2022 Midterms

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: 2022 Midterms

Post by jhu72 »

Stop making illegal guns look and work just like legal ones - that will solve the problem. :lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:23 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:06 am
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:05 am The hits keep coming. Every time I'm tempted to throw my hands up in despair, over either suspect voting schemes or the abject idiocy/greed of so many voters in America, I have to remind myself that politics is often a swing too far on one side cycle to cycle, and the reversion to the middle eventually comes. It has to, or the country/city/state fails.

Los Angeles is beyond effed for the next 4 years...

How anyone could pull the lever for Karen Bass over Rick Caruso is truly incomprehensible. Bass is a perpetual politician of zero accomplishment, mildly corrupt, fully divisive, at all times seeking to squeeze taxpayers. And as always seems the case with these clowns, not married. Her campaign was a disaster from the get go.

Rick Caruso is a self made billionaire, incredibly ethical, family oriented. who ran an absolutely stellar campaign. Many Democrats came out in support of him. Basically the most accomplished guy you will meet in life. Were we all him.

In the face of this race, Los Angeles is falling apart at the seams, with uncontrolled violent crime, homelessness, and seething anger. Democrats, of course, have run this sh*tshow forever.

So the votes came in late well past election day, *as always*, lifting Bass over Caruso.

My friends in LA are in hysterics, scared for what is about to further befall the city, not knowing if they should stay and simply hire personal guards (like Mexico City...great, huh.) or leave for easier places to raise families like Texas, Tennessee, and Florida.

I truly do not understand how any sane human can identify with the Democratic Party unless you demand change from some of your leaders, in this case regarding crime. Trump gave you a temporary reason to be a Democrat if only because he's a chaotic clown, but he's gone now. If your intention is to remain a Democrat, you must do something today to change what is happening in the cities your run; it's simply not fair to the people who live there, to be under the gun of out of control crime. Looking at you too, Brook, with Minneapolis, or you jhu72 and MD with Baltimore, and so forth.

Maybe crime needs to get that much implausibly worse before you change teams, or your team begins to take this sh*t seriously, but man, this is an historic disaster, electing Bass over Caruso. Shameful. Ominous. Defaulting. Bass over Caruso...just not even real, to be frank. No one normal would make that choice.
"under the gun of out of control crime"

Oh the irony. I thought the answer to all civic problems was a "good (read, white, former college athlete, 'married with children', self-made plutocrat) with a gun or several?

"No one normal would make that choice."

Do you know what a "norm" is?

Yes, 'normal' is voting to eliminate crime.

'Weird' is rewarding politicians who promote it.

Ok, so that's a "no".
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:51 pm Voter frustration: https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClEdY8FA ... Y2NzY3YTc=
$10K says that he hasn't spent five minutes learning how voting works in his county.

$100k says he hasn't spent five minutes learning how voting works in the neighboring States that he's complaining about here.

He's angry because he's TOLD to be angry, rewarding his anger with more clicks.....notice he mentioned Zuckerberg?

Keep clicking. Stay angry.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

a fan wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:55 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:51 pm Voter frustration: https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClEdY8FA ... Y2NzY3YTc=
$10K says that he hasn't spent five minutes learning how voting works in his county.

$100k says he hasn't spent five minutes learning how voting works in the neighboring States that he's complaining about here.

He's angry because he's TOLD to be angry, rewarding his anger with more clicks.....notice he mentioned Zuckerberg?

Keep clicking. Stay angry.
That entire instagram account is centered around ragebait on a non-issue to 99.99% of Americans.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Thanks for taking the time to post that.
“I wish you would!”
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:02 pm
It's what happens when you hand out participation trophies and don't keep score. People don't understand how to cope with losing.

It's gotta be very frustrating indeed to this young millenial. Thinking one is entitled to win every time and yet be told no by a majority voters.

Wonder how we fix it...
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:02 pm
I'm not quite making the bank withdrawal connection with his vote. That was a nice example of what election deniers like Lake and Trump and the hundreds of toadying fools who used the Big Lie have wrought on the country. Thanks GOP.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:54 pm Stop making illegal guns look and work just like legal ones - that will solve the problem. :lol: :lol:
And heeeerres your sign... :lol:
Bill has made a nice living pointing out the logic used by stupid people.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
CU88

Post by CU88 »

What was the r's campaign messaging for 2022 midterm election races?

Inflation.

Crime.

Illegal immigration.

How many committees will they form, and broadcast on TV, in the House once they have control in January to solve these Most Serious issues?

If you suggest 1 or more I will take the Under.
Bart

Post by Bart »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:26 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:54 pm Stop making illegal guns look and work just like legal ones - that will solve the problem. :lol: :lol:
Question: where do most illegal guns come from? How do they originate? How do we stop a gun becoming an illegal gun? I would love to understand how to do this.

Just indicating to get illegal guns off the street sounds nice but just how would you do that? And how would you do that with out crushing the rights of citizens?

I am not looking for a pissing match I am honestly looking to see what type of solutions there are out there with the current system we have.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Bart wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:18 am
Question: where do most illegal guns come from? How do they originate? How do we stop a gun becoming an illegal gun? I would love to understand how to do this.

Just indicating to get illegal guns off the street sounds nice but just how would you do that? And how would you do that with out crushing the rights of citizens?

I am not looking for a pissing match I am honestly looking to see what type of solutions there are out there with the current system we have.
IMO you start getting illegal weapons off the street by making the penalty for getting caught possessing one to be severe enough to make it not worth the risk. A good start is whenever possible make possession of an illegal weapon a federal crime prosecuted in a federal court and you do your time in a federal prison. You want to make a plea deal??? Forget about it unless your willing to give up the individual who sold you the weapon. Then prosecutors can possibly make you a deal, and then maybe not. If you can get out of jail on a Friday morning and have a weapon in your hands that same afternoon that is a huge problem that as a civilized society we can no longer ignore.

Your question about where all these illegal weapons are coming from should be a top priority for the BATF to address. They are the law enforcement agency best equiped to handle it.

It may sound drastic but asset forfeiture can be a powerful motivator. There are a lot of drug dealers who have found that out the hard way.
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

1) Almost all come from gun manufacturers. That’s the place to start.

2) Up the penalties for gun trafficking

3) Not sure rights “will be crushed”. We need better control, not eliminate guns.
“I wish you would!”
Bart

Post by Bart »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:51 am

IMO you start getting illegal weapons off the street by making the penalty for getting caught possessing one to be severe enough to make it not worth the risk. A good start is whenever possible make possession of an illegal weapon a federal crime prosecuted in a federal court and you do your time in a federal prison. You want to make a plea deal??? Forget about it unless your willing to give up the individual who sold you the weapon. Then prosecutors can possibly make you a deal, and then maybe not. If you can get out of jail on a Friday morning and have a weapon in your hands that same afternoon that is a huge problem that as a civilized society we can no longer ignore.
Ok. I think that would be a start if the people actually doing the shooting gave 5 fzucks about doing to prison. IMO they do not.

This approach is reactive. You get put into the system AFTER you already have an illegal firearm. As an owner of many firearms this is something I struggle with.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:55 am

Yes and how do they become illegal. Either stolen of bought legally for that very purpose
That would be a great place to start
3) Not sure rights “will be crushed”. We need better control, not eliminate guns.
Crushed in essence if you started just doing large sweeps infringing of the right of those who are "thought" to have illegal guns. The question is where is the nuanced sweet spot in all of this? I have no clue.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Except for #1 I agree with you 100%. Every weapon legal or illegal is manufactured by gun companies. There are 50 states with wildly different ways of looking at gun ownership. The one quickest fix would be gun owners being strongly encouraged to keep their weapons in a gun safe so it makes it harder for thieves to steal them. The guns finding their way up north from states with very lax controls over who can buy a gun and how many you can purchase that is an issue for the BATF to deal with.
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:06 am

Except for #1 I agree with you 100%. Every weapon legal or illegal is manufactured by gun companies. There are 50 states with wildly different ways of looking at gun ownership. The one quickest fix would be gun owners being strongly encouraged to keep their weapons in a gun safe so it makes it harder for thieves to steal them. The guns finding their way up north from states with very lax controls over who can buy a gun and how many you can purchase that is an issue for the BATF to deal with.
So C&S, Bart, TLD, etc. (not looking for a pissing match either), couple of questions:

How do we create the incentive to keep their weapons in a secure space or safe? and

Can we impose a way that guns, once stolen, cannot be "laundered" in a way that tracing them, as illegal guns, back to their legal owner is impossible? Hope that one makes some sense.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:13 am

So C&S, Bart, TLD, etc. (not looking for a pissing match either), couple of questions:

How do we create the incentive to keep their weapons in a secure space or safe? and

I do not think you can. Pass a law? Then how would you enforce it with out the enforcement being reactionary and the end result would have no impact on the number of guns on the street. This is up to the individual owner and I do not see how that would change. I personally keep mine in a safe. I have too much sentimental and monetary value wrapped up in them and at one point I had young children. Those that are not in a safe are in a lock box easily accessible.

Can we impose a way that guns, once stolen, cannot be "laundered" in a way that tracing them, as illegal guns, back to their legal owner is impossible? Hope that one makes some sense.

I do not understand this one. Do you mean a way of not removing a serial number?
Typical Lax Dad

Bart wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:21 am

I do not think you can. Pass a law? Then how would you enforce it with out the enforcement being reactionary and the end result would have no impact on the number of guns on the street. This is up to the individual owner and I do not see how that would change. I personally keep mine in a safe. I have too much sentimental and monetary value wrapped up in them and at one point I had young children. Those that are not in a safe are in a lock box easily accessible.

I do not understand this one. Do you mean a way of not removing a serial number?
We have a culture problem here, more than anything else.
Work on the culture, reduce manufactured supply in this country, make it more expensive to buy guns and ammo, beyond an initial handgun to protect the home and 25 rounds of ammo.
Can buy bullets at range for practice.
It will take time but that’s where I would start.
I would make gun manufacturers liable for wrongful death.
Guns would have to be registered annually. Guns seized would be melted down.
Work on instituting paid civil service, job training for 18-20 year olds.
Maybe a youth military training/reserve program
May take 20 years to see the benefit but its a long term problem that will take a long term solution.
NRA has had a 40 year head start brainwashing people and buying politicians.

I don’t know where this “all or nothing” mentality comes from. The American seems to be a unique species.
“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Bart wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:21 am

On the second question, yes, that is pretty much what I am asking. The other way to ask it is whether there is a better, harder to eliminate, way of identifying an individual weapon so that it cannot be anonymized (is that a word?)?

On the first, let me disagree for the purpose of this discussion anyway. Consider a "Legal Gun Owners' Responsibility Act" (you need quick names; maybe the Super-Patriot Crime Busting Gun Owners' Act). Certainly there is enough evidence out in the world to be had showing that the migration of a gun from legal to illegal to used in crimes and fatalities to countenance some type of legislation. The act would, for example:

Require registration of the gun at purchase, like your car.
Have a bill of sale and title, like your car.
Have, therefore, a chain of title and ownership, like your car.
Require the owner to take reasonable measures under the circumstance to protect the weapons from theft;
Require report of a theft or loss;
Allow a private right of action by someone injured by a weapon upon a violation of a failure to take reasonable measures to secure the weapon, or failure to report its loss.

Just spitballing, and I know many a person whose hair would fall out if this was enacted tomorrow. But the question is: how to stop (or really, impede) legal guns from becoming illegal guns used in criminal conduct?

Oh, and we should probably get this all moved to the Gun Regulation thread, donchathink?

Return to “POLITICS”