Conservatives and Liberals

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Brooklyn

Re: Conservatives and Liberals

Post by Brooklyn »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:35 am Excuse me, but is not the Democratic candidate to whom the commissioner is complaining about a white male?

Yup. The right wing critic is too delusional to realize it.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

more illustrations of right wing delusionalism:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Oh the sturm and drang of the Trumpsuckers when Sarah Sanders was denied a meal by a restaurant. SC church refuses to provide communion service for Joe Biden. Hypocrisy much??
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:06 pm Oh the sturm and drang of the Trumpsuckers when Sarah Sanders was denied a meal by a restaurant. SC church refuses to provide communion service for Joe Biden. Hypocrisy much??

I am too mentally tired to write out how these two situations could not be more different, but I suspect you know that they are anyway.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Yeah. One is just some place for dinner. And no, I don't like that nonsense, either. Serve everyone.

The other is run by a guy who is alleged to have read the Bible.

Why do so many people who call themselves Christians skip over the 1st Commandment?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:10 pm Yeah. One is just some place for dinner. And no, I don't like that nonsense, either. Serve everyone.

The other is run by a guy who is alleged to have read the Bible.

Why do so many people who call themselves Christians skip over the 1st Commandment?
It’s convenient?
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CHINOs.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Well I guess its something. The priest who denied Biden claims he is praying for Joe, Probably work out about as well as all those thoughts and prayers for victims of mass shotings. :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:53 pm Well I guess its something. The priest who denied Biden claims he is praying for Joe, Probably work out about as well as all those thoughts and prayers for victims of mass shotings. :lol:
Good for the Priest and the church. I am certain you've never disciplined your children for not following the rules of the home.

BTW - What are shotings? ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:53 am
jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:53 pm Well I guess its something. The priest who denied Biden claims he is praying for Joe, Probably work out about as well as all those thoughts and prayers for victims of mass shotings. :lol:
Good for the Priest and the church. I am certain you've never disciplined your children for not following the rules of the home.

This is, unfortunately, the sort of thing that turns so many off from religious observance altogether.

But note, denial of communion with Christ because a politician does not bring the Church into his politics is NOT Catholic doctrine.

The "rules of the home" do not require such a denial.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:25 am

This is, unfortunately, the sort of thing that turns so many off from religious observance altogether.

But note, denial of communion with Christ because a politician does not bring the Church into his politics is NOT Catholic doctrine.

This has absolutely nothing to do with politics and you know that. The rules of home was a comparison of the children following the rules/teachings of the Father, just like in the church.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:29 am

This has absolutely nothing to do with politics and you know that. The rules of home was a comparison of the children following the rules/teachings of the Father, just like in the church.
Wow, maybe I missed something, either with why Biden was denied Communion, or with what you were trying to say.

Was Biden denied Communion because he is politically pro-choice?
If so, yes, it's entirely about politics.

The "rules/teachings of the Father" (in the Catholic Church) don't require Biden to be anti-choice in his governmental role.
They do pertain to one's personal behaviors in private life.

And the priest is very definitely not "the Father"... though in the moment of providing Communion, the priest is taking that form using the plural pronoun 'we' not 'I"...but he should not be making up His rules.

Based on the priest's letter to the paper explaining, he's claiming doctrine that does not actually exist in Catholicism.
And Biden is an observant Catholic.

Unless a Catholic has been excommunicated (which is obviously not the case here), all Catholics are to be offered Communion by a Catholic priest. It is an act of being with Christ, allowing oneself to be filled with the Holy Spirit, sinners included, with the constant hope of redemption. Some priests (indeed many in the US) will go further and offer Communion to anyone professing to be Christian, to believe in and follow Christ, but that's definitely not required.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

speaking from ignorance here (and not defending the priest because I have no facts), but I thought you had to have been to confession before you could take communion??

I bring it up only as an example of a reason a priest could deny communion to a catholic.

Again - asking more than saying. And I have seen no indication that the priest in question raised that as the rationale.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:29 am This has absolutely nothing to do with politics and you know that. The rules of home was a comparison of the children following the rules/teachings of the Father, just like in the church.
Problem is, this Priest isn't following the #1 rule of the House.

What's the 1st Commandment, YA?
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

The irony of course this is that Christ would have given Biden communion.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Very true, which is why Catholics have far too many rules.
~Livy

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Fire has spread around Simi Valley, Ca. surrounding the Reagan Library and endangering the extensive collection of comic books at the facility. Helicopters, in repeated sweeps, are dumping water around the building, using the trickle down method the late President preferred which will save his library, but render the structures below into a fiery hell.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I hope they are able to save the library’s copy of Bedtime for Bonzo.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:39 am speaking from ignorance here (and not defending the priest because I have no facts), but I thought you had to have been to confession before you could take communion??

I bring it up only as an example of a reason a priest could deny communion to a catholic.

Again - asking more than saying. And I have seen no indication that the priest in question raised that as the rationale.
No, though to give or accept communion to someone not in a state of grace, ie free from mortal sin, would be considered a sacrilege.
But it's not a mortal sin to be politically pro-choice. Now, committing/having an abortion, without subsequent confession and absolution, that's another matter. Same for masturbation, but hey, who's counting!

Moreover, the service itself provides opportunity for 'confession', same as in my Episcopal denomination and most others.

Catholics place a particular importance on the notion that any sin can be washed away through confession, but this doesn't mean that the famous scenes from The Godfather actually represent the sort of real confession intended. But a lot of Catholics believe that simply saying the words is what matters...I disagree, but then I'm not Catholic (lots of my family are though).
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:39 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:29 am

Wow, maybe I missed something, either with why Biden was denied Communion, or with what you were trying to say.

Was Biden denied Communion because he is politically pro-choice?
If so, yes, it's entirely about politics.

The "rules/teachings of the Father" (in the Catholic Church) don't require Biden to be anti-choice in his governmental role.
They do pertain to one's personal behaviors in private life.

And the priest is very definitely not "the Father"... though in the moment of providing Communion, the priest is taking that form using the plural pronoun 'we' not 'I"...but he should not be making up His rules.

Based on the priest's letter to the paper explaining, he's claiming doctrine that does not actually exist in Catholicism.
And Biden is an observant Catholic.

Unless a Catholic has been excommunicated (which is obviously not the case here), all Catholics are to be offered Communion by a Catholic priest. It is an act of being with Christ, allowing oneself to be filled with the Holy Spirit, sinners included, with the constant hope of redemption. Some priests (indeed many in the US) will go further and offer Communion to anyone professing to be Christian, to believe in and follow Christ, but that's definitely not required.
It's all about politics -- the personal politics of the priest. It was his decision. The Catholic church does not require this choice be made by the priest.

Return to “POLITICS”