ODAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
HooDat

Re: ODAC 2023

Post by HooDat »

allthingsODAC wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:51 am But, I still am not buying into W&L. I feel that they were a decent team carried by.....[fill in the blank here]
No dog in the fight, but isn't this W&L basically every year? And yet they keep showing up in the conference finals (or at least semi's) year after year.....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

HooDat wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:57 pm
allthingsODAC wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:51 am But, I still am not buying into W&L. I feel that they were a decent team carried by.....[fill in the blank here]
No dog in the fight, but isn't this W&L basically every year? And yet they keep showing up in the conference finals (or at least semi's) year after year.....
People always say this. Once every 3-4 years they are really good. Then they’re just fine. I’d expect similar results as last year. Better W&L offense, not as good in the goal.

The HSC hype is a little funny. I feel like they were carried by their goalie at times last year. He had to make 18svs vs a “decent” W&L team just for them to have a chance. And they graduated 2 guys who were 60% of the teams production last year. HSC scored 16 goals against W&L, Duffy and Clagett had a hand in 13 of them.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:19 pm
People always say this. Once every 3-4 years they are really good. Then they’re just fine. I’d expect similar results as last year. Better W&L offense, not as good in the goal.

The HSC hype is a little funny. I feel like they were carried by their goalie at times last year. He had to make 18svs vs a “decent” W&L team just for them to have a chance. And they graduated 2 guys who were 60% of the teams production last year. HSC scored 16 goals against W&L, Duffy and Clagett had a hand in 13 of them.
Maybe not as good in goal but I’m betting they will get solid play in the goal once again. At the end of the day there was only 1 game that I’d lean in on and say the goalie perhaps won that one. It was against Roanoke winning 11-8 saving 72%. He had great games against York saving 20, Gburg saving 19, CNU saving 21 but it didn’t matter when you lose by scores of 8-7 10-6 and 13-8 respectively. Goal play didn’t matter they lost despite Herculean efforts. They will be fine in goal they have a strong bench
FerrumLaxDad

Post by FerrumLaxDad »

Looking at the preseason player of the year candidates it’s ridiculous that Riley Mitchell of Lynchburg didn’t get mentioned at all. You can’t tell me the FOGO from Bowdoin, defended from RIT, and LSM from York are more deserving of being on that list than he is.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:33 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:19 pm

Maybe not as good in goal but I’m betting they will get solid play in the goal once again. At the end of the day there was only 1 game that I’d lean in on and say the goalie perhaps won that one. It was against Roanoke winning 11-8 saving 72%. He had great games against York saving 20, Gburg saving 19, CNU saving 21 but it didn’t matter when you lose by scores of 8-7 10-6 and 13-8 respectively. Goal play didn’t matter they lost despite Herculean efforts. They will be fine in goal they have a strong bench
And I will say if you watch the Roanoke game closely. That was one where Roanoke just took a lot of bad shots (which they’ve been known to do). They made it pretty easy on Spagnoletti that day. That W&L defense forces a lot of bad shots as well.
ShenandoahLaxDad

Post by ShenandoahLaxDad »

Upcoming 2/9 games

Messiah v. Shenandoah

Ferrum v. Lynchburg

Mary Washington v. Randolph-Macon

Hampton v. Guilford (Exhibition)

Roanoke v. Salisbury

Warren Wilson v. Randolph

Winners: Shenandoah, Lynchburg, RMC

Losers: Randolph, Roanoke, Guilford

Interested to see how Roanoke does. I would be surprised to see them beat Salisbury. Could get ugly, similar to CNU last year for them.
Hardhat

Post by Hardhat »

Messiah vs Shenandoah is a scrimmage
Dehuntshigwa’es

This Salisbury team is not the same caliber of the 2017 Championship team this year but they are dominating Roanoke. End of third Roanoke trails 15-8 . It’s going to be the brothers show if Roanoke looks to make noise in the ODAC. Julian is talented no doubt but not much O other than the brothers. D looked out of sync and the Ssdm struggled. Don’t see an ODAC title just yet with the current D. It’s early and lots of upsets today. Let’s see how Noke performs against Sewanee and Dickinson at months end
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

This Salisbury team is not the same caliber of the 2017 Championship team
Hey Dehunt; I enjoy reading your insightful posts over the years. Please keep'em coming.

You're absolutely right about the comparison to the 2017 SU team. The Gull 2011/2012 and 2016/2017 teams were about as good as a D 3 team can be. Throw in the 2014/2015 Tufts teams and you have the trifecta.

That said I thought Roanoke looked respectable. Their zone and ride gave Salisbury problems and can only get better as the season rolls on. I think they'll make some noise and an upset or two in the ODAC.
Dehuntshigwa’es

MrLax2U wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:23 pm
This Salisbury team is not the same caliber of the 2017 Championship team
Hey Dehunt; I enjoy reading your insightful posts over the years. Please keep'em coming.

You're absolutely right about the comparison to the 2017 SU team. The Gull 2011/2012 and 2016/2017 teams were about as good as a D 3 team can be. Throw in the 2014/2015 Tufts teams and you have the trifecta.

That said I thought Roanoke looked respectable. Their zone and ride gave Salisbury problems and can only get better as the season rolls on. I think they'll make some noise and an upset or two in the ODAC.
I’m probably way over my skis, I was being too big of an ODAC fan today thinking Noke might make a run at Salisbury, wishful thinking. The biggest thing I came away w was Roanoke just isn’t that athletic on D and their Ssdm were exposed I thought today. Let’s see after Sewanne and Dickinson who might be a legit top 12 team.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

There is an old saying that an AA can carry a team. Read into it what you will but the jist is that he makes everybody around him better.

Salisbury has 3 on offense and 2/3 on defense. I have to think more about this but maybe at some level that many start to cancel each other out. Berkman is a great coach with all that implies so we'll see as the season progresses.

As for Roanoke I think they did a credible job and will only improve.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Sometimes you have to check between perception and reality. Over the last 10 matchups W&L has had with the 3 other traditional ODAC contenders the Generals are 20 and 10. 7-3 vs HSC 7-3 vs Lynchburg and 6-4 vs Roanoke. Looking forward to another great season with its usual surprises.
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Welcome back D'hunt. I have missed your insight.

Does anyone have any news of the W&L-Richmond scrimmage yesterday?
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Faxlax wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:36 am Welcome back D'hunt. I have missed your insight.

W&L vs York in less than a week. Big test for both teams. York should be favored by 5 or 6. An outcome of anything closer (or a W&L win) could mean an up year for W&L or a down year for York

We will find out early in the season
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Faxlax wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:36 am Welcome back D'hunt. I have missed your insight.

27-11 Richmond including the 5th quarter and Man Ups.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

JPAtlantic wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:28 pm

27-11 Richmond including the 5th quarter and Man Ups.
It was 21-11. 11-7 at half time. Both teams played their starters for all four qtrs.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Jumbo wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:13 am

W&L vs York in less than a week. Big test for both teams. York should be favored by 5 or 6. An outcome of anything closer (or a W&L win) could mean an up year for W&L or a down year for York

seems like W&L may have a few more holes to fill especially on the defensive side with the loss of Spags and 4 of 6 defenders (both SSDM and 2 at close) York dominated the faceoff's last year and could do the same this year but the will not have to see the brick wall that was Spags again. So as I see it

game day
FOGO advantage York
W&L Off v York Def advantage York
W&L Defense v York Off. advantage W&L ( W&L has the best defender on the field)
goal - both will have new guys so this is a push

This will be a close game I think but, I think York pulls out a close low scoring game.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Asgot wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:08 am

seems like W&L may have a few more holes to fill especially on the defensive side with the loss of Spags and 4 of 6 defenders (both SSDM and 2 at close) York dominated the faceoff's last year and could do the same this year but the will not have to see the brick wall that was Spags again. So as I see it

game day
FOGO advantage York

This will be a close game I think but, I think York pulls out a close low scoring game.
You are crazy if you don't think York's Ethan Greene is best defender on the field. Heck, he is probably the best player on the field. 6'5 225 and has had 120 GB's, 60 CT's, 14 Goals and 7 Assists in the last 2 years. Hubbard is good, but most colleges would take Greene in a heart beat
ShenandoahLaxDad

Post by ShenandoahLaxDad »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:54 am
Asgot wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:08 am

game day
FOGO advantage York

You are crazy if you don't think York's Ethan Greene is best defender on the field. Heck, he is probably the best player on the field. 6'5 225 and has had 120 GB's, 60 CT's, 14 Goals and 7 Assists in the last 2 years. Hubbard is good, but most colleges would take Greene in a heart beat
I don't believe the gap is as big as you are insinuating. Look at a guy like Tyler Gallagher in 21' for Lynchburg. Had 2 goals, 52 GB, 22 CT in 21 games. Yes, one is an LSM & one was at close, but stats don't tell the whole story. Gallagher was 6'3, 215. Both prototypical size in a D1 defenseman. But, Greene plays in a conference where there is little, to no competition on the same level as York. On paper, Greene looks like the guy you would take but I think most would take Gallagher.

Hubbard had 48 GB & 19 CT in 22', very similar numbers to Gallagher, who was a first team AA & probably should have been DPOY that year. Factor in that most teams initiate their offenses from the midfield & Hubbard doesn't play in the middle of the field (where a lot of CT's & GB's happen) it is easy to see why the numbers are different. While both players are great in their own right, I just feel that for defenseman especially, stats don't tell the whole story.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

ShenandoahLaxDad wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:05 pm I don't believe the gap is as big as you are insinuating. Look at a guy like Tyler Gallagher in 21' for Lynchburg. Had 2 goals, 52 GB, 22 CT in 21 games. Yes, one is an LSM & one was at close, but stats don't tell the whole story. Gallagher was 6'3, 215. Both prototypical size in a D1 defenseman. But, Greene plays in a conference where there is little, to no competition on the same level as York. On paper, Greene looks like the guy you would take but I think most would take Gallagher.

Hubbard had 48 GB & 19 CT in 22', very similar numbers to Gallagher, who was a first team AA & probably should have been DPOY that year. Factor in that most teams initiate their offenses from the midfield & Hubbard doesn't play in the middle of the field (where a lot of CT's & GB's happen) it is easy to see why the numbers are different. While both players are great in their own right, I just feel that for defenseman especially, stats don't tell the whole story.

I wouldn’t put too much stock in that LSM positional/statistical advantage idea. 2022 was Greene’s first year at LSM…

As for strength of competition, last year when York faced #3 CNU in the elite 8, CNU lead the nation in GBs per game. York out ground balled them- and was lead that day in GBs by… you guessed it, Ethan Greene.

Both are great players in their own right, on that much I will agree. However stats don’t tell the whole story, they are the story. Who won the game? Check the score. Who scored the most? Check that stat. Who picked up the most GBs? Check that stat. Etc etc.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”