Transfer Portal 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
JeremyCuse

Re: Transfer Portal 2023

Post by JeremyCuse »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:54 pm Should we make anything of the fact that no Hopkins players have entered the transfer portal yet, or is it simply too early?

DocBarrister

P.S. And no wussy complaints about jinxes. :roll:
Heard Epstein is gone just a matter of the announcement.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JeremyCuse wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:58 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:50 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:44 pm Simmons to Cuse. Hearing SU will be hitting the portal hard and is also involved with other big names.
I mean if they’ve got kirst and Simmons, GTown has Hinks and Dordevic and UVA locked McConvey in early those three appear to have a head start. GTown could stop with the two they’ve got and be good to go.
Agreed on G-town, hard not to like what they have done. UVA getting McConvey is a big under the radar get, he's going to put up monster points if healthy next year. Lot of potential help still out there and I've heard several other names are likely to enter over the next few weeks. A certain grad transfer midfielder from Bart would like pretty good in a different shade of blue and orange.
Now you wanna fight? My 7yr only daughter only listens to pop music and dressed up as material girl Madonna last fall and I’ve been indoctrinating her in Hobart so if she see Derrek Madonna in a Cuse uniform I promise I’ll bring her to the dome and you can deal with that!

In all seriousness we have a generic new masters program Jamie Archers kid did as hoping to throw our newly allowed scholly money at Derrek to stay but there’s this feeling he may want to go to Richmond and play with his younger brother Lance who is a Soph there. They went to ESM not far from the dome though…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
bananas

Post by bananas »

dordevic leaving may have awakened sleepy gate.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

JeremyCuse wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:59 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:54 pm Should we make anything of the fact that no Hopkins players have entered the transfer portal yet, or is it simply too early?

DocBarrister

P.S. And no wussy complaints about jinxes. :roll:
Heard Epstein is gone just a matter of the announcement.
That would be disappointing but not at all surprising.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

JeremyCuse wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:26 pm
ALaudico7 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:25 pm "@CuseMLAX freshman middie Matteo Corsi has entered the NCAA's transfer portal, per a source. A former 4-star from Michigan, Corsi tallied 5g/2a in 12 games for the Orange. Had 2G vs. Duke and got the start a week later at ND, but did not dress vs. the Irish in the season finale."

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/15 ... gr%5Etweet
Played middie at Cuse but have heard he wants to play attack which wasn't going to happen at SU moving forward. Tons of potential for Corsi if he can find the right fit. Would be a nice grab for someone if he doesn't change his mind.
Perhaps. He comes with some baggage and my hunch is a lot of coaches will shy away from him. That’s why he was not recruited by many out of HS. I would not be surprised to hear he was dismissed from the Syracuse team,
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Without speculating too much on Corsi one has to wonder about kids who play team sports that are non revenue and products of IMG in general. I mean “student athlete” is not what I think when I think Nick Bollwteri. (I think of an old dude abusing hot unseats Russian tennis girls personally when that name comes up)
lorin

Post by lorin »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:07 am
ALaudico7 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:25 pm "@CuseMLAX freshman middie Matteo Corsi has entered the NCAA's transfer portal, per a source. A former 4-star from Michigan, Corsi tallied 5g/2a in 12 games for the Orange. Had 2G vs. Duke and got the start a week later at ND, but did not dress vs. the Irish in the season finale."

Played middie at Cuse but have heard he wants to play attack which wasn't going to happen at SU moving forward. Tons of potential for Corsi if he can find the right fit. Would be a nice grab for someone if he doesn't change his mind.
Perhaps. He comes with some baggage and my hunch is a lot of coaches will shy away from him. That’s why he was not recruited by many out of HS. I would not be surprised to hear he was dismissed from the Syracuse team,
Wow some strong Accusations without proof for a kid.maybe he knows the chosen ones are coming.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Agreed, speculating on a kid being bounced is a bit far without context or inside info. More fair to say coaches don’t like kids who are situation shopping, notwithstanding the fact that some (many) would shop themselves to the highest bidder given the chance every day of the week and twice in Sunday (how many gigs has Cassesse interviewed for?)
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Well you could be right as he didn't dress the last game against ND and wasn't hurt. To bad if true as the kid has talent. Wonder if he looks to transfer back home to Michigan.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:08 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:44 pm Simmons to Cuse. Hearing SU will be hitting the portal hard and is also involved with other big names.
I mean if they’ve got kirst and Simmons, GTown has Hinks and Dordevic and UVA locked McConvey in early those three appear to have a head start. GTown could stop with the two they’ve got and be good to go.
Agreed on G-town, hard not to like what they have done. UVA getting McConvey is a big under the radar get, he's going to put up monster points if healthy next year. Lot of potential help still out there and I've heard several other names are likely to enter over the next few weeks. A certain grad transfer midfielder from Bart would like pretty good in a different shade of blue and orange.
Now you wanna fight? My 7yr only daughter only listens to pop music and dressed up as material girl Madonna last fall and I’ve been indoctrinating her in Hobart so if she see Derrek Madonna in a Cuse uniform I promise I’ll bring her to the dome and you can deal with that!

In all seriousness we have a generic new masters program Jamie Archers kid did as hoping to throw our newly allowed scholly money at Derrek to stay but there’s this feeling he may want to go to Richmond and play with his younger brother Lance who is a Soph there. They went to ESM not far from the dome though…
Ya I am surprised Hobart took this long to get a grad program or two going. Not only for their own players but to be a destination for the Upstate, CNY, and Western NY kids looking to spend a grad year back home. Not exactly a hardship to be a Grad guy on Seneca Lake and the Fingerlakes in general in April and May.

Ya Madonna seems likely to end up at Richmond but as a long range shooter I think he would fit in well with SU for a year assuming he can stay healthy which has been an issue.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JeremyCuse wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:15 am

Ya I am surprised Hobart took this long to get a grad program or two going. Not only for their own players but to be a destination for the Upstate, CNY, and Western NY kids looking to spend a grad year back home. Not exactly a hardship to be a Grad guy on Seneca Lake and the Fingerlakes in general in April and May.

Ya Madonna seems likely to end up at Richmond but as a long range shooter I think he would fit in well with SU for a year assuming he can stay healthy which has been an issue.
The school hung hard on the liberal arts, “we’re a family here” (which if you hear a business manager talk about their enterprise as a family RUN), you come to learn to think spot. Ran off a wildly talented and effective president after a year because the faculty didn’t like his professional approach and unwound 3-5yrs of growing enrollment shrinking back to 1800-2000 kids.

Madonna has been hurt a lot but tough, played 2-3 games this year with cracked ribs. We’ve had wayy too many injuries the last 5-10yrs on the team so having a better strength and conditioning program and related could do wonders for a kid like him.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:30 am

The school hung hard on the liberal arts, “we’re a family here” (which if you hear a business manager talk about their enterprise as a family RUN), you come to learn to think spot. Ran off a wildly talented and effective president after a year because the faculty didn’t like his professional approach and unwound 3-5yrs of growing enrollment shrinking back to 1800-2000 kids.

Madonna has been hurt a lot but tough, played 2-3 games this year with cracked ribs. We’ve had wayy too many injuries the last 5-10yrs on the team so having a better strength and conditioning program and related could do wonders for a kid like him.
As a Syracuse fan I always felt Hobart never really took advantage of all it had to potentially offer from a lax standpoint which may have been due to a lack of $$ but the lower enrollment seems like a mistake. Obviously its not going to approach 10K undergrads but there has to be a vision for the current landscape and ability to grow versus trying to recreate the 1980's. Sounds like Bart is going to full scholarships though which is a move in the right direction.
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

Marcus Hudgins enters the portal with 2 years of eligibility left

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... rtal/59626
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Seemed like you were plugged into PSU land, might want to check with your sources because I heard that might be where he’s headed
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JeremyCuse wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:59 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:30 am

As a Syracuse fan I always felt Hobart never really took advantage of all it had to potentially offer from a lax standpoint which may have been due to a lack of $$ but the lower enrollment seems like a mistake. Obviously its not going to approach 10K undergrads but there has to be a vision for the current landscape and ability to grow versus trying to recreate the 1980's. Sounds like Bart is going to full scholarships though which is a move in the right direction.
Still controlled by faculty and alum within a 90 min radius so I’ve lowered my expectations for professionalism and institutional excellence driven top down from the administration from the myriad of ncaa administrative/compliance issues in the 2000s, to the issues around the President prior to the last one (Hersh-who was run out of Trinity after leaving Bart in record time), to the building of an expensive and poor return performing arts center when the city is limiting the geographic expansion of the school (legacy town-gown issues), to the NYT BS story, to zero endowment growth for 20yrs ($20mm, or 10% total, from 2000-2021) and on and on.

Not clear on how much money we have for schollies at the moment but it should help on depth and winning an occasional beauty contest I expect. The one bummer is with the split division situation now anyone who gets a nickel of non merit aid is excluded from playing a d3 sport. Ie no more football/lacrosse players which was always great to have.

With respect to the portal, one wonders if Hobart can, or even should, try to participate in it as far as graduate/5th years go. Otherwise the portal doesn’t really change the situation for them compared with when they’ve got transfers in the past (Brendan Saylor, Jamie Kirk and Mark Williamson being the best ones I can recall and two of those were 10-20yrs ago). Seems like the money should be used instead of the fifth years to go to JUCO/OCC kids (Chuck Wilbur is an alum), too Pickoff at similar but on upswing programs a top recruit when a coach leaves like maybe someone they were in the hunt for who was a prized recruit at St Johns or Prov, or just push over the top on someone we’re competing with like a Lehigh for (Dakota Fierman being an example, current FR at Lehigh who played a lot for them this year if undersized).
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

ALaudico7 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:35 am Marcus Hudgins enters the portal with 2 years of eligibility left

That's interesting. He's a stud. Will be a big pickup for someone.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

nyjay wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:46 am
ALaudico7 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:35 am Marcus Hudgins enters the portal with 2 years of eligibility left

didn't see that coming. army must've loosened up their rules some (> 2 years?). gotta be a funky situation.
looks like the holy cross kid bumps down to #2 prospect.
maryland, duke or notre dame.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:50 am

didn't see that coming. army must've loosened up their rules some (> 2 years?). gotta be a funky situation.
yeah, something going on there, but no idea what. he's from West Genny (didn't realize that). going home to Cuse?
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

He's from the Syracuse suburbs, went to West Genny High School, I suspect SU will be all over this.
SU didn't recruit him all that hard out of HS though so not sure if there are hard feelings there or not. Lots of competition for sure.
lorin

Post by lorin »

JeremyCuse wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:02 pm

He's from the Syracuse suburbs, went to West Genny High School, I suspect SU will be all over this.
SU didn't recruit him all that hard out of HS though so not sure if there are hard feelings there or not. Lots of competition for sure.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”