Conservative Ideology: A Big Lie

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: The GOP, Its Past, Present and Future Direction

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:16 am
old salt wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:46 am
a fan wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:03 am Certainly explains why he sent troops to Saudi Arabia.
I already showed you what forces we sent to SA & why.
Did you bother reading it ?
It's to provide air cover for what we already have there during the upcoming carrier gap.
I absolutely did read it, thank you.

But how does that rebut my point? YA claimed "Orange man has stated he wants to keep us out of another sand war,"

I fail to see how dropping troops in yet another warzone (yemen/iran has attacked SA) keeps us out of another sand war.
Deploying the F-15's, Patriots & THAAD to SA may deter Iran from their next inevitable escalationary provocative move, or intercept it before it hits our forces & prompts a kinetic response on our part. They're there for deterrence & defense of our forces already in theater (UAE/Qatar/Bahrain), but dispersed, farther from Iran & harder to target. They defend against another Iranian cruise missile & drone attack from the north.

Until Iran stops the provocative military actions, we need to defend our forces in the region.
a fan

Post by a fan »

I'm not arguing that point, OS.

I'm saying: clearly this doesn't move our troops out of "another sand war".

I puts them right in the middle. Again.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:56 pm I'm not arguing that point, OS.

I'm saying: clearly this doesn't move our troops out of "another sand war".

I puts them right in the middle. Again.
Our troops in SA are quite able to defend themselves & the rest of our forces within their range.
Very different from the devolving situation for our troops in Syria.
Our forces in SA are not tethered goat tripwires.
Huge difference which makes the constantly changing # of troops in the ME a stupid political talking point.
a fan

Post by a fan »

I think we're talking past each other here. I recognize they're in a "safer" position than they were in Syria. And as I've said multiple times now....clearly I don't care about the politics of this because while I despise Trump, I'm thrilled we're out of Syria.

But that doesn't mean our SA troops are in a safe space. That's all I'm saying.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

and of course they can take care of themselves. If we wanted to, we could pave the entire middle east.

But we don't, and we won't, and

Bring our Men and Women home.....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HooDat wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:15 pm and of course they can take care of themselves. If we wanted to, we could pave the entire middle east.

And reduce the military budget...
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:24 pm
HooDat wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:15 pm and of course they can take care of themselves. If we wanted to, we could pave the entire middle east.

Why? Are you not interested preparedness, technology advances, safety advancements for our troops, education. Just a taste of what is going on. BTW, if we cut too much, our entire financial system goes into a vacuum, with nothing to fill it.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Why? Are you not interested preparedness, technology advances, safety advancements for our troops, education. Just a taste of what is going on. BTW, if we cut too much, our entire financial system goes into a vacuum, with nothing to fill it.
Apparently TLD should have used the wink emoji.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I did say cut it too much. If we are not deploying soldiers in the ME and drinking our boys home, it should be less expensive. Don't you want to enjoy a peace dividend? ;)
“I wish you would!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:16 pm

I did say cut it too much. If we are not deploying soldiers in the ME and drinking our boys home, it should be less expensive. Don't you want to enjoy a peace dividend? ;)
Christ, what a sacred cow. We could cut that bloated black hole of waste 50% and still have the largest Military in the world.

And the r's can then remove all of the Never Trumpers and Swamp dwellers, as it appears the Military is full of them, that they want!
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

WHITE HOUSE PUTTING POLITICAL APPOINTEES IN CHARGE OF PRESIDENTIAL RECORDS ACT COMPLIANCE

"...not just that Russia will be able to hack the White House again. It’s also that some SysAdmin who knows heck about security but who knows how badly Trump needs to suppress or alter key records of his Administration will have the direct access to do that.

In the wake of Trump’s attempt to bury his recent efforts to hide potentially criminal conversations with foreign leaders in a particularly secure server (and in the wake of email or social media retention scandals going back to the first President that Bill Barr helped cover up crimes, Poppy Bush), this concern seems unbelievably important."

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Voter suppression, targeting the young:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/24/us/v ... e=Homepage

At Austin Community College, civics is an unwritten part of the curriculum — so much so that for years the school has tapped its own funds to set up temporary early-voting sites on nine of its 11 campuses.

No more, however. This spring, the Texas Legislature outlawed polling places that did not stay open for the entire 12-day early-voting period. When the state’s elections take place in three weeks, those nine sites — which logged many of the nearly 14,000 ballots that full-time students cast last year — will be shuttered. So will six campus polling places at colleges in Fort Worth, two in Brownsville, on the Mexico border, and other polling places at schools statewide.

“It was a beautiful thing, a lot of people out there in those long lines,” said Grant Loveless, a 20-year-old majoring in psychology and political science who voted last November at a campus in central Austin. “It would hurt a lot of students if you take those polling places away.”

The story at Austin Community College is but one example of a political drama playing out nationwide: After decades of treating elections as an afterthought, college students have begun voting in force.

Their turnout in the 2018 midterms — 40.3 percent of 10 million students tracked by Tufts University’s Institute for Democracy & Higher Education — was more than double the rate in the 2014 midterms, easily exceeding an already robust increase in national turnout. Energized by issues like climate change and the Trump presidency, students have suddenly emerged as a potentially crucial voting bloc in the 2020 general election.

And almost as suddenly, Republican politicians around the country are throwing up roadblocks between students and voting booths.

Not coincidentally, the barriers are rising fastest in political battlegrounds and places like Texas where one-party control is eroding. Students overwhelmingly lean Democratic, with three in four supportive of impeaching President Trump, according to an Axios/College Reaction poll released this month.

Some states have wrestled with voting eligibility for out-of-state students in the past. And the politicians enacting the roadblocks often say they are raising barriers to election fraud, not ballots. “The threat to election integrity in Texas is real, and the need to provide additional safeguards is increasing,” the state’s attorney general, Ken Paxton, said last year in announcing one of his office’s periodic crackdowns on illegal voting. But evidence of widespread fraud is nonexistent, and the restrictions fit an increasingly unabashed pattern of Republican politicians’ efforts to discourage voters likely to oppose them.

“Efforts to deprive any American of a convenient way to vote will have a chilling effect on voting,” Nancy Thomas, the director of the Tufts institute, said. “And efforts to chill college students’ voting are despicable — and very frustrating.”

The headline example is in New Hampshire. There, a Republican-backed law took effect this fall requiring newly registered voters who drive to establish “domicile” in the state by securing New Hampshire driver’s licenses and auto registrations, which can cost hundreds of dollars annually.

The dots are not hard to connect: According to the Tufts study, six in 10 New Hampshire college students come from outside the state, a rate among the nation’s highest. As early as 2011, the state’s Republican House speaker at the time, William O’Brien, promised to clamp down on unrestricted voting by students, calling them “kids voting liberal, voting their feelings, with no life experience.”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:13 am Voter suppression, targeting the young:

At Austin Community College, civics is an unwritten part of the curriculum — so much so that for years the school has tapped its own funds to set up temporary early-voting sites on nine of its 11 campuses.

No more, however. This spring, the Texas Legislature outlawed polling places that did not stay open for the entire 12-day early-voting period. When the state’s elections take place in three weeks, those nine sites — which logged many of the nearly 14,000 ballots that full-time students cast last year — will be shuttered. So will six campus polling places at colleges in Fort Worth, two in Brownsville, on the Mexico border, and other polling places at schools statewide.

“It was a beautiful thing, a lot of people out there in those long lines,” said Grant Loveless, a 20-year-old majoring in psychology and political science who voted last November at a campus in central Austin. “It would hurt a lot of students if you take those polling places away.”

The story at Austin Community College is but one example of a political drama playing out nationwide: After decades of treating elections as an afterthought, college students have begun voting in force.

Their turnout in the 2018 midterms — 40.3 percent of 10 million students tracked by Tufts University’s Institute for Democracy & Higher Education — was more than double the rate in the 2014 midterms, easily exceeding an already robust increase in national turnout. Energized by issues like climate change and the Trump presidency, students have suddenly emerged as a potentially crucial voting bloc in the 2020 general election.

And almost as suddenly, Republican politicians around the country are throwing up roadblocks between students and voting booths.

Not coincidentally, the barriers are rising fastest in political battlegrounds and places like Texas where one-party control is eroding. Students overwhelmingly lean Democratic, with three in four supportive of impeaching President Trump, according to an Axios/College Reaction poll released this month.

Some states have wrestled with voting eligibility for out-of-state students in the past. And the politicians enacting the roadblocks often say they are raising barriers to election fraud, not ballots. “The threat to election integrity in Texas is real, and the need to provide additional safeguards is increasing,” the state’s attorney general, Ken Paxton, said last year in announcing one of his office’s periodic crackdowns on illegal voting. But evidence of widespread fraud is nonexistent, and the restrictions fit an increasingly unabashed pattern of Republican politicians’ efforts to discourage voters likely to oppose them.

“Efforts to deprive any American of a convenient way to vote will have a chilling effect on voting,” Nancy Thomas, the director of the Tufts institute, said. “And efforts to chill college students’ voting are despicable — and very frustrating.”

The headline example is in New Hampshire. There, a Republican-backed law took effect this fall requiring newly registered voters who drive to establish “domicile” in the state by securing New Hampshire driver’s licenses and auto registrations, which can cost hundreds of dollars annually.

The dots are not hard to connect: According to the Tufts study, six in 10 New Hampshire college students come from outside the state, a rate among the nation’s highest. As early as 2011, the state’s Republican House speaker at the time, William O’Brien, promised to clamp down on unrestricted voting by students, calling them “kids voting liberal, voting their feelings, with no life experience.”
Are you really surprised by these scum bags??
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:20 am
seacoaster wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:13 am Voter suppression, targeting the young:

Are you really surprised by these scum bags??
Gosh, not at all. This is part of the strategy: suppress votes more likely than not to go to the opposition. Gerrymander the districts. Pack the courts. Stay white.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:27 am
Gosh, not at all. This is part of the strategy: suppress votes more likely than not to go to the opposition. Gerrymander the districts. Pack the courts. Stay white.

No doubt Seacoaster and JHU72 idolize James Earl Carter, who no doubt called Hugo Chavez' Venezuela’s Electoral System “Best in the World”.
“As a matter of fact, of the 92 elections that we’ve monitored, I would say the election process in Venezuela is the best in the world.”

Should rocks really be thrown so blindly from inside glass houses?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HooDat wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:15 am I can't help but think that if McCain had just picked Lieberman as his running mate, NONE of this would have happened and we would have had an unprecedented example of R's and D's not mattering......

But instead he made the STUPIDEST political decision I have observed in my lifetime.....

McCain in all likelihood would have been a truly, historically awful POTUS. Who you select to be your #2 (really, the single most important decision you can make) says all you ever need to know about a leader. His selection of Palin betrayed McCain's poor decision-making tree; over 4 years, he likely would have made far graver mistakes.

That said, McCain's bad decision gave us Obama, so perhaps it was not the worst decision for America.

I'd say the worst political decision you have seen in your lifetime was the DNC and the media going all in for Hillary Clinton. The people are smarter than you think. And not for nothing, Bernie surely would have beaten Trump.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

r's must not be able to read...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ts-wrapper

"They" are going to hunt down those who are defending the US Constitution?
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:37 am

No doubt Seacoaster and JHU72 idolize James Earl Carter, who no doubt called Hugo Chavez' Venezuela’s Electoral System “Best in the World”.
“As a matter of fact, of the 92 elections that we’ve monitored, I would say the election process in Venezuela is the best in the world.”

Seems like a pretty solid concept.
Venezuela has developed a fully automated touch-screen voting system, which now uses thumbprint recognition technology and prints off a receipt to confirm voters’ choices.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:25 am

Venezuela has developed a fully automated touch-screen voting system, which now uses thumbprint recognition technology and prints off a receipt to confirm voters’ choices.

Oh man would I be all for this. However, any form of voter identification is generally + immediately rejected by one of our two Parties.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:39 am
foreverlax wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:25 am

Oh man would I be all for this. However, any form of voter identification is generally + immediately rejected by one of our two Parties.
"Mr. Carter praised the South American nation for having a voting system that makes verifying results an easy task.

he technological solution developed by Smartmatic, which has been used in Venezuela since 2004, includes touch-screen voting machines that store votes electronically (encrypted and scrambled), and print a paper receipt for each vote. This characteristic, the full implementation of the VVPAT concept, gives the system a great advantage according to Mr. Carter."

So you agree with Carter.

Return to “POLITICS”