Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxGnome22

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxGnome22 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:58 pm
LaxGnome22 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:48 pm Here’s a question that I am not sure anyone has had experience with. My daughter has been getting hits on her still active sports recruit page the last week. Two top 30 teams multiple times. She’s been committed since September. Is this normal? She hits Live Love Lax next weekend for the start of the final tournaments (thank god). I have heard comments in the past that it happens depending on the sliminess of the coach. Has this happened to anyone?
Not a big deal for profile views. Some coaches just go through all of their saved players. Now if they are looking at videos, then that it something else.
It was video views, multiple times
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:48 pm Here’s a question that I am not sure anyone has had experience with. My daughter has been getting hits on her still active sports recruit page the last week. Two top 30 teams multiple times. She’s been committed since September. Is this normal? She hits Live Love Lax next weekend for the start of the final tournaments (thank god). I have heard comments in the past that it happens depending on the sliminess of the coach. Has this happened to anyone?
Not a big deal for profile views. Some coaches just go through all of their saved players. Now if they are looking at videos, then that it something else.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 10:02 pm
It happens and pretty open secret among the coaches. My daughter's college coach told her class after a committed event where they turned some heads: "When they call you, you call me."
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:25 am
It happens and pretty open secret among the coaches. My daughter's college coach told her class after a committed event where they turned some heads: "When they call you, you call me."
That was going to be one of my questions. I guess if they contact her she should let the coach know. Although one of them was her top choice.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:36 am
That was going to be one of my questions. I guess if they contact her she should let the coach know. Although one of them was her top choice.
On the men’s side of things - this is a pretty open practice. Certain coaches have made it clear that they will still recruit top players until they sign their NLI.

This is a regular occurrence in other sports as well.

If a coach can change their mind on players or applying for another job, then kids should have the same opportunity.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

Brownlax wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:24 am
On the men’s side of things - this is a pretty open practice. Certain coaches have made it clear that they will still recruit top players until they sign their NLI.

If a coach can change their mind on players or applying for another job, then kids should have the same opportunity.
WLax seems like the only sport where recruiting stops once a commitment has been made versus when the NLI is signed, and I don't think there's a coach out there that wants to be the first to break that trend -- I'm sure the entire community will go after their players at that point.

I'll bet this trend does break in the near future, especially knowing that some schools will be left behind in the unlimited scholarship/paying players phase of collegiate athletics due to financial abilities. Example: why would a Syracuse, BC, or Denver commit that's going to pay $40-60k a year not listen to a Florida, Clemson, or Penn State coach, where they could go to school for free AND make money?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:12 pm

WLax seems like the only sport where recruiting stops once a commitment has been made versus when the NLI is signed, and I don't think there's a coach out there that wants to be the first to break that trend -- I'm sure the entire community will go after their players at that point.

I'll bet this trend does break in the near future, especially knowing that some schools will be left behind in the unlimited scholarship/paying players phase of collegiate athletics due to financial abilities. Example: why would a Syracuse, BC, or Denver commit that's going to pay $40-60k a year not listen to a Florida, Clemson, or Penn State coach, where they could go to school for free AND make money?

Speaking from experience. My 25-committed daughter has received a few profile views, but no video views. However, multiple schools reached out to her club coach asking how solid her commitment was. All of these schools are schools which are ranked higher than the school she committed to. And 2 of them are schools that didn't start recruiting her until late September, a week before she committed.

For a high school and club teammate whose coach just left though, that girl has probably gotten 10-15 coaches reaching out in past 3 weeks.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:44 pm

Speaking from experience. My 25-committed daughter has received a few profile views, but no video views. However, multiple schools reached out to her club coach asking how solid her commitment was. All of these schools are schools which are ranked higher than the school she committed to. And 2 of them are schools that didn't start recruiting her until late September, a week before she committed.

For a high school and club teammate whose coach just left though, that girl has probably gotten 10-15 coaches reaching out in past 3 weeks.
Did your daughter tell her future coach? I would assume if you are entertaining it you don’t.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:57 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:44 pm

Speaking from experience. My 25-committed daughter has received a few profile views, but no video views. However, multiple schools reached out to her club coach asking how solid her commitment was. All of these schools are schools that are ranked higher than the school she committed to. And 2 of them are schools that didn't start recruiting her until late September, a week before she committed.

Did your daughter tell her future coach? I would assume if you are entertaining it you don’t.
No She didn't. But club coach told all schools she is firmly committed. If a school directly reached out to her, she would tell her future coaches.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

I hear what you are saying. Denver, BC and Syracuse have very competitive aide packages. Florida is a strong academic school and out of state tuition (along with lax or edu aid) make is a nice option. Clemson may have nice facilities, but their academics are meh at best. BC, Syracuse, PSU, and Florida also have prominent alumni networks that are also extremely helpful for internships, jobs, etc.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Don’t kid yourself that it doesn’t go on in girls lacrosse. Look at some of the late switches with 2024 class. My daughter had two coaches say we are going to keep
Recruiting you after she picked a different school.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

UO22 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:58 am

I hear what you are saying. Denver, BC and Syracuse have very competitive aide packages. Florida is a strong academic school and out of state tuition (along with lax or edu aid) make is a nice option. Clemson may have nice facilities, but their academics are meh at best. BC, Syracuse, PSU, and Florida also have prominent alumni networks that are also extremely helpful for internships, jobs, etc.
BC and PSU offer almost no academic merit whatsoever. Not sure if the aid packages you are referring to are athletic only, but often girls want or need both to make a school viable.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

lacrossemwj wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:21 am
UO22 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:58 am

BC and PSU offer almost no academic merit whatsoever. Not sure if the aid packages you are referring to are athletic only, but often girls want or need both to make a school viable.
PSU already has pretty low tuition. In state obviously is much lower but I would assume even out of state is way lower than private schools like BC, NW etc...
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

PSU out of state is 50k. MSU and OSU are 37-42k respectively. BC/NU 65ish.

I wouldn't call PSU tuition low. Lol.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

tothedraw wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:12 pm PSU out of state is 50k. MSU and OSU are 37-42k respectively. BC/NU 65ish.

I wouldn't call PSU tuition low. Lol.
I didn't know out of state was that high, I went there in-state. Now, the In state $ is about 20k/year which is really good for a well known school with a big alumni network.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

Poaching season starts Saturday.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Deacon022 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:16 am Poaching season starts Saturday.
???
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

spidey44 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:56 am
???
First major summer club tourney-- Live Love Lax . He is implying some coaches will be approaching committed 25s.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:57 pm
???
First major summer club tourney-- Live Love Lax . He is implying some coaches will be approaching committed 25s.
Ahhh..well my kid falls in that camp. Never crossed my mind. I'll check back in Monday lol.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

spidey44 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:11 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:57 pm
???
Ahhh..well my kid falls in that camp. Never crossed my mind. I'll check back in Monday lol.
From my experiences, its rare for a coach to directly go to a player unless there was a strong pre-existing relationship. Usually funneled through a coach or other intermediary.

Also, next weekend, 100% of D1 coaches will be watching 26s, not 25s.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”