Ivy League 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Can Opener

Re: Ivy League 2019

Post by Can Opener »

The stat sheet doesn't do justice to the outstanding performance by Harvard's goalie. He made several point blank saves or stops on well-screened shots. He handled the white glare of the stadium lights that made my old eyes wish for sunglasses. Tehoka is always a treat to watch, but he spent most of the night up top as a midfielder which did not generate many open looks. He is much more of a threat working from behind IMO.
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

The lighting was horrible and it had to be a factor on some of the turnovers.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

Harvard Goalie quietly having a 1st team All-Ivy year. He’s been fantastic. Did he get any PT last year? I don’t recall him in the cage in 2018.
Can Opener wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:24 am The stat sheet doesn't do justice to the outstanding performance by Harvard's goalie. He made several point blank saves or stops on well-screened shots. He handled the white glare of the stadium lights that made my old eyes wish for sunglasses. Tehoka is always a treat to watch, but he spent most of the night up top as a midfielder which did not generate many open looks. He is much more of a threat working from behind IMO.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Re-watched the Princeton game.
That is a good team they beat, and Tierney was wired coming back to Princeton.
So two victories with that one win.

Pioneers of course are not your traditional eastern lacrosse style of play, assuming there is such a thing.

That team has players, in many cases, with wildly different styles of play depending on where they played their formative lacrosse. That Tierney and Brown are able to corral those different style into a cohesive unit is a testament to their coaching. I don’t believe Pioneer fans really have picked up on that point, with Tierney as coach, they are bottom line oriented.

Anyway, again, a good win, good showcase for Sowers, who’s style BTW is NOT that of Mike Powell ... well maybe a little.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Sting The Corner wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:58 am Harvard Goalie quietly having a 1st team All-Ivy year. He’s been fantastic. Did he get any PT last year? I don’t recall him in the cage in 2018.
Can Opener wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:24 am The stat sheet doesn't do justice to the outstanding performance by Harvard's goalie. He made several point blank saves or stops on well-screened shots. He handled the white glare of the stadium lights that made my old eyes wish for sunglasses. Tehoka is always a treat to watch, but he spent most of the night up top as a midfielder which did not generate many open looks. He is much more of a threat working from behind IMO.
Mullin had one minute of PT last year, but he was a frosh playing behind Robert Shaw, who was very, very good. Goalie is the one position where you typically never see the backups in any real way if the player in front of them is playing well. If they do get in, it would be because their team is winning by a lot and therefore they aren't likely to get tested. FOGO can be the same, but many teams will at least rest their starting FOGO's and at least when the backup fogo is on the field, he is by definition getting action.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Harvard has the weekend off, leaving

Dartmouth @ Cornell: I'll say Big Red 16 Big Green 7

Brown @ Princeton: awfully important game for both teams' ILT aspirations; Tigers 15 Bears 14

Yale @ Penn: this could well be for the ILT #1 seed; Bulldogs 14 Quakers 12.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Penn 17
Yale 13
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, that's pretty strong, Snake.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Penn seems to have reversed its usual form of starting strong OOC and fading in league play. Plus, it’s on the home carpet so the bounces should go their way,

However, we’ll see.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:11 pm Harvard has the weekend off, leaving

Dartmouth @ Cornell: I'll say Big Red 16 Big Green 7

Brown @ Princeton: awfully important game for both teams' ILT aspirations; Tigers 15 Bears 14

Yale @ Penn: this could well be for the ILT #1 seed; Bulldogs 14 Quakers 12.
Hard to argue with these picks, Fann. We have seen upsets every week, however. I will say that Brown recreates its one happy ending from last season with a W. (Insert tasteless Bob Kraft joke here.)
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

If Princeton can duplicate its performance against Denver, I'd suggest a wider margin of victory for the Tigers.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Can Opener wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:25 pm Hard to argue with these picks, Fann. We have seen upsets every week, however. I will say that Brown recreates its one happy ending from last season with a W. (Insert tasteless Bob Kraft joke here.)
True, upsets. In my mind, the only clear Ivy favorite this Saturday is Cornell. Shay is claiming that Yale is the underdog, and that game is being played in Philly. While Princeton looked good in beating Denver, the Tigers are 0-2 in conference versus 1-0 Brown; for me, the only thing that would surprise me about this game is if the winner scores less than 10 goals.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Looking forward to a good slate of games. I'll throw out a few predictions.

Cornell 15 v Dartmouth 5
Only question here is what's the spread?

Brown 13 v Princeton 12
Brown is ready to bounce back in Ivy play and Princeton is hung over.

Yale 12 v Penn 10
Rolling the dice on this one. Will be looking forward to what the actual result is.

Since we won't see it in basketball, here's another one.
UNC 14 v Duke 12
UNC at home keeps Duke on their heels.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

The IL computer picked a close Pton win over Brown. Not sure anyone outside Bruno's locker room (and player families) and some cognoscenti here thought it would be close after the last few games. Nice win by the Bears. Princeton not dead, but ICU and code 99. Bruno so up-and-down we could see a loss v Dartmouth in Hanover; not likely, but like today, you have to put the product on the field. Potential 3-3 with wins over Pton & Hvd looks like a Morningside Heights visit. And UPenn in LaProv next up.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

RumorMill wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 pm Looking forward to a good slate of games. I'll throw out a few predictions.

Cornell 15 v Dartmouth 5
Only question here is what's the spread?
Nice! Spot on!
RumorMill wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 pm Brown 13 v Princeton 12
Brown is ready to bounce back in Ivy play and Princeton is hung over.
Right again! I thought Princeton would win this one easily.
RumorMill wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 pm Yale 12 v Penn 10
Rolling the dice on this one. Will be looking forward to what the actual result is.
Very close! Penn in 3OT 13-12, after leading by 3, falling behind by 1, and scoring the tying regulation goal at the buzzer.
RumorMill wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 pmSince we won't see it in basketball, here's another one.
UNC 14 v Duke 12
UNC at home keeps Duke on their heels.
Yowza! I would have bet heavily against you on this one, but you're right again!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congrats to the Penn Quakers on a huge win. Great mental toughness and clutch play. Yale had a nice comeback of its own in the 4th quarter but couldn’t close it out and then could not convert despite multiple overtime possessions.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Big win for the Quakers of course.
Murphy, year in and year out, with among the toughest scheduling.
That’s worked against them at times, but not this year. It looks to me like the Quakers punched their ticket into the NCAAs with the win.
The question, who’s this Oregon kid, Handley, 6’5” 215 out of a school that really isn’t known for lacrosse as far as I know, there are other Oregon schools known for their lacrosse programs. What a pick up for Murphy.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:20 pm That’s worked against them at times, but not this year. It looks to me like the Quakers punched their ticket into the NCAAs with the win.
If they take care of business the rest of the regular season, I agree: they are in. AQ or at-large. It doesn't matter.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Gad zooks, me and my putridly poor prognostications (good thing I didn't quit my day job). Moreover, congratulations to Brown and Penn for proving me wrong. The Bears and Quakers are now the only two teams undefeated in Ivy conference play, with Penn now looking like they've booked a place in northernmost Manhattan, NYC for early May. Yale and Penn have played a number of OT games in recent years, and I suppose Murphy's men were overdue to come out on top. Brown could, should, well, I look forward to seeing the Bears at Reese Stadium against Yale in two weeks' time. Finally, congratulations to Cornell for notching an Ivy win; on to crimson Cambridge, Mass for the Big Red.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:25 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:20 pm That’s worked against them at times, but not this year. It looks to me like the Quakers punched their ticket into the NCAAs with the win.
If they take care of business the rest of the regular season, I agree: they are in. AQ or at-large. It doesn't matter.
Nope. One game at a time. Like my current beverage is my favorite, the most important game is the next one.

Keep your your eyes fixed firmly on that, not some hypothetical.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”