movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
Brooklyn

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by Brooklyn »

Made for TV flic: A Howling in the Woods

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067221/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Beautiful Barbara Eden & Larry Hagman. A suspense flic that surprisingly got a 3 star rating. To me it was more of a 2 star though it did have an interesting ending. This is the type of movie that we used to watch back in the day when, like today, there are no sports to watch. Good scenery, setting, decent acting including some dialog that is rather relevant in today's headlines, nice wardrobe, and then there's beautiful Barbara.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Excellent movie. It was fun. Great example of early film noir.

[youtube]7bJHmw_voJU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

Excellent movie. It was fun. Great example of early film noir.

***1/2
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

21 Bridges is a modern day Serpico like cop who leaves criminals toes up like his deceased cop dad did gets involved in a NYC cop shooting on a burglary that involved a treasure trove cocaine stash conducted by trained military type duo.
The parent, not the coach.
Typical Lax Dad

Watched Jo Jo Rabbit. I really liked it. Very well done.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:15 am Watched Jo Jo Rabbit. I really liked it. Very well done.
:) I also liked it.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Entertaining tragi-comedy. 3½ star ~ possibly 4
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Typical Lax Dad

I watched Parasite. Absolutely loved it. Beautifully lit and the acting was fantastic. I love Korean film.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Spenser Confidential

Recently eleased flic about Boston police corruption: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spenser_Confidential

Mark Wahlberg in the lead role. While he put more muscle and action in this role I thought his portrayal of corrupt cop Sgt Sean Dignam in The Departed was done with a lot more passion (he got an Academy Award nomination as best supporting actor).

I wonder if movies in this genre have been made about other cities as well as small town police corruption. Sad to say these guys are among the biggest hoods in all of society and more exposure needs to be made about their sinful activities. I liked the role played by Iliza Shlesinger as Cissy Davis - her Southie accent sounded real though she missed a couple of words and spoke normal English at times (she's originally from Texas but studied in Boston).

The movie (released only 2 weeks ago) has gotten mixed reviews. Gave it a ✱✱✱ star rating.

Typical Lax Dad

Fantastic. ****

Ava Gardner was a fox
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Man you can’t even do a simple review of a fictional movie without inserting your warped sense of what goes on in the real world.

I wonder if movies in this genre have been made about other cities as well as small town police corruption. Sad to say these guys are among the biggest hoods in all of society and more exposure needs to be made about their sinful activities.
Typical Lax Dad

6x6 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:13 pm Man you can’t even do a simple review of a fictional movie without inserting your warped sense of what goes on in the real world.

I wonder if movies in this genre have been made about other cities as well as small town police corruption. Sad to say these guys are among the biggest hoods in all of society and more exposure needs to be made about their sinful activities.
Two of my favorite movies involving police corruption were Training Day and The Professional. Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman were superb. An under the radar Irish Mob movie is State of Grace with Oldman and Sean Penn. It is excellent.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

TLD, couldn’t agree more, all excellent. I really like Denzel, great with him and Tom Hanks in Philadelphia. Glory, American Gangster, Cry Freedom, so many really good performances. Somehow, I’ve missed seeing Malcolm X all this time, maybe I’ll correct that oversight tonight if I can find it.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

6x6 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:13 pm Man you can’t even do a simple review of a fictional movie without inserting your warped sense of what goes on in the real world.

Take off the rose colored glasses, Kiddo.

Over the years I've mentioned my fondness for Italian cinema, television, and detective fiction. One of the themes that is repeatedly used in these genres are bureaucratic, judicial, political, and police corruption. The writers/producers of these works aren't kidding anyone when they expose such corruption and they don't pull any punches. Each and every one of them knows that, as Cicero and other philosophers have said over the centuries, justice must first exist so that order can prevail in any given society. That societies filled with anarchy, crime, and violence are those who are the victims of injustice. Watch movies such as "Spencer Confidential", "Boondock Saints", "Black Mass", "The Marcus-Nelson Murders" which starred Telly Savalas. Each movie's theme is that of society's injustices leading to disorder. In fact, in the Savalas movie, the narrator Lt Kojak opens by saying "I remember the first time I walked the beat. I felt we were doing the most wonderful job in the world. I thought of us as watchers of the city, protecting what was best in it. Some people say the community gets the police force it deserves." He closes by saying that there is no order in society because there is no justice.

When you watch a movie of this genre, listen carefully to the dialog. You will see that someone in the movie (more often than not, the lead character) will mention something about the lack of justice as leading to disorder. It is not a warped view of the world as you imagine. But one that is based on reality whether you like to believe it or not.
Last edited by Brooklyn on Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Speaking of Denzel, i watched Roman J. Israel, Esq yesterday. Great performance, interesting themes, interesting story but... I wouldn't necessarily suggest it. I wouldn't discourage someone but I wouldn't suggest it.
Caddy Day
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Knives Out - 2019

Great scenery and setting, at times humorous dialog, and intgriguing plot. Good acting as well. While this is a detective-murder mystery there is a comedic sense to it. Lead detective Blanc sure sounded like Colonel Sanders which made it funnier than may have been intended by the director. I understand there will be a sequel as it was a box office hit that gave the producers truck loads of money. The ratings have been excellent generally from 4.5 to 5 star.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I liked it. My #8 from 2019. Behind #7 Marriage Story, ahead of #9 Hidden Life.
Caddy Day
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Seems like every movie I've watched lately has some Boston theme to it. Watched "Spotlight" and gave it a solid ✱✱✱✱ rating:

https://movietime.guru/spotlight-film-r ... 58fafe29ba

An important movie with great social commentary, "The film tackles the challenging story of the Catholic Church abuse crisis that was brought to public attention in January 2002. The title refers to the investigative team of the Boston Globe who uncovered an astonishing history of abuse and negligence within the city of Boston and it’s institutions."

6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:47 pm

Take off the rose colored glasses, Kiddo.

Over the years I've mentioned my fondness for Italian cinema, television, and detective fiction. One of the themes that is repeatedly used in these genres are bureaucratic, judicial, political, and police corruption. The writers/producers of these works aren't kidding anyone when they expose such corruption and they don't pull any punches. Each and every one of them knows that, as Cicero and other philosophers have said over the centuries, justice must first exist so that order can prevail in any given society. That societies filled with anarchy, crime, and violence are those who are the victims of injustice. Watch movies such as "Spencer Confidential", "Boondock Saints", "Black Mass", "The Marcus-Nelson Murders" which starred Telly Savalas. Each movie's theme is that of society's injustices leading to disorder. In fact, in the Savalas movie, the narrator Lt Kojak opens by saying "I remember the first time I walked the beat. I felt we were doing the most wonderful job in the world. I thought of us as watchers of the city, protecting what was best in it. Some people say the community gets the police force it deserves." He closes by saying that there is no order in society because there is no justice.

When you watch a movie of this genre, listen carefully to the dialog. You will see that someone in the movie (more often than not, the lead character) will mention something about the lack of justice as leading to disorder. It is not a warped view of the world as you imagine. But one that is based on reality whether you like to believe it or not.
Now that’s funny, rose colored glasses. I have been in the trenches and much more. Have you? Doubtful, based on your posts and biased refrains of rampant unchecked malfeasance by all these evil doers.

I enjoy movies for what they are, entertainment. I understand and know from personal experience there are awful DA’s like Mike Nifong, bad cops that shouldn’t be wearing a badge, poor excuses for leadership in police departments and lousy politicians. Yet, despite that I don’t get up and walk out of a movie because the cops are being depicted as thugs etc etc.

Again this thread is about movies, tv etc. let’s leave it at that and take your opinions that don’t apply to another forum.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

6x6 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:50 pm

Now that’s funny, rose colored glasses. I have been in the trenches and much more. Have you? Doubtful, based on your posts and biased refrains of rampant unchecked malfeasance by all these evil doers.

I enjoy movies for what they are, entertainment. I understand and know from personal experience there are awful DA’s like Mike Nifong, bad cops that shouldn’t be wearing a badge, poor excuses for leadership in police departments and lousy politicians. Yet, despite that I don’t get up and walk out of a movie because the cops are being depicted as thugs etc etc.

Again this thread is about movies, tv etc. let’s leave it at that and take your opinions that don’t apply to another forum.

Trenches? Having worked as a government tax agent for 12 years and done some criminal law work, it can truthfully be said that I've worked in some form of trenches as well. This with the fact that I do not succumb to your right wing politically correct delusionalism makes me qualified to say that more so than you do.

As for the thread, yes it is about movies. Read any movie critic's comments about them and you will get the same analytical asessments I have made. If if these truths makes you feel butt hurt, I suggest a long session on a psychiatrist's sofa may be of help.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”