Maryland 2022 National Champions

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PulpExposure

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by PulpExposure »

AOD wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:08 am In the last 4-5 years he's had three other highly rated southern NJ recruits that didn't make it past fall ball (2 from Young's alma mater (including one OSU flip) and one from Hun).
That's true - you're right the one spot he does seem to recruit from more than others is St Augies. The Hun kid was a flip from Princeton (and played in my son's travel program), but never made it as far as I can tell (he was supposed to actually coach my kid's team in the summer but didn't do that either, or else I'd have asked him what happened lol).

But considering how most of the talent and the best lacrosse schools are in North Jersey, he doesn't really hit those prestigious ones much; like Delbarton, Don Bosco, Bergen Catholic, Seton Hall Prep, Pingry, Lawrenceville, or even the top publics like Montgomery etc.

My son plays for a big group 4 public in the South, and I can admit that even the best south teams (St Augies, Lenape/Shawnee/Moorestown/Haddonfield in the south) usually get blasted by those northern teams when they play them. There is just more talent up there (more people, much stronger lacrosse culture, etc.)
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Maryland Athletics is announcing a new initiative where student-athletes who have received their undergraduate degrees will be recognized with a special commemorative patch on their uniforms for the remainder of their careers. Below is a list for lacrosse

Jonathan Donville Men's Lacrosse B.A., in History and Government Cornell
Keegan Khan Men's Lacrosse B.S. in Finance Villanova
Drew Morris Men's Lacrosse B.A., in Communication Maryland
Owen Prybylski Men's Lacrosse B.A., Economics and Communications Villanova
Roman Puglise Men's Lacrosse B.S., in Finance Maryland
Matt Rahill Men's Lacrosse B.A., in Communication Maryland
Alex Smith Men's Lacrosse B.S., in Criminology and Criminal Justice Maryland
Logan Wisnauskas Men's Lacrosse B.A., in American Studies Maryland
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:19 pm Maryland Athletics is announcing a new initiative where student-athletes who have received their undergraduate degrees will be recognized with a special commemorative patch on their uniforms for the remainder of their careers. Below is a list for lacrosse

I am sorry, but that is super lame. Does Tillman think that a patch will help attract more graduate transfers? Seriously lame.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:22 pm
AreaLax wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:19 pm Maryland Athletics is announcing a new initiative where student-athletes who have received their undergraduate degrees will be recognized with a special commemorative patch on their uniforms for the remainder of their careers. Below is a list for lacrosse

I am sorry, but that is super lame. Does Tillman think that a patch will help attract more graduate transfers? Seriously lame.
Agreed...maybe a patch from the transferred school would look cooler. ;) :lol: BTW, why is Bubba not on the list?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

I agree. Not a good look to have a patch for something not earned at MD. Even for the MD grads, it’s only showing who stayed for a fifth year and the fifth year players without a patch are labeled negatively. Sounds like something created at the admin level without much vetting. Yuck! Now if you want to have a patch for graduating in three years then that’s something to recognize.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:48 pm BTW, why is Bubba not on the list?
Fall graduate.

DeMaio, from what I've heard, isn't enrolled in the fall but will return in the winter.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

This is MD Athletics doing this not Tillman.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:26 pm

on the list of things that concern me nowadays, this one would have to pay good money to be added to the bottom.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

And if Tillman doesn't wanna be Ralph FreezedOUT-gen (fired ) he should just leave "uniform" decisions alone .

He did wear that "equality" shirt during the playoffs.

Told to wear it, or did/does he really mean it. ? whatever "it" is.

B/c, still seeing economically "gifted" lax players on the upcoming party invites. (rich kids )

So, the equality must be about something else. .......
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:40 pm

on the list of things that concern me nowadays, this one would have to pay good money to be added to the bottom.
Comeon....you don't wanna see the art work for the patches.?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:59 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:40 pm

Comeon....you don't wanna see the art work for the patches.?
Maybe they are being paid to do it?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Of all the things to spark a debate on this board, this might be the silliest. It's a freaking patch
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Kikin

Post by Kikin »

You will need a microscope to notice the patch. Seems like a silly waste of time and money, really not relevant in any meaningful way, negatively or positively.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:54 pm Of all the things to spark a debate on this board, this might be the silliest. It's a freaking patch
We're bored and anxious for anything lacrosse.
~Livy
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Have heard from a few people with direct knowledge that DeMaio will enroll in the winter ahead of the spring semester.

So the Terps lose only Bernhardt from the offense and Grill from the defense. The entire rope unit returns (although I've heard Alex Smith had knee surgery this summer but is expected to return in time for the season).

Subtract Bernhardt but add Khan and Donville. I have no idea how all of the pieces fit on offense. The amount of talent is absurd.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Wheels wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:27 pm Have heard from a few people with direct knowledge that DeMaio will enroll in the winter ahead of the spring semester.

So the Terps lose only Bernhardt from the offense and Grill from the defense. The entire rope unit returns (although I've heard Alex Smith had knee surgery this summer but is expected to return in time for the season).

Subtract Bernhardt but add Khan and Donville. I have no idea how all of the pieces fit on offense. The amount of talent is absurd.
There’s no question that the talent pool is deep, they are the heavy favorites in the B1G and likely a top 5-7 team, or better. The question I have is who is the truly elite guy? Most championship teams have one on the offensive end. Maryland has been fortunate to have that guy for the last 9 years. 2013 (Haus, Bernhardt, Chanenchuk) 2014-17 (Rambo and Heacock), 2018 (Kelly), 2019-21 (Bernhardt).

I think that there are some guys who can maybe do it. Maybe…, But someone will have to do it for them to be a legitimate title contender.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I was wondering if you guys would even notice if we had grant Hansen come to Geneva. Not on roster I believe and just brother is playing football at Bart so we will happily take the burden off your hands and see what’s up with him.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:09 pm
Wheels wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:27 pm Have heard from a few people with direct knowledge that DeMaio will enroll in the winter ahead of the spring semester.

There’s no question that the talent pool is deep, they are the heavy favorites in the B1G and likely a top 5-7 team, or better. The question I have is who is the truly elite guy? Most championship teams have one on the offensive end. Maryland has been fortunate to have that guy for the last 9 years. 2013 (Haus, Bernhardt, Chanenchuk) 2014-17 (Rambo and Heacock), 2018 (Kelly), 2019-21 (Bernhardt).

I think that there are some guys who can maybe do it. Maybe…, But someone will have to do it for them to be a legitimate title contender.
I'd put money on Long being the guy who can always draw a slide. He's not the goal scorer that Bernhardt was, but he's the best pure passer that Maryland has had in a long, long time. It's going to be interesting to see what Khan does with so much talent around him.

Long, Fairman, Khan, Malever, and Donville can all draw slides. With an entire rope unit that likes to run coming back, a goalie that can hit outlet passes, and all of that talent on offense, It's going to be the hardest offense to game plan against. And we haven't even mentioned the defense, which is going to be really good again this season.

Think you gotta have UVA at 1 and MD at 2.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Wheels wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:49 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:09 pm

I'd put money on Long being the guy who can always draw a slide. He's not the goal scorer that Bernhardt was, but he's the best pure passer that Maryland has had in a long, long time. It's going to be interesting to see what Khan does with so much talent around him.

Long, Fairman, Khan, Malever, and Donville can all draw slides. With an entire rope unit that likes to run coming back, a goalie that can hit outlet passes, and all of that talent on offense, It's going to be the hardest offense to game plan against. And we haven't even mentioned the defense, which is going to be really good again this season.

Think you gotta have UVA at 1 and MD at 2.
Agreed it’s a very good group. But right now I don’t see the guy that drops 10pts vs UM in a B1G tournament game, 5Gs against Notre Dame, 7pts in the semifinals vs Duke; all while being the focal point of every scouting report. This is the first time in a decade where it’s pretty hard to say Maryland has a player like that.

Tillman deserves the benefit of the doubt, but there’s a lot to be said for having an alpha. Shellenberger, Gray, Bernhardt, Ament- they make a huge difference.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”