Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
norcalhop

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by norcalhop »

1. Relentless focus on rankings including gaming with test optional and a pathetic early decision 2 option
2. Removal of legacy admissions and then still pandering for donations from alumni (while being gleeful legacies only comprise 2% of the student body like that's something to be proud of)
3. Shift of culture to be more woke than peers with fake diversity
4. Inability to get actual top flight faculty (see the minimal change in NAE (national academy of engineering members) via bloomberg professorships
5. Lack of retention of top administrators (see provost and others). Etc Etc.

Hopkins is a fine school, but I'll likely be sending my kids to a better school sans Daniels.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

norcalhop wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:59 pm 1. Relentless focus on rankings including gaming with test optional and a pathetic early decision 2 option
2. Removal of legacy admissions and then still pandering for donations from alumni (while being gleeful legacies only comprise 2% of the student body like that's something to be proud of)
4. Inability to get actual top flight faculty (see the minimal change in NAE (national academy of engineering members) via bloomberg professorships

Hopkins is a fine school, but I'll likely be sending my kids to a better school sans Daniels.
Only one I disagree with is 5. They leave because they get bigger jobs like Presidents of schools like GW in the case of Knapp. I don't know 1.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hopkins modified its struture etc to improve its score on USNWR. It discontinued partivipsting in med school rankings after it fell to 5th by their metrics

On the other hand managing MB has resulted in 4+ Billion in contributions with, I assume, high expectations for future donations. The Hopkins corpus is undoubtedly better.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

OCanada wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:11 pm Hopkins modified its struture etc to improve its score on USNWR. It discontinued partivipsting in med school rankings after it fell to 5th by their metrics

On the other hand managing MB has resulted in 4+ Billion in contributions with, I assume, high expectations for future donations. The Hopkins corpus is undoubtedly better.
Ironically the med school is #2 again. Yes, many schools have stopped participating in rankings: https://www.abajournal.com/web/article/ ... .%E2%80%9D

Daniels is simply following the Penn playbook where he came from (who also played the rankings). Nothing groundbreaking.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

norcalhop wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:59 pm 1. Relentless focus on rankings including gaming with test optional and a pathetic early decision 2 option

Ah … the anti-diversity bit.

The world has changed. Get with the program or get left behind.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:24 pm

Ah … the anti-diversity bit.

The world has changed. Get with the program or get left behind.

DocBarrister
Hardly. DEI programs and ESG have moved on and been deprecated at many companies. If you do those programs, it should be genuine not just for rankings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... -job-cuts/
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

The hate group that runs DEI at Hopkins is no worse than those at what RD aspires to consider peer institutions.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Many of these supposed peer institutions are already reversing test optional. Why hasn't RD? Is he afraid diversity would decrease along with test scores?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

It is an exciting age, filled with hope. It is an age in which a new world order is being born. We stand today between two worlds—the dying old and the emerging new.—The Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

It should be an exciting game on Monday, especially at the faceoff dot.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:55 pm
norcalhop wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:25 am
jhu06 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:23 am
norcalhop wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:17 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:16 am
Lax Mouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:55 am https://x.com/tyxanders/status/17940188 ... 10o1w&s=19

Now it's confirmed
Can't really overstate how big this is. Exactly the type of player we want. Great job by the staff to get this (and Monfort) done
Solid leadership coming.
Bio says he was the team captain last year. Veteran leadership in the middle of the field. Good.
Yes, it was mentioned he was the sole captain (a customary measure) at Yale. Would not be surprised to see him reprise that role at Hopkins.
Very good pickups through the portal so far.

Any word on where Ramsey from Yale might go?

DocBarrister
Nicholas Ramsey is a good FOGO; if he does transfer he'll be a nice addition to any team's options at the X. He was Yale's starting FOGO in 2022 and 2023 at about 54% both years, and this year did quite well in a secondary role to Mac Rodriguez. All three of Yale's FOGOs, including Ramsey, got injured late in the season which doomed Yale's chances of advancing in the Ivy League tournament and making the NCAAs. (It was rough going from "we're so lucky we have two great FOGOs" to "wow we have no healthy FOGOs" but that's lacrosse for you and that position is tough on your body.). I assume Ramsey will have a full recovery (and hope he does).

It's not beyond the realm of possibility he'd want to go where two teammates/classmates are heading, but with Callahan returning and another FOGO already transferring in, not sure he'd feel like he'd be getting a chance to get on the field? Lars Tiffany collects transfer FOGOs like baseball cards so Charlottesville could be an option, and a couple of Yalies made a big impact at Notre Dame last year so maybe ND would like an insurance policy for Lynch? Hard to say.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

The Orfling wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:47 pm
Lax Mouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:55 am https://x.com/tyxanders/status/17940188 ... 10o1w&s=19

Now it's confirmed
Can't really overstate how big this is. Exactly the type of player we want. Great job by the staff to get this (and Monfort) done
Solid leadership coming.
Bio says he was the team captain last year. Veteran leadership in the middle of the field. Good.
Yes, it was mentioned he was the sole captain (a customary measure) at Yale. Would not be surprised to see him reprise that role at Hopkins.

DocBarrister
Nicholas Ramsey is a good FOGO; if he does transfer he'll be a nice addition to any team's options at the X. He was Yale's starting FOGO in 2022 and 2023 at about 54% both years, and this year did quite well in a secondary role to Mac Rodriguez. All three of Yale's FOGOs, including Ramsey, got injured late in the season which doomed Yale's chances of advancing in the Ivy League tournament and making the NCAAs. (It was rough going from "we're so lucky we have two great FOGOs" to "wow we have no healthy FOGOs" but that's lacrosse for you and that position is tough on your body.). I assume Ramsey will have a full recovery (and hope he does).

It's not beyond the realm of possibility he'd want to go where two teammates/classmates are heading, but with Callahan returning and another FOGO already transferring in, not sure he'd feel like he'd be getting a chance to get on the field? Lars Tiffany collects transfer FOGOs like baseball cards so Charlottesville could be an option, and a couple of Yalies made a big impact at Notre Dame last year so maybe ND would like an insurance policy for Lynch? Hard to say.
If he transferred, he might be close to primary FO. The dickinson guy has very average 50% win rate in D3 and callahan is 51% on the year. Hopkins needs better personnel at the position.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Ramsey is a good FOGO, but if the injury is as bad as it seems, I'm not sure I'd be rushing to bring him in. Worth a shot as a flier, but any significant injury to a FOGO is very tough to come back from
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

One general thought: I really hope Hopkins' offense evolves so it becomes more run and gun over time (not try to just have length possessions for possession sake). Milliman had this at Cornell during his final years there. Players want to play for a fun offense, hence why top recruits gravitate towards UNC that have gaudy point stats and not say UMD which has a better track record of winning.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:51 am Ramsey is a good FOGO, but if the injury is as bad as it seems, I'm not sure I'd be rushing to bring him in. Worth a shot as a flier, but any significant injury to a FOGO is very tough to come back from
Yes, always a wild card. Injuries remind me of Jared Hernandez who came in with hype from Cuse as a transfer but did not end up playing meaningfully.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Insightful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n79ZwO1HX9I

Brody will be higher than Daniels in my book - always. I've run into him at Stanford a few times. He remembers Hopkins fondly.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

norcalhop wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:49 am

Now it's confirmed
Solid leadership coming.

DocBarrister

If he transferred, he might be close to primary FO. The dickinson guy has very average 50% win rate in D3 and callahan is 51% on the year. Hopkins needs better personnel at the position.
No, the Dickinson guy is above 60% in his career, not 50. He was 61% this year and 63% last year. His worst year was 54% as a freshman in 2021.

Also UNC hasn’t had “gaudy point stats” in years. They get recruits because kids like the idea of going to college there. Has nothing to do with their offense. Certainly has nothing to do with recent success, because that’s been in short supply. A handful of their better players on offense have ended up transferring lately.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:35 am
norcalhop wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:49 am

Now it's confirmed
Solid leadership coming.

DocBarrister

No, the Dickinson guy is above 60% in his career, not 50. He was 61% this year and 63% last year. His worst year was 54% as a freshman in 2021.

Also UNC hasn’t had “gaudy point stats” in years. They get recruits because kids like the idea of going to college there. Has nothing to do with their offense. Certainly has nothing to do with recent success, because that’s been in short supply. A handful of their better players on offense have ended up transferring lately.
There was a mixup in the transfer portal thread- it was McKee and not Trucksess so you're right. Nonetheless, Im not confident 61% at D3 will translate strongly to DI. Mason Kohn from Cuse went from 71% in D3 to 58% in D1 this year, so ofcourse there will be some drop off. I'd be happy with anything above 55% by end of 2025.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

who is the fogo transferring in and who is the in house favorite to replace Ierlan.

I will not miss schellenberger and the reminder he could've been a Jay. Petros kids and Murphy on Maryland are the last ex Blue Jay player/recruits on other teams left right?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Does he count? He was never committed to Hopkins. Same with Dom Petro.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/lac ... commitment

The only other notable transfer outside of Murphy was Evan Zinn but he's already graduated, and he was more of a role player at UVa.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”