UVA LACROSSE 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rasheed

Re: UVA LACROSSE 2021

Post by rasheed »

it would appear that we have a bit of depth...how does the Army look compared to years past?
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

i don't know half of UVa's players who have played today
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Good W.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Gavin looked solid in the cage--especially for a freshman. Be interesting to find out why Rode was out today..
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:02 pm Gavin looked solid in the cage--especially for a freshman. Be interesting to find out why Rode was out today..
Stupid test inaccuracies.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
molo

Post by molo »

After making no saves in the first quarter,Gavin stabilized and should be ok against Loyalty if Rode is still out. Aitken played more today, running some with the first midfield but mostly as part of a mix and match second. He didn’t play EMO, which was the starting midfield and attack—Shellenberger, Garno, Bertrand, Laviano, Cormier, and Moore. Shellenberger played both middie and attack, several times paired with Moore while one or both big lefties were at midfield. Both Shellenberger and Bertrand took their fair share of face-off wings, Moore even taking a wing to start the second half.
Dickson and Harris were, along with Aitken, the middies who saw the most action off the bench although the didn’t run as a unit. Either one of the lefties or Shellenberger in on most possessions.
LaSalla played well but 21 took most face-offs from the middle of the third on.I don’t know whether that was to give the freshman reps or if something happened to LaSalla.
The same four ssdm—Fox, Peele, Salade, and Merle—played. More poles saw the field today, largely because of penalties.
While not as dominant as against Towson, the team faced a better opponent today and was never in danger.
Can Loyola pull off the upset? After their escape against Richmond today, I would anticipate another competitive but not too close game next week.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

rasheed wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:54 pm i don't know half of UVa's players who have played today
Still a star studded cast with few real weaknesses apparent, playing lot's of players in the 1st 2 games, without significant drop off. It is one of the deepest teams that I can recall to be able to win easily without your star goalie, your star attack man, and/or your star midfielder still rounding back into lacrosse shape. Next week will bring a different challenge from always tough Loyola. Even when we appear to hold all the cards in personnel, they have played us evenly over a long period of time. Lasalla has dominated face-offs in the 1st 2 games but Savio is on a different level than his opponents at Towson and Army. This should be an epic matchup within the game, especially with 2 of the best LSM's in Mcnulty and Conners on the wings. Lindley and Olmstead are also terrific veteran players that must be accounted for.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

rasheed wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:43 pm it would appear that we have a bit of depth...how does the Army look compared to years past?
Saying UVA has depth is like saying Kentucky has bourbon. It ain’t fair.
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

:D :D :D :D That's so good...
GSP

Post by GSP »

Army 18
'Cuse 11

Hoos' Army win just became more valuable.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

GSP wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:12 pm Army 18
'Cuse 11

Hoos' Army win just became more valuable.
that's fine for this week but by year end it makes it worse. we play cuse twice and the orange play our acc brethren plenty. it's a negative.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

So much talent on the squad. I think they can out coach Duke when its all said and done.
bananas

Post by bananas »

blue angels wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:49 pm
rasheed wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:54 pm i don't know half of UVa's players who have played today
Still a star studded cast with few real weaknesses apparent, playing lot's of players in the 1st 2 games, without significant drop off. It is one of the deepest teams that I can recall to be able to win easily without your star goalie, your star attack man, and/or your star midfielder still rounding back into lacrosse shape. Next week will bring a different challenge from always tough Loyola. Even when we appear to hold all the cards in personnel, they have played us evenly over a long period of time. Lasalla has dominated face-offs in the 1st 2 games but Savio is on a different level than his opponents at Towson and Army. This should be an epic matchup within the game, especially with 2 of the best LSM's in Mcnulty and Conners on the wings. Lindley and Olmstead are also terrific veteran players that must be accounted for.
What good is all those o star players when one taking most of shots. Felt like watching Harden when he was with Houston
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

bananas wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:13 pm
blue angels wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:49 pm
What good is all those o star players when one taking most of shots. Felt like watching Harden when he was with Houston
lol. when he beats his man, he should pull it back out. see if someone else can can get by their guy, too. the other 'hoos got off 36 other shots somehow. that at least used to be more than most teams averaged. what do you think your squad will average this year?
bananas

Post by bananas »

14 shots is alot when you have several other capable scorers. RU averaged bit more than 40 shots last year and top five offensive threats averaged last year between 7 to 5 with AC leading with around 7 per. Sure UVA takes more shots with more possessions but doubt many much higher than AC was . Kirst did take ten shots in first game but also had 4 assists. Sowers is definitely low keying it with Duke trying to get all involved.
molo

Post by molo »

Loyola wasn't sliding. UVA guys were beating their men for clear shots. Against teams that do slide, there will be more assisted goals since few teams are going to be able to cover Cormier, Bertrand, Shellenberger, and Moore one on one. Quicker slides will lead to quicker ball movement and more assists. While some other teams may have more depth in that they have an array of similar players at the same positions, UVA has four--maybe five if the x factor is ok--who are so close that it is difficult to decide who gets the number one dman.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Has Loyola changed their defensive approach much this year? Always seem to me to use zone more than m2m and would think that would be more effective agaisnt UVA
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

bananas wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:19 pm 14 shots is alot when you have several other capable scorers. RU averaged bit more than 40 shots last year and top five offensive threats averaged last year between 7 to 5 with AC leading with around 7 per. Sure UVA takes more shots with more possessions but doubt many much higher than AC was . Kirst did take ten shots in first game but also had 4 assists. Sowers is definitely low keying it with Duke trying to get all involved.
you seem to be obsessed with shots. we've tried to explain to you what happened vis a vis the loyola scheme.
4 other shots were on cage that didn't actually... score. 1 shot was on cage in army game that didn't go in. so he's scored 8 goals and had 5 shots on cage that didn't go in. i think at least one was a pipe. i'd take whatever wager the majority of the others were backed up and maintained possession. so they survived.

in uva's pregame, i doubt they go over the average shot count of rutgers' leading shot taker and make sure no one goes over it. kirst for his career might reach matt moore's 2019 assist total soon.

shellenberger now has x on manup. he also inverts and takes x in 6 v 6 sometimes as well. between him and bertrand and dickson, they'll invert more than usual. moore will finish this year with more goals than assists as a result of the above in all likelihood. it's okay.

as far as your other post, i don't remember seeing much zone from loyola, though i do suspect uva will be seeing it at times this year from the teams that sometimes use it. they have numerous stretch shooters, but their manup has been poor for years, they're encouraged to force plays (passes), and i'd rather see them shooting from 12 or 14 than 6 if i were playing them.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

bananas wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:39 pm Has Loyola changed their defensive approach much this year? Always seem to me to use zone more than m2m and would think that would be more effective agaisnt UVA
Loyola used Cam Weyers, their best Cover man at Close D against Moore pretty exclusively as far as I could tell, so MTM. Weyers is very very good but it was a total mismatch. Moore ran by him at will. Loyola also didn't slide so Moore was gifted with regular open looks. I would also point out that Loyola's fabulous scorer, Kevin Lindley, is their best offensive player and a star in his own right. He has 7 goals and zero assists this year......How is Rutgahs this year? Hear they have one of their better teams but know little about them.
Last edited by blue angels on Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”