Transfer Portal 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Strictnine

Re: Transfer Portal 2024

Post by Strictnine »

Agreed. Pretty much standard ops for starting a new program. Staff never knows exactly what or how many transfers will be in play for them. So large classes are a must. USF has done quite well in the portal
With Chep, George, Pagano, and if McClure goes there along with the others that would be a hell of a start, but the underclassmen will suffer and some, dont blame them, are moving on for playing time and not to waste a year of eligibility , also another recent departure was to be closer to home and family…… understandable.
laxbro4567

Post by laxbro4567 »

Laxfan212 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:15 pm
laxbro4567 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:00 pm
Strictnine wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:54 am Many, not all, of the USF departures are due to the realization that there may be very little play time for them, made worse for them by USF bringing in some well established attackers thru the portal. I believe all the departures have been young attackers.
This is not the reason for the departures…seems like it had to do with the staff.
any chance you can elaborate - what about the staff?
Seems like the coaches portray themselves to be people they are not.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

I wonder how many entered before today's deadline.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

Transfer commitments are often a puzzle to me. Recent transfer accounted from very low d1, bottom 20%, to top 30ish team. Played only a few games, a couple of goals. “Normal” high school resume. What’s the thinking?
Strictnine

Post by Strictnine »

Without knowing who or from what program its hard to know what transfer you are referring
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

lacrossemwj wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:13 pm Transfer commitments are often a puzzle to me. Recent transfer accounted from very low d1, bottom 20%, to top 30ish team. Played only a few games, a couple of goals. “Normal” high school resume. What’s the thinking?
If you arent asking for money, it isn't that hard. Lots of teams will bring in preferred walkons out of the portal and effectively give them fall ball as a tryout.
LaxNJ71

Post by LaxNJ71 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:59 pm
lacrossemwj wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:13 pm Transfer commitments are often a puzzle to me. Recent transfer accounted from very low d1, bottom 20%, to top 30ish team. Played only a few games, a couple of goals. “Normal” high school resume. What’s the thinking?
If you arent asking for money, it isn't that hard. Lots of teams will bring in preferred walkons out of the portal and effectively give them fall ball as a tryout.
A friend of mine’s daughter is in the transfer portal - she begged, borrowed, and pleaded with multiple schools to be taken on as a walk on - none of the coaches she contacted would give her the time of day - not a single serious conversation. She did find a spot but it was a school that had recruited her in Hs. No one else would give her the time of day even explicitly asking for zero money.
Hello

Post by Hello »

I had been wondering what happens with better than average players in the portal from less than average schools, say San Diego State, Xavier, Longwood, ODU, Mercer, etc. especially underclassmen who haven't had a ton of playing time yet. Who is picking up these players to augment their recruits even without money in the conversation? And then there are the players from top 25 schools who just haven't played but want to get picked up, presumably, by at least an equally good program. But if unproven elsewhere why would a coach go this route in the portal?
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

LaxNJ71 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:43 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:59 pm
A friend of mine’s daughter is in the transfer portal - she begged, borrowed, and pleaded with multiple schools to be taken on as a walk on - none of the coaches she contacted would give her the time of day - not a single serious conversation. She did find a spot but it was a school that had recruited her in Hs. No one else would give her the time of day even explicitly asking for zero money.
This can go a thousand ways without knowing the legit type of player.
Strictnine

Post by Strictnine »

Hello wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:05 pm I had been wondering what happens with better than average players in the portal from less than average schools, say San Diego State, Xavier, Longwood, ODU, Mercer, etc.

Mercer doesn’t belong in that group. Look up Hailey Rhatigan and see what she did at NW after her transfer from Mercer. Mercer is better than “less than average”
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

Looks like Florida picked up Jordan Basso from D3 Gettysburg
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

I could see UNC getting Claudia Kelly if she were to transfer. Plays defense, graduated by Costal Carolina but has an extra year of eligibility, has a sister on the team. How much people will hate that UNC has a coach’s daughter, three sisters and another pair of sisters tho.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

I could see UNC getting Claudia Kelly if she were to transfer. Plays defense, graduated by Costal Carolina but has an extra year of eligibility, has a sister on the team. How much people will hate that UNC has a coach’s daughter, three sisters and another pair of sisters tho.
kingman442

Post by kingman442 »

Yeah that perception of Mercer is off base. They win their conference every year, schedule tough out of conference and consistently beat other “on the rise” programs like Coastal Carolina, High Point & East Carolina. They are a high quality mid-major program. Mention them with Fairfield, Jacksonville, HP, Coastal, etc. not San Diego St, Xavier, Longwood and ODU.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

laxbro4567 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:05 pm
Strictnine wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:54 am Many, not all, of the USF departures are due to the realization that there may be very little play time for them, made worse for them by USF bringing in some well established attackers thru the portal. I believe all the departures have been young attackers.
This is not the reason for the departures…seems like it had to do with the staff.
Lmao. That’s one way to put it.
Recap for the newer posters here. DON’T KILL THE MESSANGER. This is stuff that has been posted in these posts already.

The male coach who happens to be the head coach’s husband is a creeper who has had a huge public fight with a former player on Twitter.

What else….. offered things to players, only to change the particulars after committing.

Committed 20 or so 2023s, 18 2024s. Kids committing were told that they were going to start play in 2023-24 and build the program from the ground up. Take the lumps but they are going to start a culture in Tampa. Then they transfer in a high level freshman from Clemson and changed the start time of when they were supposed to start playing. Commit another 11 2025s, 2 of them uncommitted already. On paper USF for 45 kids in 2025 without any transfers coming in.

Coaches told some 2024 players right before their NLI signing they weren’t going to be on the team when they started real play.

Also referred to as Holy Rollers. (Don’t see that as a problem but some do)

That being said. One of the attackers who transferred to Holy Cross had an exceptional fall/spring. 30 goals over 15 assists in 16 unofficial games. So. No idea what happened there. Another attacker committed to High Point. The other two attackers have not committed anywhere yet.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Lara Kology UF to UVA
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:23 am
laxbro4567 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:05 pm
Lmao. That’s one way to put it.
Recap for the newer posters here. DON’T KILL THE MESSANGER. This is stuff that has been posted in these posts already.

The male coach who happens to be the head coach’s husband is a creeper who has had a huge public fight with a former player on Twitter.

What else….. offered things to players, only to change the particulars after committing.

Committed 20 or so 2023s, 18 2024s. Kids committing were told that they were going to start play in 2023-24 and build the program from the ground up. Take the lumps but they are going to start a culture in Tampa. Then they transfer in a high level freshman from Clemson and changed the start time of when they were supposed to start playing. Commit another 11 2025s, 2 of them uncommitted already. On paper USF for 45 kids in 2025 without any transfers coming in.

Coaches told some 2024 players right before their NLI signing they weren’t going to be on the team when they started real play.

That being said. One of the attackers who transferred to Holy Cross had an exceptional fall/spring. 30 goals over 15 assists in 16 unofficial games. So. No idea what happened there. Another attacker committed to High Point. The other two attackers have not committed anywhere yet.
One of the attackers committed to Ohio State- Issi Osborn.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Lexie Coldiron (G) from Lafayette to Rutgers. God pickup getting the
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:23 am Lmao. That’s one way to put it.

This thing grows every time a new post comes up. Figured I'd chime in since we've been following them (recruited my daughter, and were nothing but professional and she liked all of the coaches, including the creeper lol - she chose a different direction and wanted to be closer to home). We also have a good friend that's a 24 and hasn't been told to kick rocks yet.
First off, Laxbro clearly with a bone to pick. Only 2 posts and both bashing USF.
Point one - Creeper. No comment here, I enjoyed talking with him. BUT I suppose I could see that. I never saw the twitter beef, but do know he all of a sudden wasn't a coach at JU anymore.
They only committed 9 2025s. No one has de-committed (although rumors swirling one could be which wouldn't surprise anyone).
Roster is pretty big for sure. As I said in previous post could be close to/over 50 when the 2025s get there.
The 2024 USF decommitted apparently mom is a pain in the ass. I don't know them so don't know how true this is, but heard this from our friend whose daughter is going, so no reason not to believe them. Have not heard of any other 24s being told they wouldn't be on the team.
I've seen on social media the husband certainly seems to be religious. Could be worse things, but I can see where that's a turn off to some.
As far as the transfers go, they only have 4 which doesn't seem to be an overwhelming number. And I was told one of them dropped lax completely so really only 3.
Sure, I may be a little biased because they didn't dick around with my kid as some other schools did, but a lot of what has been said is pure speculation and definitely seems like coming from some disgruntled folks. Anyway, my $.02
Strictnine

Post by Strictnine »

spidey44 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:13 am
LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:23 am Lmao. That’s one way to put it.

This thing grows every time a new post comes up. Figured I'd chime in since we've been following them (recruited my daughter, and were nothing but professional and she liked all of the coaches, including the creeper lol - she chose a different direction and wanted to be closer to home). We also have a good friend that's a 24 and hasn't been told to kick rocks yet.
First off, Laxbro clearly with a bone to pick. Only 2 posts and both bashing USF.
Point one - Creeper. No comment here, I enjoyed talking with him. BUT I suppose I could see that. I never saw the twitter beef, but do know he all of a sudden wasn't a coach at JU anymore.
They only committed 9 2025s. No one has de-committed (although rumors swirling one could be which wouldn't surprise anyone).
Roster is pretty big for sure. As I said in previous post could be close to/over 50 when the 2025s get there.
The 2024 USF decommitted apparently mom is a pain in the ass. I don't know them so don't know how true this is, but heard this from our friend whose daughter is going, so no reason not to believe them. Have not heard of any other 24s being told they wouldn't be on the team.
I've seen on social media the husband certainly seems to be religious. Could be worse things, but I can see where that's a turn off to some.
As far as the transfers go, they only have 4 which doesn't seem to be an overwhelming number. And I was told one of them dropped lax completely so really only 3.
Sure, I may be a little biased because they didn't dick around with my kid as some other schools did, but a lot of what has been said is pure speculation and definitely seems like coming from some disgruntled folks. Anyway, my $.02
You seem to be in the know about USF. Can you confirm McClure is transferring to USF?

Thanks

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”