Big Ten 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Big Ten 2022

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:39 pm A comedian needs to know his audience.
Oh yeah, well what do you bench?!?!?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Looks like a high school field and I fail to see where the $21.5 million is going to but it's great for the sport. Also puts all these other schools that won't go d1 to shame. If ohio-not a lacrosse hotbed by any means can raise $21 million dollars for a stadium like this, it begs the question of why other schools like Boston College, Northwestern, Stanford, Texas, can't have d1 mens teams.

$21.5 million privately raised for a lacrosse stadium in ohio. What a time to be alive.
AOD

Post by AOD »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:12 am it begs the question of why other schools like Boston College, Northwestern, Stanford, Texas, can't have d1 mens teams.

The answer to the question begged is Title IX.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

If ohio can raise $21 million for something that looks like a suburban rec league enterprise those schools can field mens d1 teams.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:50 am If ohio can raise $21 million for something that looks like a suburban rec league enterprise those schools can field mens d1 teams.
Homewood is kind of a POS.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:00 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:50 am If ohio can raise $21 million for something that looks like a suburban rec league enterprise those schools can field mens d1 teams.
Gasp!!! Homewood is not a POS. It was built in 1906. People don't call Wrigley and Fenway a POS. Plus with Cordish, the lax teams have fantastic facilities.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

AOD wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:46 am
jhu06 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:12 am it begs the question of why other schools like Boston College, Northwestern, Stanford, Texas, can't have d1 mens teams.

The answer to the question begged is Title IX.
BC has already said No to men's D1, and that was after a bunch of alums offered to pay for it. With Title IX and college's increased interest in diversity, no way those schools are adding a D1 program that primarily attracts upper income white males. (Money is not the issue for those named.) Utah will remain the lone program in the Pac12 (or its successor) until the alum's money runs out.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Mr. Insider needs a bidet in his lacrosse stadium restrooms

OSU's new field is 100 times better than the Shoe and will be a much better experience for both fans in attendance and TV viewers. I have nothing bad to say about it. I'm glad they're getting out of their empty football stadium and into a venue that's more appropriate for the sport. 500 people in a 2,000 person stadium looks and feels a whole lot better than 500 in a 100,000 seat colossus.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ggait

Post by ggait »

:roll:

Title ix is the second most important reason why D1 mlax expansion in the P5 never going to happen. The first, and much more important reason, is $$$.

Because no P5 school wants to spend limited dollars to add new non-revenue sports. They'd prefer to cut non-revenue teams. Schools add non-revenue womens sports only because they have to. Not because they want to. So the ONLY reason to add P5 D1 mlax is if some donor hands you $10+ million to endow the new mlax team plus the one or two new womens teams that would be required for T9 compliance.

Which is why there have been exactly three Power 5 schools that have added D1 mlax in the last 40 years (ND 1981, Michigan 2011, Utah 2019). And three P5 programs (BC, NCST, MSU) shuttered over that time. So ZERO net growth for 40 years!

Over the next ten years, it is more likely that the number of P5 D1 mlax teams will shrink rather than expand.

Nice looking field. 2,000 seats -- pretty much the same as what's been done elsewhere at places like DU, ND, UMich.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

hmmm wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:30 pm
Gasp!!! Homewood is not a POS. It was built in 1906. People don't call Wrigley and Fenway a POS. Plus with Cordish, the lax teams have fantastic facilities.
Cordish is not as impressive as it once was. People have passed that facility by.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:57 pm
Cordish is not as impressive as it once was. People have passed that facility by.
Cordish comes with 130 years of storied tradition on the sports most iconic venue. Go on google type in a new basketball, baseball or football stadium and read all the glitzy headlines from when it was built then realize it was demolished 20 years ago and fenway, wrigley, lambeau and msg are still there.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:39 pm
Cordish comes with 130 years of storied tradition on the sports most iconic venue. Go on google type in a new basketball, baseball or football stadium and read all the glitzy headlines from when it was built then realize it was demolished 20 years ago and fenway, wrigley, lambeau and msg are still there.
Got a good one for you, and I can’t stand the Yankees.

The old Yankee stadium had pools of standing urine and it was in the atmosphere. Often would leave around 5-6th inning of games from packages a buddy and I split of games and would finish at the bar across the street in the middle of the Bronx (it aint Hunts Point or Bainbridge but hardly Shangri La unless you mean it actually looks like the city FI Khatmandu which I’ve been to..).

The new billion dollar stadium was up the year before I left NY. Took my dad to the only game he saw in the new stadium the night before I moved to Atlanta (then dropped him off and met up with a friend for a midnight jam session hosted by The Roots at Highline Ballroom they started doing when they took the band gig w Jimmy Fallon). There’s no soul, no qualitative value to this new shell my dad couldn’t even fake his disappointment as a guy who was at the game where Tony Lazzeri (I believe but it’s his story) fubarred Herb Scores career by knocking his eye out with a line drive relegating Score to a anecdote when Dwight Golden blew up his rookie year in the 80s.

But here’s the thing. New entries into anything often tend to believe that all aspects of their predecessors is replicable but there’s a spirit in the ether that can’t be manufactured.

I will go back to resenting the NCAA for not allowing us to give scholarships and pointing at you guys now...
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I don’t see how that makes it nice. That’s great Hopkins is so storied, but kids don’t care that much and now it’s becoming a D3 school trying to keep up with the growing resources of the rest of the B1G. I don’t see kids lining up to play at UCLA just because they play in the rose bowl. Homewood feels like it hasn’t been updated in years, aside from the lacrosse community in Baltimore, it just isn’t that great of a venue. I really couldn’t care less about who used to play there in their hay day. New Yankee stadium > old yankee stadium.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

On the least sentence no way no how.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:07 pm
I don’t see how that makes it nice. That’s great Hopkins is so storied, but kids don’t care that much and now it’s becoming a D3 school trying to keep up with the growing resources of the rest of the B1G. I don’t see kids lining up to play at UCLA just because they play in the rose bowl. Homewood feels like it hasn’t been updated in years, aside from the lacrosse community in Baltimore, it just isn’t that great of a venue. I really couldn’t care less about who used to play there in their hay day. New Yankee stadium > old yankee stadium.
There's no better atmosphere in the whole sport of lacrosse than a Hopkins/MD game at Homewood. I don't even think that's debatable. If you've attended one of those games and don't agree I don't think there is anything anyone can say that would change your mind on Homewood.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

hmmm wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:24 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:07 pm
There's no better atmosphere in the whole sport of lacrosse than a Hopkins/MD game at Homewood. I don't even think that's debatable. If you've attended one of those games and don't agree I don't think there is anything anyone can say that would change your mind on Homewood.
I mean I’ve seen one or two upstate NY situations that I think can throw their hat in the mix but I’m still on the side of atmosphere here.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Of course I agree on Homewood Field (but I am biased).

I am also old enough to point out that MSG is not on Madison Square.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:56 pm Of course I agree on Homewood Field (but I am biased).

I am also old enough to point out that MSG is not on Madison Square.
No but the the OG shake shack was. And 11 Madison is wildly overrated. And the flatiron building is weird when you walk by it every day. (I worked at 23 Madison for a few years a while back).

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”