Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by wgdsr »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:22 pm
stupefied wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:58 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:12 am I am COMPLETELY in favor of canning all of the scrimmages.

But you know a big reason why they won’t? That stupid videoing policy. The video exchange system.

Can’t tape a scrimmage, and there would be fears that, oh Lord, heavens to Betsy (who IS Betsy?), we can’t possibly have an opposing team have one more game film of us than we have of them.

But, you lose eligibility by playing in a fall or spring scrimmage anyway, so hell, SCRAP THEM.

Play for real, develop your bench, and let more of your team feel like they contributed to an actual Win.

As far as extra game video, these extra games could involve so much more experimentation, roster use, etc., that they would actually give other opponents a hell of a lot more to have to prepare for and get confused about. In and of themselves, they could lead to greater disinformation.

Information warfare. Use it. Do it. Scrap the scrimmage
Disagree on most all.

No longer lose year of eligibility by playing in scrimmages. Did away with that last year.

Time for experimenting and playing roster isn't the regular season when results of each factors equally into these formulaic calculations for postseason selection. Coaches including Danowski coach to win each and every game not to wet feet if game circumstances and margins dont allow. They amazingly tend to know their personnel and their present stages better than fans.

Players are constantly assessed by performances not only in game but in practices. Development and growth happens during the season and players can earn or lose time. When Johnny Rawson actually plays and looks good its' probably because he was readied not because he was held back.

Teams exchange and staffs can watch plenty of game tapes of each other but every week there are wrinkles in approach and strategy tailored to the opponent. That unseen preparation is a important element of coaching and sports in general. Not sure what the particular taping issue is at jhu but certainly no need for practices to be tape that goes beyond internal parties.
Good points, Stupe.

I wondered if scrimmage and eligibility had changed. Thanks for updating me on that. And that point renders pretty much everything else I said as moot.

But to give you the context of my thoughts, I’ll give you two data points from Tony Seaman eras, one at JHU and one from Towson.

The JHU era: the emergence of Dylan Schlott. Those were two beautiful upperclassman years. Yes, he came in with a knee injury that affected his freshman year, and his sophomore year was unremarkable, but holy hell, what a great last two years. I wish other players would do that.

The Towson era: well over half of Tony’s starters somehow got themselves suspended right before their upcoming game against Hopkins, and I figured JHU should win easily. Well, the Towson bench went nuts and Hopkins almost lost. That incident has caused me to always question who might be lurking on anyone’s bench and who could become major contributors.
it is fall scrimmages that no longer count toward eligibility.

spring ones do, including toward a potential medical redshirt count.

score differentials no longer matter. at least the last year or 2, it's rpi. doesn't mean they won't change it someday, but for the most part even the danowski's of the world wait until it's a major blowout and take no chances (very late game or very outmanned opponent).
molo

Post by molo »

That Dino has a counseling degree is not insignificant when considering his approach to players.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

molo wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:03 pm That Dino has a counseling degree is not insignificant when considering his approach to players.
I don't know...how'd that degree help him at Hofstra all those years? He's had the players at Duke...that's the difference.
BTW, I certainly like D and think he's a fine coach.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:07 pm
molo wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:03 pm That Dino has a counseling degree is not insignificant when considering his approach to players.
I don't know...how'd that degree help him at Hofstra all those years? He's had the players at Duke...that's the difference.
Coach Danowski and his crew were giddy to be at Duke.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:35 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:07 pm
Coach Danowski and his crew were giddy to be at Duke.
Indeed... still are I would guess.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

By the way, what did Petro and his staff study when they were undergrads at Hopkins?

Yes, you may use my question as a setup for a joke, but I’m actually asking.

Thanks.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the program no longer lists the preseason scrimmages on their site. perhaps they are trying to discourage people from coming out. The regular school non student weekly paper also lists the all time head to head records, a more accurate read of the program would just include the last 10 matchups.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Dano can get the players at Duke he could not get at Hofstra. You don’t win titles, as a rule, if you don’t have the horses

I read posts from time to time that seem to have as an underlying assumption all teams, coaches etc are equal therefore what works at one school should be applied to other schools.

I prefer the view each team is unique as is each coach and that what works for one team may not be appropriate for another. Recognizing there is still a lot of commonality
tech37

Post by tech37 »

OCanada wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:31 pm Dano can get the players at Duke he could not get at Hofstra. You don’t win titles, as a rule, if you don’t have the horses
That's what I said...
Typical Lax Dad

OCanada wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:31 pm Dano can get the players at Duke he could not get at Hofstra. You don’t win titles, as a rule, if you don’t have the horses

I read posts from time to time that seem to have as an underlying assumption all teams, coaches etc are equal therefore what works at one school should be applied to other schools.

I prefer the view each team is unique as is each coach and that what works for one team may not be appropriate for another. Recognizing there is still a lot of commonality
“You don’t go to Hofstra, you end up at Hofstra”
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:45 pm

Seth won’t appreciate that comment.
Typical Lax Dad

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:09 pm

Maybe he will?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:22 pm

The JHU era: the emergence of Dylan Schlott. Those were two beautiful upperclassman years. Yes, he came in with a knee injury that affected his freshman year, and his sophomore year was unremarkable, but holy hell, what a great last two years. I wish other players would do that.

The Towson era: well over half of Tony’s starters somehow got themselves suspended right before their upcoming game against Hopkins, and I figured JHU should win easily. Well, the Towson bench went nuts and Hopkins almost lost. That incident has caused me to always question who might be lurking on anyone’s bench and who could become major contributors.
Schlott couldn't not play lacrosse his freshman year because in the fall he played football. Maybe he injured is knee late in the fall so he couldn't play. But, there was a rule at the time that you couldn't play sports in two different divisions of competition - i.e. you couldn't play D3 football and DI lacrosse in the same year. At least that was what I was told way back in the mid-90s - I'm sure that has changed. Same issue happened to Abel Kahn a year or two before that. Both guys eventually dropped football and played lacrosse.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Maybe he will?
Shortly after Seth got there, Hofstra dropped football, and then lacrosse moved into the snazzy football facility that is just beyond one of the Hofstra endzones.

Remind you of something that came later at Hopkins?

I always thought the Cordish Center is part dick measuring device.
Typical Lax Dad

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:45 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Maybe he will?
Shortly after Seth got there, Hofstra dropped football, and then lacrosse moved into the snazzy football facility that is just beyond one of the Hofstra endzones.

Remind you of something that came later at Hopkins?

I always thought the Cordish Center is part dick measuring device.
Yes. I like the Hofstra set up.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 61312?s=21

Hopkins is out with the Blue Jays’ all-decade team. Everyone remains disappointed with the 2013 season, but turns out the Class of 2013 did indeed have some terrific players.

This list probably has at least 2 or 3 future Hall of Famers on it, with Tucker Durkin leading the way as a near certainty.

Congratulations to all!

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:19 pm https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 61312?s=21

Hopkins is out with the Blue Jays’ all-decade team. Everyone remains disappointed with the 2013 season, but turns out the Class of 2013 did indeed have some terrific players.

This list probably has at least 2 or 3 future Hall of Famers on it, with Tucker Durkin leading the way as a near certainty.

Congratulations to all!

DocBarrister 8-)
Good team!

Not to be snarky, but I wonder whether there's been a prior decade in which each slot would not have included a 1st team AA?

Agreed on Durkin.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:27 pm Not to be snarky, but I wonder whether there's been a prior decade in which each slot would not have included a 1st team AA?
well in the 80's just off the top of my head - i am 2 short of National HOFers for the slots - excluding SSDM
Federico/Quinn take your pick
Greenberg/Deto/Petro
Dressel/Schneck - Ned would have likely been a third
Cook/Wood
Mitchell

PostScript - Hopkins did have another midfielder make 1st team AA in the 80's - Cantelli in 83 - though most would probably pick Krumenacker for the all decade team I would guess
I of course remembered Morrill is now in the HOF so the 80's is one short of an entire team in the HOF

In the 70's you could have Coker/Kowalchuk/Kohler/DeSimone/Baugher/ and Hot Rod to choose from on midfield
Only Hazelhurt and MacCool made 1st team on D
Riches upon riches at attack with Thomas/O'Neill and Franz
Matthews - goalie
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Happy New Year.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:10 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:27 pm Not to be snarky, but I wonder whether there's been a prior decade in which each slot would not have included a 1st team AA?
well in the 80's just off the top of my head - i am 2 short of National HOFers for the slots - excluding SSDM
Federico/Quinn take your pick
Greenberg/Deto/Petro
Dressel/Schneck - Ned would have likely been a third
Cook/Wood
Mitchell

PostScript - Hopkins did have another midfielder make 1st team AA in the 80's - Cantelli in 83 - though most would probably pick Krumenacker for the all decade team I would guess
I of course remembered Morrill is now in the HOF so the 80's is one short of an entire team in the HOF

In the 70's you could have Coker/Kowalchuk/Kohler/DeSimone/Baugher/ and Hot Rod to choose from on midfield
Only Hazelhurt and MacCool made 1st team on D
Riches upon riches at attack with Thomas/O'Neill and Franz
Matthews - goalie
As some of those guys you have in the '80's were also on the field for Hop in the 70's...
I suspect this wouldn't be HOF level in the '90's and '2000's, but most positions chock a block with 1st and 2nd team AA's at some point in their careers.
Pretty incredible, really.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”