JUST the Stolen Documents/Mar-A-Lago/"Judge" Cannon Trial

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: The Politics of National Security

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:13 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:04 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:31 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:23 am
old salt wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:28 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:01 pm So we are just to believe a pathological liar and his enablers. :roll:
If it wasn't true, Milley & Esper could simply say nothing, by declining to comment on Presidential communications.
The way you reflexively & casually slander good people you disagree with -- that's what's pathological.
Salty, we've repeatedly watched Trump lie, obvious provable lies, then get various subordinates to back him up. They do so until they get fed up and resign, or refuse and he fires them, or they get nailed on their own ethical issues.

Again and again and again.

I don't know these two guys, certainly would hope they're honest folks.

But we know that Trump is not. Anyone who is horrified by how precipitously this decision to withdraw was made, how surprised the military, State dept, our allies, Congress, all were, would be fascinated to hear what was said by Erdogan and what was said by Trump on this call.

I agree, calls generally shouldn't be released.
But then, generally we don't have someone like Trump on calls.
See the issue?

Was it a "perfect call"???
The issue isn't whether or not it was a "perfect call" or if Trump lies.

Critics are accusing Esper & Milley of lying when giving their account of what happened & why.
They are standing accountable for their actions in the chain of command,
which undermines the speculative canard that Trump "greenlighted" the Turkish incursion.
Are you suggesting that Esper and Milley and Trump had already decided, prior to the call, that we would withdraw from Syria
with no warning to our our commanders in the field, our allies, Congress????

And that was the only and best choice???

What did Erdogan say and what did Trump say?
How did they say whatever they said.

Before you going dismissing that Trump told Erdogan to go ahead, we'd get out of the way, let's see the transcript.

Sorry, but we want to know, not what Trump's subordinates may or may not be telling us fulsomely.
This is the issue with not being able to trust Trump.
There's no need to suggest anything. All you have to do is pay attention to what Esper, Milley & Amb Jeffrey have been saying.
They had been negotiating with the Turks for months to forestall a military incursion by the huge Turkish force massed on the border & the eastward spread of the Turkish proxy Syrian Arab militias fighting in NW Syria. They were trying to make the Joint Security Mechanism work, & based on their mil to mil, dip to dip relations, they were confident that it was working & would hold for the foreseeable future. Implicit in their negotiations was that the Turks would give us fair warning if they were going to move, so we could safeguard our exposed troops. In return, we as NATO allies, would not oppose them with military force if they did move (even contrary to our strong objections). It was a pragmatic, working level agreement between military commanders & NATO allies. Erdogan blindsided them & Trump with his abrupt decision to move.

I agree with their decision to pull back our 36 troops from the 3 border observation posts.
I do NOT agree with Trump's hasty announcement to pull all our troops out of N Syria & it's execution.
I would have advocated for just pulling them back where necessary to avoid contact with Turkish & proxy forces.
I don't know if our bases at Manbij or Kobane could have been held without fighting -- I'd defer to our area commander on that decision.
I would not have pulled out all our troops & their vehicles & equipment from N Syria & I doubt that Esper & Milley recommended that.
The military leaders & diplomats in both countries are both dealing with irrational leaders pursuing their domestic electoral agendas.

ok, on this we agree. You've previously made it sound as if you were supporting Trump's decision, and making light of the notion that Trump, in fact, greenlit the rapid advance of the Turks and their ethnic cleansing campaign.

Trump in his own public words has said that he does not care about the Kurds at all. Pretty darn disgusting, and I'm confident our forces on the ground who've been fighting shoulder to shoulder with the Kurds would quite agree.

Where you and I may still disagree is that it seems to me that Trump could well have held much more strongly against Erdogan and the timing of the withdrawal. Whether that meant bringing the 36 men back onto a stronger base or not, is very different from withdrawing air support and saying to the world that the Kurds haven't earned our allegiance.

Would that have meant 'fighting' the Turks? Well, yes, if they were firing on us or those we were protecting, darn tootin...and Trump should have made clear that would be result of our taking fire. We certainly have those capabilities.

So...what did Trump actually say to Erdogan?
My hunch is that perhaps he hemmed and hawed and choked and sputtered and then said, "well, if that's what you're going to do, we'll get out of the way." And then said to those who had been listening, 'well, time to get out anyway, right boys? I said, right boys?"
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:16 pmYou've previously made it sound as if you were supporting Trump's decision...
No I did not. You interpret any discussion of an issue which does not include a harsh critique of Trump as support.
...withdrawing air support... Would that have meant 'fighting' the Turks? Well, yes, if they were firing on us or those we were protecting, darn tootin...and Trump should have made clear that would be result of our taking fire. We certainly have those capabilities.
You have a fundamental lack of understanding of the tactical situation that departs from rationality.
My hunch is that perhaps he hemmed and hawed and choked and sputtered and then said, "well, if that's what you're going to do, we'll get out of the way." And then said to those who had been listening, 'well, time to get out anyway, right boys? I said, right boys?"
I'll rely on the public statements of the members of the chain of command who were privy to the call, rather than your hunch.
You seem to be unable to understand the reality that we had agreed with the Turks, months in advance, to not militarily oppose an incursion into Syria, so long as US troops were not endangered.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Yup, they would never lie. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:37 am Yup, they would never lie. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Misleading isn’t lying.... and if not under oath, lying isn’t illegal anyway. BFD. Get over it.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:44 am
jhu72 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:37 am Yup, they would never lie. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Misleading isn’t lying.... and if not under oath, lying isn’t illegal anyway. BFD. Get over it.
Misleading ? Read their statements -- they could not be more straightforward.
Esper specifically refutes the "greenlight" characterization.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:56 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:44 am
Misleading ? Read their statements -- they could not be more straightforward.
Esper specifically refutes the "greenlight" characterization.
Making a general observation.... ;). I am on board with you mate!
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:35 am No I did not. You interpret any discussion of an issue which does not include a harsh critique of Trump as support.
...withdrawing air support... Would that have meant 'fighting' the Turks? Well, yes, if they were firing on us or those we were protecting, darn tootin...and Trump should have made clear that would be result of our taking fire. We certainly have those capabilities.
You have a fundamental lack of understanding of the tactical situation that departs from rationality.
I'll rely on the public statements of the members of the chain of command who were privy to the call, rather than your hunch.
You seem to be unable to understand the reality that we had agreed with the Turks, months in advance, to not militarily oppose an incursion into Syria, so long as US troops were not endangered.
Baghdadi was in NW Syria, just 3 mi from the Turkish border. The fact that we had to fly the length of the Syrian border from NW Iraq, twice, to get him, illustrates how difficult it can be for us to get co-operation from the Turks. It would have been so much easier & safer to launch the raid from inside Turkey, if we could rely on our Turkish allies.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Crickets from the left re: ISIS leader hunted down and killed.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Oh, totally. It's only been covered by every single news outlet from the minute the news broke last night. Also full coverage of Trump's reaction.

Trot on over to the lefties at MSNBC, have a look at the headline. Trump quotes as well.

Everyone is covering it. But that won't stop your "news sources" from hitting "other media", and from you falling for it every single time.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:19 pm Crickets from the left re: ISIS leader hunted down and killed.
Sigh. The LIV in a self-governing society.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE BRAVE MEN AND WOMEN OF U.S. SPECIAL OPERATIONS, THE CIA AND THE ALLEGEDLY "CORRUPT" INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY, FOR WORKING TOGETHER TO DRIVE THAT EVIL TOADSTOOL :twisted: TO COMMIT SEPPUKU.A DOUBLE TAP WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER BUT IT'S DEAD AT LONG LAST.

HOOYAH!
US SPEC FCS.jpeg.png
US SPEC FCS.jpeg.png (45.04 KiB) Viewed 1389 times

Kudos to you boots on the ground operators, the best of the best, for accomplishing your mission. Although the U.S. turned our backs on the Kurds, you honor the longstanding bravery of our close allies. Wonder if any of you fine folks will be assigned to guard the KURD/IRAQ/RUSSIAN/TURKISH IRA OIL PUDDLE, located within the country of Syria? Any buzz about why the SYRIANS will not be guarding that puddle?Or the KURDS or the Russkis or the Turks for that matter?

Wonder how you valiant brothers and sisters in arms feel about the decision to send 14,000 troops to SAUDI ARABIA? Do more oil puddles need protecting? That regime has spent so much money perfecting a one size fits all BONESAW, they have nothing left in the piggy bank to pay for guards...except of course the castrati that guard the Prince's Harem.
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:19 pm Crickets from the left re: ISIS leader hunted down and killed.
Those are some loud crickets!

https://www.msnbc.com/
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:09 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:35 am No I did not. You interpret any discussion of an issue which does not include a harsh critique of Trump as support.
Baghdadi was in NW Syria, just 3 mi from the Turkish border. The fact that we had to fly the length of the Syrian border from NW Iraq, twice, to get him, illustrates how difficult it can be for us to get co-operation from the Turks. It would have been so much easier & safer to launch the raid from inside Turkey, if we could rely on our Turkish allies.
Although Trump eluded that the two events mutually exclusive, (i) moving those <50 troops out of Syria and (ii) the intel on Baghdadi location were in close time frame...I honestly wonder if it was a calculated risk or a diversionary tactic to make Baghdadi believe he was making progress and those ISIS people that were leaving the area would be heading towards their leader....in a move that he believed was strength on his part.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:27 pm
Sigh. The LIV in a self-governing society.
Seacoaster: Do you know who or what this LEFT that 182.88 cm. castigates? Surely he's not referring to lefties. :o I was a SF Giants fan growing up. But I aver I was nonetheless a big fan of Sandy Koufax. I find it difficult to believe Kindling Boy BELIVES any person, no matter with which hand they write, shoot, bowl, golf or pitch isn't chuffed that the ISIS leader is dead. I guess you can't please everyone.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:26 pm Oh, totally. It's only been covered by every single news outlet from the minute the news broke last night. Also full coverage of Trump's reaction.

Trot on over to the lefties at MSNBC, have a look at the headline. Trump quotes as well.

Everyone is covering it. But that won't stop your "news sources" from hitting "other media", and from you falling for it every single time.
He asked for "left".....and the centrist chimes in. Strange.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
a fan

Post by a fan »

And the self proclaimed lefty didn't chime in. Strange.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:29 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:26 pm Oh, totally. It's only been covered by every single news outlet from the minute the news broke last night. Also full coverage of Trump's reaction.

a fan is the board closet lefty :D
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:40 pm And the self proclaimed lefty didn't chime in. Strange.
Wait, I thought I was a tRump supporter? Stay on focus of hugely the best, everyone says so.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:43 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:29 pm

a fan is the board closet lefty :D
:lol:

Return to “POLITICS”