Denver 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DU-fan

Re: Denver 2019

Post by DU-fan »

I really like Denver's defense with Matt Neufeldt moving to close D. Although Towson's two first quarter goals were breakdowns on defense. Overall, the defense is playing great settled defense.

This hurts Denver on face-offs as Neufeldt is 2nd on the team with 25 GB's prior to the game.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:04 pm
Dunker wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:00 pm
DU-fan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:02 pm Just heard Dylan Johnson has a knee injury and out for the rest of the season. I feel bad for him and a big loss for DU.
DUFan: When did DJ get hurt? By the timing of your post, it must have been in practice, possibly in California. Watching the stream, I definitely saw his mother at the game. Huge loss. DJ, Gaines, and Neufeldt as a group were probably the best 3 long poles on any college team. Watching the game, I did see a lack of positioning to cause turnovers and pick up ground balls.

Ellis Geis is going to be a great one. Colton Jackson has expanded his game.
I heard it in the pre-game. The TV announcer said broken knee. Not sure if this is confirmed.

I assume it was practice during the week.
LSN announcers shared that Dylan Johnson had his injury in warm-ups before the ND game. That is rough...
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

If Denver loses this game, is it AQ or bust for the Pios?
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:00 pm If Denver loses this game, is it AQ or bust for the Pios?
I think so. It depends how on UNC does the rest of the season.

But, Denver needs to win the Big East at this point. The BE tournament is in Denver this year.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

DU-fan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:14 pm
Hawkeye wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:00 pm If Denver loses this game, is it AQ or bust for the Pios?
I think so. It depends how on UNC does the rest of the season.

But, Denver needs to win the Big East at this point. The BE tournament is in Denver this year.
There’s more than one of us rooting for UNC right now... :?
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Towson did a great job shutting down Denver's attack. Denver's only success came in midi dodging, knowing that a slide would not come.

That was a great come back win. Especially after finals week and traveling on Friday instead of Thursday. Great for team confidence.

Alex Ready had another great game. He got the win at the end of this game for Denver. Awesome to see him step up, like he did against UNC.

I like Colin Rutan playing midfield too.
darkhaha

Post by darkhaha »

Agree with all your points, DU-fan. What a gutsy effort! After three quarters, I really didn’t think we were going to win that game. Stellar outings by Ted Sullivan, the entire defense, and Boos, who may have lost the statistical battle but really held his own at the X. This could be a turning point in our season…
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Nice game summary:
https://letsgodu.com/2019/03/23/pioneer ... more-68354

PIONEERS WIN DEFENSIVE STRUGGLE OVER TOWSON ON THE ROAD, CONTINUE TO BUILD POSTSEASON RESUME
MARCH 23, 2019 NICK TREMAROLI

It’s never too early to start thinking about the postseason and NCAA Tournament in collegiate men’s lacrosse. The season is so short that every win and loss matters more than in almost any other sport. For the #13 Denver Pioneers, a team that has lacked a signature, resume-building win this season, a matchup with the #8 Towson Tigers in Maryland presented a golden opportunity. Denver seized that opportunity won a close, defensive game 7-6 and added a key victory to their resume.

Towson was ranked as high as #1 earlier this season and will no doubt be a major national factor over the last month and a half of the regular season. After a tough loss against Notre Dame in California two weeks ago, this win for the Pioneers, punctuated by eight saves by Alex Ready and 20 Towson turnovers, was important to get them back on track.

Anish Shroff @AnishESPN
Huge win for @DU_MLAX. Come May this win could mean the difference between hosting or going on the road in RD1... more importantly it likely gives the Pios the safety net of an at-large berth.

As well as both defenses played, Ted Sullivan was able to find his offensive touch tallying a hat trick and an assist on 10 shots. Even star attackman Ethan Walker was only able to notch a single goal on seven shots. At the X, freshman FOGO Brett Boos only went 5-for-17 but Denver’s stifling transition defense and great wing play mitigated the effects of 12 lost faceoffs. Maryland transfer D Matt Neufeldt led the way on that front grabbing a game-high five ground balls.

Denver plays Princeton in New Jersey on Tuesday before returning home next weekend to open BIG EAST play against Georgetown. The BIG EAST is projected to be fairly weak this year. Had Denver lacked this type of signature win over Towson, it would have been very difficult for the Pioneers to make the NCAA Tournament without winning the BIG EAST, something they have not done since winning the national title in 2015. This win, of course, does not guarantee the Pioneers will make The Dance without a conference title but it absolutely helps.

Highlights

Lax Sports Network
@LaxSportsNet
Own Goal! Tyler Canto turns the ball over right to Denver, makes the save but the rebound bounces back in off Gray Bodden
https://twitter.com/LaxSportsNet/status ... 8597296133
10:22 AM - Mar 23, 2019

Lax Sports Network @LaxSportsNet
Ethan Walker! While he's in mid-air, he knocks the ball out of mid-air and in for the goal!
https://twitter.com/LaxSportsNet/status ... 1215839232
11:31 AM - Mar 23, 2019

The Lacrosse Cave @LacrosseCave
Wormburner! No. 13 @DU_MLAX and No. 7 @Towson_MLAX are all tied at 6-6 with just under 4 minutes to go.
https://twitter.com/LacrosseCave/status ... 1883494400
11:52 AM - Mar 23, 2019

Lax Sports Network @LaxSportsNet
Denver takes the lead with 1:13 left on Ted Sullivan's hat trick goal #13 @DU_MLAX up 7-6 on #8 @Towson_MLAX
https://twitter.com/LaxSportsNet/status ... 5275195393
11:49 AM - Mar 23, 2019

Travis Eldridge@tgeldrid
Ted Sullivan the hero for @DU_MLAX ...3 of the 7 goals including the game-winner at Towson.
https://twitter.com/tgeldrid/status/1109519687795306496

Pios get a marquee non-conference win, and @DUCoachTierney wins his 399th career game.

Coach Tierney goes for #400 at his former program, Princeton, on Tuesday.
12:18 PM - Mar 23, 2019
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Very mature fourth quarter performance by the Pios in what may be a season-saving 7-6 road win over Towson.

The Pioneers (and Tigers) were both very sloppy offensively all day and both teams played great defense. But after a sub-standard performance in the first three quarters for the Pios, the fourth quarter was all DU. The Pios scored all of the three goals they needed, and kept Towson from scoring, turning a 6-4 deficit into a 7-6 victory. That's what good teams do at crunch time on the road, and the Pios got it done.

In a game where Austin French, Ethan Walker, Ellis Geis and Colton Jackson were almost non-factors, it was Teddy Sullivan who stepped up with three alley-dodge goals to lead the Pio attack, including the game-winner in the final minutes. Sullivan took big advantage of a short-stick defenders on all DU three goals, and if I was Shawn Nadelen, I probably would have adjusted with a pole to defend Sullivan in the final quarter, but that adjustment never came. Game over.

Honestly, while I love the DU win, I must say the DU offense looked pretty awful for much of the game. Credit Towson's defense and fine goaltending for much of DU's disfunction, but this did not look like Matt Brown's offense. DU continues to shoot poorly and look out of synch for large stretches. If DU has ambitions of playoff success, lets hope they can find some more chemistry...

So now Tierney goes for win #400 against his old Princeton team on Tuesday. Pios will need to be better if they expect to win, because you know Princeton is going to be jacked up for this game. Go Pios!
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Great points
Puck Swami wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:07 pm So now Tierney goes for win #400 against his old Princeton team on Tuesday. Pios will need to be better if they expect to win, because you know Princeton is going to be jacked up for this game. Go Pios!
Princeton is going goal for goal with Yale right now. Denver should not count the win before the game. They need to focus on stopping Michael Sowers and the rest of the Princeton offense.

Erik Peters in playing goal for Princeton. Colton and Erik played together at Rock Canyon. Hopefully, Colton scores a couple on him :D
laxadaisical

Post by laxadaisical »

DU ranks first in D1 goals allowed per game at 7.7 right now.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Four stats that Denver needs to improve at:
  • Clearing #65 Denver 95 Clears 124 attempts .766
  • Man Up Offense #61 Denver 6 EMO Goals 26 attempts .231
  • Goals per game #31 Denver 70 goals, 11.67 per game
  • Shots on goal #30 Denver 70 goals, 241 shots .290
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Nobody worry about the Matt Brown offense. Tierney said in his post game that DU practiced 1 man dodges all week because Towson NEVER slides. We will get back to our crisp passing at Princeton on Tuesday and find openings. Princeton is actually very good, but they give up lots of goals. We will score 11-15 goals. Ready will get peppered but our defense will limit the # of shots somewhat..
Fanlax999

Post by Fanlax999 »

After watching several games this season, this team can't play any defense; at least not when they need to. they go up 2-3 goals but then give it right back. back and forth. they can score but can't play defense.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

This loss to Princeton hurts on a number of levels. I feel bad for a DU team that played some good lacrosse last night, responded well in a number of instances, and clearly wanted a good result for its coach. DU scored 13 goals last night and won most of the stat categories, but did not win the game. That loss may have cost DU a home game in the NCAAs, assuming DU goes on to win the Big East, which they are favored to do.

That said, I think DU underestimated just how motivated this wounded, yet talented Princeton team would be. The emotion level on the Princeton side was just higher, and that, to me was likely the difference in the game.

Beneath the emotion, for a defense that was giving up 7 goals per game to suddenly give up 14 goals, clearly DU had some defensive assignment and adjustment issues that will be evident on further review. What was most disturbing to me was that most of the Tiger goals were scored in close, an area where the Pios appeared to very strong this season.

Looking at it on TV, it seemed obvious that Colin Squires struggled to contain Michael Sowers. That's not a knock on Squires, as Sowers is an exceptional talent. I am wondering about the slide responsibilities and missed assignments. I think the Pios gave Princeton too much operating room around the goal. Also, I am not sure why Matt Neufeldt, who played so well on close D to fill in for Dylan Johnson against Towson, was not playing close D against Princeton - perhaps someone can fill me in on that decision? Clearly, Dylan Johnson is missed due to injury. But if the close defense problems have been now been added to what is to date, a mediocre offense and a propensity for turnovers and poor clearing - this once promising season will end poorly.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that this DU team underperformed. The problems appear to be ones largely of mental focus, rather than talent or physical deficiencies. Let's hope the coaches can correct it...

Finally, I think it's fair to question a DU schedule that has five straight road games on it, with final exams in the middle of it. I realize DU needs to play the best teams, and many of them won't play DU in Denver. But I think being on the road for a month straight is too mentally taxing for any team, and I'd rather see DU give up one of the altruistic games that they play in February (either Cleveland State or Utah) for any opponent that could have played DU in Denver in mid March to break up all those road games in a row...
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Puck Swami wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:03 pm This loss to Princeton hurts on a number of levels. I feel bad for a DU team that played some good lacrosse last night, responded well in a number of instances, and clearly wanted a good result for its coach. DU scored 13 goals last night and won most of the stat categories, but did not win the game. That loss may have cost DU a home game in the NCAAs, assuming DU goes on to win the Big East, which they are favored to do.

That said, I think DU underestimated just how motivated this wounded, yet talented Princeton team would be. The emotion level on the Princeton side was just higher, and that, to me was likely the difference in the game.

Beneath the emotion, for a defense that was giving up 7 goals per game to suddenly give up 14 goals, clearly DU had some defensive assignment and adjustment issues that will be evident on further review. What was most disturbing to me was that most of the Tiger goals were scored in close, an area where the Pios appeared to very strong this season.

Looking at it on TV, it seemed obvious that Colin Squires struggled to contain Michael Sowers. That's not a knock on Squires, as Sowers is an exceptional talent. I am wondering about the slide responsibilities and missed assignments. I think the Pios gave Princeton too much operating room around the goal. Also, I am not sure why Matt Neufeldt, who played so well on close D to fill in for Dylan Johnson against Towson, was not playing close D against Princeton - perhaps someone can fill me in on that decision? Clearly, Dylan Johnson is missed due to injury. But if the close defense problems have been now been added to what is to date, a mediocre offense and a propensity for turnovers and poor clearing - this once promising season will end poorly.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that this DU team underperformed. The problems appear to be ones largely of mental focus, rather than talent or physical deficiencies. Let's hope the coaches can correct it...

Finally, I think it's fair to question a DU schedule that has five straight road games on it, with final exams in the middle of it. I realize DU needs to play the best teams, and many of them won't play DU in Denver. But I think being on the road for a month straight is too mentally taxing for any team, and I'd rather see DU give up one of the altruistic games that they play in February (either Cleveland State or Utah) for any opponent that could have played DU in Denver in mid March to break up all those road games in a row...
Puck Swami - you make some excellent points. I know it is a cliché, but this game may have been lost by the coaches to some extent.

I am sure that Tierney had trouble managing his own emotions, which the team feeds off of.

I suspect the strategy was to play a lot of offense and limit the time Princeton had the ball on the offensive end.
Princeton ranks 47th in face offs, so the coaches felt that Matt Neufeldt could be a difference maker in Denver controlling the ball.
Towson ranks 2nd in face offs, so Denver probably assumed they would lose most face offs, and they needed Matt Neufeldt on defense more.

The problem with the strategy against Princeton is that even though we won 20 of 31 face offs (645%), we turned the ball over 16 times, and played too much defense. Princeton has a great offense and Michael Sowers and team gave us match up problems. We missed slides and one on one match ups. Princeton got a 3 goal lead in the 4th quarter and we could not catch up.

I also thought Erik Peters had a great game in the goal for Princeton and was a big reason why Princeton won.

It is clear that Denver is much better on defense with Matt Neufeldt playing close D. This a big defense talent issue and a bigger issue next year unless there are 2 stud recruits that can step in next year.

The schedule is a problem. 5 weeks on the road has a negative impact on any team. Not sure how Syracuse gets to have their first 7 games at home. SU's biggest travel was to Cicero-North Syracuse High School.

I think Denver should probably move to having Finals week by a BYE week every year and schedule around it.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

999- Our defense is good. #1 GAA going into last night's game. Last night we were terrible. Kids a little lost w/o Dylan Johnson. They have to get over it. Injuries to great players happen, yes sometimes even in practice.. (not my opinion. Rather I heard it from DU parents at last night's game that kids were deflated week of ND game)
Odd game last night.. Princeton run and gun. DU patient. We got the lead by running and gunning with them. Then we controlled tempo and they beat us at our own game. Tied 7-7 at half, DU just looked like the better team overall. In the second half, we even reverted back to the dodging offense we used against Towson. Cold evening in the Class of 52 Stadium. The big deflating moment was the turnover in front of our goalie that they picked up with no defender around. Strange happening, but it happened. Princeton kid juked Ready 4-5 times becacuse he had all day. Ready had no chance, but was solid for the most part. I read stats and some Defenseman for the Tigers had 5 caused turnovers. That's a huge number and probably Game MVP honors even over Sowers who is great. We need to hope Princeton finishes strong and get in top 20 so we don't have a bad loss on our resume. Also, if Towson can run the table, they will end up being a top 10 win for us. We may have to control our own destiny by winning the BIG East Tournament. Better yet, If somehow we can win our next 7 (only dangerous road game is Marquette) and finish at 12-3, (it can happen) Tierney will try to promote DU for a top 8 seed and thus a home game in the NCAA's.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Dunker and DU fan: Good points.

I think the emotions on both sides were huge factors in the game, and I think Princeton used their emotions better...

I saw the ESPNU interview with Tierney before the game, and he was virtually in tears. It's very hard to be an effective coach when the pre-game emotions were so strong. Considering the DU staff knew this would be emotional ahead of time, I wish they would have planned to cope with it a little better. You could tell from the first minute of the game that this was going to be an emotional slog, and I think DU's 16 turnovers were emblematic of a team struggling with proper focus and precision.

I can't really blame Tierney for that - he spent 22 years on that campus and became a legend in the process. I also am glad he had the chance to go back there and bask in the adulation he so richly deserves...

As for the effect of this on the Pioneers, it's hard to say. They also went into Princeton on two days rest after a draining game against Towson on their fifth away game in a row after 34 days since the last DU home game. I am pretty sure DU is still in shock over losing Dylan Johnson, too, It's a been long, tough slog this year, and Princeton was pumped to the gills, too.

That game probably was Princeton's Super Bowl this year, after starting 2-5.

Yes, DU could finish 12-3 and all of this could be a distant memory come May. That is my hope. But my fear this that this team could just as easily finish .500 and miss the tournament, which would be a huge underachievement. We need our coaches to be focused right now on improving the defense, fixing the offense and clearing the ball. Let's hope that a couple of home games are the cure for this mid-season malaise....

One other thing - banish those black DU uniforms. Princeton belongs in black. DU does not belong in black - our colors are Crimson and Gold.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

DU-fan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:54 pm
Puck Swami wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:03 pm This loss to Princeton hurts on a number of levels......
….

The schedule is a problem. 5 weeks on the road has a negative impact on any team. Not sure how Syracuse gets to have their first 7 games at home. SU's biggest travel was to Cicero-North Syracuse High School.

I think Denver should probably move to having Finals week by a BYE week every year and schedule around it.
Stupefied wrote on the SU thread
Colgate coach asked to move their game up to Dome for opener given change in their tourney schedule. Otherwise it would have been a late season game at Colgate . Cuse and Hopkins alternate every two years instead of one. Cuse will now play the next two years away at JHU . If not for those two , Cuse would be playing six home games and seven away games .

As a sidenote , visiting players enjoy their trips here especially early in the season because of the conditions and energy when they play inside a warm Dome in front of 4k rather than the frigid outdoors with limited attendance. Next year Cuse will be on the road for all remains games after February as the Dome will be undergoing renovations
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

laxpert wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:23 pm As a sidenote , visiting players enjoy their trips here especially early in the season because of the conditions and energy when they play inside a warm Dome in front of 4k rather than the frigid outdoors with limited attendance. Next year Cuse will be on the road for all remains games after February as the Dome will be undergoing renovations
I don't hear many people say that people enjoy visiting Syracuse in February, unless they like the snow and cold weather. My parents live in Syracuse and I would never fly there from Denver in February. And I really like my parents and enjoy their company :lol:

Duke and UNC have a much better early spring proposition if is is not pouring rain.

But, my point is really that 5 weeks straight of long over night travel is tough on any team. Regardless of where you are going. Syracuse fans may not appreciate that as driving to Hamilton, Geneva, West Point, Ithaca, or Albany is still relatively close. Kudos to Desko for doing a great job of scheduling this year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”