Semifinal No. 2 -- Maryland v. BC 5/27 -- 5:00 pm

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

How did Maryland choke this game away?

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

With Maryland leading 16-14 and 6:58 left in the 4th quarter, the Terps won the next three draw controls, but each time, BC caused the turnover and scored.

The first draw control resulted in a successful clear but then #11 defender Aiden Peduzzi just kind of lost her way once she got over the restraining line (ending up with a crease violation??) and Weeks caused the turnover which resulted in North scoring to pull BC within one.

Maryland 16-15 5:16 left.

Maryland wins the ensuing draw, calls timeout, then Weeks stripped Cordingley for a turnover and North scores down the other end to tie it.

Tie score 16-16 3:06 left.

Maryland wins draw control and clears successfully but yet again, BC causes the turnover when Leubecker kind of lost her way and her purpose and coughed the ball up in a crowd. Schleicher scooped the GB, BC cleared successfully, Weeks scores the game winner with 18 seconds left. 17-16 BC. Ball game.

Maryland had this game but they got nervous and blew it. For all Sterling's brilliance and tactical soundness over the course of the season, she couldn't make the saves needed to preserve the game down the stretch. For all Reese's brilliance, her players made clueless decisions down the stretch to lose the game for the Terps.

Sometimes you just have to wait until the other team blinks. BC did an outstanding job of that last night.
Bart

Re: How did Maryland choke this game away?

Post by Bart »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:55 am With Maryland leading 16-14 and 6:58 left in the 4th quarter, the Terps won the next three draw controls, but each time, BC caused the turnover and scored.

The first draw control resulted in a successful clear but then #11 defender Aiden Peduzzi just kind of lost her way once she got over the restraining line (ending up with a crease violation??) and Weeks caused the turnover which resulted in North scoring to pull BC within one.

Maryland wins the ensuing draw, calls timeout, then Weeks stripped Cordingley for a turnover and North scores down the other end to tie it.

Maryland wins draw control and clears successfully but yet again, BC causes the turnover when Leubecker kind of lost her way and her purpose and coughed the ball up in a crowd. Schleicher scooped the GB, BC cleared successfully, Weeks scores the game winner with 18 seconds left. 17-16 BC. Ball game.

Maryland had this game but they got nervous and blew it. For all Sterling's brilliance and tactical soundness over the course of the season, she couldn't make the saves needed to preserve the game down the stretch. For all Reese's brilliance, her players made clueless decisions down the stretch to lose the game for the Terps.

Sometimes you just have to wait until the other team blinks. BC did an outstanding job of that last night.
Certainly would not call it a choke. In the shot clock era with 7 minutes left that is a bunch of time left. BC made the plays down the stretch that they needed to make. Lacrosse is a game of mistakes, no one plays a mistake free game. In close games like this the last team to make a mistake usually is not the victor. Seems like it is the case here.....no choke.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Bart wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:07 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:55 am With Maryland leading 16-14 and 6:58 left in the 4th quarter, the Terps won the next three draw controls, but each time, BC caused the turnover and scored.

Certainly would not call it a choke. In the shot clock era with 7 minutes left that is a bunch of time left. BC made the plays down the stretch that they needed to make. Lacrosse is a game of mistakes, no one plays a mistake free game. In close games like this the last team to make a mistake usually is not the victor. Seems like it is the case here.....no choke.
I strongly disagree. If you watch the last 7 minutes of the game, Maryland was the nervous team that didn’t take care of the ball and/or make good decisions down the stretch. That’s a choke in my book. They take care of the ball and make smart decisions, they win.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

I agree. The game was back and forth and the teams were evenly matched. It also just discredits what a great job BC did. I read this on another forum once re: choking. "It's the answer to our kids and our parents who, god bless them, didn't have time to watch all the games and didn't understand that our side was just out-played, out-prepared and probably out-of-luck. Choking is what happens when the reality is sufficiently complex or elusive and a simpler, more accessible narrative is needed to fill the void."
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Semifinal No. 2 -- Maryland v. BC 5/27 -- 5:00 pm

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Not a choke. Here again, your chosen sports radio narrative simply diminishes BC’s effort and skill and coaching.
Bart

Post by Bart »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:18 am

I strongly disagree. If you watch the last 7 minutes of the game, Maryland was the nervous team that didn’t take care of the ball and/or make good decisions down the stretch. That’s a choke in my book. They take care of the ball and make smart decisions, they win.
Of course it is. You want to label it, label it what ever you want. That seems to be what you like to do, label things I disagree. Mistakes made at the end are the ones remembered. It is part of the game. BC made the plays they needed to make at the end. Maryland did not. Simple as simple for me but I could be in the minority here, IDK.

Sometimes sh!t like this happens. Play/coach in enough games and you will ultimately end up on either side of this coin. By indicating this is a choke you indicate that it is less to do with BC's excellent play down the stretch rather UMd getting "nervous" and just handing them the thing. I see it as excellent play by the Eagles and a couple of costly plays by the Terps. Again, sh!t like this happens. If you play/coach in enough games you end up on either side of the coin.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Bart wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:46 am Simple as simple for me but I could be in the minority here, IDK.
I doubt it
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:42 am Not a choke. Here again, your chosen sports radio narrative simply diminishes BC’s effort and skill and coaching.
Definitely a choke. Both storylines can be true without discounting the other.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:48 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:42 am Not a choke. Here again, your chosen sports radio narrative simply diminishes BC’s effort and skill and coaching.
I was just expressing my opinion. I’m not trying to change yours. I had two middle schoolers already and know better.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:39 am I actually liked the occasional birds-eye view from the camera hovering over the field. It gave the viewer a terrific view of the spacing, the overloads, and other gimmicks an offense has to try and a defense has to contend with. You could see, for example, BC trying to stretch the length of the slides Maryland would need to make to help, and then how BC moved the ball off the slide/double. Just kind of fun to see. Great production, helped by the four very best teams in the land laying it alllll out.

I thought Maryland had this game won, and managed down the stretch.
I also enjoyed the modified birds eye view. Nice new wrinkle which added to the broadcast.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:53 am
I was just expressing my opinion. I’m not trying to change yours. I had two middle schoolers already and know better.
:lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

njbill wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:00 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:53 am
It never ceases to amaze me how a simple disagreement turns your chosen narrative to personal insults. That's middle school.
Bart

Post by Bart »

My last thought on this.

My youngest princess who just graduated from college just graced us with her presence at the crack of 11 am. We watched the game together yesterday and I asked her if she thought UMd chocked. Her answer pretty well summed it up better than I could:

"No, BC just played better a better fourth quarter"
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:18 am

suffolk

Post by suffolk »

Bart wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:36 am
harflax wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:33 pm
suffolk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:51 pm Inexplicable that Maryland does not shut off North in the late 4th qtr. You can’t llet her get the ball. Good adjustments by BC shutting off Libby May.
Totally agree with this. Not shutting off North made no sense.
Certainly seems to not make any sense on the surface. But, from what I have seen UMd rarely, if ever, shuts a player off. They have a slide and recover philosophy that seems to work with them. If they now go to shut off North perhaps the slide package changes and they have not practiced it enough? If you do not practice this type of thing a bit it certainly wouldn't make the coaches comfortable doing it in the end. I guess it is pick you poison and UMd chose the wrong poison to pick.
End of game situations on offense are about getting the ball in your top player's hands. If I am playing defense, I am doing everything I can to deny North the ball. Cathy Reese and Kennis the defensive coach are tremendous coaches. In this instance in my opinion they made an egregious error.

I also think Coach Reese not scheduling a top team like UNC, Syracuse, or BC during the season came back to bite them. I know per fact they declined UNC's requests to play. I am not sure what happened with the annual Syracuse game. Maryland had not played in a close game against a top team all year. It showed in the last seven minutes on both ends of the field. The girls appeared nervous and tentative. BC on the other hand had been in these close game situations during the season and they played like it.

Maryland's roster is absolutely loaded going into next year. They will also be very motivated. Right now, I don't see another roster close to the talent level of the Terps.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Bart wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:22 am My youngest princess who just graduated from college just graced us with her presence at the crack of 11 am.

You and seacoaster are on a roll this morning.

Let me know where you guys will be appearing next weekend.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

suffolk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:36 am
suffolk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:51 pm Inexplicable that Maryland does not shut off North in the late 4th qtr. You can’t llet her get the ball. Good adjustments by BC shutting off Libby May.
Certainly seems to not make any sense on the surface. But, from what I have seen UMd rarely, if ever, shuts a player off. They have a slide and recover philosophy that seems to work with them. If they now go to shut off North perhaps the slide package changes and they have not practiced it enough? If you do not practice this type of thing a bit it certainly wouldn't make the coaches comfortable doing it in the end. I guess it is pick you poison and UMd chose the wrong poison to pick.
End of game situations on offense are about getting the ball in your top player's hands. If I am playing defense, I am doing everything I can to deny North the ball. Cathy Reese and Kennis the defensive coach are tremendous coaches. In this instance in my opinion they made an egregious error.

I also think Coach Reese not scheduling a top team like UNC, Syracuse, or BC during the season came back to bite them. I know per fact they declined UNC's requests to play. I am not sure what happened with the annual Syracuse game. Maryland had not played in a close game against a top team all year. It showed in the last seven minutes on both ends of the field. The girls appeared nervous and tentative. BC on the other hand had been in these close game situations during the season and they played like it.

Maryland's roster is absolutely loaded going into next year. They will also be very motivated. Right now, I don't see another roster close to the talent level of the Terps.
Doesn't MD lose their best attacker, best middie and best defender next year and you are saying no roster "is close". Syracuse losses close to nobody and get 3 amazing players back from injury. BC loses CN and CT but likely will have everyone back including one of best incoming goalies in the country. On top of that who knows how the transfer portal plays out.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Lax101 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:47 pm

Doesn't MD lose their best attacker, best middie and best defender next year and you are saying no roster "is close". Syracuse losses close to nobody and get 3 amazing players back from injury. BC loses CN and CT but likely will have everyone back including one of best incoming goalies in the country. On top of that who knows how the transfer portal plays out.
I thought Bosco had another year? Both teams will return a lot of strong players who aren't currently superstars
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Lax101 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:47 pm

Bosco is coming back next year. They also have another AA defender transferring in for her 5th year. They also have the #1 recruiting class coming in and get back two of their top freshman who missed this season due to injury. I’d say they’re quite stacked. Yes they have to replace Rory but there’s plenty of talent there to do that
jff97

Post by jff97 »

MD, BC and Syracuse look to be the top teams for next year before the transfer portal, but if Bosco is back I think that puts MD above those two. Add in the Albany transfer and that D could be really good again. Obviously Cordingley will be hard to replace, but I think replacing Grace Griffin could be tougher. Knew her role as a 2 way middie, appeared to be a great leader, and was the last holdover from the 2019 title team so she knew what it took to get back there.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”