Good News

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ardilla secreta

Re: Good News

Post by ardilla secreta »

The J J Vincent Cremant de Bourgogne is probably the best the the French Cremants I’ve come across. They’re based in the Maconnais and basically use the two most common grades used in Champagne, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.

Here’s my lineup for NYE and home with the Ms AS and cat pal.

Aperitif sparkler - Castellroig Rose, Cava
Dinner sparkler - Champagne L. Aubry (RM) 1er Cru, Jouy-les-Reims
Wild salmon roe canapé on boiled potato
Jumbo shrimp cocktail
Snow crab claws
Tuna tartare ala Aqua Restaurant (SF)
Broiled lobster tail with tarragon butter
Seared scallops
Hot Pockets (50% off)
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:00 pm The J J Vincent Cremant de Bourgogne is probably the best the the French Cremants I’ve come across. They’re based in the Maconnais and basically use the two most common grades used in Champagne, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.

Jumbo shrimp cocktail
Snow crab claws
Seared scallops
Hot Pockets (50% off)
:lol: hot pockets!! Good eating
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:22 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:00 pm The J J Vincent Cremant de Bourgogne is probably the best the the French Cremants I’ve come across. They’re based in the Maconnais and basically use the two most common grades used in Champagne, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.

Jumbo shrimp cocktail
Snow crab claws
Seared scallops
Hot Pockets (50% off)
:lol: hot pockets!! Good eating
Facts!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
AOD

Post by AOD »

Jumbo shrimp cocktail
Snow crab claws
Seared scallops
Hot Pockets (50% off)
Nice! If there are mussels in those Hot Pockets, your meal will amount to a NYE Feast of the Seven Fishes.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

AOD wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:14 am

Jumbo shrimp cocktail
Snow crab claws
Seared scallops
Hot Pockets (50% off)
Nice! If there are mussels in those Hot Pockets, your meal will amount to a NYE Feast of the Seven Fishes.
I wonder if those seared scallops were wrapped in bacon. We all know that everything is better with bacon. I'm guessing Julia Child would have given Ardilla's menu two enthusiastic thumbs up. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ardilla secreta

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:42 am

Jumbo shrimp cocktail
Snow crab claws
Seared scallops
Hot Pockets (50% off)
I wonder if those seared scallops were wrapped in bacon. We all know that everything is better with bacon. I'm guessing Julia Child would have given Ardilla's menu two enthusiastic thumbs up. :D
Bacon is awesome but a good scallop on its own is superb. The bacon wrapped scallop was something you’d see before the arrival of the fresh dayboat or fresh, dry scallops in the mid-90’s. When scallops are fresh they have a dry, tacky feel and you never want to do anything to them but add a sprinkle of salt and white pepper before sitting them in a smoking hot steel or cast iron pan coated with olive oil. In their dry state they’ll develop a nice caramelized crust yet be rare inside. One of my favorite seafoods that I make regularly.

Scallops sold in a preservative blueish brine won’t achieve that crust nor be nearly as good, so you may as well wrap it in bacon or put it in a cioppino.

Dry scallop tips. In better markets, dry scallops shouldn’t be in direct contact with melting ice as it’s imperative to keep them dry. Many will stack them on the cloth bag the come shipped in. If it’s sitting in a blue brine then it’s an inferior product. Scallops usually have a noticeable tendon on one side that needs to be pulled off. It’s too tough to eat. Never oil dry scallops before putting them in a pan. Just place the seasoned items in a just oiled, smoking hot pan. To keep track of their cooking time it’s easiest to start at 12 o’clock and go clockwise. Let’s them develop a browned crust before turning and keep it to one flip. It only takes a few minutes to finish both sides so don’t walk away.

Serve with a bone dry Muscadet or Loire Sauvignon Blanc, a dry, oakless Chardonnay from Burgundy, an Alsatian Pinot Blanc or Riesling, a Gruner Veltliner from Austria, a Rueda (Verdejo) or Rias Baixas (Albariño) from Spain, a Roero (Arneis) from the Piemonte or Greco di Tufo from Calabria in Italy. If you live in Southern Maryland then serve with a Mountain Dew.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:36 pm

Jumbo shrimp cocktail
Snow crab claws
Seared scallops
Hot Pockets (50% off)
Bacon is awesome but a good scallop on its own is superb. The bacon wrapped scallop was something you’d see before the arrival of the fresh dayboat or fresh, dry scallops in the mid-90’s. When scallops are fresh they have a dry, tacky feel and you never want to do anything to them but add a sprinkle of salt and white pepper before sitting them in a smoking hot steel or cast iron pan coated with olive oil. In their dry state they’ll develop a nice caramelized crust yet be rare inside. One of my favorite seafoods that I make regularly.

Scallops sold in a preservative blueish brine won’t achieve that crust nor be nearly as good, so you may as well wrap it in bacon or put it in a cioppino.

Dry scallop tips. In better markets, dry scallops shouldn’t be in direct contact with melting ice as it’s imperative to keep them dry. Many will stack them on the cloth bag the come shipped in. If it’s sitting in a blue brine then it’s an inferior product. Scallops usually have a noticeable tendon on one side that needs to be pulled off. It’s too tough to eat. Never oil dry scallops before putting them in a pan. Just place the seasoned items in a just oiled, smoking hot pan. To keep track of their cooking time it’s easiest to start at 12 o’clock and go clockwise. Let’s them develop a browned crust before turning and keep it to one flip. It only takes a few minutes to finish both sides so don’t walk away.

Serve with a bone dry Muscadet or Loire Sauvignon Blanc, a dry, oakless Chardonnay from Burgundy, an Alsatian Pinot Blanc or Riesling, a Gruner Veltliner from Austria, a Rueda (Verdejo) or Rias Baixas (Albariño) from Spain, a Roero (Arneis) from the Piemonte or Greco di Tufo from Calabria in Italy. If you live in Southern Maryland then serve with a Mountain Dew.
In Southern Maryland they’d be”Bay Scallops’ (Skate wings)with old bay & served with 10oz. Budweiser’s 😂😂
~Livy

holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

One of the good things in the area I haven't had too many other places is Crab Norfolk.

“Melt a piece of butter the size of a hen’s egg in a skillet. When it is hotter than the hinges of hell, dump in half a pound of the best backfin crabmeat. Then add salt and cayenne pepper and a dash each of Worcestershire sauce and cooking sherry for taste. Mix it carefully to avoid breaking up the crab lumps. And when it is sizzling, serve it up.” - Doc Twiford
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

That sounds amazing.
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

holmes435 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:16 pm One of the good things in the area I haven't had too many other places is Crab Norfolk.

“Melt a piece of butter the size of a hen’s egg in a skillet. When it is hotter than the hinges of hell, dump in half a pound of the best backfin crabmeat. Then add salt and cayenne pepper and a dash each of Worcestershire sauce and cooking sherry for taste. Mix it carefully to avoid breaking up the crab lumps. And when it is sizzling, serve it up.” - Doc Twiford
Sounds delicious. In New England it would be ruined with bread crumbs and capers and onion bits. Stick with hot buttered lobster rolls.
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Jumbo shrimp cocktail
Snow crab claws
Seared scallops
Hot Pockets (50% off)

In SoMD if your 86 Camaro is in the shop and you only have access to the nearby Food Lion or WalMart, Mountain Lion or Mountain Lightning are also acceptable substitutes. But only in a pinch.

So my French wine knowledge is severely lacking. What are the main differences (or similarities) between the Old World Sauvignon Blancs from France and the New World styles from Marlborough or the US?

We enjoy the Marborough SBs, especially with a good goat cheese, but we have never had any from France and it sounds like we are severely missing out. We have been stuck in our “safe” rut of what we know and like. Love any info and to branch out!
DMac

Post by DMac »

holmes435 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:16 pm One of the good things in the area I haven't had too many other places is Crab Norfolk.

My last stint in the Navy was at Little Creek, flounder fishing and crabbing was just fantastic. Got myself one of those big surf fishing poles, pretty much like throwing a long clearing pass with a long pole, could get that baby out there a pretty good distance. Got hooked on it (no pun intended) did it quite a bit, fun family outing too. Was pretty common to go home with a bunch of flounder and crabs, and those crabs are just out of this world delicious cooked up in a variety of ways. They're really one of my favorite flavors on the face of the earth....so good.
ardilla secreta

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:57 am

Jumbo shrimp cocktail
Snow crab claws
Seared scallops
Hot Pockets (50% off)

In SoMD if your 86 Camaro is in the shop and you only have access to the nearby Food Lion or WalMart, Mountain Lion or Mountain Lightning are also acceptable substitutes. But only in a pinch.

So my French wine knowledge is severely lacking. What are the main differences (or similarities) between the Old World Sauvignon Blancs from France and the New World styles from Marlborough or the US?

We enjoy the Marborough SBs, especially with a good goat cheese, but we have never had any from France and it sounds like we are severely missing out. We have been stuck in our “safe” rut of what we know and like. Love any info and to branch out!
You can find competent Sauvignon in New World areas like NZ where the soils are a mish-mash of silt, gravel and probably volcanic loam. They are often described as pungent which is a nicer way of saying cat pee. The ancestral home of Sauvignon is in the Loire Valley where the sub soils are limestone. The limestone is essentially fossilized oyster shells. This type of terrior give the wine a vivacious lemon citrus tang and steely mineral streak supported by mouthwatering acidity. The wine is a perfect match to the prominent cheese of the region, goat. When you go to a restaurant in the Loire and are presented the cheese course it will be a variety of goat cheeses like Valencay, Selles-sur-Cher, Crottin de Chavignol (Chavignol is where some of the best Sancerre comes from), Coeur de Berry, Chabichou.

When you drive through the region and see cuts in the landscape you’ll see the white chalky subsoils. In the central Loire the villages of Sancerre and Pouilly are the kings of Sauvignon. The wines of Pouilly across the river known as Pouilly-Fume have some flint in the soil which gives them a subtle smoky nuance. Adjacent to these two villages are the lesser seen satellite villages of Quincy, Menetou-Salon and Reuilly.

Further west on the Loire River you can find excellent Sauvignon from wines labeled Touraine, the region where they are grown around the city of Tours. Primary limestone but a little different. Within the Touraine is the village of Cheverny which makes Sauvignon blended with about 10% Chardonnay and is quite good especially from François Cazin.
AOD

Post by AOD »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:53 am

Further west on the Loire River you can find excellent Sauvignon from wines labeled Touraine, the region where they are grown around the city of Tours. Primary limestone but a little different. Within the Touraine is the village of Cheverny which makes Sauvignon blended with about 10% Chardonnay and is quite good especially from François Cazin.
Thanks for those strong recommendations. My local proprietor was fresh out of the Francois Cazin, so I opted for Domaine Salvard Cheverny Sauvignon Blanc (15% Chardonnay) (a Kermit Lynch import) and Potine Sauvignon Blanc Touraine from Domaine Vincent Richard 2019. Paired that with a couple of cheeses from Cypress Grove, including the outstanding Humboldt Fog, and had just a wonderful evening with my family. Thanks again.
ardilla secreta

Salvard would have been my second choice for Cheverny. Herve Villemade and Clos du Tue-Boeuf (Thierry Puzelat) are also top producers in that area. You may also want to search for Cheverny rouge which is made from a blend of Pinot noir and Gamay.

Two other interesting grapes grown in the Touraine are Côt and Pineau d'Aunis. Côt aka Malbec is totally different than those from Argentina. Brighter, fresher with a nice earthy backbone. Pineau d'Aunis is about a quaffable as it gets. Red fruits and a whiff of black pepper. One of my favorites especially from Olivier Lamasson under the “Poive et Sel” label.
ardilla secreta

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

August 8, 1982. A line drive foul ball hits a four year old boy in the head at Fenway. Jim Rice, realizing in a flash that it would take EMTs too long to arrive and cut through the crowd, sprang from the dugout and scooped up the boy. He laid the boy gently on the dugout floor, where the Red Sox medical team began to treat him.

When the boy arrived at the hospital 30 minutes later, doctors said, without a doubt that Jim's prompt actions saved the boy's life. Jim returned to the game in a blood-stained uniform. A real badge of courage. After visiting the boy in the hospital, and realizing the family was of modest means, he stopped by the business office and instructed that the bill be sent to him.

This is what a sports Hero looks like!

~Livy

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:27 pm August 8, 1982. A line drive foul ball hits a four year old boy in the head at Fenway. Jim Rice, realizing in a flash that it would take EMTs too long to arrive and cut through the crowd, sprang from the dugout and scooped up the boy. He laid the boy gently on the dugout floor, where the Red Sox medical team began to treat him.

When the boy arrived at the hospital 30 minutes later, doctors said, without a doubt that Jim's prompt actions saved the boy's life. Jim returned to the game in a blood-stained uniform. A real badge of courage. After visiting the boy in the hospital, and realizing the family was of modest means, he stopped by the business office and instructed that the bill be sent to him.

This is what a sports Hero looks like!

These people are few and far between, sports or no sports.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”