otherwordly performance by Tillman Johnson that year (would have had a natty too, God I hated that guy). NCAA screwed him by not giving him his year of eligibility back in '04. Have to wonder if they would have gotten by Cuse that year in the FF rematch, but such is life.

Scott Smith (RIP :cry:) had the unenviable position of following a string of all-americans and was not very well thought of during his time in goal (not to throw dirt on those who can't speak for themselves, just the truth observed from sitting in the stands all those years). Had some trouble like Gvozden and others who have followed giving up easy longballs... but that is to say we would love to have his >55% save percentage these days.

Schwartzman was just cooler than the other side of the pillow. Had some streaks of up and down play when appeared to lose focus, but when the chips were down there wasn't anyone else you wanted back there.
Great color, thx
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

And Schwartzman refused to run laps.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”