Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kennypowers

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by kennypowers »

Hopkins is releasing their all decade team over the holidays for the various programs. Lacrosse is being released last on 12/31. It hasn't exactly been the best decade in Hopkins Lacrosse history, but who do you all have making the team?

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2019/12/ ... teams.aspx
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Tucker Durkin, Joel Tinney, Pierce Bassett, Ryan Brown, Mike Pellegrino, Wells Stanwick, and Joey Epstein come to mind.
Those players stand out for me.
Ranagan was first team AA as a soph. Maybe on the bubble overall though. Maybe you add Chris Lightner? I'm sure I'm missing some good players though. Shack Stanwick? Brandon Benn? Patrick Foley? Nick Fields?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Most picks are pretty obvious, IMO

A: Brown
A: W. Stanwick
A: S. Stanwick
M: Ranagan
M: Crawley
M: Tinney
D: Durkin
D: Fields
D: Foley
LSM: Pellegrino
SSDM: Castronova
FO: Poppleton
Goalie: Bassett

HM: Dolente, Lightner, Guida, Burkhart, Boland, Wharton, Reilly (if you count just one year of the 2010s, then add Kimmel and Boyle)
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:21 am Most picks are pretty obvious, IMO

A: S. Stanwick
D: Foley

HM: Dolente, Lightner, Guida, Burkhart, Boland, Wharton, Reilly (if you count just one year of the 2010s, then add Kimmel and Boyle)
Almost the same list with the deletion of Shack and Foley. Reilly is better than Foley IMHO and Shack is the 3rd best "32" of the decade.

A: Boland
D: Reilly
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:36 am Almost the same list with the deletion of Shack and Foley. Reilly is better than Foley IMHO and Shack is the 3rd best "32" of the decade.
For awhile Wells was the most underrated Hopkins player of the decade but now I'm starting to think it's Shack.

- Only JHU player in history with 20+ assists in four seasons
- One of just six players with 35+ assists in multiple seasons
- 5th all time in assists with 117
- 7th all time in points with 209 (Boland - 135)
- 26th all time in goals with 92 (8 more than Boland)
- 48 consecutive games with a point (2nd most all time)
- 3-time HM All-American (Boland just once)

Every single one of these stats blows Boland out of the water. Not trying to take anything at all away from Boland, who was a good player and obviously injuries greatly impacted the trajectory of his career, but Shack's body of work speaks for itself. To make a case for Boland over Shack you'd have to just completely ignore the entire concept of statistics. Only thing really in Boland's favor is that he was more of a goal scorer...and yet Shack still wound up with more goals.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:13 am
flalax22 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:36 am Almost the same list with the deletion of Shack and Foley. Reilly is better than Foley IMHO and Shack is the 3rd best "32" of the decade.
For awhile Wells was the most underrated Hopkins player of the decade but now I'm starting to think it's Shack.

- Only JHU player in history with 20+ assists in four seasons
- One of just six players with 35+ assists in multiple seasons
- 5th all time in assists with 117
- 7th all time in points with 209 (Boland - 135)
- 26th all time in goals with 92 (8 more than Boland)
- 48 consecutive games with a point (2nd most all time)
- 3-time HM All-American (Boland just once)

Every single one of these stats blows Boland out of the water. Not trying to take anything at all away from Boland, who was a good player and obviously injuries greatly impacted the trajectory of his career, but Shack's body of work speaks for itself. To make a case for Boland over Shack you'd have to just completely ignore the entire concept of statistics. Only thing really in Boland's favor is that he was more of a goal scorer...and yet Shack still wound up with more goals.
I don’t disagree that Shacks statistics are superior but where was Shack when the game was on the line. i can think of once where you could maybe say he took the game over and won it. Boland did that several times. For all the love Shack gets I maintain he’s very skilled with the player make up of a guy that’s good enough to get you beat. In my opinion his compete level was sub par.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

" If a coach requested that a team not be selected due to the overwhelming number of outstanding student-athletes that went through their program in the last 10 years, we honored that request. "Weak.

Other superlatives
-Player of the decade-Tucker Durkin. HM in order-Tinney, Ryan Brown, Shack.
-Offensive player of the decade-Shack HM Ryan Brown.
-Rookie of the year-Epstein
-Most improved player-Pat Fraser
-Best role player-kuhn
-Best coach-Jameson did a great job in his short tenure
-Story of the decade-no national titles-duh. HM 2013 nonsense, joining big 10.
-Best game-2012 over uva at klockner
-Biggest bust-2013 season. HM 2009 recruiting class John Greeley
-Biggest fail-refs call on kyle wharton goal
-Most underrated player-brandon benn. Scoring machine.
-Opponent I was most happy to see graduate-Joey Sankey.
-Most impressive coach we faced-Danowski.
-Most improved rival-Loyola did an amazing job. HM Penn State.
-Favorite uniform-thot the throwbacks for the maryland game was great.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 am I don’t disagree that Shacks statistics are superior but where was Shack when the game was on the line.
He did have 4 goals and 2 assists in Hopkins biggest win of the decade - the 16-15 quarterfinal win over Syracuse. I also seem to recall OT winners against Navy and Virginia I think? He was there as much as anybody else.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:35 pm
flalax22 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 am I don’t disagree that Shacks statistics are superior but where was Shack when the game was on the line.
He did have 4 goals and 2 assists in Hopkins biggest win of the decade - the 16-15 quarterfinal win over Syracuse.
True and followed up the final four game with a pretty lame effort. It became pretty tiresome to see the Jays lose rivalry games and Ernie celebrate Shacks one assist effort because it kept his scoring streak alive. It’s a hard pill to swallow for a lot of the faithful but Shack was supposed to be a FAR superior player than Wells. Never lived up to that hype in my opinion.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

He did have 4 goals and 2 assists in Hopkins biggest win of the decade - the 16-15 quarterfinal win over Syracuse. I also seem to recall OT winners against Navy and Virginia I think? He was there as much as anybody else.
He also had 5 pts and the OT game winner against Georgetown in the first round in 2018, playing with broken ribs.

One of the biggest reasons the Blue Jays made their only Final Four of the decade, as well as the only quarterfinal since that Final Four. Without him we may not have won more than a single playoff game since 2014. Did he take us to the promised land? No—but neither did anyone else.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:19 pm
He also had 5 pts and the OT game winner against Georgetown in the first round in 2018, playing with broken ribs.

One of the biggest reasons the Blue Jays made their only Final Four of the decade, as well as the only quarterfinal since that Final Four. Without him we may not have won more than a single playoff game since 2014. Did he take us to the promised land? No—but neither did anyone else.
Almost impossible for Shack to live up to the fanfare. Very productive player that killed you with efficiency. Made the correct plays. Nothing flashy just smart decisions.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

bc one guy on an internet forum, he's the most underrated player of the decade?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:08 am -Biggest fail-refs call on kyle wharton goal
he turned, wasn't pushed, and dove. if this was the worst call in 10 years, you shouldn't have any ref problems for the next 10 years.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:18 pm
bc one guy on an internet forum, he's the most underrated player of the decade?
Underrated Hopkins player, and no, it hasn't been just one post.

If not him, then who? Dying to hear your input on this.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

yeah, i got that it's an all-decade team being created and it's hopkins.

who else was ditching shack in that discussion, curious? no, i don't have an opinion (actually i do, but not worthwhile). really just wondering if we're a little jumpy on a diff of opinion from one guy.

you can pass on any reply, just thought going straight to hyperbole was odd.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:37 pm yeah, i got that it's an all-decade team being created and it's hopkins.

who else was ditching shack in that discussion, curious? no, i don't have an opinion (actually i do, but not worthwhile). really just wondering if we're a little jumpy on a diff of opinion from one guy.

you can pass on any reply, just thought going straight to hyperbole was odd.
There is a very long history here, dating back since almost the moment he started his college career (though it really picked up in subsequent years), of several posters making underhanded digs and passive aggressive jabs at Shack's effectiveness (sometimes more overt than that). A lot of it has to do with the hype he came in with as a freshman, and people think that because he wasn't literally the best player in the country, as some hoped he'd be, that means he was a disappointment. Again—not just one post in this particular discussion, it goes back awhile. OC usually parachutes in at some point to explain how Shack was dealing with some relatively serious injuries that may or may not have hindered his production somewhat. In any event, it's been a longstanding sentiment shared by more than one person here, hence my comment that he may be the most underrated (underappreciated is probably a better word) JHU player of the decade. Saying Boland was better was just an especially egregious icing on the cake, IMO.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

What no love for Epstein?
He set the freshman scoring record at Hopkins.
Could end up being one of the all-time greats.
I realize he's only had one year in this decade, but I'd put him on my team.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Another sign of the decade of despair - only two members on the All-time Hopkins team - Durkin and Brown - fewer than the 90's even - worst decade by far in that regard - though I am very puzzled by the absence of Wells and Shack - with those two it would still be the fewest
GSP

Post by GSP »

The decade does not end until midnight on 12/31 of 2020!

The decade will only be nine years old next Tuesday night. Can we please refrain from premature ejacu...?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”